PDA

View Full Version : Trial and Error (Jacali and spada)

Sarr Koon
Jul 1st, 2004, 08:29:20 PM
The Kel Dor was atop his Starmite Class Freighter attempting to successfully install a ariel. He had been taught how to fly a ship but he knew little on the mechanics of one. His ship was in a docking bay located on the grounds of the Jedi Order. Sarr had just recently purchased the ship, and it needed some heavy work done on it. Although...the test flight hadn't been as bad as he suspected it would.

A fellow Padawan of Shade Magus, Spada, had promised to help Sarr repair the hunk of junk. He had sent a message to the Padawan asking him to come and help on repairs. Spada was also a Kel Dor and they shared a room on the grounds. The room was designed to filter out oxygen so the two Kel Dor could take off their masks while they slept. Sarr was more then use to his anti-oxygen mask, but it still felt good to take it off every night.

Sarr put the tool he was using to splice the wires back inside of the tool box. After a bit of cutting and twisting several different wires together, he thought he had done it right and was ready to test out the new addition. The Kel Dor leaped off the top of his ship and landed gracefully on the ground. He walked up the ramp leading into his ship and ducked his head at the entrance.

Once inside, Sarr went to the cockpit and threw the switch to power up the ship. Immediatly he heard a rather unpleasant sound coming from the ariel he thought he had installed successfully. A minor explosion could be heard and the Kel Dor quickly turned off the power. Where is Spada the frustrated Kel Dor thought to himself. He went back outside to see the damage he had inadvertently caused.

imported_Jacali Danner
Jul 1st, 2004, 09:48:19 PM
Padawan Learner, Jacali Danner had been lurching amongst the ships, studying outside detail and finishes when she heard a pop and a fizzle and then a much louder pop.

She saw the sparks coming off an older style Starmite Class Freighter. Whatever it was, just got fried.

Jacali took a closer look as she heard the engines power down, looked like an ariel. Bad wiring job.

The noise drew some attention of other Jedi pilots walking about.

Being that the ship was as Jedi ship and Jacali being the helpful mechanical Padawan she walked up the ramp. "Hello?" She called at the top and stopped to see if the owner was going to come out.

Sarr Koon
Jul 1st, 2004, 10:14:48 PM
As the Kel Dor made his way to the top of the ramp he nearly ran into a woman that was standing there. If not for his excellent response time, he would have. She was human and had red hair he observed.

"Hi. I suppose you heard all the racket out there that I caused. I'm Sarr Koon."

He extended a clawed hand to the human female.

imported_Jacali Danner
Jul 2nd, 2004, 09:29:33 AM
Jacali shook his hand. "Jacali Danner, nice to meet you, Sarr. Ummm, yeah. I heard and I saw. Need any help?"

Sarr Koon
Jul 2nd, 2004, 09:44:49 AM
It seemed that this was the Kel Dor's lucky day. He would have two individuals helping him on the reparing of his beat up Starmite Class Freighter. The tear drop shaped vessel would be running smoothly in no time. Then it was just a matter of improving shielding and weapons. Costly, of course, but more then worth it.

"Since you are gracious enough to offer your services, then yes, some help would be nice. Follow me."

Sarr stepped past her and continued down the ramp of ship. He pointed up to the device he had tried to install on the vessel.

"The first problem is there. Apparently I did a bad splicing job, and the rest speaks for itself."

imported_Jacali Danner
Jul 2nd, 2004, 10:15:28 AM
"Okay, well I can take a look at it and see what I can do." She said as she walked over to the ladder that led up to the arial.

Jacali climbed up and opened the outer panel to get to the wiring. A lot of it was charred black.

"This may take a few minutes." She said as she cut the wires apart and cleaned them up. Some of which she had to cut off completely. The resplicing came easy once she got rid of the charred remains.

"Okay," she smiled as she came back down. "Go give it a try now."

Sarr Koon
Jul 2nd, 2004, 10:32:46 AM
The Kel Dor watched as Jacali worked on correcting whatever it was he had done. It appeared that she had no trouble at all dealing with the problem and Sarr was quite impressed. The human female was apparently skilled in the area of mechanics.

After Jacali was finished with the rewiring and came back down from the ship, Sarr made his way to the interior of his vessel. Once in the cockpit, he again flipped the switch to power up the ship. This time there were no unpleasant reactions to be heard from the top of his ship.

Sarr glanced at the control panel and saw that the aerial was functioning properly and without errors. He powered down his ship and stepped back outside.

spada
Jul 2nd, 2004, 05:57:40 PM
Spada was slowly walking towards one of the large Hangar doors which Sarr had landed his Sarmite Freighter inside. Although he moved in the right direction, he payed no attention to people passing by, his eyes transfixed on a datapad which he was absorbed in. His face was wrinkled all over, suggesting his painstaking concentration on the datapad. He haphazardly strode up to the teardrop of a ship and did not care to look up or call out to anyone that he was there.

He remained in the same spot for a few minutes until he heard a sizzling and some popping noises, followed by a smell of burning rubber and wires, that which Spada detested. Hearing the familiar voices of Sarr and Jacali, he crouched over and saw two pairs of feet standing and facing each other. Sliding his datapad slowly into his cloak, he very slowly walked around the ship, carefully looking over it's hull and open panels.

After the long trip around the shuttle, Spada nearly walked into Sarr as he was stepping out of the cockpit. Spada hopped to one side just as he was about to collide, dodging him and saying,

"Sounds like you've been having some trouble..."

Sarr Koon
Jul 3rd, 2004, 09:44:40 AM
"Spada, there you are. Yes I had difficulty installing something simple, due to my lack in mechanical prowess. Thanks to Ms. Danner here," the Kel Dor gestured to her, "It is now operating correctly. However, there are still more repairs to be made."

imported_Jacali Danner
Jul 3rd, 2004, 10:15:54 AM
"I'd be more than happy to give you a hand. Working on ships is what I love to do and if it were to aid a fellow Jedi, it would be more than worth the while." The young Padawan offered.

spada
Jul 3rd, 2004, 08:44:35 PM
Spada stood and listened to Jacali as he tried to remember the flight he and Sarr were on in the freighter. Strangely, he could not remember a thing about the ship, or its problems. Keeping his composure on the outside, he said,

"Now, since Jacali was not with us in the test flight, maybe you should brief her on the issues we've been having..."

Sarr Koon
Jul 3rd, 2004, 09:16:18 PM
"The hyperdrive seems to be in decent shape, but it could use a little tuning. The repulsors need some adjusting as well. I wasn't satisfied with those when I lifted off for the first time. The engines could use a little more power. Perhaps some hull repairs could be made and new plating added."

imported_Jacali Danner
Jul 3rd, 2004, 09:35:33 PM
"Well, that over all doesn't sound too bad. At least it's not a complete overhaul. But, it will take some time and as I said I'd be glad to help out."

spada
Jul 4th, 2004, 06:42:12 PM
Just after Jacali replied, Spada said,

"Now, you understand if we bought new plating for the ship, that could set us back quite a bit. I was thinking maybe we could bang out those dents, only buy panels that are missing, and maybe tinker with the deflector shields to get them back to the way they should be." Spada paused a moment, saying, "Just an opinion since we don't have a great deal of money."

Sarr Koon
Jul 4th, 2004, 08:29:23 PM
"I will leave the spenditures up to you Spada. Your suggestions are wise. Where should we start?"

imported_Jacali Danner
Jul 4th, 2004, 09:19:45 PM
"Well, I always start wherever the most work is needed." Jacali offered her opinion.

spada
Jul 5th, 2004, 12:34:11 PM
Spada pitched his opinion, beggining to remember the flight a bit better,

"Maybe we should start off with the repulsors. The ship's no good if it can't take off, and I also heard some wierd sounds going on when the landing gear retracted."

Sarr Koon
Jul 5th, 2004, 06:59:53 PM
"Then it's settled. We will start there."

imported_Jacali Danner
Jul 5th, 2004, 08:55:26 PM
"Sounds great, what do you guys have tool wise?" Came Jacali's next question.

spada
Jul 6th, 2004, 08:34:58 PM
Spada looked to Sarr, saying,

"Umm, I didn't bring any tools. Do you have them Sarr?"

Sarr Koon
Jul 6th, 2004, 10:43:39 PM
The Kel Dor nodded his head.

"There is a box of tools on top of my ship," he said indicating with a clawed finger.

imported_Jacali Danner
Jul 7th, 2004, 03:14:15 AM
Jacali looked up and saw the exposed tool box. "Ah, alrighty that'll do. Bring them on down and we can get to work."

Working on the repulsors was going to be a very dirty job, they often were just filled with dust and nasty stuff. But, a little dirt and grim never hurt Jacali, she was quite used to it.

She enjoyed working on engines and whatever she could get her hands on, it was just what she did.

spada
Jul 7th, 2004, 07:29:04 AM
Spada held his hands out to the others, saying,

"Wait! Let me get the tools..."

Holding his right hand out, he lifted the toolbox with telekenesis and allowed the box to gently float down to the ground.

"Just trying to get some practice."

Sarr Koon
Jul 7th, 2004, 12:49:17 PM
"Tell me what I have to do."

imported_Jacali Danner
Jul 8th, 2004, 07:03:39 AM
"Okay, the outer sheilding will have to come off and when it does it'll probably be filled with dust and who knows what else. I've seen skeletons of small birds and stuff in there. Which is kinda gross, but anyway we gotta clean all that out."

She walked over to the nearest repulsar and carefully took off the outer sheilding and just as she assumed a bunch of gunk was in there.

Jacali cleaned it off. "That wasn't as bad as some I've seen. Okay, here's the inner sublit covering, it should disengage easily."

It didn't.

She tried again and still it didn't move. "Well, it's supposed to disengage, but the mechanism must be stuck or broken." Jacali grabbed a hammer and gently began to tap around the covering and listening carefully then put it down. "Three of the holding tags aren't working."

spada
Jul 13th, 2004, 10:24:45 AM
Spada was crouched on the other side of the repulsor, running his hand along the sublit covering until his fingers reached the edge, where he noticed a tiny crack running along a space between the covering and the ship itself. Reaching into the toolbox, he removed a small, picklike object. Poking it into a small crack, he slid it along the crack until it hit something hard, one of the holding tags. Putting the pick down, he removed a marker and put a mark where one of the holding tags was. He continued this until he found 3 of the tags.

"Alright, the tags are on these 3 marks. I can't think of another way of getting the tags loose other than just cutting them. What do you guys suggest?"

OOC- I am not so familiar with a ship's anatomy so if i screwed up anywhere tell me

Sarr Koon
Jul 13th, 2004, 11:04:18 AM
Sarr turned to Jacali. His experience with mechanics was minimal. He knew how to fly and operate a ship, but the maintenance of one was something entirely different.

imported_Jacali Danner
Jul 13th, 2004, 11:24:15 PM
Jacali bit her lip as she thought for a few moments. "Well, they can be cut, but then we'll have to bore them and you'll have to get three replacements, which I can probably find at a junkyard I know of."

She looked at Sarr. "They are already damaged enough to have to replace them anyway and I can get the replacements fairly cheap, so it's your call."

Garret Treborn
Jul 14th, 2004, 01:43:41 AM
OOPS!!! LMAO!!!

Sarr Koon
Jul 14th, 2004, 01:44:35 AM
"That sounds fine, Jacali."

spada
Jul 18th, 2004, 09:45:51 AM
Spada nodded to them and took out of the toolbox a hammer. Placing the pick on one of the marks, he gently began to tap the covering until he had a small hole drilled in. Rotating the pick, he gave a quick jab at it and the tag fell off with a pop noise.

"Hmmm...It didn't break in half. Maybe we can reuse that one. Jacali, could you do the same with the other 2 tags? I'll try to get this tag out."

imported_Jacali Danner
Jul 23rd, 2004, 09:29:46 PM
"Sure, I think that one can be reused. It looks pretty good." She answered and went to work on the next one.

It broke in two.

"Well, that's one we'll have to buy."

Sarr Koon
Jul 27th, 2004, 05:04:25 PM
Sarr didn't want to feel like he wasn't helping so he mimicked Jacali and Spada. The third one broke in two as well.

imported_Jacali Danner
Jul 27th, 2004, 08:15:52 PM
"Well, only three more repulsors to open up and then the real fun can begin."

spada
Jul 30th, 2004, 08:38:20 PM
Spada was using tweezers to remove the tag from the hole when he heard a snap from Sarr's attempt to free the sublit covering. He looked to them and smiled, saying.

"I guess I got the luckiest hands here." Just after saying it, the tag slipped from his tweezers and fell down again.

"I'm just not nimble enough for this. Can you try this Jac? Sarr, could you do me a favor and open up that repulsor on the other side and start cleaning it? I'll get to another one and when they're all open we can start fixing them up. Sound good?"

As he started walking to one of the repulsors, he said to Sarr,

"Oh yea, and if one of the tags doesn't disengage again, try to blow them off with the force. Maybe that'll work better."

imported_Jacali Danner
Aug 4th, 2004, 09:48:02 PM
"I don't like to use the Force for manual labor, it exercises my mind more if I don't." Jacali smiled as she took the tweezers and concentrated on getting the tag, it was out in a few moments.

"There, now we can take off the inner support cuff and clean the gyro-servomotor. This has to be done carefully, there's crystals in there that can be damaged and those are expensive. Even from a junk shop." Jacali informed them.

Sarr Koon
Aug 7th, 2004, 06:41:15 PM
The Kel Dor nodded at his friend and went off to work on the repulsor that had been indicated. He had a good enough idea of what he was doing now.

spada
Aug 14th, 2004, 04:48:36 PM
Spada pretended not to pay attention to Jacali's remark, but smiling under his mask he walked to another one of the repulsors. Removing the outer covering, he found it slimy and dirty, as he expected. After cleaning it out, he tried to disengage the inner covering.

Placing his head close to the covering, he heard 3 small clicks and 1 unusual sound. Looking down the crack in the covering as he did with the other repulsor, he saw 1 of the tags broken in half.

Removing the covering, he said to them,

"Alright thats 2 of them. I-"

Moving his elbow, Spada accidentally bumped the replusor and a crystal jiggled loose and began to fall to the ground. Reacting quickly, he shot his hand out and grabbed it as gently as possible. Frantically eyeing the crystal, he breathed a sigh of relief.

"Thank the force. It didnt chip or crack. I think I'll stay away from the delicate stuff from now on."

imported_Jacali Danner
Aug 14th, 2004, 08:33:23 PM
Jacali smiled gently. "I know the feeling, I broke one of two in my lifetime and I'm sure I'll break some more before I die. I just hope not any of these." She began cleaning again, working like this always made her forget the other limitations she had. Jacali would pick working on a ship over anything else, unless it was something her master wanted.

Sarr Koon
Aug 22nd, 2004, 07:54:40 PM
The Kel Dor finished the cleaning of another repulsor. Walking back over to Jacali and Spada he showed them 2 whole tags and one that had split.

spada
Sep 6th, 2004, 02:01:20 PM
Spada looked into Sarr's hand, saying,

"Nice."

Looking up, he said to them,

"I don't think I should work on these repulsors. They're a little too delicate. I think I'll check the cockpit."

imported_Jacali Danner
Oct 13th, 2004, 08:48:19 PM
"I'll comm Felix at the garage tomorrow and have him order some tags from another salvage yard. Shouldn't be too hard to do. This was the last repulser to be cleaned. We can use the good tags to put two of the repulsers back together, that dirt in them was nasty. It was wonder it ran at all, being so clogged up."