PDA

View Full Version : Concern over processes.

Droo
Jul 1st, 2004, 07:21:26 AM
Attatched there is a jpg of all the processes running on my computer from about five minutes ago and I thought to myself, I'd never remembered Windows running so many processes when I'm only using one program, which was at the time Firefox, so I took a screenshot and hoped that some of you guys could help me out with this.

Are there any processes there that don't have to be running or shouldn't be there at all?

Marcus Telcontar
Jul 1st, 2004, 07:35:14 AM
bargains.exe screams spyware to me. so does settings way.exe

However, if you really want to see what your PC is runnign, click Start / Run and then type 'msconfig'. screen shot the Startup tag. I'd like to see that.

ReaperFett
Jul 1st, 2004, 08:56:13 AM
Originally posted by Marcus Telcontar
bargains.exe screams spyware to me. so does settings way.exe

Unless he shares the computer with David Dickenson :p

I'd also add to the potentials list jusched and atiptaxx.

Figrin D'an
Jul 1st, 2004, 10:09:29 AM
Originally posted by ReaperFett
Unless he shares the computer with David Dickenson :p

I'd also add to the potentials list jusched and atiptaxx.

jusched is the Java Updater. Not really necessary, but not harmful.

atiptaxx is an ATI video card utility.

Bargains is definately adware.

Edit: To remove, look for "Bargain Buddy" in your Add/Remove programs meau, uninstall it, then run Spybot to clean up the residuals.

SETTINGS WAY is pretty suspect.

A really useful site for looking up system processes:

http://www.answersthatwork.com/Tasklist_pages/tasklist.htm

Droo
Jul 1st, 2004, 11:41:21 AM
Thanks for all your help. I've uninstalled Bargain Buddy, run Ad-aware and Spybot. For Marcus, the screenshot was too big to attatch to my post so it is in the miscellaneous gallery for you if you want to check it out and Fig, I'll check that list for Settings way, thanks for that.

Katina Van-Derveld
Jul 1st, 2004, 11:56:42 AM
I replied in the Gallery.

Droo
Jul 1st, 2004, 07:02:20 PM
ok, thanks. Took your advise and sorted out which of those processes, including the ones you had listed, didn't belong there and disabled them and uninstalled those possible. Still a little iffy on the settings way.exe though.

Droo
Jul 1st, 2004, 07:19:32 PM
Update: So I restarted my computer and on start up I got this message informing me that because I have altered the Startup Modification Utility or somesuch I should restore my settings to "normal startup". Thinking there was something wrong I did as such and now all those iffy processes are up and running again, should I leave them or ignore the message and continue without changing?

Katina Van-Derveld
Jul 1st, 2004, 07:57:56 PM
There should be nothing in your startup list that is absolutely essential. Many of the items there are perfectly valid, but are also completely unnecessary. I saw nothing that should negatively impact your system should you disable it.