PDA

View Full Version : Please tell me this isn't for real...

Lady Vader
Jun 30th, 2004, 11:42:29 AM
:x

http://mdn.mainichi.co.jp/photospecials/0406/ice-cream04/01.html

LW... did you see any of this while in Japan???

Slayn Cloak
Jun 30th, 2004, 12:01:35 PM
yuk...

Katina Van-Derveld
Jun 30th, 2004, 12:41:30 PM
Well, Mainichi is a serious Japanese news site. Although those jokes make Reaperfett look like the height of hilarity. ;)

imported_Jacali Danner
Jun 30th, 2004, 03:09:24 PM
Gross!!!

Linn O'Conner
Jun 30th, 2004, 04:48:41 PM
Oh, dear heavens, I hope this isn't true!!!:x

Crystal
Jun 30th, 2004, 05:20:53 PM
The seaweed one I could see. Japanese put seaweed in everything.

My dad has some sort of allergy or something to it, he vomits as soon as he swallows anything with seaweed on it.. even if he can't tell. He likes japanese crackers and other things, so I've seen him vomit because of it a few times.. and I usually get the rest of whatever he was eating.

Mmm garlic ice cream.

Kieran Devaneaux
Jun 30th, 2004, 05:42:38 PM
There is also Japanese pizza, which uses squid ink instead of tomato paste for their sauces - and one of their favorite toppings is sweet corn. (Don't ask, someone just told me about it.)

Lady Vader
Jun 30th, 2004, 09:00:10 PM
Squid ink?? o_O

Linn O'Conner
Jun 30th, 2004, 09:27:28 PM
Whoa! The Japanese have some major personal issues!

Figrin D'an
Jul 1st, 2004, 01:00:21 AM
Originally posted by Lady Vader
Squid ink?? o_O

Squid ink is commonly used in Japanese cooking, particularly to make sauces. I've been told it's an odd yet good flavor, though I have not had it personally.

Marcus Telcontar
Jul 1st, 2004, 01:59:12 AM
Originally posted by Linn O'Conner
Whoa! The Japanese have some major personal issues!

Japanese food also tends to be a good deal healthier for you.

I mean, what's worse - Squid or McDonalds?

Live Wire
Jul 1st, 2004, 03:28:34 AM
seaweed ice cream yeah, garlic ice cream you can get here in the states so thats not so wierd. The tomato ice cream looks real, I've seen that tomato thing before, Natto (fermented soybeans) that also is most likely true. They also have a purple sweet potato that is used to make ice cream (its also purple) and that I have to tell you is delicious!! I wish I could get that stateside.

Shochu ice cream actually sounds good (that the potato liquor one) I've had shochu and it's strong but good!!!! Cherry blossom (sakura) again probably

As for the rest of it....I have no idea. I've never seen it. They may be things that are there but are not exactly available in your average grocercy store or San-A market.

I know you didn't ask for a run down but oh well. If you want I can ask my friends.

And marcus is right their food is a lot healthier. They eat all of the time (and lots of it) but they are all so skinny. I lose weight every time I go there and they feed you like you've never eaten before and never will again. It's wierd but I love it!

Try azuki bean ice cream. That you can also get in the states and it tastes so good. Azuki's are japanese sweet beans. Sounds wierd but it's good!

Cirrsseeto Quez
Jul 1st, 2004, 07:06:29 AM
Originally posted by Figrin D'an
Squid ink is commonly used in Japanese cooking, particularly to make sauces. I've been told it's an odd yet good flavor, though I have not had it personally.

Its pretty good stuff, actually.

Then again, I eat too much calamari anyway :)

AmazonBabe
Jul 1st, 2004, 02:13:16 PM

Is starving an option?

Live Wire
Jul 1st, 2004, 02:14:32 PM
Squid is good!!! Theres like no taste and it's just chewy. Trust me it's not bad. You'd eat it and be like...hmmm...chewy....doesn't taste like anything. okay!

Dasquian Belargic
Jul 1st, 2004, 02:15:47 PM
There's nothing wrong with squid. I had some calamari in Greece. It wasn't too bad. Admitedly, I didn't choose to eat it - it looked like onion rings ^_^;

Charley
Jul 1st, 2004, 02:17:46 PM
Originally posted by Dasquian Belargic
There's nothing wrong with squid. I had some calamari in Greece. It wasn't too bad. Admitedly, I didn't choose to eat it - it looked like onion rings ^_^;

The tentacles are the best part. Fry those up and dip in basil sauce = :)

Live Wire
Jul 1st, 2004, 02:23:30 PM
The tentacles are good but close your eyes if you're sensitive to what your food looks like. Like me :D

Dasquian Belargic
Jul 1st, 2004, 02:25:08 PM
I couldn't eat it if it just looked like a squid, though. Unlike my mum- she will eat anything, including its bulging eyes :x

http://mdn.mainichi.co.jp/photospecials/0406/ice-cream04/10.html
^ Ew :lol

Charley
Jul 1st, 2004, 02:27:57 PM
Originally posted by Dasquian Belargic
I couldn't eat it if it just looked like a squid, though. Unlike my mum- she will eat anything, including its bulging eyes :x

http://mdn.mainichi.co.jp/photospecials/0406/ice-cream04/10.html
^ Ew :lol

Just fry it up. Its not revolting looking

oh and CHECK YOUR PMs :mad

Live Wire
Jul 1st, 2004, 02:30:02 PM
I take it you've never been to a garlic festival

Dasquian Belargic
Jul 1st, 2004, 02:33:18 PM
http://mdn.mainichi.co.jp/photospecials/0207/ice-cream/4.html
^ Wahey! There's the one we need for this thread.

And no, I haven't ever been to a garlic festival. I didn't even know such things existed. Then again, I suppose you can have a festival for everything. Not my cup of tea, though :)

ReaperFett
Jul 1st, 2004, 02:46:53 PM
Originally posted by Marcus Telcontar
Japanese food also tends to be a good deal healthier for you.

A woman recently did a McDonalds-only diet after watching Supersize This, and found herself in a healthier position than previously apparently.

Sejah Haversh
Jul 1st, 2004, 02:55:25 PM
Of course, her previous dinners consisted of half a bucket of Crisco, and then some deep-fried cheese bricks with mayple syrup poured over the top.

Live Wire
Jul 1st, 2004, 03:26:24 PM
Originally posted by ReaperFett
A woman recently did a McDonalds-only diet after watching Supersize This, and found herself in a healthier position than previously apparently.

What in the name of all things good and holy was she eating before that?!?!?!?!

AmazonBabe
Jul 1st, 2004, 04:33:56 PM
She was on the Krispy Kream diet before and found that it wasn't helping her, therefore she decided to go on the McDonalds diet.[/sarcasm] :rolleyes

ReaperFett
Jul 1st, 2004, 04:56:26 PM
http://www.nationalreview.com/stuttaford/stuttaford200404290832.asp

Soso Whaley is a feisty not quite fiftysomething animal trainer based in New Hampshire, a champion roller skater (a silver medal for her tango!), the hostess of Camo-Country TV's Critter Corner and an adjunct fellow at the Competitive Enterprise Institute, a free-market think tank. (Oh, did I mention that she's a filmmaker with plans to make a documentary about camel-racing in Nevada?) When we ate together the day before Tax Day, in a drably functional midtown Manhattan McDonald's Express filled with surprisingly skinny teens, this is what she chose: six Chicken McNuggets, sweet 'n sour sauce, and two baked apple pies (one for later).

This April that's not unusual fare for Soso. She's eating at McDonald's a lot this month. In fact, she's only eating McDonald's this month. By the 14th, she had dined (I've seen the pile of receipts, neatly collected, dated, and filed) on Crispy Chicken; Chicken McNuggets (six-pack and ten); Chicken McGrill; McChicken; for a touch of the exotic, Hot 'n Spicy McChicken; and, in a welcome break for the nation's poultry, hamburger, double cheeseburger, Quarter Pounder with Cheese, Big Mac, Big N' Tasty with Cheese (no, I have no idea what that is), and Filet-O-Fish; Egg McMuffin, a bewildering selection of McGriddles (bacon, egg and cheese; sausage, egg, and cheese; and the ascetic sausage alone), hash browns, hotcakes, the wildly multicultural sausage breakfast burrito, Fruit 'n Yogurt Parfait ("I love that," sighs Soso), hot fudge sundae, a flurry of McFlurries (Butterfinger, M&M, Oreo — the Nestle Crunch is yet to come) and much, much more.

And, she says, she's feeling "great" (her diary can be viewed on the Competitive Enterprise Institute's website), and she's lost weight (around five pounds by the time we met). Poor, sad Morgan Spurlock didn't do quite so well. Around 20 years younger than Soso, this tall, seemingly robust New Yorker also spent a month eating only at McDonald's and made Super Size Me, a film about the experience. The movie looks as if it will do well, but Spurlock did badly, very badly.

Neither Soso nor I know exactly what Spurlock ate (Super Size Me comes out on May 7), but, as he has described them in numerous interviews, the results were nastier than a four-day-old Bacon Ranch Salad: headaches, vomiting, depression, a super-sized gut and — sad, sad news for his girlfriend (a vegan chef, conspiracy theorists please note) — a shrunken libido. The numbers tell their own terrible story. Spurlock gained 25 pounds and his cholesterol soared (from a modest 165 to a more challenging 230). His body "basically fell apart over the course of thirty days." His face — oh the horror, the horror — turned "splotchy," his knees "started to hurt from the extra weight coming on so quickly," and as for his liver, well, don't ask. O.K., you can ask. Spurlock's liver had, in the less than reassuring words of his doctor, "turned into patι."

Soso, by contrast, is made of sterner, more stoic stuff, a daughter of Eisenhower's Kansas, a creation of a sterner, more stoic time, a woman, I can report, whose face is splotch-free. Our lunch together was marred neither by vomiting, nor depression, nor headaches, and the "gas" that had been a rather distressing feature ("all that extra fiber") of the early days of her McDonald's diet had, mercifully, disappeared. Questions about her sex drive were met with a wry chuckle. This robust Heartland heroine, "a meat and potatoes gal," has even survived a few rounds with Hell's tubers, McDonald's revolting French fries, themselves. "Oh, they're OK," said Soso, smiling over her pile of McNuggets, but she didn't, I noticed, order any fries.

So what was Spurlock's problem? Could it have been something he ate? On his movie's website, Spurlock sets out the ground rules. He was to subsist only on McDonald's products, he had to eat every item on the menu at least once, but he was not allowed to choose Super-sized portions unless they were offered, in which case he had to accept them. More challenging still, his plate or, as we are talking McDonald's, his tray, had to be scraped clean. Completely clean.

And when it comes to his movie, many critics have, appropriately enough, lapped it up. Ebert & Roeper gave Super Size Me "two thumbs up", while Variety found it an "entertaining, gross-out cautionary tale" that "leaves little doubt that eating this stuff on a regular (or even occasional) basis is bad, bad, bad for ya." To the New York Times it was one of a clutch of "entertaining, moving and historically significant" movies at this year's Sundance Film Festival, a festival where Spurlock won the award for best director for what The Hollywood Reporter has dubbed his "brilliantly subversive" work.

Subversive? Hardly. Fashionable? Certainly. Blaming "Big Food" for America's big people is merely the Left's latest big lie. For real rebellion, try Soso. She's an autodidact, an individualist, a contrarian, an ornery soul, someone who likes to find stuff out for herself. "I understood I was being misinformed by the media and that made me mad." It began with animal rights. Soso's work with our furry friends led her to question the frequently uncritical acceptance of the stories being peddled by the likes of PETA, and from there it was a short jump to doubting the gimcrack orthodoxies of "global warming" and after that, provoked by the hype surrounding Super Size Me, a date with destiny under the golden arches.

Spurlock shot a movie about his time at McDonald's, and now Soso is shooting a movie about hers. "Spurlock made his film to make his point and I'm making my film to make mine." The Competitive Enterprise Institute is helping with the publicity, but other than that, Soso has kept her independence. McDonald's has no involvement in her project (and, I was told, is not a CEI donor). When Soso buys a bacon, egg & cheese McGriddle she does so on her own dime.

Soso's ground rules were similar to Spurlock's, but without the compulsory super-sizing, the obligation to finish everything up or, most importantly, the intention of eating, as Soso has put it, "like a troglodyte." She's got a point. Condemning McDonald's on the basis of the kamikaze consumption of Super Size Me makes about as much sense as using Monty Python's Mr. Creosote as an example of typical restaurant dining. Spurlock's bizarre breakfasts, lunatic lunches, and demented dinners added up to some 5,000 calories a day, freak-show feasting that proves nothing about McDonald's. It wasn't what the greedy slob ate, but how much.

Soso feeds where Spurlock fed, but her more modest meals are amounting to a little less than 2,000 calories a day, a still far-from-frugal discipline that leaves room for cheeseburgers, choice, and Fruit 'n Yogurt Parfait. In some ways, it can be argued that her new diet has been an improvement over the old, not much of a feat given its emphasis (the Portsmouth, N.H., Herald reported, a touch disapprovingly) on "lots of meat and too many on-the-go meals like candy bars and doughnuts," something that may have contributed to the rather disappointing cholesterol count with which Soso began the month.

Above all, Soso's long march through Mickey D's menu is an effective demonstration that maligning McDonald's as one uniquely lethal food group is ridiculous in an age when its restaurants offer far more variety than in the past. There's green in those golden arches. Vegetables have been spotted! And by vegetables I don't mean either the wrecks of a Russet that the burger chain calls "fries" or, for that matter, the people prepared to eat them. McDonald's sells salads, lots of them. Two weeks into her big adventure, Soso had already chowed down on side salad, and, scourge of the henhouse that she is, Bacon Ranch Salad with Grilled Chicken, Caesar Salad with Crispy Chicken, and the California Cobb Salad.

But there's no need to feel guilty about sucking down a few burgers as well. They too can be part of a balanced diet, "it's food," adds Soso. "Food is food. Don't eat too much." People, she argues, need to think about what they eat, and then take responsibility for the consequences. Some exercise would also help. "It's just too easy to blame McDonald's."

Not any more.

Ended up that she lost 10lbs and lowered her cholesterol by 40 points.

Lain Esuna
Jul 1st, 2004, 09:26:16 PM
madness... LW where can you get garlic Icream over here?

I found my koala yummies at the asian market, but they where called crazy symbol something( conji ), I duno cuase i couldn't read it.l

Live Wire
Jul 1st, 2004, 10:59:33 PM
yeah you can get garlic ice cream here. Its probably easier to get it here in california because we have the garlic capital over here. And there are even resturaunts where everything has garlic in it, I think one is called the stinking flower or something like that. But yeah you can get it.

And I'll see if I can find out what the kanji for Koala yummies is.

Slayn Cloak
Jul 1st, 2004, 11:10:29 PM
You're awsome... It might have been in korean or something I duno... wish I had more though.

Crystal
Jul 2nd, 2004, 12:05:30 AM
Crap. I'm moving to California then. I love garlic. :D

Lain Esuna
Jul 2nd, 2004, 12:18:13 AM
I will be soon! I'll be in oakland from Aug 13 - 30, if anyone cares.

Live Wire
Jul 2nd, 2004, 12:21:40 AM
okay well the koala yummies are made by Lotte (they also make the chocolate pie and the Kinoko no yama -chocolate mushrooms which are both very good) and in japanese they are called Koala no March. But if you go to the asian market and ask for koala snacks they know what you mean.

As far as the writing on the box it's not kanji is Katakana (japanese writing for foriegn words) and it says Koara maachi (which is the romanji (roman alphabet) translation of the characters) On a side note the japanese r is pronounced like a cross between r and l and more on the l side.

Gilroy is the garlic capital of the world and here's a link to their festival website. Which is coming up soon.

http://www.gilroygarlicfestival.com/

Lilaena De'Ville
Jul 2nd, 2004, 12:50:25 AM
Gilroy always smells good enough to eat. Yum.

Spinach Ice Cream
(Horenso Aisu)

This ice cream will really pop eyes! No longer will frustrated parents have to urge their children to eat their greens if they want to have their dessert. Now, Spinach Ice Cream will let kids kill two birds with one stone by eating their veggies and ice cream at the same time. Rumors this ice cream makes the eyes squint, ruins pronunciation and forearms grow to ridiculously large proportions are unfounded. :lol

Crystal
Jul 2nd, 2004, 12:57:28 AM
These? :D

http://img30.exs.cx/img30/4783/mushrooms.jpg

I love those things. I like them better than pocky.

Live Wire
Jul 2nd, 2004, 01:03:10 AM
Kinoko no yama!!!!!! Yep thats them. And they are way better than pocky!! Okay now I have to go to Marukai tomorrow.

Lain Esuna
Jul 2nd, 2004, 01:26:40 AM
Those look really good!

AmazonBabe
Jul 2nd, 2004, 11:17:47 AM
Mmmmmmm... gaaaaaarrrrrrrlic... *drools*