PDA

View Full Version : Once a thief, forever a thief [Alex and open]

Kale
Jun 26th, 2004, 05:17:33 PM
"Hey, 'scuse me, I found this in the men's room."

The bartender looked down dubiously at the diminutive, ruddy-haired Padawan as he set the leather pocketbook on the bartop.

"Not much cash left in there," the 'tender said.

"Yeah, but I figured Daneel Olivaw might want his ID back," Kale replied.

The 'tender picked up the wallet with a thumb and forefinger. "You sure that's all that was in there when you found it?"

Kale scowled. "Sure I'm sure. Look, I'm just tryin' to make sure this sap doesn't get ripped off."

The bartender nodded suspiciously and put the wallet underneath the counter. "Right."

The Padawan felt several curious stares as he headed back to his seat in a corner booth, and his ears started burning. Nothing like having a reputation.

Alex
Jun 27th, 2004, 05:40:23 AM
Why won't they believe me? Alex clenched his fists, as B&G security stopped him...again. "I don't have a weapon!" he said with an exasperated sigh.

"Are you sure?"

Alex ground his teeth. "What are you expecting me to do? Steal a Jedi's lightsaber or something? Think I'd be stupid enough to let you catch me if I had?"

The guard fixed him with an unfaltering stare. "Maybe."

Alex let out an annoyed groan, and pushed past him. He forced a few deep breaths into his lungs..Anger won't help you here, Alex. He sighed again. Nothing like having a reputation.

Alex' eyes scanned the Bar and Grill, searching for someone that he knew. But Jacali was off looking after her niece, Mylia was probably with her, and Jacen was...Alex frowned. Jacen was doing his thing. He doubted he'd see Navaria before their council meeting tomorrow...and that accounted for every "friend" he'd made in the temple thus far.

Everyone else here was...well, old. He supposed "wise" would have been a better description. Experienced. Qualified. Senior. Something like that. But, from a 17-year-old point of view, they were old. Except one.

He spotted a slightly disgruntled, red-haired man, sat in a booth in the corner. They were a Padawan. About as unthreatening and approachable as anyone Alex was likely to find. He shrugged, and walked over. "Anyone sitting here?"

Kale
Jun 27th, 2004, 08:33:07 PM
Kale glanced up at the newcomer over his mug of root beer. Looked older than him by a year, maybe. He also looked slightly lost. It wasn't just a matter of being in a new place, he was out of place altogether. Kale knew the feeling.

The sixteen-year-old Padawan quirked an eyebrow, then leaned over the tabletop to inspect the upholstered seat of the opposite bench. Smirking ironically, he said, "I don't see anyone. If you do, please let me know."

Kale took a sip of his root beer, licked the fizz off his upper lip, and settled back into his seat.

"Uh... you can take a seat if you want. I'm on lunch break."

Alex
Jun 27th, 2004, 10:33:53 PM
Slightly confused, Alex slid into the seat, his senses alert for any sign of an invisible person. He didn't notice any, luckily.

Alex was tired. He'd hardly slept. The nightmare had awoken him again. It was...weird. More intense than normal. He shuddered, and sighed.

"You're Kale, right?" Alex asked, blinking through heavy lids.

Kale
Jun 27th, 2004, 10:55:31 PM
Kale fingered the handle on his mug. "Who's askin'?"

Alex
Jun 28th, 2004, 10:58:55 AM
"A guy who's name is almost an anagram of yours," Alex replied, with a flicker of a grin. "Alex," he clarified. "I'm new around here."

Kale
Jun 28th, 2004, 03:20:29 PM
Ana-whatsit... Kale's mouth twitched. "Never woulda guessed. Sorry, I just get a little nervous when people I don't know start throwin' my name around." Another sip of root beer. At this rate, it'd all be gone before his burger came.

"You're a Padawan. Local boy, though. Am I right?"

Alex
Jun 29th, 2004, 12:09:19 PM
"Not a Padawan yet. I'm meeting with the PTB tomorrow." He sighed. "But yeah, local. I grew up a few miles from here...in a generally downward direction."

Kale
Jun 29th, 2004, 05:20:19 PM
Kale nodded. "Hmm. Interestin'. If you don't mind my askin', how'd you know my name?"

Alex
Jun 29th, 2004, 06:25:31 PM
Slowly but surely, the energy was draining from Alex's body, trickling out if his toes, and pulling him down into a slump. He needed sleep, but couldn't get it. He sighed, and shook himself.

"When I was getting shown around one time, somebody pointed you out. Said we had stuff in common." Alex shrugged. A small smile formed on his face. "With an accent like that, I know you've spent some time where the sun don't shine."

Kale
Jun 29th, 2004, 07:39:09 PM
Pointed him out--well, that was innocuous enough. Meanwhile, Kale noticed Alex drooping a little. Nothing a little caffeine wouldn't cure.

One corner of his mouth pulled upward in a lopsided smile. "Yeah, that's right. I used to live in the Santiago District, Twilight region. That's about six miles southwest of here, near the L100 threshhold. Before that, I was in the Southern Underground. Never thought I'd end up here."

Alex
Jul 2nd, 2004, 03:58:22 PM
"Yeah...I know what you mean." Alex took a look at the bar, and at the Jedi that sat within. He had been, until now, the antithesis of everything he saw. Lies. Desceat. Darkness. But, no more. His past was his past. This was his present...and his future.

Alex let out a sigh, and let himself smile. It was good to finally have someone else his age to talk with. There was Jacen, his room-mate, and Jacali and Mylia were his friends...but he rarely saw Jacen, and Jacali had the baby...and there was something about Mylia too. He couldn't place his finger on it, but it was there.

"So, anyway..." he said, every serious thought fading from his mind. "You've been here a year, right? You know who a lot of the Padawan are..." His eyes sparkled. "Who's the cutest?"

Kale
Jul 2nd, 2004, 04:20:06 PM
"Cutest?" Kale shook his head. "Well, to be honest, I ain't made that many friends around here. Especially of the female variety." He shrugged. "There are a couple real lookers, but they're out of my league. Now there was a girl named Camdyn I ran into in the Archives. A little older than me, but nice, you know what I mean? She helped me in a jam. I don't know what happened to her, though."

Of course, the incident in the Archives hadn't been the proudest moment of Kale's Padawan career. He cleared his throat. "Some people just come and go around here. I have a hard time keepin' track."

Alex
Jul 3rd, 2004, 04:13:41 AM
Alex nodded. He was used to people coming and going. From his parents onwards, people seemed to like getting away from him far too much for his liking. He sighed.

Alex sunk into his seat even more, nerves beginning to grip him, crushing him further from sight. "I...uh..." Another sigh. "I have to go before the Council tomorrow. To see if I can become a Padawan." He forced out a nervous laugh. "I don't even know where the Temple that I'm supposed to go to is...Temple Avon or something?"

Kale
Jul 3rd, 2004, 12:36:01 PM
"Avalon."

Kale watched a serving droid threading its way through the tables with a tray propped on its domed head. He barely had twenty minutes to eat and get back to the Academy. Please be a medium-rare bantha burger with no pickles...

"I think it's named after somethin', but I don't know what. The Jedi Temple's at the middle of the complex; you can't miss it. There are corridors linking it to the LQ. Council chambers are on the top floor."

Score! The droid was heading his way.

"You wanna order somethin', go ahead. Anyway, I've never been up there myself, so I wouldn't know what to expect. I'm guessin' some Jedi told you you're a Forcer and brought you in, right? Well, don't sweat it. He'll probably do all the talkin'."

Lain Esuna
Jul 3rd, 2004, 07:56:19 PM
Lain was looking for a good time, or at least some company. She entered the B&G and had a quick look around, there where a couple of prospects, but two just happened to be together. Lain walked over to them and spoke flirtatiously,her lips pressed into a large smirk.

" Hey guys, can I join you? "

Her head tilted as her eyes met with those of Alex, and Then shifted to Kale's.she thought about how fun these games could be and became little excited.

Alex
Jul 4th, 2004, 10:50:16 AM
"She," Alex replied to Kyle. "She'll do all the talking. Navaria. Tarkin."

Alex' head drooped forwards, and his eyes flickered. When they opened again, a split second later, someone had spoken. He looked up, and frowned. She was looking at him...looking into his eyes. She was smiling...smiling the sort of captivating smile that entranced whoever beheld it.

"Wha?" he said, in answer to her question. "Join...us..." His brain kicked in. "Oh, yeah, sure." He smiled a little, sheepishly.

Kale
Jul 4th, 2004, 12:30:04 PM
Alex's response was all but lost as Kale looked over the newcomer. Hey... this "friendly" schtick might be worth something after all.

Kale glanced over at Alex, who was still drowsing in his seat and a little slow on the uptake. More the better--Kale slid over toward the window and offered Lain a warm spot on the upholstered bench beside him.

"Here, take a seat," he said with a tilt of his head. "Ain't seen you around here before. I'm Kale."

The server droid edged forward and swung its burger-laden tray onto the table--precisely the wrong timing. Kale snagged his platter and dragged it out of Lain's way. "Yeah, thanks," he told the droid. "Wait, stick around, coppertop. You two want anything? Drink? Sandwich?"

Lain Esuna
Jul 4th, 2004, 01:43:05 PM
Lain needed to be wanted, it felt good to know that she held the compleat attention of the two men. Alex was completely lost to her charms, but kale seemed to hold his own, even in his embarrassment. She spoke even more precociously to her entertainment, her smile even more beguiling.

" Thank you, I'm Lain it's so nice to know that there are some gentlemen about. It's really very charming."

She placed her hand on the droids top as she sat, and the retired astromech unit shuffled back and forth in excitement. She slid onto the soft leather bench next to kale, taking a little more room than what was offered to her.

" it's such a shame to see such a resourceful model as a server, but it's better than being junked I suppose."

Alex
Jul 5th, 2004, 09:46:23 AM
Alex stared. Thats all he could do. She was...she was...disappearing under the table. Just in time, Alex's mind acted. He kicked back on the chair, stopping his sliding motion. He'd been so tired that he was ready to give up and fall asleep. But not anymore.

As he slid back across the leather, his foot caught something solid. He frowned. The table leg was at the other end. He tapped it a few times, trying to work out with his toes what it could be. Confused, he leant to the side, and peered under the table. He shot bolt upright straight after, snapping his feet away. "Sorry," he murmoured to Lain, as his face began to slowly turn pink.

Kale
Jul 5th, 2004, 03:01:36 PM
Kale peered up from his burger and slanted an eyebrow in Alex's direction. This kid needed a pick-me-up--and fast.

"Uh... Copper, why don't you get a Nemian stimcaff for my buddy here, huh? Looks like he'll need it. And how about a root beer for the lady?"

The droid blooped affirmatively, whistled fondly at Lain, and rolled off toward the kitchen.

The red-haired Padawan felt the leather sigh as Lain slid in next to him--closer than he'd expected, really. He felt a great disturbance, one that had nothing to do with the Force.

Needed something to do with his right arm--oh, there. He reached it back as if he were going to drape it over Lain's shoulders, but he rested it on the benchback instead, just a few inches above.

"So, Lain..." He did his best to match her flirty smile. "What brings you to Yog's?"

Lain Esuna
Jul 6th, 2004, 02:27:05 AM
Lain looked back at Kale's arm, her eyes taunting him. It was as if she wanted to say I dare you. The gesture would be welcome, but the anticipation contained all the fun.

Her attention was then turned to Alex who was playing with her foot; The older boy unnecessarily apologizing to her.

Lain turned back to kale an answered his question, her tone and demeanor the same.
" A girl has got to eat right?"

Kale
Jul 7th, 2004, 10:15:57 PM
Kale shrugged as best he could in his current position. "Well, sure. What I mean is, what brings you to this neck of Coruscant? This is a Jedi bar, you know." He glanced around the room, then added confidentially, "You can never be too careful around Jedi."

Lain Esuna
Jul 8th, 2004, 03:30:03 AM
" They never mean any harm; besides I'm an applicant."

The young girl taunting back, she felt no need to hold back; After all this was fair game.

Alex
Jul 8th, 2004, 12:20:51 PM
Alex dozed, and his head hit the table. "Mwuh?" he groaned. "Kalen ate the pie..." He shook himself, blinked, and blushed. "Sorry," he muttered.

The fog in his mind slowly clearing, he began to piece together little bits of information. "Applicant? As in, Jedi applicant?" He smiled. "Cool...me and Kale were just talking about how there weren't enough cute people around."

His smile stayed fixed for a few seconds, before slowly drooping. He sighed. "I'm just gonna go back to sleep before I say anything else to embarass myself."

Kale
Jul 8th, 2004, 03:57:39 PM
Oy vey...

Kale gawped incredulously at Alex for the split second before he regained facial control. If he were an anime character, blocky crosshatching would have appeared on his cheeks. As it was, his ears burned bright red.

Trying to regain his tenuous appearance of savoir-faire, he smiled and said, "Heh... that Alex. Oh, applicant. Yeah, that's great news. I'm a Padawan learner myself."

Now where had he been going? He'd completely forgotten the punchline to his comment about the Jedi.

But Coppertop came buzzing back with a stimcaff for Alex and a root beer for Lain. The droid then bleeped a query in Lain's direction--Anything else?

Alex
Jul 9th, 2004, 09:56:24 AM
Alex stirred, and the mug of stimcaff emptied itself within seconds. Alex returned it to the tray on the droid's head. "Does that come in pints?"

Lain Esuna
Jul 11th, 2004, 11:36:10 AM
Lain excepted the drink and placed it on the table. She turned her head and body to face the droid and asked for some Bivoli Tempari, and a portion of Vagnarian Canape for Alex. Than she turned to Kale and bluntly asked:
" Who's your master?"

Kale
Jul 11th, 2004, 12:18:41 PM
Kale smirked at Alex. "Buddy, another one o' those an' you won't sleep 'till after that council meeting of yours."

He didn't recognize the names of either of the items Lain had ordered--they both sounded many levels above the fare he'd grown accustomed to on a pickpocket's budget. He had a hard time thinking of food as anything more than fuel.

"I've been under Pierce Tondry the last two months. But actually, he's the second master I've had, 'cause..."

He trailed off and cleared his throat.

"Well, that's a long story. How'd you end up applyin' to the Order, Lain?"

Lain Esuna
Jul 14th, 2004, 11:11:48 AM
" I'm sure it's just as long a story, lets just say that I've got some potential that hasn't gone unnoticed."

The girl continued to speak in a precocious tone, she tilted her head slightly to the right, her eyes fixed on kales.

" What difference would it make anyway? "

Alex
Jul 14th, 2004, 01:14:10 PM
"We're both reformed thieves," Alex said, restraining a yawn. "Its nice to know where other people fit in."

Streching, and finally sitting up properly, he shuffled around in his seat to face Lain. "So, where you from? I'd hate to think you were local..." He grinned. "Can't have been much of a thief if I didn't try and steal as beautiful a treasure as you."

Kale
Jul 14th, 2004, 01:58:36 PM
Kale lost his good humor in a hurry. Drawing his arm back, he leaned over the table and jabbed an angry finger in Alex's face. "Hey, wait a minute, buddy. I don't know what you've heard about me, but get this straight. I don't tell your story, and you don't tell mine, capisce?"

The Padawan slowly settled back into his seat beside Lain. It didn't matter that what Alex said was true--Kale hadn't slipped his old profession in the course of their conversation, and he didn't appreciate the other streeter trumpeting it around, especially in mixed company.

After the outburst, the conversational momentum had stopped with the force of a bird smacking a speeder's windshield. Kale offered a slight apologetic nod to Lain, but not a hint of remorse toward Alex. The initiate's careless declaration had hit a nerve.

Lain Esuna
Jul 14th, 2004, 02:37:46 PM
" Settle down guys, the two of you sure are competative; As a matter of fact I am local. I doubt however, that the three of us would've ever shared company before."

The girl looked to the left and turned her head back to the men to add:

" Besides, if we had, I'm sure I'd be remembered."

Kale
Jul 14th, 2004, 10:13:04 PM
Competetive? Oh, geez... Lain was cute, but that was a bit much.

And Kale bit his tongue to keep himself from saying so. He didn't want to blow a chance at friendship by being his usual acerbic self.

Alex
Jul 15th, 2004, 04:24:07 PM
Alex frowned. Why the frell is he so touchy about his past? He regarded his companion suspiciously. Why does it matter who you were? You're a Jedi now. What's done is done.

"Look, Kale," he said, watching the other closely for any signs of another outburst, "I'm not telling your story. I'm merely stating a fact. Your past is your past. You've been here a year. All that is behind you now. Let it go."

Alex turned and smiled to Lain. "We're not competative. Well, I'm not, anyway. Sleepy, yes, competative no." He looked away again for a brief second. "And yeah...you'd be remembered."

Alex streached and yawned. "So...let me guess...daughter of a senator, maybe?"

Lain Esuna
Jul 15th, 2004, 04:35:58 PM
Lain smiled at Alex's comment, she didn't care much about anything els that was being said; Just as long as she remained the center of attention. A small laugh escaped her lips at Alex's next statement.

" hah, A senators daughter? You really don't get out much do you?"

Her eyes were fixed on Alex carrying a certain level of fondness with them.

No, my family makes droids actually, and yes, it's offered me a good level of monetary comfort."

Kale
Jul 15th, 2004, 04:58:04 PM
Kale met Alex with a sullen look. "You're right, it's my past," he muttered. "Aw, doesn't matter. Sounds like it's been gettin' around anyway." He shot an unexplained glance at the bartender and took a large bite from his banthaburger as Alex and Lain conversed.

Monetary comfort, my--Ahem. Oh, right. Friendly.

"Droids? What kind?"

As if he'd know if she told him... He and droids never seemed to get along real well.

Alex
Jul 16th, 2004, 03:35:18 AM
I really don't get out much? Alex shrugged. "Up until I stepped through the doors of the Temple, the only droid's I'd ever encountered were either from before the fall of the old Republic, or trying to kill me."

He grinned, lopsidedly. "Why would I have needed to know about droids, anyway? Its not like I was gonna buy one."

Lain Esuna
Jul 16th, 2004, 12:34:10 PM
" Well you speak of being a thief, hah, former thief, with some amount of pride. Had you known something about driods I'm sure you could've done a little better for yourself. You'd be surprised how many people leave crucial information privy only to their droids "

Alex
Jul 16th, 2004, 02:32:58 PM
Alex blinked. "Um..." His smile faded a little, slightly weighted by embarassment. "Up until a few days ago, I didn't even know what a Bantha Burger was. I was with you up until 'privy'. Isn't that a kind of bathroom?"

Kale
Jul 17th, 2004, 10:02:30 PM
Kale shook his head. "Nah, it's a kind of lavatory," he said matter-of-factly.

Sometimes you couldn't tell if he was being serious.

Alex
Jul 18th, 2004, 07:07:25 AM
"Ah." Alex nodded, his brain processing the new information. "So...um..." he turned back to Lain. "How does that have anything to do with Droids?"

Lain Esuna
Jul 18th, 2004, 10:08:45 AM
Lain turned her head, and made a face of disbelief. She couldn't believe these guys were serious.

" You know, I guess it really doesn't."

Lain looked down to the root bear that she hadn't touched. She really didn't like this stuff, but decided it wouldn't be polite to not drink. She lifted the glass to her lips and thought, Thank god it's a small glass. as she gulped it down. The girl had drank three quarters of the glass in one go.

Alex
Jul 18th, 2004, 02:31:08 PM
Alex looked between Lain, and the almost empty glass, and then back again. "Eww...you drink that stuff?" He shuddered. "They said I'd discover things when I came to the Temple. It took me just over a day to discover that root bear tastes..."

His voice trailed off, replaced instead my an over-the-top impression of someone vomiting. Stopping, and realising where he was and what he was doing, he re-gained his composure. "Of course, that is just my oppinion..."

Lain Esuna
Jul 19th, 2004, 08:15:58 PM
Lain smiled softly as she looked up at Alex and spoke.

" Greater sacrifices have been made for the sake of courtesy. "

Alex
Jul 20th, 2004, 03:04:13 AM
After a few moments of contemplation, Alex decided not to bother trying to understand. He just smiled, and nodded.

After a few more moments, he called to the retreating bin-shaped form of Copper. "Hey...can I get some cake? The chocolate one...with the cream and the sprinkles?" The droid chirped something in reply. Alex smiled. "Thanks, Cop!"

Turning back to the table, his smile became a grin. "I'm gonna eat cake."

Kale
Jul 27th, 2004, 12:14:50 AM

"You do that. I was thinkin' about a banana split myself... but, y'know, I might have to find somebody to share it with..." He glanced totally unmeaningfully at Lain. "Y'know, 'cause they come in these big..."

He spread his thumbs and forefingers to indicate a large ellipse and, in doing so, noticed his watch.

"Oh, geez! My Master's gonna kill me!"

Shoving the last bit of the burger into his mouth, Kale scooted to his right, unintentionally bumping Lain. Mumbling an apology, he slipped nimbly underneath the table and squirted out the open side. "Catch you later."

He paid the barkeep on the way out. Didn't hurt if Daneel Olivaw was picking up the tab.

Lain Esuna
Jul 27th, 2004, 08:34:16 AM
lain was surprised by Kale's exit, but tried not to make it noticeable. She simply turned to Alex and asked:

" Is he always so jumpy? "

Her voice was mellow, with a kind of sardonic tone to it.