PDA

View Full Version : ANOTHER warning for Internet Explorer users....

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 26th, 2004, 05:16:10 AM
http://www.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,4057,9959896%255E28100,00.html

Real solution - USE FIREFOX.

NOW.

http://www.mozilla.org

Crystal
Jun 26th, 2004, 05:43:12 AM
I don't understand how things like this are getting onto random websites?

I'm safe because I have mozilla.. but I'm still curious. It seems like they're saying any website can be infected and the website owner might not even know.

The Professor
Jun 26th, 2004, 06:20:07 AM
SpyBot and AdAware - I think I'm covered.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Jun 26th, 2004, 09:11:40 AM
So then, you're still running IE?

Cause if you are, it seems you're going to be spending an awful lot of time running Spybot and Ad-Aware. More so than those who use Mozilla, Opera, FireFox, K-meleon, or any other browser that is infinately more secure.

There's just too many risks with IE.

Syren Wyssholt
Jun 26th, 2004, 11:41:19 AM
Hm. My fiancee` has an earthlink email account. He hasn't checked it in ages. I better bookmark this article so he can read it. Thanks for the heads up :)

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 26th, 2004, 03:52:53 PM
Originally posted by The Professor
SpyBot and AdAware - I think I'm covered.

No, you are not. This is a trojan horse / worm. The only real solution is switch browsers.

The Professor
Jun 26th, 2004, 08:10:42 PM
You might be right, time to download the evil Netscape browser!

Garret Treborn
Jun 26th, 2004, 08:32:41 PM
I've been getting some infected files lately caused by trojans. This is probably the cause of it, damn. I should download mozilla then?

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Jun 26th, 2004, 08:38:24 PM
Right now, good sir.

edit:

Um, go get FireFox.

spada
Jun 26th, 2004, 08:48:56 PM
I got Norton Antivirus, Spybot, and AdAware. I haven't ever been infected (Norton picks up all the Trojans...ok that sounded wierd...)

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 27th, 2004, 02:29:50 AM

That had to be a joke post.

Vahid Hesam
Jun 27th, 2004, 02:40:18 AM
Originally posted by spada
I got Norton Antivirus, Spybot, and AdAware. I haven't ever been infected (Norton picks up all the Trojans...ok that sounded wierd...)

Even if you have Antivirus, it's best to switch. There's no telling what will go wrong with IE next.

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 27th, 2004, 03:49:35 AM
Originally posted by Vahid Hesam
Even if you have Antivirus, it's best to switch. There's no telling what will go wrong with IE next.

There are some viruses AV's often cant find or clean. I'd say it's mandatory to switch. IE = PC death.

Syren Wyssholt
Jun 27th, 2004, 10:04:46 AM
I had Norton Anti-virus on my other computer. First virus I ever got, Norton's never detected it and the virus itself attacked my Norton's, rendering it useless.

Lilaena De'Ville
Jun 27th, 2004, 10:08:36 AM
http://dotnet.sw-fans.net/funstuff.php For people who don't have FireFox to read.

ReaperFett
Jun 27th, 2004, 11:11:00 AM
Originally posted by Lilaena De'Ville
http://dotnet.sw-fans.net/funstuff.php For people who don't have FireFox to read.

You know, that is probablt the first time someone here has spoken about it and I felt positive about doing it. But I still have some questions:

1) It is open source, correct? Does that mean that there is a potential risk of future problems, as everyone can see every piece of code? Last time I asked this I got bitched at, this time I would appreciate a straight answer.

2) Java and Flash are important to my life, as I like shooting clay kittens and playing pool with people who use daft names and keep calling me an asl. I hear that I need a plugin or similar to use these, how easy is it to obtain one?

3) Popups don't bother me, and I blame popup blockers for the 10x more annoying adverts we get these days. Can I disable the blocker?

Figrin D'an
Jun 27th, 2004, 11:36:00 AM
Originally posted by ReaperFett
1) It is open source, correct? Does that mean that there is a potential risk of future problems, as everyone can see every piece of code? Last time I asked this I got bitched at, this time I would appreciate a straight answer.

Open source doesn't mean it's hacker fodder. Look at IE, or Windows in general. It's propriatary, yet people find exploits in it all the time. Bottom line, if someone wants to spend the time to sift through millions of lines of code, they probably will eventually find a weakness to exploit. The difference is, with an open source piece of software, you have thousands of people constantly contributing to improving the code because they want to make it better for everyone (and themselves), unlike a propriatary piece of software in which the ultimate bottom line is cash flow.

There is no greater risk in using open source software than there is using propriatary software. In many cases, open source software is more reliable and secure because you have a greater pool of resources working on it.

2) Java and Flash are important to my life, as I like shooting clay kittens and playing pool with people who use daft names and keep calling me an asl. I hear that I need a plugin or similar to use these, how easy is it to obtain one?

You can dl either from their official websites. Run the plugin after you have installed the new browser, and it should give you the option to install it into different browsers.

And, yes, Flash does work with both Mozilla and Firebird, contrary to what has been said by some in the past.

3) Popups don't bother me, and I blame popup blockers for the 10x more annoying adverts we get these days. Can I disable the blocker?

You can disable it, by simply unchecking a box in the browser options. However, I really don't understand why you would want to. This isn't a 3rd party pop-up blocker that will allow it's own advertisements through. This is a legit, completely functional pop-up blocker built into the browser. On top of that, you can train it to allow pop-ups to certain sites by simply entering the site URL into the appropriate area. For example, I allow pop-ups for SWFans because I have my Private Message settings to pop-up a new window when it gives me the alert dialog that I have a new message.

Trust me, it's far better to leave the blocker on, and just train it to handle your favorite sites that have useful pop-ups.

Ryan Pode
Jun 27th, 2004, 12:50:33 PM
I have sucuumbed...

I have downloaded Mozilla.

ReaperFett
Jun 27th, 2004, 02:01:15 PM
One last question. Can I transport my favourites list across?

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 27th, 2004, 02:37:35 PM
Originally posted by ReaperFett
One last question. Can I transport my favourites list across?

Yes

The visibilty of Open source is in fact a huge security advantage - it's auditable. Friendly eyes can see the code and spot problems. The problems get fixed. That is why, despite Firefox being a officially beta software, it's one of the best bits of software going. Thousands of people auditing and testing.