PDA

View Full Version : Reincarnation?

Dan the Man
Jun 23rd, 2004, 02:34:45 PM
I am considering the prospect of including the concept of reincarnation to this character. I'm not entirely sure, however, if it can at all be rationalized. If anything, perhaps a force-adept once lived a long time ago, and was "too evil to die", and somehow their essence transferred to another person, somewhere else and in the indeterminate future.

Not suggesting any transferrence of power, but only the vaguest of perceptions. Like the character might have foggy recollections that were almost like dreams, of past lives and whatnot.

What is done in those lives is entirely dependent on that person's merits alone. It wouldn't be a case of, "well, I was a Sith Master in this life, so I would be a Sith Master++ in the next", etc. It would be a clean slate as far as skill level goes, and really only effect the character.

If this is too much to handle, I can consider the George C. Scott portrayal of Patton, and instead have such concepts, but only insofar as what he imagines. However, if I had to choose, I'd rather there be some substance to Dan's claims of living past lives.

Any thoughts?

Katina Van-Derveld
Jun 23rd, 2004, 02:43:26 PM
If anything, perhaps a force-adept once lived a long time ago, and was "too evil to die", and somehow their essence transferred to another person, somewhere else and in the indeterminate future.There's definitely a precedence for this kind of thing, as I'm sure you know. As long as it's tastefully done, it shouldn't so much as raise an eyebrow.

Daerlayne
Jun 23rd, 2004, 02:43:54 PM
Not a bad idea. Something similar was done with KOTOR, though that was more of a complete memory wipe. Still, the prospect, I don't feel, is entirely out of the question. Granted, that was an extreme case (and also a video game). The only problem is really one that you addressed already, of the character becoming too powerful. Personally, I think the idea is very interesting and would make for quite the fun rp.

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 23rd, 2004, 03:03:42 PM
Ehhhhhhhh...........

To be honest, if it were a n00b, I'd smack them down. It's too close to the dark Horse comics for my liking.

But your no n00b (and for the dummies, that means Dan the Man knows how things really work and has track record and.... etc... ehhh..... I'm not in a mood to explain) so I'm willing to see how it works.

Dasquian Belargic
Jun 23rd, 2004, 03:08:07 PM
^ Marcus speaks the truth.

IIRC, this was done by Naga / Seth Darkserpent back when he was around, so no problems with it being done again.

Dan the Man
Jun 23rd, 2004, 03:17:51 PM
As I said before, its more or less entirely for character-driven reasons. This isn't a gateway to gaining any ill-gotten powers or insider information, or what-have-you.

Dan's a straight-faced murdering bastard, and I think that it would truly tap the quintessential stuff o' villains if he was able to make a spiritual connection of sorts to other murdering bastards of a bygone era, to in his own mind justify the eternal nature of villainy. He's got a very philosophical mindset to the evil he plies his trade in.

Buliwyf
Jun 23rd, 2004, 04:29:42 PM
Well, actually, something akin to this happened in a couple of the books. Exar Kun's essence was still around a Sith temple on Yavin (?), and he influenced someone else. I don't see any stretch in making a character completely absorb a past persona. I mean, the emporer used to clone himself and jump bodies all the time. This ain't too much a stretch.

Live Wire
Jun 23rd, 2004, 04:51:57 PM
I personally have no problem with the idea being explored. And knowing dear Dan as I do I know he can pull it off right. Go for it! Im interested to see how it plays out.

Blane Strongman
Jun 23rd, 2004, 06:19:26 PM
Well I guess I can put in my two cents since I've wrote a paper on this subject in world religion. The concept of Karma and reincarnation is suppose to works like this. When a person dies their essense goes into a giant void full along with the souls of every other living thing that dies. Infact George Lucas' ideas of the force and how it works where actualy durived from Japanese perspectives of reincarnation.

So in starwars when a person dies whats left of their spirit also becomes a part of the living force regardless of weither or not the subject is a Jedi. The reason why we have force spirits is because some jedi who've mastered the force to a sertain exent gain the ability to keep their councesness seperate from the living force itself while still being a part of it. And when new living things are born the spirits that inhabit the person also come from the spirts that make up the living force, or the will of the force, (they're the same thing basicly).

Now Sith also have the ability to become force spirits but they in some cases those same force spirits have been known to take possession of a new body should they find one thats strong enough. Most people arn't strong enough to harbor the spirit of a sith lord for very long, but possession is diffrent from actual reincarnation.

Finaly, the way Karma works is like this. Believing in karma is literaly believing in the term "What goes around comes around." The good things you did in your past life, as well as the bad ones, are visited back to you on your current one. For example if you spent your last lifetime being a serial killer your next life will be filled with the constant loss of your loved ones and usualy your own karma comes back to you and shapes your new current personality into one that is very different from your last one.

Of course you can do whatever it is you want with your character. I was trying to do the same thing with a character I had in another rpg named Wesley but they killed him off before i could get that far. Just trying to throw some ideas at you.

Lion El' Jonson
Jun 23rd, 2004, 08:02:47 PM
I have a feeling that you can pull this off, Dan.

Just don't mention Exar Kun. Kevin J. Anderson's works left a bad impression on me. :lol

Shade Magus
Jun 23rd, 2004, 08:06:28 PM
I believe it would be it is a god idea and you could do it. It will definitely be interesting to read.

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 23rd, 2004, 10:00:16 PM
Exar Kun's essence was still around a Sith temple on Yavin (?), and he influenced someone else. I don't see any stretch in making a character completely absorb a past persona. I mean, the emporer used to clone himself and jump bodies all the time. This ain't too much a stretch.

These travesties of EU are the reasons I would use AGAINST what Dan wants. Lets not go down that path.

Morgan Evanar
Jun 24th, 2004, 02:46:20 AM
Its mostly for character developement and panache. I don't see "har, power grab" anywhere in this.

I'm all for some octarine.

Pierce Tondry
Jun 24th, 2004, 11:47:41 AM
OMG POWAR GRAB.

Sounds fine to me. I like the style you have planned for introducing this venue. Can't wait to see more of it.