PDA

View Full Version : Jeez, when did Hamill go all bitter?

ReaperFett
Jun 22nd, 2004, 05:46:06 PM
http://breakingnews.iol.ie/entertainment/story.asp?j=108486078&p=yx8486784

the 52-year-old blames his withering career on Lucas' decision not to cast him in any of his other movies.

JMK
Jun 22nd, 2004, 06:54:20 PM
Obviously a satirical site?o_O

darth_mcbain
Jun 22nd, 2004, 10:14:12 PM
Originally posted by JMK
Obviously a satirical site?o_O

Hmm - could be, on the other hand, maybe not...

If it is true, though, suck it up Mark... Ok, you were great in the originals, but that doesn't guarantee you a spot in the new movies. Honestly, who would he play in the prequels? And even if he were cast in the prequels - would that have boosted his career? Doubtful...

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 22nd, 2004, 11:40:24 PM
I think he means Indiana Jones too, I guess he blames Lucas for never putting him in any of his movies. Of course he could be misquoted, who knows. I am slightly surprised he has never said stuff like this before.

JMK
Jun 23rd, 2004, 06:52:14 AM
If it isn't a satirical site, then I'm with McBain. Suck it up Mark. Just because you will forever be Luke Skywalker does not mean you had to be cast in every Lucas movie from now till the end of time. Tom Hanks isn't in EVERY Speilberg movie is he?

Dan the Man
Jun 23rd, 2004, 04:32:26 PM
I'm pretty sure he's never said anything of the sort.

Its not like Lucas has really "gone places" since Star Wars.

Unless Luke Skywalker could have saved Howard the Duck, which I doubt.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Jun 23rd, 2004, 04:36:37 PM
Wow, I really hope that's a satire. Talk about stupid things to complain about.

Funny thing is, usually when I hear Mark's name now days, I don't think of Star Wars first. I think of Corvette Summer *shrug*

Dan the Man
Jun 23rd, 2004, 04:40:50 PM
Originally posted by s'Ilancy
Wow, I really hope that's a satire. Talk about stupid things to complain about.

Funny thing is, usually when I hear Mark's name now days, I don't think of Star Wars first. I think of Corvette Summer *shrug*

Batman: The Animated Series

JMK
Jun 23rd, 2004, 05:24:45 PM
I still think of Luke Skywalker, but I also think of a guy who will do almost anything to get his face out there. :lol

darth_mcbain
Jun 23rd, 2004, 05:28:19 PM
I definitely think Luke Skywalker - then Animated Batman...

Cyrel Annat
Jun 23rd, 2004, 08:50:58 PM
Beyond Star Wars and the Wing Commander video game that he helped with, I always think of the certain little role he played in Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back (which I will refrain from typing due to the censorship). Upstanded by Jason Mewes. Snoogins.

JMK
Jun 23rd, 2004, 10:46:16 PM
That was amazing.

"Call me Darth Balls! Boooooooonggggg!!!!!!!!!!"

Cyrel Annat
Jun 23rd, 2004, 11:45:38 PM
:lol A classic scene if there ever was one.

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 24th, 2004, 01:52:59 AM
Yet, getting back on topic, Mark has had a good career voice acting - he got one hell of a lot of dollars for voicign Wing Commander. Hell, he's done better that 99.9 of the dweebs that get to Hollywood, WTF is he complaining?

Dan the Man
Jun 24th, 2004, 05:45:46 AM
I don't think he is. That's the point.

JMK
Jun 24th, 2004, 07:34:17 AM
Maybe it's a site much like Sportspickle.com

darth_mcbain
Jun 24th, 2004, 08:48:02 AM
Originally posted by Cyrel Annat
Beyond Star Wars and the Wing Commander video game that he helped with, I always think of the certain little role he played in Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back (which I will refrain from typing due to the censorship). Upstanded by Jason Mewes. Snoogins.

LOL - I was about to mention that as well. Small role, but a memorable one... :)

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 24th, 2004, 11:07:16 AM
Well it looks like that site made the story up
Sometimes the news in and around Star Wars doesn't make all the fans, nor Lucasfilm happy, but news is news and we do our best to report all we find, commenting as we feel appropriate. Many would be surprised at how much email we receive when we don't run news we are informed of. On Tuesday we quoted and linked an online article about Mark Hamill being quite unhappy with George Lucas. Though some have felt Mark has avoided Star Wars for some time, the article quoted was very harsh, to the point we worried about it being true. Especially myself, who has had the pleasure of working with Mark and his wife several times in the last two years, and Scott Chitwood, who spent a lot of time talking with Mark about his Comic Book: The Movie project recently. So, though I didn't want to bother them initially, I called them up tonight to set the record straight, and boy am I glad I did.
Mark was aware of the news and was very happy to discuss it. I'd like to state that for the record, I met Mark about two years ago and have had quite a bit of contact with him and his wife since then. I say this, because I believe he felt no need to dance around the truth with me, no need to position anything with me, and no need to feel like I would do anything other than convey his true feelings. Further, I believe he knows I have had plenty of opportunity to learn how he really feels about Star Wars and I'd have known if the tune suddenly changed.

Mark could not disagree more with the reported news. In the hours and hours I have spent with him, Mark has not said one disparaging word against George Lucas, Lucasfilm or Star Wars. He has not even hinted it. Mark told me tonight, he believes this news stems from a failed attempt by a gossip paper to get him in an unfriendly interview in 1997. Mark does say he has said the movies he did were funnier than the new ones, but I think we'd all agree with that. Mark has a great life, a great family, and in the last year has been going non-stop with exciting and new adventures in his career. We knew, and Mark pointed out, how much fun he had earlier this year working on the Original Trilogy DVD with Lucasfilm, spending far more time on it than they requested, and all may recall his online chat at Starwars.com he did as well. These are not the things a man unhappy with how Star Wars has treated him would do. Mark asked me to pass on that he has tried to avoid commenting on news like this in the past, as giving it attention normally does more harm than good. You could not find a man more sincere in his desire to not make waves, but rather would concentrate on the good that came from the movies and what is yet to come in his career.

I'm sorry we ran the original story and I hope this helps clear up any credibility we might have given it by having it in our news. Philip Wise

Really Hamill should sue it hurts his repetation, how can they get away with lying about stuff like that.

Katina Van-Derveld
Jun 24th, 2004, 11:11:22 AM
I still catch his voice in the odd videogame every now and then. Noticed it in Return to Castle Wolfenstein. He may not have the most promising film career, but he's making a pretty nice living as a voice actor.

ps. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0101988/ lol

ReaperFett
Jun 24th, 2004, 11:39:00 AM
Originally posted by JMK
Maybe it's a site much like Sportspickle.com
A lot of the other articles are also on other sites, it's a genuine site. It's the Irish equivellent of AOL.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 24th, 2004, 11:47:19 AM
Well they obviously either took it from another site who made it up, or they made it up themselves. We have to assume one of the other since Hamill is denying it.

JMK
Jun 24th, 2004, 03:33:25 PM
Either way that site has damaged its credibility. That should teach them to make up stuff.

ReaperFett
Jun 24th, 2004, 03:59:50 PM
Originally posted by JMK
Either way that site has damaged its credibility. That should teach them to make up stuff.
They could have been misinformed, just like every other site that then reported it.

JMK
Jun 25th, 2004, 06:42:37 AM
They may have been misinformed, but reputalble news sources are supposed to follow up on these things to see if they're accurate. But I guess if they did that, they'd miss getting the 'scoop'! ;)

ReaperFett
Jun 25th, 2004, 12:16:52 PM
I don't really think most people care what Hamill has to say outside of Star Wars fans. Is it really that big a scoop that a man most people haven't seen do anything good in 20 years complains?

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 25th, 2004, 01:00:36 PM
Well I think its bad journalism. Did the sight apologize? The Force.net did so I am wondering.

Cyrel Annat
Jun 25th, 2004, 01:16:30 PM
I don't know if it was the fact that people care about what Hamill says perse, as much as it was a pretty vicious attack at the guy who is responsible for us knowing who the heck Mark Hamill is. Most likely just something else to add to the fact that many are displeased with Lucas over the last two movies, and posting this sort of outcry would just add more fuel to that fire. I'm glad that this 'interview' was made up and that Hamill did not speak as it states, but I'm not at all surprised that something like this has been set up. The media always looks for turmoil and ways to cause it.

JMK
Jun 25th, 2004, 01:22:37 PM
Originally posted by ReaperFett
I don't really think most people care what Hamill has to say outside of Star Wars fans. Is it really that big a scoop that a man most people haven't seen do anything good in 20 years complains?

I don't think that's the point. Granted it won't make waves in the same way it would if someone like Tom Hanks were misquoted, but it's still irresponsible of them to post that as factual without double checking their source.

Jedieb
Jun 25th, 2004, 08:09:17 PM
Hamill had a lengtly interview in the Insider a couple of issues ago. If he really were that ticked off at Lucas and SW then he wouldn't have done the interview. There wasn't a trace of bitterness in the interview. As someone else has pointed out, Hamill has had a pretty decent career. He's also had some decent roles on Broadway and has even garnered a Tony nomination. Not every one has to make $20M a pic to be considered a success.

Master Yoghurt
Jun 28th, 2004, 01:47:14 AM
I always had the impressions Mark Hamills career path was due to his artistic choice, prioritising casting for theater plays, voice acting and radio rather than motion pictures. Did he not say something after Star Wars, that theater acting before a live audience was a higher form of acting than the one on a silver screen?

Jinn Fizz
Jul 17th, 2004, 01:17:28 PM
Originally posted by ReaperFett

Excuse me? That's an amazingly rude comment. I've seen him do plenty of good stuff in the past 20 years, since Star Wars. I even saw him perform as Mozart in Amadeus in LA in 1983. He was terrific.

Seeing Mark at Comic-Con the last couple of years has been great, and Comic-Book: The Movie is a very heartfelt Valentine to the world of comic books.

And remember, the article has been completely discredited. So he wasn't complaining in the first place. Nyah. :headbash

Jedieb
Jul 19th, 2004, 08:17:28 PM
Hamill had another round of quotes again in this last issue of the Insider. Obviously, he's on fine terms with Lucas and his SW past. I bet we'll see even more of him on the upcoming DVD's this Sept.

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 19th, 2004, 08:34:23 PM
I thought I read he did some new interviews on the DVD. I also heard rumors that he did a commentary but I am not sure if that is true or not.

Alex
Jul 20th, 2004, 03:42:36 AM
The only way we'd ever see Hamill back in Star Wars is if they did Episodes VII-IX. Which they're "not going to do". Who knows...they might. It would be kinda cool to see. They probably won't...but it still would be cool. Unfortunately, they'd have to set it way in the future, coz of how much older the original cast is...it'd have to focus on Han and Leia's kids, or something. Wedge Antilles is even too old to play a part...and now he's acting in (the amazing, the craptacular) HOLBY CITY on BBC1!! What a step down in your acting career... He's a consultant to the hospital, and he's a bit of a prick, TBH.

AmazonBabe
Jul 27th, 2004, 02:37:09 PM
Originally posted by Dan the Man
Batman: The Animated Series

*nods* Same here.