PDA

View Full Version : Gary Oldman as General Grievious

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 22nd, 2004, 11:39:57 AM
Well at least his voice, this is the rumor theforce.net is reporting. His Manager says he is in negotiations for a voice role in Episode 3 and that seems like the perfect part for him, IMO. Man Oldman is sure getting busy, between Harry Potter, Batman and now Star Wars.

JMK
Jun 22nd, 2004, 12:18:06 PM
Looks like he wants to put himself in the mainstream big time. Like MacKellen did when he signed on to be Magneto and Gandalf.

Both actors were big before signing, but now they're recognizable to everyone from the very young to the older movie fan.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 22nd, 2004, 12:36:56 PM
Yeah that is probably what is going on here. Oldman is a great actor too, and I had been hoping he would play a role in a Star Wars movie, it looks like I got my wish :)

JMK
Jun 22nd, 2004, 01:06:53 PM
Don't get your hopes all the way up yet dude. Wait for the official announcement before you thank the maker! :)

darth_mcbain
Jun 22nd, 2004, 03:02:59 PM
Whoever does the voice, I'd be surprised if there wasn't some sort of alteration done to it to make it sound like a hybrid between a real voice and a mechanical voice, so I don't know how much it would matter whose voice they used. As much as I like Oldman, I don't know if his voice is what I picture when I think of Grievous.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 22nd, 2004, 11:37:20 PM
Heh well yeah the negotiations could fall apart.

JMK
Jun 23rd, 2004, 06:43:47 AM
Well one thing is sure, Lucas will probably low-ball Oldman with his offer. He probably figures that everyone will sacrifice a paycheck to be a part of Star Wars, and that may very well be true but still.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 23rd, 2004, 10:22:18 AM
Well voice roles usually are cheaper so he might not expect much. It isn't like he needs the money between Harry Potter and the Batman Franchise he is set for a while.

ReaperFett
Jun 23rd, 2004, 10:35:49 AM
I heard he has big debts, so I think he needs the money :p

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 23rd, 2004, 10:58:47 AM
Well I know he has kids, that he has custody of, so he might need the money to take care of them. I know he joked when he took the Black role in Harry Potter, "Well I haven't worked in a while and I need the money."

Dan the Man
Jun 23rd, 2004, 04:31:10 PM
What about that other guy that they already had slated as being Grievous's voice?

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 23rd, 2004, 05:32:45 PM
That was for the Cartoon series, I didn't think they would use him, probably want a bigger name.

Charley
Jun 23rd, 2004, 07:12:48 PM
Originally posted by Jedi Master Carr
That was for the Cartoon series, I didn't think they would use him, probably want a bigger name.

I heard that they were in fact using the exact same guy for the voice.

They haven't exactly been in a habit of using big names for voice-ins, Darth Vader notwithstanding.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 23rd, 2004, 07:52:30 PM
According to theforce.net that is not true, he is not coming back for the movie. No actor has been signed for the part. Maybe Lucas just wants a very good over the top voice for the part, I think Oldman is the best there is at that.

JMK
Jun 23rd, 2004, 10:45:09 PM
I'd appreciate it if they'd use the same voice as the cartoon for continuities sake, but seeing as though they did not use the same voices for anyone else in the cartoon, I see this as unlikely at best.

darth_mcbain
Jun 24th, 2004, 12:47:55 PM
Well, they've posted it on IMDB that it is Oldman, but until I see it on starwars.com I'm taking it with a grain of salt...

British actor Gary Oldman will play the "deadliest" Star Wars villain ever in the franchise's final prequel Episode Three. The Harry Potter And The Prisoner Of Azkaban star will voice character General Grievous, who is a part-alien/part-robot. And insiders say Oldman - who is considered to be one of the finest actors of his generation - was handpicked for the part by series creator George Lucas, who is a big fan of his work. A source says, "George thought Gary was the ideal choice." According to reports, Oldman's character will try and hunt down Jedi knights Anakin Skywalker and Obi-wan Kenobi in the film, which is due to hit cinemas next summer.

Jedieb
Jun 25th, 2004, 08:02:07 PM
At times, I find Olman's overacting to be irritating. But I think he'd be an excellent choice for the voice over of Grievous. The idea of getting a known talent with a significant resume behind for a voice over is something Lucas should have considered when casting Jar Jar. Hell, he probably could have gotten Robin Williams to do it without breaking the bank. They're long time friends and Williams sure as hell would have done a better job than Best.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 25th, 2004, 10:41:56 PM
I agree there and he wouldn't have the criticisms I bet if he had Robin I bet Jar Jar would be a beloved character. About Oldman, lately he is less the overacter he once was. Take Harry Potter for example he didn't really over act in that movie, and I don't see him doing it in Batman Begins either as Commissioner Gordon. Maybe he is tone it down now, I don't know. Or is getting better characters I mean honestly the villian in the Fifth Element was written way over the top.

Nathanial K'cansce
Jun 26th, 2004, 09:33:10 AM
Not top hijack the topic or anything, but is anyone else bothered by this line:

British actor Gary Oldman will play the "deadliest" Star Wars villain ever in the franchise's final prequel Episode Three.

JMK
Jun 26th, 2004, 04:11:30 PM
Take it with a grain of salt. 6 years ago we were probably reading something like:

British stuntman Ray Park will play the "deadliest" Star Wars villain ever in the franchise's first prequel, The Phantom Menace.

Jedieb
Jun 26th, 2004, 06:22:59 PM
I agree about Oldman's work in HP. I took my son to see it and I thought Oldman was one of the highlights of the movie. I actually wouldn't have minded if the film had featured more of him.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 26th, 2004, 08:26:11 PM
Well he will be in the next two so I think there is hope there. I like Oldman overall, he has some over cheese roles but lately he has been doing better job acting.