PDA

View Full Version : Oscar Watch

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 21st, 2004, 08:41:09 PM
I saw this on Hollywood reporter it is an interesting article

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr/columns/grove_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1000535213

So in there opinion there has only been three films that have come out up to this point that have major oscar hope. The Passion, Shrek 2 and Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. Personally I think none of those three will get Best picture nods. Shrek 2 should get best animated film. Harry should be big in the techincal areas (VFX, SFX, Cinemotography, Art Direction and Score, I can't see anything else) Although I would love to see it happen, I don't think it will. Best Director is interesting but I don't even see that happen. The Passion well I think there is a lot against it for the Oscar. Mainly to me the release date. Only one film has gotten a best picture nod that early in the last like 15 years and that was Silence of the Lambs, so history is against it getting nominated. Also people inside Hollywood, weren't happy about it at the time, not sure of their opinions now, but they weren't 4 months ago. Right now it will probably be 5 films that come out between September- December, I am not sure if anything from the Summer has a chance. So what do you think CMJ :)

CMJ
Jun 21st, 2004, 09:09:55 PM
Fargo was also released VERY early in the year, but yeah...the release is working against TPOTC. I read this article and on another board I frequent and we couldn't believe they didn't mention Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

Granted it came out too early and is too bizarre to score a BP nod, but I think acting and screenplay nominations are very likely.

BTW - ETSOTSM is the best film I've seen this year. Hell maybe this new decade.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 21st, 2004, 09:23:04 PM
I forgot about that movie, it will probably get a Screenplay nod like you said. And why did the reporter think that Cuaron has a good chance for BD nod? Is he really popular in hollywood or they just looking at what had come out? Now I would love to see him get it but I don't think it will happen. Harry's best chance at awards will probably be the BAFTAs since England has a bigger fascination with Potter than anywhere else, well except maybe Japan.

CMJ
Jun 21st, 2004, 10:34:46 PM
Cuaron is a previous nominee - but I think the reporter was grasping for straws.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 21st, 2004, 10:38:38 PM
Yeah that is probably it. I just don't see it happening even though I loved the movie, I figure they will reward it by giving it techinical awards which I think it deserves anyway.