PDA

View Full Version : Sky Captain and the World of Tommorrow

CMJ
Jun 16th, 2004, 11:16:29 PM
Well, I just got back from Paramount where they had an early screening of SCATWOT. How early? Some of the F/X shots weren't complete and a few times work print notations would be visible on screen.

Nonetheless, it was about 90% complete I'd wager(if not more). What can I say...this flick was A TON of fun. The look of the film did not disappoint if you've seen the trailers. Heck that alone is almost enough for me to recommend it.

Technically the film was amazing - especially the sound effects editing. I can't imagine it not being nominated for that and visual effects(even with the 30's comic feel they're cool as hell). The acting was more than a bit over the top, but they were definitely paying homage to the 30's serials(and comic books) so instead of being irritating, it was rather endearing.

Storywise...well...do you really go see this kind of movie for the story? :smokin

As far as BO potential I'm not sure. The audience didn't seem to "get" it to me. It's rather different from alot of blockbuster movies, yet it isn't. ANYWAYS, I hope it does well...if only so other directors will try new things.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Jun 16th, 2004, 11:32:13 PM
It's really rare when I want to go to the theatre to see a movie, but I want to see this one so bad. I've only seen the trailer once, but I was instantly taken with it. Now I want to see it even more after reading your post.

Figrin D'an
Jun 16th, 2004, 11:44:20 PM
When I first saw the trailer for this, I thought it had potential to be a good flick if it pulled off the adventure serial angle well. I admit, I do want to see this, just to see how much of a throwback it turns out to be.

Commander Zemil Vymes
Jun 17th, 2004, 06:02:27 AM
God this movie looks like fun :) I can't wait.

Dasquian Belargic
Jun 17th, 2004, 06:06:05 AM
Angelina Jolie + Eyepatch = Win!

I will be seeing it :D

JMK
Jun 17th, 2004, 07:22:30 AM
I've been looking forward to seeing this as well, it looks like a blast!

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 17th, 2004, 08:40:03 PM
They delayed the movie to September which I thought was a bad sign, now it still looks like it might be a fun movie but it might not do well at the box office, hard to say at this point.

CMJ
Jun 17th, 2004, 08:44:53 PM
Well the CG wasn't all done like I said. Even though I found it to be alot of fun, I'm not sure how it's BO prospects are. Alot of folks seemed to not get the "cheese" factor. I heard all kinds of hokey comments as we were let out.

I think film geeks will enjoy it for the most part, but "normal" people won't.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 17th, 2004, 08:47:49 PM
Do you know, was it moved because of the CGI not being done or because of a crowded June? I heard it was the latter but don't know. I think it would get lost right now between POA, Shrek 2, Spiderman 2, DAT, and Riddick. Might have been a good idea to move it then.

CMJ
Jun 17th, 2004, 09:24:55 PM
Probably a bit of both. I'm sure Paramount could have rushed the CGI thru to completion if they really needed to, but the fact that the month was so crowded anyways gave them little reason to do so.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 17th, 2004, 09:33:32 PM
Yeah this month was insane honestly. I didn't think it would been brutal when I first glanced at the month. I think this explains somewhat why certain movies haven't done as well like Harry Potter for example (although it is doing fine IMO). So maybe moving it to the dead month of September could actually help it.

Mu Satach
Jun 17th, 2004, 11:21:41 PM
I've desperately wanted to see this flick since I saw the first frame of the trailer ages ago.

CMJ
Jun 17th, 2004, 11:39:15 PM
I had been high on it since my first viewing of the trailer back in December too. :)

Mu Satach
Jun 18th, 2004, 12:06:26 AM
It gives me a giddy little kid feeling when I watch the trailer. :)

Sejah Haversh
Jun 18th, 2004, 01:37:59 AM
Okay, this film sounds right up my alley.

Now how come I've never heard a word about it before today?

Peter McCoy
Jun 25th, 2004, 02:47:56 PM
I'll go see it because it's got a cool look to it, plus it's got Jude Law in it. I think he's great as Gigalo Jo in AI.

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 16th, 2004, 06:44:07 PM
With it coming out tomorrow figure I resurrect this old thread. I might go see it, I am not sure yet. CMJ I want to ask you the cast listeing has Laurence Olivier listed as the bad guy. He has been dead 15 years how is in the movie? Just curious how much he is in the movie.

CMJ
Sep 16th, 2004, 08:11:56 PM
I don't wanna spoil it for ya....but it's kind of appropriate. ;)

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 16th, 2004, 10:17:12 PM
Heh so he is in it somehow cool. I have got to see how they do that.

Mu Satach
Sep 17th, 2004, 06:49:48 PM
Originally posted by CMJ
I don't wanna spoil it for ya....but it's kind of appropriate. ;)

ARGH!!! Food or Sky Capt. Food? or Sky Capt.? Food or Sky Capt. Food? or Sky Capt.? Food or Sky Capt. Food? or Sky Capt.? Food or Sky Capt. Food? or Sky Capt.?

I don't get paid until next week... :cry:

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 17th, 2004, 06:53:58 PM
Yeah can't see this weekend either I wanted to but I just can't I am going to try to catch a show during the week.

Zeke
Sep 18th, 2004, 11:02:23 PM
I just got back from seeing it. I promise you all that nobody will be disappointed. :D I'll talk more about it once more people have seen it. I dont' wanna go tempting people with spoiler tags and all that.

Lilaena De'Ville
Sep 19th, 2004, 01:21:26 AM
Sky Captain is amazing. Definetely go see it!!!

Mu Satach
Sep 20th, 2004, 10:31:58 PM
Payday can't come soon enough. :)

Lilaena De'Ville
Sep 21st, 2004, 12:14:42 AM
A friend of my husbands was disappointed with the movie, because he said the story was too 'simplistic.' Pshaw, I say! Obviously he wasn't into the 1930's aspect of the film.

Mu Satach
Sep 25th, 2004, 06:42:50 PM
It was everything I love about 1930's films and more. Gah! I think this is now one of my most favorite films of all time. =)

My favorite line... Lens cap. :D

Aiden Xaar
Sep 25th, 2004, 07:31:11 PM
Hmm. 1930's comic book sci fi thingy. With Angelina Jolie in it. Do I take the girlfriend? Naaaaah. ;)

Going to see it next week...hopefully...

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 25th, 2004, 10:02:01 PM
I saw it tonight I really liked it. It was a very fun movie. I loved how Sir Laurence Oliver was the bad guy. It was cool how they found out he was dead for like 20 years. I think Oliver has been dead for that length of time. I just thought it was a neat touch. I would defintely recommend this movie.