PDA

View Full Version : Is Lucas retiring?

Wysperz
Jun 16th, 2004, 05:51:28 PM
I was reading an article on the CNN website (http://www.cnn.com//2004/SHOWBIZ/Movies/06/15/star.wars/index.html) . The third paragraph left me a bit dumbstruck as I read it and re-read it. Figured I'd post it in here and see how others interrupt it. And yeah, it's been a long day so if the paragraph is blatantly obvious as to its meaning and I'm just not getting it - forgive me.

The summer movie season in its current form exists partially because of these films, and next summer will be akin to when a weary battle-hardened soldier finally retires and lets his proteges take the knowledge he's passed on and use it as best they can.

Is this hinting that Lucas is considering retiring? Maybe hinting that he's retiring from anything doing with Star Wars and has others in mind whom he will allow to make more films, cartoons, novels, etc?

Figrin D'an
Jun 16th, 2004, 06:38:00 PM
It seems to me that it's more an metaphor about the Star Wars storyline itself being completed. It was really Star Wars and Jaws that established the summer blockerbuster pattern for Hollywood (among other precedents those two films set), and it's just a way of saying that, with the Star Wars story finally being completed, it's kind of a quiet passing of the torch.

Lucas himself has said that he has other projects he wants to pursue once Star Wars is done. What those projects might be, no one really knows. I don't see him retiring really, at least not from storywriting and producing. He won't be making a film every couple of years, but he won't stop entirely. I'd give it about 5 years past Episode III (in about 2010) that we'll see something new from him (not counting Indy IV, if it happens).

Wysperz
Jun 16th, 2004, 07:34:50 PM
Ahh, thanks for responding, Figrin.

Yes, those who read this can call me corny and cheesy, but I do think I might actually cry when I see the end of Ep III. Those who are around my age might understand. My first experience with Star Wars was the debut of the original Star Wars (A new Hope) when it hit the big screen back in 1977. I was seven years old and my dad made a big deal out of going to see this film. He pumped up the excitement for a week straight by leaving me notes before he left for work in the morning, saying things like: Be a good girl. Remember friday night. Or: Be good. Help mommy. Don't forget our family date friday night..

Well, let me tell you that a seven year old can hardly sit still for more than five minutes as it is. But to have your dad pumping you up for this film for a week straight! It was torture. Friday couldn't come fast enough for me.

My mom made a huge grocery bag of hot-buttered popcorn. Dad bought ice for the cooler and tossed in soda and chocolate milk (for my brother) and we went to the drive-in.

Normally, I'd drive my parents batty by constantly fidgeting or shifting around in my seat on the couch while watching tv or a movie on tv. However, the minute the opening score blared over the speaker hooked over the car window, I was mezmorized.

I read the funny stories about "Imperial recruiting begins with the children" ... and such things like that on sites such as the Holonet and other SW fanfic sites. But when I think back to the moment I became a fan of Star Wars ... :) There may be some truth in that.

Having seen all of the films thus far, having read all of the books (up to Vector Prime - which I still cannot get past the first three paragraphs) - I admit that when I consider EP III will be the last Star Wars film; it sends a bittersweet pang straight to my heart.

(I do hope Lucas renigs his statements about not producing EP's 7, 8, & 9 :) )

Just thought I'd share my "How I got into Star Wars" moment.

darth_mcbain
Jun 16th, 2004, 10:05:35 PM
Yeah, when I read that I interpreted it more in the way Figrin mentioned - that it was symbolic of the impact those movies had on the industry. Not that Lucas was retiring.

JMK
Jun 17th, 2004, 06:52:12 AM
Agreed, Lucas won't pack it in. Somehow he thinks he can be known for something other than Star Wars...good luck with that GL!

Dasquian Belargic
Jun 17th, 2004, 07:21:17 AM
(I do hope Lucas renigs his statements about not producing EP's 7, 8, & 9 )

I can't see that happening, and in many ways I'm happy that's the case.

JMK
Jun 17th, 2004, 07:23:58 AM
Oh yeah, I'm glad with that!

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 17th, 2004, 07:57:40 AM
In hindsight, he should have retired before TPM.

JMK
Jun 17th, 2004, 09:02:29 AM
He should have taken the same role he did with ESB and RotJ with the prequels if you ask me.

ReaperFett
Jun 22nd, 2004, 05:44:51 PM
IIRC, he wants to move on to other projects.