PDA

View Full Version : Alien Vs Predator, full trailer

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 15th, 2004, 11:08:46 PM
It looks pretty cool
http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox/avp/trailer/

Looks better than the last two Alien Films that is for sure.

Charley
Jun 16th, 2004, 07:11:46 AM
I weep for both franchises :(

Where are my space marines???? :mad

Dasquian Belargic
Jun 16th, 2004, 07:18:24 AM
Needs more Sigourney Weaver.

Seriously, not feeling enthusiastic or optimistic about this in the slighest.

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 16th, 2004, 07:52:18 AM
Originally posted by Jedi Master Carr
It looks pretty cool
http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox/avp/trailer/

Looks better than the last two Alien Films that is for sure.

How hard would that be?????

darth_mcbain
Jun 16th, 2004, 08:02:47 AM
It definitely looks much different in tone than the earlier movies in both franchises. Once again, the choral music a la "Carmina Burana" makes its appearance in a trailer - didn't see that coming... :)

I don't know - could be a good fun popcorn flick, though I'll probably wait for DVD...

Shawn
Jun 16th, 2004, 08:45:48 AM
It's too early in the timelines for either Space Marines or Sigourney Weaver. And I feel that Weaver's presence would severely detract from the film, since they'd have to give more screentime/story to her and less to the Aliens and Predators. This isn't about adding depth to the mythos of either franchise: It's about seeing the two species duke it out, ala Freddy vs. Jason.

JMK
Jun 16th, 2004, 09:24:33 AM
That's exactly what this is about. We should consider ourselves lucky to see any humans in this at all!

Charley
Jun 16th, 2004, 10:21:40 AM
Originally posted by Shawn
It's too early in the timelines for either Space Marines or Sigourney Weaver. And I feel that Weaver's presence would severely detract from the film, since they'd have to give more screentime/story to her and less to the Aliens and Predators. This isn't about adding depth to the mythos of either franchise: It's about seeing the two species duke it out, ala Freddy vs. Jason.

What its lacking is the macchismo-dripping, gun-toting human element.

Predator 1 - Ahnold :cool nuff said. The rest of his gun-toting bad boys don't hurt either. :love Jesse Ventura & his gun :love
Predator 2 - Danny Glover. Not Ahnold, but he was the old guy in Lethal Weapon, so he does have credentials.

Alien - Sigourney Weaver is enough of a force in this I suppose.
Aliens - SPACE MARINES :D Hicks, Vasquez, etc. Big egos and bigger guns.

The difference between these movies and the Freddy and Jason movies is that the normal people in those franchises have been nameless weenies, who are always more or less fodder for the villain. They have no personality. With both Alien and Predator franchises, this is not true.

This is the problem inherent in this movie. Sure its nice that Aliens and Predators are duking it out, but the movie really needs the kind of ground pounders that make R. Lee Ermey grin with malicious delight.

The silly weenus in the trailer trying to pull off Ahnold's "You're one ugly ____" makes me cry tears of blood. He simply is not convincing enough to do this.

I swear on my grandmother's grave, if there isn't some variant of a cigar-chomping leatherneck with a giant machine gun, I will be a sad panda indeed.

Kitty McQuade
Jun 16th, 2004, 10:43:36 AM
I love Ripley, but it's time to pass the torch.

Shawn
Jun 16th, 2004, 10:47:00 AM
Originally posted by Kitty McQuade
I love Ripley, but it's time to pass the torch. YES!

Charley
Jun 16th, 2004, 10:52:01 AM
what is that, farscape?

Kitty McQuade
Jun 16th, 2004, 10:55:10 AM
correct :D

I'd love to see Claudia in the Aliens vs. Predator universe.

Jak Prent
Jun 16th, 2004, 10:56:19 AM
nah. Not doing it enough for me.

Droo
Jun 16th, 2004, 11:09:27 AM
Originally posted by Kitty McQuade
I love Ripley, but it's time to pass the torch.

Doesn't do anything for me I'm afraid. She looks like Daniel Day-Lewis from Last of the Mohicans only with a gun.*

As for this movie, it has some potential, depending on which direction it has been taken although unfortunately it does look like it's going to be Freddy vs. Jason but with Aliens and Predators pasted over them. There needs to be some really strong human characters; raw, coarse and deep characters whom we can use as our perspective through the movie. But given the directors histroy, I doubt we'll see such characters.

Could be better than Alien Resurrection though. If on par with it, I'll be satisfied, anything better and I'll be a happy chappy.

* Edit: To elaborate on this, for a heroine I like it when she has some depth of character and plenty of room for growth rather than taking a woman, beefing her up and giving her a stern look and a big gun with all the traits of Arnold Schwartzenegger.

This is why Ripley is one of my favourite heroine's, she develops wonderfully throughout the first three Alien movies; before they turned her into a clone in number 4.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 16th, 2004, 11:20:22 AM
Well we got good old Lance Herickson (sp) in it. Its cool to see him in the film.

Soolin Anjhurin
Jun 16th, 2004, 11:31:51 AM
I'll let Claudia's resume (and her talent) speak for itself.

Shawn
Jun 16th, 2004, 11:32:48 AM
Originally posted by Dru
As for this movie, it has some potential, depending on which direction it has been taken although unfortunately it does look like it's going to be Freddy vs. Jason but with Aliens and Predators pasted over them.Sounds good to me.
But given the directors histroy, I doubt we'll see such charactersI've liked all of his films.
To elaborate on this, for a heroine I like it when she has some depth of character and plenty of room for growth rather than taking a woman, beefing her up and giving her a stern look and a big gun with all the traits of Arnold Schwartzenegger. But that's completely not what she's about. Try not to make too many judgements based on a picture of the person.
This is why Ripley is one of my favourite heroine's, she develops wonderfully throughout the first three Alien movies Claudia Black developed exceedingly well over the course of Farscape. Of course, this can be attributed to the writers, but she really brought the character alive.

Droo
Jun 16th, 2004, 11:47:54 AM
Fair enough, if I'd been shown a shot of Ripley with that large pulse rifle from Aliens I would've probably jumped to the same conclusion but as I was saying, I just don't see this as a film in which the writing or directing will be very character-based; two of his films I've seen are Resident Evil and Mortal Kombat. Both of which were more a case of setting/events before characters.

Shawn
Jun 16th, 2004, 11:53:19 AM
Absolutely. And they were both lots of fun. :) Event Horizon probably strikes a balance between the setting and the characters, but most people hate that film, as well.

Paul Anderson probably won't ever win a "Best Director" award, but I think he accomplishes exactly what he sets out to do: To entertain.

Droo
Jun 16th, 2004, 12:10:10 PM
As I was saying to Peter, he loves his source material and is, for want of a better description a big sci-fi geek, that is why I think he is a good choice to direct AVP. There is a very noticeable bit of homage to the Alien franchise towards the end of that trailer in which one of the walls has engraved into it the mirror image of the poster picture from Alien 3.

A good choice of director but not a great choice, I think his films tend to appeal to fans of the source material(when concerning this and his RE and MK films) more than your average movie-goer but I'm sure it will be enjoyable. Some of the alien CGI from that trailer looks about as good as the CGI from Alien 3 though. :\

Dasquian Belargic
Jun 16th, 2004, 12:12:49 PM
They were using CGI? It looked like puppets to me o_O

Droo
Jun 16th, 2004, 12:16:24 PM
Most of it is animatronics and guys in suits but there are some CG shots in there.

darth_mcbain
Jun 16th, 2004, 01:16:12 PM
There was one shot of the Alien that looked pretty obviously CGI in there. I think most of the Predator shots looked like suits.

Mu Satach
Jun 18th, 2004, 12:02:33 AM
hrm.... my anticipation meter just dropped a few notches...

I adore the idea of aliens and predators going at each other.

Don't like the idea that now it's some kind of epic war thing going on,
in my mind it turns the Predators from mega mad hunters with Skillz, into the Orkin Man who's declared a war on the bugs.

I also don't like the idear that it's taking place in the present or near future as I always had the impression that if the aliens made it to earth, to quote Bender, "We're DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!" Obviously, we didn't get podded out as Ripley and Space Marines rock out in the future. (Though I have to admit that if there was prior knowledge about the Aliens then that would explain the Company's desire to capture them.)

So in less than a minute, the trailer just succeeded in ripping the ultimate bad arseness of the Aliens AND Predators out from under me. =|
Oh well, still going to see it, just not opening weekend now... probably an early afternoon showing... or dollar flick depending on what trusted friends report about it.

jjwr
Jun 18th, 2004, 04:55:15 AM
Looks fun to me! Not something I'll go out of my way to see but it definetly has potential!

Both races still seem very cool, with the Predators work I am curious how the story will unfold to make it plausible why they are there.

As for them being on Earth, maybe the fact that its in Antarctica, my guess would be the Aliens couldn't stand the surface cold and even if they don't all die would never be able to get off the continent without freezing to death.

Jedieb
Jun 18th, 2004, 03:32:38 PM
Teaming up these 2 sci-fi villians is about the only way to get me interested in an Alien or Predator sequel. Alien, Aliens, & Predator = Great. Predator 2 = watchable. Alien3 and Resurrection = Crap. That's what I've thought of them and nothing's going to change my mind. I expect AvP to fall somewhere in between Great and Watchable.

Is anyone rooting for the Aliens or the Humans? I'm hoping the Predators come out on top. Having them vanquish the human race would throw off the Aliens timeline and that's a shame. But hey, maybe they could just wipe out everyone on the ice and then head off on a victory cruise? :evil

Zasz Grimm
Jun 18th, 2004, 08:02:03 PM
Originally posted by Jedieb
Teaming up these 2 sci-fi villians is about the only way to get me interested in an Alien or Predator sequel. Alien, Aliens, & Predator = Great. Predator 2 = watchable. Alien3 and Resurrection = Crap. That's what I've thought of them and nothing's going to change my mind. I expect AvP to fall somewhere in between Great and Watchable.

Is anyone rooting for the Aliens or the Humans? I'm hoping the Predators come out on top. Having them vanquish the human race would throw off the Aliens timeline and that's a shame. But hey, maybe they could just wipe out everyone on the ice and then head off on a victory cruise? :evil

Charles Weyland will probably survive. (Henriskon.)

Originally posted by Soolin Anjhurin
I'll let Claudia's resume (and her talent) speak for itself.

While Claudia Black is a great actress, she could never fill the shoes that Weaver has made, at least in my opinion.
Originally posted by Mu Satach
hrm.... my anticipation meter just dropped a few notches...

I adore the idea of aliens and predators going at each other.

Don't like the idea that now it's some kind of epic war thing going on,
in my mind it turns the Predators from mega mad hunters with Skillz, into the Orkin Man who's declared a war on the bugs.

It's a ritual every thousand years, or so said the featurette (how it begins) that young predators are tested, etc. PRedators are never out to exterminate, they're indulging in primal feelings. Hunter, prey.

Sarr Koon
Jun 19th, 2004, 01:30:55 PM
I'm looking forward to this movie believe it or not. I saw the first Predator a while ago and loved it. Been wanting to see more of them ever since.