PDA

View Full Version : Firefox (Phoenix/Firebird) 0.9 is out.

Morgan Evanar
Jun 15th, 2004, 09:32:27 AM
http://mozilla.org/

Figrin D'an
Jun 15th, 2004, 10:07:53 AM
r0x0r

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 15th, 2004, 04:14:19 PM
Advantage of my homepage set to the firefox home page... firsthing done. Always surprises me how well it works. Another home run.

Sejah Haversh
Jun 15th, 2004, 04:38:52 PM
Does it support Flash now?

Morgan Evanar
Jun 15th, 2004, 04:42:22 PM
It has always supported Flash. O_o

I just installed Flash, it works fine.

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 15th, 2004, 04:50:24 PM
Who wants Flash anyway????????

Sejah Haversh
Jun 15th, 2004, 06:21:23 PM
www.homestarrunner.com I do.

Alex
Jun 16th, 2004, 04:02:47 AM
Lol. Cheat Commandoes!!

D/L in progress...

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 16th, 2004, 06:42:58 AM
Originally posted by Sejah Haversh
www.homestarrunner.com I do.

Yeah, but you draw furries. That says your weird

Charley
Jun 16th, 2004, 07:08:12 AM
Originally posted by Marcus Telcontar
Yeah, but you draw furries. That says your weird

lol he's got you by the short & curlies on that one

Jared Mriad
Jun 17th, 2004, 04:17:46 PM
http://www.madnesscombat.com/main.php?id=toons Says I do.

Dasquian Belargic
Jun 19th, 2004, 02:52:47 AM
I'm getting problems with this occasionally. A 'Netscape Customer Report' or something pops up sometimes, and then seconds later the browser crashes. Help?

TheHolo.Net
Jun 24th, 2004, 02:25:04 PM
Originally posted by Dasquian Belargic
I'm getting problems with this occasionally. A 'Netscape Customer Report' or something pops up sometimes, and then seconds later the browser crashes. Help?
What I have read suggests that you need to do a "Complete" uninstall and then reinstall it. Here are the directions I followed which worked very well for me.

First off: This browser uses a new extension manager. What does that mean? It means your old ones won't work, if you're coming from an early 0.8/0.7. You have to get rid of your old extensions. There is no upgrading to it, you have to get rid of it. It uses a different path for your profiles and extensions. Ok? So how do you do that? Like this:

Go download the new Firefox, but don't install it. (www.mozilla.org)

Close your current Firefox browser.

Go here in Windows Explorer:
C:\Documents & Settings\%username%\Application Data\firefox\default.xxx\
...and save a backup of bookmarks.html somewhere. Not there, though. We're about to destroy it. (If you can't see Application Data, then you need to turn on "view hidden files & folders" underneath Windows Explorer. tools -> folder options -> view)

If you see cookies.txt and formdata.whatever, then you can copy those, too, for convenience's sake. If you ever created a user.js, then grab that too. It'll only exist if you made it though, so don't be surprised if you don't see it.

Then navigate to the chrome directory. If you have a customized userContent.css or userChrome.css there, then make a backup copy of that as well. If you don't have one, then don't worry about it.

Now delete the Firefox directory that's underneath Application Data.

Now go to C:\Program Files\firefox\plugins directory. Copy all of that stuff somewhere else.

Now delete the firefox directory that's underneath Program Files.

Now install your new version of Firefox. Close Firefox, and put the files you copied right back where you copied them from- with the exception of instead of the original.
C:\Documents & Settings\%username%\Application Data\firefox\default.xxx\
it will be

C:\Documents & Settings\%username%\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\default.xxx\
Ok, so now you have your old bookmarks, custom settings, and Firefox is running along pretty good. If it's not then I don't know what to tell you.

Themes are still shaky at this point, but here's a few links to themes and extensions that should be compatibile with the new Firefox:

Extensions (http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=79512)
Themes (http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=79513)

Another possibly easier suggestion I have seen a few times if you are already running .9, is for you to delete your Mozilla profile directory in the application data folder and let it rebuild it on its own. Be sure to make a backup of your bookmarks first so you can get them back.

Dasquian Belargic
Jun 24th, 2004, 02:35:26 PM
Well, I've tried this out, will just have to wait and see now :)