PDA

View Full Version : Haha, I've got to try this at least once

Dan the Man
Jun 13th, 2004, 02:11:33 PM
http://www.accuratereloading.com/videos.html

Somebody made a .577 caliber magnum rifle, dubbed the Tyrannasaurus Rex.

Let me put this into perspective. Caliber is measured in decimals of an inch. A Ma Deuce or a Barrett fire .50 caliber bullets. This thing fires .077 inches wider, which doesn't sound like much, but keep in mind it's also the size of any other hunting rifle, whereas a M2 or a Barrett are squad-sized or larger weapons.

Thus, people are invited to test-fire the .577, and hilarity ensues.

Dasquian Belargic
Jun 13th, 2004, 02:19:22 PM
http://www.serveroptions.com/humor/ali1.mpg

Haha, blew his earthingies right off :D

Dan the Man
Jun 13th, 2004, 02:23:33 PM
The best part about these are everybody around the shooting booth laughing at the poor guy pulling the trigger when he blows himself across the room.

Figrin D'an
Jun 13th, 2004, 03:26:00 PM
My dad used to have a .460 Weatherby. That thing was damn near impossible to use.

I wouldn't even want to attempt to use that .577 monstrosity.

Charley
Jun 13th, 2004, 07:33:42 PM
Heavy game loads like the Weatherby and such scare the crap out of me. I'd love to shoot them mind you, but its just got crazy power :eek

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 13th, 2004, 07:56:15 PM
Pointless. Utterly pointless but so cool in the same way adding 10 psi before the wastegate of a WRX opens is pointless - it does the same job but in a manner so ruthless and outright... blokey it never fails to bring a smile to any real male.

Charley
Jun 13th, 2004, 08:14:22 PM
Well, I wouldn't go as far as to call it truly pointless. There are some animals that take one hell of a beating before they go down. Elephants come to mind, as to Kodiak, Grizzly, and Polar bears, plus things like Musk oxen, water buffalo, etc.

The usual prescription for taking any of these on is magnum loads of obscene scales. To put it into perspective, hunters in Alaska are known to carry a Smith & Wesson 500 (Thats a .50 caliber magnum pistol), as a LAST DITCH BACKUP

I don't know whats scarier. A gun that powerful, or that such power is necessary at times.

Shawn
Jun 13th, 2004, 08:51:02 PM
Ever hunted boar? I've known someone to shoot off half a boar's head and still have the sucker continue charging at them.

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 13th, 2004, 10:32:08 PM
Originally posted by Shawn
Ever hunted boar? I've known someone to shoot off half a boar's head and still have the sucker continue charging at them.

Razorbacks in aust, definatly thats the case. You need a damn good rifle and a shotgun. If the rifle dont stop it, hope like hell the shotgun does.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Jun 13th, 2004, 10:36:22 PM
I'm never firing that gun. EVER. :(

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 13th, 2004, 10:44:16 PM
I must say, it seems even the obviously good shooters not being able to contain the recoil. Awesome

Also the look of awe and almost sexual desire after firing the thing.

Roj'yor'nuruodo
Jun 15th, 2004, 07:49:42 PM
Originally posted by Marcus Telcontar
Razorbacks in aust, definatly thats the case. You need a damn good rifle and a shotgun. If the rifle dont stop it, hope like hell the shotgun does.

That's when you have somebody with a 20 gauge waiting in the back of the ute :D

Or you just use a good old sniper rifle "on loan" from the army

Charley
Jun 15th, 2004, 08:13:12 PM
20 gauge is insufficient for anything except squirrel, rabbit, quail, duck, and other smaller game. You'll need at least 12 gauge for heavy game like that, with 00 buckshot loads or heavier.

As for army sniper rifles, they primarily load a 7.62x51 NATO ball round (.308 caliber), which is fine & dandy as a manstopper, but not particuarly desirable for something as thick-skinned and hearty as a boar. About the best you'll do with that caliber is large deer.

imported_Marcus
Jun 15th, 2004, 10:16:17 PM
Charley's got it right - you dont go screwing about with wild boar, especially the razorbacks. Anything that doesnt take em down more or less gets them angry and they will kill you if they get close enough.

Basically think steel plate. Then, you have the right idea what a razorback's skull is like. Body shots dont really work, they'll just keep coming. You need a head shot and you need to do it right.

Aarron Mathinna
Jun 16th, 2004, 04:35:58 AM
There is a simpler way than using guns you know.

*Grabs a pound of C4, throws it at the boar then shoots it with a 9mm. Pig parts every where. Looks innocent.*

OK so maybe it was a bit of an over kill....

*Looks at the 9mm*

But I still used a gun.

Charley
Jun 16th, 2004, 06:35:06 AM
Originally posted by Aarron Mathinna
There is a simpler way than using guns you know.

*Grabs a pound of C4, throws it at the boar then shoots it with a 9mm. Pig parts every where. Looks innocent.*

OK so maybe it was a bit of an over kill....

*Looks at the 9mm*

But I still used a gun.

C4 won't detonate with ballistic impact, and your idea is not clever.

Get out of this thread.