PDA

View Full Version : Garfeild. Why?

Sejah Haversh
Jun 2nd, 2004, 09:59:37 PM
Why is Garfield the movie happening? What caused someone to think that it was a good idea?

The comic has not been funny in over ten years, and the ads for the movie appear about as laugh-inducing as a month in Aushwitz.

Can anybody give me a good reason that Garfield has been put on the big screen?

Rhea Kaylen
Jun 2nd, 2004, 10:17:10 PM
Actually, loath as I am to say it, you probably just gave all the reasons for a Garfield movie--the comic stip's no longer funny, so why don't we sell the rights to someone who will churn out a movie dripping with the new Midas touch of film, a CG character? We'll just pen a script while we're still under the influence of whatever it was we were smoking when we decided this was a good idea, and see if we can pawn it off as a winner by using one of America's most beloved comic characters as the spokesman for Goldfish snack crackers.

Yeah. This one'll be a keeper.

Figrin D'an
Jun 2nd, 2004, 11:46:10 PM
Garfield used to be one of my favorite cartoon strips. Note the term "used to be." Jim Davis ran out of ideas a long time ago though, as has been mentioned.

The movie looks completely horrid. I cringe when I see the trailer for it on TV.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 2nd, 2004, 11:49:35 PM
I know this will bomb easily. When I saw Shrek 2 the kids were silent during the trailer for it, which is a bad sign.

Sun Zao
Jun 3rd, 2004, 12:03:44 AM
Not sure which one sucks worse: Garfield or Catwoman.

I'm pretty sure Catwoman will suck more, but not by a big margin.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 3rd, 2004, 12:05:26 AM
Bomb of the summer to me is between those two and Around the World in 80 Days. 80 Days might actually be the bigger bomb because there are reports its costs are between 100-150 million.

Kyle Krogen
Jun 3rd, 2004, 12:22:36 AM
I think the Comic is Ok but the movie looks (Uses Simon Cowel Voice) Gastly (End Simon Cowll voice)

It dosnt look based on anything, and even the bits in the trailer that I am guess where suppost to be funny were absolutely lame. I think it will be a big disaster and all the Gerfield fans who go to see it will be very disapointed at what they see

AND Catwoman looks really lame also......

Rhea Kaylen
Jun 3rd, 2004, 12:23:52 AM
*raises hand*

Here's one Garfield fan that won't be seeing it.

Arya Ravenwing
Jun 3rd, 2004, 12:47:22 AM
I'd go see an Odie film.

An Odie and Pooky and Nermal film.

Sejah Haversh
Jun 3rd, 2004, 02:17:27 AM
Oh good golly, Around the World in 80 Days looks like an even bigger fiasco than Catwoman. I mean, the book was good. Why'd they have to go and screw it up so bad.

And I take back my previous comment about Jackie Chan's English getting better. Though he may be able to speak it, he must not have been able to read tbe script for that horrid mess.

Oh, and about Garfield's voice, I have but one thing to say:

Lorenzo Music is the only acceptable voice of Garfield. He was brilliant back in the days of the animated Garfield and Friends show, and voiced him well in other things, such as the time when Garfield made an appearance on the radio program, "Storytime with Barbara Bush," which I remember listening to as a kid.

Simon Cowell sounds awful, and is a terrible fit. Lorenzo Music is the one and only Garfield, in my book.

JMK
Jun 3rd, 2004, 06:44:00 AM
I go into convulsions whenever I see the trailer or TV spot. Just horrid stuff.
How they got the likes of Bill Murray (Garfield) Breckin Meyer (Jon Arbuckle) and Jennifer Love Hewitt (Liz Wilson) into this mess is waaaaaay beyond me.

jjwr
Jun 3rd, 2004, 06:47:52 AM
Bill Murray was a bit suprising and it does have a decent cast.

A interesting note on Lorenzo Music from IMDB.com

The voice of Peter Venkman in "Real Ghost Busters, The" (1986) and Garfield in numerous cartoons. Peter Venkman was played by Bill Murray in Ghost Busters (1984). Bill Murray is the voice of Garfield in Garfield: The Movie (2004).

Jinn Fizz
Jun 3rd, 2004, 06:54:08 AM
I still enjoy the comic strip, but I won't go near a theater showing the movie. As everyone else has said, this movie looks beyond bad. Plus, the timing has turned out to be terrible...although I'm one of an extreme minority who was disappointed with Shrek 2, Puss in Boots was terrific. So one kitty cat already rules the summer. Garfield is just a poser. :p

Droo
Jun 3rd, 2004, 07:34:10 AM
Originally posted by Sejah Haversh
Simon Cowell sounds awful, and is a terrible fit. Lorenzo Music is the one and only Garfield, in my book.

I think you've misunderstood an earlier post because Simon Cowell isn't the voice of Garfield, Bill Murray is, regardless it does look bad and not even Murray could save this one, I think.

As far as "Around the World" goes, I think it looks fantastic and absolutely hilarious; Steeve Coogan is a comedy god and could make this film. Whenever Jackie Chan tends to do a double team like this it tends to work out quite nicely (Rush Hour 1 and 2) and very funny.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 3rd, 2004, 08:40:01 AM
Now Around the World 80 Days might be good, but it could still bomb because of its costs have to wait to see how much interest that film gets.

Dan the Man
Jun 3rd, 2004, 09:14:21 AM
It looks like the same recycled ham from the "Shanghai" series of movies, except without humor.

Master Yoghurt
Jun 3rd, 2004, 09:28:42 AM
Question: Garfeild. Why?

Answer: Me, you and a lot of people who posted in this thread are NOT the ones going to see it. Scooby doo and Cat in the Hat looks like worthless piece of trash to me, yet the kids flock to to see these kinds of movies. Its one of those CGI affairs making money wether you like it or not. Having said that, I dont think it will make near the gross of those movies above. 20 million opening weekend may be possible though.

As for Around the World 80 Days, its a good story, but its definitely not something attracting crowds lining around the blocks to see it. It is very likely a bomb or a flop relative to its production budget. Personally, the problem I have with it, there allready is a movie about this story, and its a timeless classic. What the heck was wrong with the 1956 version? Absolutely nothing!

Catwoman: ~10-20M opening weekend max

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 3rd, 2004, 09:31:24 AM
Well 20 million max opening weekend but there is one bad sign as I said when I saw Shrek 2 the kids didn't care about the Garfield trailer, no laughter no wanting to go see, just silence. To me that is a bad sign. My nephew doesn't even want to see it and he loved the Scooby movies.

Alex
Jun 3rd, 2004, 09:43:40 AM
Garfield is a more adult sort of film. Its for an older generation than the scooby stuff. They're probably hoping to catch student+ people who saw it when they were younger, and want to go and see it, just for the sake of it.

Whether you go and see it or not, people will, even if its just to discover its utter crap. People will go to see Garfield because its another cartoon made into a film, just like Scooby was. Ok, it doesn't have everything going for it that Scooby did (Sarah Michelle Gellar in a miniskirt springs ti mind), but the fact that its Garfield means that people will go and see it.

It'll make the 20 million, probably. It doesn't have to be a good film, or have good trailers to do that. People will go, not like it, and consequently not buy the DVD. *shrug* Besides, all you're putting forward are opinions. You never know - there might be people out there that actually like the film. Just because you don't doesn't mean someone else will.

Thats my intelligent, diplomatic thing out of the way. Now for my actual opinion: Garfield is gonna suck. Badly. I ain't wasting £10 to to a cinema and watch it. And even if I did go to see it, it'd probably be one of the films that I'm not bothered about wandering out to the toilet in the middle of.

And yes, I know that last sentence wasn't gramatically correct. But I'm on a school holiday. I actually got up this MORNING...so I'm allowed to be tired, and allowed to have an un-working brain. :D

JMK
Jun 3rd, 2004, 11:27:11 AM
Originally posted by Alex
I actually got up this MORNING...so I'm allowed to be tired, and allowed to have an un-working brain. :D

I feel the same way, except I'm at work!

Ryan Pode
Jun 3rd, 2004, 12:54:16 PM
At least Catwoman has Halle Berry prancing around in a leather outfit.

Commander Zemil Vymes
Jun 3rd, 2004, 01:07:58 PM
Originally posted by Ryan Pode
At least Catwoman has Halle Berry prancing around in a leather outfit.

Yeah, and?

She's a horrible actress in a worse outfit.

How about I save my money and watch scrambled softcore at home instead. I'll be better off that way.

Droo
Jun 3rd, 2004, 01:27:04 PM
Halle Berry is a great actress when given the right material. I think she will pull off the performance very well actually but all you have to do is look at the state of the outfit and general plotline and you get an idea of what the production for this movie had in mind. The film itself will be dreadful, I fear.

ReaperFett
Jun 3rd, 2004, 01:44:59 PM
Around the World doesn't look that bad. Steve Coogan is great, and the trailer got a few laughs.

Garfield.....meh, not for me. I mean, who would be interested in walking talking furry creatures ;)

But come on, Catwoman will outsuck the entire year, and last year.

Master Yoghurt
Jun 6th, 2004, 11:19:19 AM
There is review of Garfield. And the reviewer asks the exact same question as the topic starter; why?

http://movie-reviews.colossus.net/movies/g/garfield.html

It does indeed look like something to avoid

Dasquian Belargic
Jun 6th, 2004, 11:20:28 AM
Cast: Breckin Meyer, Jennifer Love Hewitt, Stephen Tobolowsky, Bill Murray (voice)

Oh, I can't believe they lowered themselves to such levels. Especially Bill.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 6th, 2004, 12:03:06 PM
Well Jennifer Love Hewit I am not surprised her carrer has been circling the toilet for a while now.

ReaperFett
Jun 6th, 2004, 12:07:17 PM
Wish Garfield had been a mixture of CGI cat and CGI Bill Murray :D

Master Yoghurt
Jun 6th, 2004, 12:07:37 PM
:: flushes the toilet ::

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 6th, 2004, 12:14:51 PM
LOL somebody needs too :p