PDA

View Full Version : The Stepford Wives

CMJ
Jun 1st, 2004, 11:26:30 PM
You gotta love early test screenings. :D

Anyways, just got home from Frank Oz's The Stepford Wives. Overall a good - not great - black comedy. Bette Milder was a standout, but she had by far the funniest character to play. Glenn Close was hilariously over the top. Walken wasn't in the film as much as I expected, but he was terrific as usual. I think he's terribly underrated as a comedic actor.

Nicole Kidman was a solid lead. Broderick complimented her pretty well - but he's always had good comedic timing. The acting all around was pretty solid(it really has kind of a big cast).

There was some genuinely hysterical stuff, but the film was also pretty subversive.... That is, until the last 10-15 minutes which were a total cop out and a tad preachy. It'll probably be a good sized hit for Paramount.

I'd rate it 3 out of 4 stars....pretty close to 3.5 out of 4.

Charley
Jun 1st, 2004, 11:28:49 PM
I can't wait to see this remake :)

Shawn
Jun 1st, 2004, 11:41:24 PM
I'm kind of interested, if only because Matthew Broderick is in it. Probably wait for a rental or something of the sort.

jjwr
Jun 2nd, 2004, 05:56:08 AM
It looks interesting, I like the concept. Odds are this is something I will catch on Video or maybe the drive-ins.

JMK
Jun 2nd, 2004, 06:40:54 AM
I'm somewhat interested in seeing this too. A good cast from the sounds of it, and Faith Hill! :D

darth_mcbain
Jun 2nd, 2004, 06:48:12 AM
This is probably one I'll wait for on DVD, but it does look pretty interesting and different.

Lilaena De'Ville
Jun 2nd, 2004, 08:57:40 AM
I want to see this movie. But I'll see The Chronicles of Riddick first, which probably won't be as good.

Charley
Jun 2nd, 2004, 09:13:11 AM
Why do you want to see Riddick? Didn't you notice its a Vin Diesel movie?

Shawn
Jun 2nd, 2004, 10:11:05 AM
Actually, the trailer for that looked pretty good. Yes, I'm just as surprised that I'm saying that as you are. I also hear that the game based off the movie is the first licensed game ever that's really good.

Charley
Jun 2nd, 2004, 10:24:17 AM
Originally posted by Shawn
Actually, the trailer for that looked pretty good. Yes, I'm just as surprised that I'm saying that as you are. I also hear that the game based off the movie is the first licensed game ever that's really good.

We obviously didn't see the same trailer.

Shawn
Jun 2nd, 2004, 11:03:27 AM
It looked kind of like the recent Dune remakes, only not butchering the plot.

Charley
Jun 2nd, 2004, 11:09:58 AM
Yes the stylistic similarities between Dune and Riddick are apparent, but there's one glaring exception:

Riddick has Vin Diesel in it, and Vin Diesel hasn't been in a movie where he didn't play "Vin Diesel" since Saving Private Ryan, and he was killed in that.

How this guy attracts a following is beyond me. He can't act his way out of a cobweb.

Shawn
Jun 2nd, 2004, 11:18:37 AM
I don't really expect the full movie to be noteworthy, but I figure it can't hurt to give it a shot. Vin Diesel really is a terrible actor. But I'm trying to consider him as just "Generic action movie actor #3".

Dan the Man
Jun 2nd, 2004, 11:24:54 AM
I'm playing my cinematic journeys as frugally as possible. I can barely afford to see a Shrek 2 matinee, so Riddick is definitely not making the cut.

JMK
Jun 2nd, 2004, 11:35:17 AM
I've seen that trailer so many times now I feel like I've seen the Chronicles of Riddick. :rolleyes

Lilaena De'Ville
Jun 2nd, 2004, 12:32:08 PM
Originally posted by Charley
Why do you want to see Riddick? Didn't you notice its a Vin Diesel movie?

Yes. But I liked Pitch Black, and I love science fiction, and so its something I'm going to go see, regardless of your personal opinion. :mneh

Dasquian Belargic
Jun 2nd, 2004, 12:36:04 PM
Back on topic for a moment, I'm looking forward to Stepford Wives. The trailer really caught my attention and I've heard good things about the original/book from my mum sooo :)

JMK
Jun 2nd, 2004, 01:37:06 PM
And it's directed by Yoda, so there has to be something good about it. :)

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 2nd, 2004, 03:11:12 PM
I am not sure about it, the trailer gives away half the movie, IMO. I have a feeling it will be a miss at the box office with all the competition in June from Harry Potter, to Riddick, Terminal and Spiderman 2 I think it will get lost.

Dan the Man
Jun 2nd, 2004, 03:36:43 PM
Uhh yeah especially since it directly competes with none of those movies.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 2nd, 2004, 03:55:40 PM
It competes with Terminal for certain, also Parents will be taking their kids to see Harry Potter and Spiderman and won't have the money to go Stepford Wives. I think it will be a disapointment less than 100 million.

Charley
Jun 2nd, 2004, 04:42:15 PM
That's a disappointment? Why, I wasn't aware.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 2nd, 2004, 04:54:08 PM
Well I mean box office wise and for the studio. This movie costs close to 80 million if it makes less than 80 it will lose money or barely break even which isn't good for the studio, I guess that is what I mean.

Lilaena De'Ville
Jun 2nd, 2004, 06:58:10 PM
Spiderman opens well after Stepford Wives. At least, two weeks after, if I remember correctly? I guess I fail to see how Spiderman will affect it's opening weekend, which is when movies seem to make or break it, if what I read people in here to be saying is correct.

I think The Stepford Wives will do okay, it certainly appeals to women, and Faith Hill appeals to men...so it's win/win. ;)

Charley
Jun 2nd, 2004, 07:14:37 PM
This movie will appeal pretty evenly to adults, men & women alike, I think.

Its definitely got credentials. Great cast, great director, remade from a great book/movie. This thing would REALLY have to suck to not make good money.

Shawn
Jun 13th, 2004, 01:22:52 AM
Anyone who's familiar with my posts here will quickly realize that I'm pretty forgiving with movies. But the Stepford Wives is easily one of the worst movies I've ever seen. I cannot fathom how plot developments can be this boring and insipid without being deliberately so. Aside from having absolutely zero surprises or plot twists that the audience isn't clearly aware of, the film is full of glaring plot holes and contradictions. I couldn't even begin to suspend my disbelief.

The Stepford Wives also tries to be one of those quirky films that balances itself between Drama and Comedy. Unfortunately, it fell down, rolled into the road and got hit by a car. Which, coincidentally, is the fate I wish upon whoever wrote the script. While the acting was pretty spot on (Walken and Broderick really stole the show), the script was just too terrible for them to really do much about it. The best actor in the world is going to sound like an idiot if the lines he's given are written by a 12 year old afflicted with Down's Syndrome.

There were a few jokes that aren't too terrible out of context, I suppose. But the movie didn't elicit so much as a chuckle from me at any point.

I can't emphasize how much you need to avoid this movie. It's easily the worst movie I've seen in as long as I can recall.

JMK
Jun 13th, 2004, 06:43:41 AM
Ouch!!

That may be the harshest review I've read, professional or otherwise since Freddy Got Fingered!

Shawn
Jun 13th, 2004, 07:12:33 AM
I generally don't try to warn people away from movies, but the Stepword Wives was really terrible. It insults the viewer's intelligence. About the only positive thing I can say about it is that it seemed mercifully short.

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 13th, 2004, 07:21:21 AM
Somehow, I expected this one to be a warmed up poo.

Dan the Man
Jun 13th, 2004, 08:50:29 AM
:( oh well. So much for high hopes.