PDA

View Full Version : Correcting First Impressions (Drake Shadowstalker - Finished)

Je'gan Olra'en
May 31st, 2004, 06:05:47 PM
The Sith Knight was invisible again, standing under a tree and waiting to see if Drake would come when his Master didn't show up. For them to work well together, he knew, there had to be a measure of trust.

But there was a long way to go before even that.

Drake Shadowstalker
May 31st, 2004, 06:56:37 PM
Drake had recieved a message from Olra'en and had been instructed to meet on the Training Grounds for their second training session. From the last moment of the Apprentices' first lesson, he had trained vigorously. Fueled by the desire to expand his skills, he rested only when his body would allow him to go no further. Although he could have used the Force to fuel him even more, he was not willing to accept the strain it would have on him.

As he made his way onto the Training Ground, Drake still felt somewhat fatigued. He had only allowed himself 4 hours of rest in the past few days. Now was the time to tap into the Force and grant him endurance and strength. His body was not exhaused so it wouldn't hurt.

Drake felt out Olra'ens force signature and followed it towards the heart of the woods. After a few minutes he entered into a small clearing. Olra'en was nearby, but not visible. After a few moments of probing the surrounding area, he felt Olra'en under a tree at the edge of the clearing. Turning so his body faced the tree he spoke a word of greeting and bowed.

Je'gan Olra'en
Jun 1st, 2004, 06:41:38 AM
Shule bowed in return, the illusion fading.

"I'm most impressed, Drake, and I'm quite proud. You've come a long ways since our earlier encounters.

"A word to the wise, if I may: rest a day or two each week. It'll give your body time to rebound from the stress of hard training. If you don't rest from time to time you'll lose it all. And sleep really is essential. Seven hours minimum."

He didn't say how he knew Drake's habits, but that was irrelevant. Shule had already moved on, taking a knife from his belt and cutting a chunk of bark from the tree behind him. He presented the bark to Drake.

"You've got some affinity for mentalics, that much is clear. We're going to make the most of that. You wouldn't happen to know anything of how to make an illusion, would you? Perhaps a guess?"

Drake Shadowstalker
Jun 1st, 2004, 08:15:31 AM
"It would seem logical to wrap the object in the Force and then project a mental picture of what you desire it to be, or not be."

The Apprentice thought this was a reasonably safe answer. Even if he was wrong, it wouldn't bother him. That is what he came here to do...learn.

Je'gan Olra'en
Jun 1st, 2004, 06:04:50 PM
"Project it through the Force, yes. And it must be a precise picture, and also constant. That's why it takes a considerable level of control: the illusion cannot waver.

"That works for changing the way an object looks. What about making a new object appear out of nowhere?"

Drake Shadowstalker
Jun 1st, 2004, 07:39:56 PM
Although not entirely sure, Drake tried the best way he thought could explain it.

"More concentration would be required to sustain an image that is not the base of another. That would mean an increase in the power to be used. The bigger the illusion, the more power it would be required to make and then maintain. Like you said before, a constant precise picture. Although in this case even more so."

Je'gan Olra'en
Jun 1st, 2004, 09:08:26 PM
"True...except you've missed something. You can't 'wrap the object in the Force' like you said. You have to have a crystal-clear knowledge of an object first. In later levels, you can create an image from scratch, but just now you have to remember and really know a real object that you've looked at through the Force."

He flipped the bark chunk at Drake.

"Try with that."

Drake Shadowstalker
Jun 1st, 2004, 11:01:53 PM
Drake caught the small piece of wood in an outstretched hand. He held his palm out and pointing up, with the piece of bark resting in the middle. In his mind he vividly etched a picture of a coin. The shape, the size, and everything else relating to it was formed crystal clear in his head. Then he projected a small amount of the Force around the piece of bark. It shimmered faintly and took on all the appearances of the picture in his mind.

Je'gan Olra'en
Jun 2nd, 2004, 06:30:34 AM
"That's right. Very good, Drake."

He narrowed his eyes, watching intently. "Very good indeed. Keep the details constant, remember."

Now to see how long this would last...

Drake Shadowstalker
Jun 2nd, 2004, 07:55:53 AM
ooc: how long should it last, i can edit it if you want.

ic:

The Apprentice ran through the details in his mind constantly, never allowing them to wane. The ammount of strain it put on his mind was minimal at first, but then started to grow with each passing second. 30 seconds...45 seconds...a minute...two minutes. Then, abruptly the illusion disapeared.

Je'gan Olra'en
Jun 2nd, 2004, 12:33:01 PM
OOC/ Perfect.

IC/ "Nicely done. What would you say to making a second chunk of bark appear beside that one?"

Drake Shadowstalker
Jun 2nd, 2004, 06:07:27 PM
The Apprentice fixed his cold eyes upon the chunk of bark that lay in his palm. He ran his eyes over every detail that could be visibly seen. The image was etched onto the surface of his mind and he had a crystal clear picture of it. Next, he focused a small piece of Force energy directly next to the chunk of bark. Projecting the image in his head, a replicant of the chunk of bark appeared.

Je'gan Olra'en
Jun 2nd, 2004, 07:12:56 PM
"There we go," Shule said approvingly. "You're coming along well, Drake. Very well indeed.

"Now...make the tree disappear."

There was no chance that the Apprentice could do so, of course, but Shule's voice and face made it clear that he was serious.

Drake Shadowstalker
Jun 2nd, 2004, 07:59:53 PM
Drake was somewhat perplexed by this new task that Olra'en had given him and it showed when his eyebrows lifted momentarily. Immediatly the Apprentice wiped the emotion from his face and reset it with none at all. He wondered if his Master even believed he could accomplish such a feat.

"I do not believe I possess enough skill as of yet to accomplish such a feat." He paused briefly. "...But since you've instructed me to do so, I will at least try."

Drake looked up and down the length of the tree. Slowly he began to wrap it in a coating of the Force. After the tree was surrounded, the Apprentice felt exhausted. In his mind he pictured nothing at all. Completly blank. The air around the tree shimmered briefly but it remained and Drake lost the connection.

Je'gan Olra'en
Jun 2nd, 2004, 09:00:49 PM
Shule surveyed the entire process with minute care, nodding here and frowning there. At last, as Drake succumbed, he nodded one final time.

"Are you still capable of illusion after that exertion?"

Drake Shadowstalker
Jun 2nd, 2004, 11:14:13 PM
"Possibly I could do something small again, but for only a brief amount of time. That last attempt has left me somewhat mentally exhausted."

Je'gan Olra'en
Jun 3rd, 2004, 06:40:17 AM
Again he nodded.

"But not physically exhausted. You can still fight."

Drake Shadowstalker
Jun 3rd, 2004, 08:39:47 AM
Drake gave a brief inclination of his head.

"Yes, I can still fight."

Je'gan Olra'en
Jun 3rd, 2004, 03:45:20 PM
"Then do so."

Shule didn't move in the slightest.

Drake Shadowstalker
Jun 3rd, 2004, 05:48:41 PM
Drake looked around expecting to see perhaps a weapon rack like the one used during his first lesson. He didn't see anything in the clearing except fallen leaves and scattered rocks.

"Master...I have no weapon and there is non present."

Je'gan Olra'en
Jun 3rd, 2004, 08:05:25 PM
"Then if you need one, find one."

Drake Shadowstalker
Jun 3rd, 2004, 09:49:13 PM
Drake's mind was beginning to froth with anger. What kind of training is this, he thought to himself. His expressions betrayed nothing of what he was feeling or thinking. However, Jedi and Sith alike could read people's minds and feel emotion.

Looking around once more at the edge of the clearing he saw a branch that he could use. Walking over to he reached up and broke it off. Had he not been so mentally exhaused, he would have used the Force blast the damn thing from the tree.

He walked back over to Olra'en and stoon motionless. He felt quite the fool and that didn't please him.

Je'gan Olra'en
Jun 4th, 2004, 02:25:45 PM
"That's one way to do it, yes. Observe another."

BANG!

One of the small rocks laying about had abruptly rammed itself into a nearby tree.

Je'gan turned black eyes on Drake. "Even without telekinesis, a rock small enough to fit into your fist can be a potent weapon. 'By small and simple things,'" he quoted, "'are great things brought to pass.'

"But since you've chosen a branch, use it as you would a sword, or a staff, or a spear."

Drake Shadowstalker
Jun 4th, 2004, 03:40:06 PM
"And what exactly would you like me to do?"

Je'gan Olra'en
Jun 5th, 2004, 10:08:03 AM
"I did say 'fight', did I not?"

Drake Shadowstalker
Jun 5th, 2004, 01:13:13 PM
Drake took a few breaths to steady himself. What kind of game was Olra'en playing?

"Fight what?"

Je'gan Olra'en
Jun 5th, 2004, 02:08:18 PM
"Me."

Drake Shadowstalker
Jun 5th, 2004, 03:17:34 PM
"You have no weapon. What point would there be in fighting you?"

Je'gan Olra'en
Jun 5th, 2004, 03:31:41 PM
Shule grinned, sharklike.

"There's a point. Trust me."

Drake Shadowstalker
Jun 5th, 2004, 07:36:24 PM
Even though Drake was still unsure as to what Olra'en had in mind, he was done asking questions. He hefted the tree limb a couple times and got a feel for the weight. Then he aimed a horizontal slash directly at Olra'en's neck. The Apprentice had trained relentlessly and he hoped that it would show.

Je'gan Olra'en
Jun 5th, 2004, 07:47:51 PM
Shule's knees bent very slightly, and he leaned back, and the branch missed. Barely - a trailing bit of bark lashed across his temple - but it missed.

"A duck," he said, recovering and holding up a hand for a pause. "Cravenly, ridiculously simple. Yet very effective. Always keep on guard for it.

"Keep going."

Drake Shadowstalker
Jun 6th, 2004, 12:21:39 AM
Drake swung the branch upwards and aimed for right under Olra'en's head.

Je'gan Olra'en
Jun 7th, 2004, 07:04:29 AM
The Sith Knight snapped both forearms down in a cross-block that stopped the branch dead.

"Much better. Keep going."

Drake Shadowstalker
Jun 8th, 2004, 08:50:38 PM
After Olra'en blocked his upward attack, Drake lowered the make-shift weapon and brought it back up again as he finished a full spin. The weapon was aimed halfway up from Olra'ens torso.

Je'gan Olra'en
Jun 8th, 2004, 08:52:34 PM
Just to see what would happen, he ducked.

Drake Shadowstalker
Jun 8th, 2004, 10:27:26 PM
Drake's body continued to spin and his weapon completely missed Olra'en. But, as the weapon swung through the space where Olra'en was and his body begin to twist again, he brought his foot up and aimed a kick at him.

Je'gan Olra'en
Jun 9th, 2004, 06:29:17 AM
Focusing on Drake's primary weapon, he almost missed the kick, and as he was already a bit off his balance from ducking, it took more effort than he was used to to knock the kick away with a low forearm block.

He used the momentum nevertheless, lashing out with a sidekick at Drake's back.

Drake Shadowstalker
Jun 9th, 2004, 03:27:11 PM
The Apprentice didn't see the kick coming and Olra'ens foot landed squarely in the middle of his back. He was knocked severly off-balance because he was still spinning. Stumbling forward, he caught himself before he fell flat on his face.

Drake stood to his full height after he regained his balance and turned to face Olra'en once again.

Je'gan Olra'en
Jun 9th, 2004, 03:48:02 PM
"Your kick was good," he said dispassionately. "Use your whole body in a fight if you can.

"There are circumstances that prohibit this, however. Here."

He tossed Magor at Drake, curved handle flipping like a boomerang to land squarely in the Apprentice's grasp.

Drake Shadowstalker
Jun 10th, 2004, 01:34:27 AM
Drake immediately recognized the weapon to be a lightsaber. He had only seen a few in his life and never held one, but there was no mistaking the elegant weapon. After flinging his make-shift weapon through the trees, the Apprentice ran his fingers over the lightsaber. He ignited the weapon and the blade whoosed out. It added nothing to the overall weight of the lightsaber. Drake slashed the weapon in front of his body carefully to get a feel for it.

Je'gan Olra'en
Jun 10th, 2004, 07:09:27 AM
The weapon was beautiful, at least to Shule: black-and-silver hilt, sky-blue blade slightly shorter and thinner than normal, and even the vicious hum sounded almost musical. He'd built it to mark his knighting.

"Got a feel for it yet?"

Drake Shadowstalker
Jun 10th, 2004, 10:09:55 AM
Drake stood with the weapon held in front of him. The light-blue color of the blade reflected off his scarred face. The Apprentice vaguely wondered if he would be leaving with all of his limbs intact. A lightsaber was different from most weapons and could be just as, if not even more lethal.

"Yes...the weapon feels well now. What would you have me know?"

Je'gan Olra'en
Jun 10th, 2004, 03:36:26 PM
"That its use does not guarantee supremacy nor survival. Attack me, Apprentice."

Drake Shadowstalker
Jun 10th, 2004, 08:44:50 PM
Drake was through questioning the orders given to him by Olra'en. The Knight still didn't have a weapon and yet he still wished to be attacked. Only now, the Apprentice wielded a potentially deadly weapon. Drake supposed he must be severly underestimating the skills of Olra'en.

The Apprentice dashed up to Olra'en and issued forth a penetrating jab with the lightsaber. He decided to play it safe and start with simple techniques.

Je'gan Olra'en
Jun 11th, 2004, 06:21:06 AM
Shule sidestepped neatly, avoiding Drake's correction and catching the lightsaber's hilt firmly with his right hand, immobilizing it.

"Are you balanced? If I pull you forward - like so-" he tugged slightly on Drake's saber hand "-are you going to move forward? Balance is very, very important."

He released the saber and moved back.

"Try again. Keep your balance this time."

Drake Shadowstalker
Jun 11th, 2004, 10:18:58 AM
The Apprentice took a few steps back and readied himself. The information that was given him was stored in his mind so he would remember it always. Drake despised making the same mistake twice and if at all possible would avoid doing it.

Doing as Olra'en had instructed him, he kept his weight centered and thus well balanced. The Apprentice feigned a right diagonal slash and brought the saber around in a left diagonal slash.

Je'gan Olra'en
Jun 11th, 2004, 11:13:49 AM
He leaned back out of the way of the right slash, intending to kick Drake on the right forearm and missing - for once - the fact that it was a feint. The left slash came in, and still leaned back, he spun his entire body to the left and instead kicked Drake in the left forearm as the slash missed.

Drake Shadowstalker
Jun 11th, 2004, 02:16:45 PM
The kick connected with the forearm of the Apprentice and the lightsaber almost flew out of his hands. Had he been holding it with one hand it would have. Drake checked where the Knight had kicked and found that the damage was minimal. Nothing was broken.

Olra'en recovered from his counter-attack and Drake attacked him again. The Apprentice mimicked his last attack but he did not feint. He simply aimed a slash across Olra'en's body. If the Knight leaned back again, Drake was prepared to execute a swift leg sweep. The leg sweep was one of many maneuvers that the Apprentice had practiced.

Je'gan Olra'en
Jun 11th, 2004, 02:35:11 PM
He did indeed lean back, but Drake, while dedicated, was telegraphing slightly, and a backstep to ground his stance solidified him enough that the sweep had little effect.

Drake Shadowstalker
Jun 11th, 2004, 07:28:30 PM
The Apprentice flicked off the lightsaber and rolled away after his failed leg sweep. Not desiring to lose any limbs, he was still playing it safe with the deadly weapon. After regaining his footing on the ground he flicked the lightsaber back on and the blue blade issued forth once more.

For his next attack, Drake spun and did a hard back slash with the saber.

Je'gan Olra'en
Jun 12th, 2004, 06:15:18 AM
Shule stepped in as Drake spun, far enough that he couldn't be reached. He almost collided with Drake - almost. When the Apprentice came around from the spin, he found his saber arm deadlocked against his body and his Master's black eyes staring him in the face.

"Personal preference, of course," he said conversationally, "but I tend to avoid spins. They leave one wide open. Otherwise, I commend your discretion."

Drake Shadowstalker
Jun 12th, 2004, 01:03:25 PM
The Apprentice nodded to Olra'en and then freed himself from the lock. It was embarassing to say the least that Olra'en could pretty much own him even without a weapon. With time and practice, Drake hoped to change that very soon. He would train day and night for as long as it took. Of course he would rest more in the future then he had done during his first few days of hard training.

"Do you mind if we move on to something else?"

Je'gan Olra'en
Jun 12th, 2004, 05:06:13 PM
"Pride damaged a little?" Shule needled. "Don't worry. I've been here almost a year, and I've studied weaponry and martial arts for almost a decade now.

"Yes, let's move on. What would you suggest?"

Drake Shadowstalker
Jun 12th, 2004, 07:21:18 PM
Drake flaired briefly at the hint of provocation but he kept it hidden. He vowed to not let what Olra'en said effect him. The Apprentice would regret it significantly if he reacted violently to something Olra'en did or said. As much as he hated life, Drake did not wish for his own to be ended...yet. Drake said in his low voice.

"You're the one teaching me, what would you suggest?"

Je'gan Olra'en
Jun 12th, 2004, 09:56:26 PM
"Let's talk mentalics. You're slightly tired from sparring, but mentally you're back to where you could accomplish something with the Force.

"You can sense and project emotion. Those are powerful tools in the right hands, and I do mean powerful. Imagine wrapping a crowd around your finger, never mind what drivel you were passing off as wisdom. With practice and dedication, you could be capable of expert rabble-rousing like that within, say, a month or two.

"You can create minor illusions. That can come in very handy at times; during a fight, or when you want to go unremarked-upon. I daresay that at your current level of competance you could cover those scars for a little while.

"Those are, however, offensively oriented techniques. I haven't taught you how to truly attack another's mind, although now that you know how to bridge psyches that should come fairly easily to you. Everyone has their own offensive style, and I should hate to rob you of yours.

"We're essentially finished with the basics of Alter Mind, save for the true Mind Trick, which we'll look into a bit later. For now, we go back to the starting discipline, what the Jedi refer to as Control.

"There are others out there who can influence minds, and defence is necessary. I can't teach you how to see through the more powerful illusions, but I can give you some sense of how to stop a pure attack like those I and one of my Apprentices are capable of."

He cocked an eyebrow.

"You interested? It's a far cry from anything we've learned just yet, and I can't guarantee it'll be comfortable..."

Drake Shadowstalker
Jun 12th, 2004, 11:08:57 PM
"I care nothing for how comfortable I am as long as I learn something beneficial."

Je'gan Olra'en
Jun 14th, 2004, 07:30:44 AM
"Very well, then.

"Your mind has a surface, yes? A boundary between self and not-self. That boundary is what any attack or influence must cross before it can affect you.

"Say you were to attack someone's mind. What would your five major targets be?"

Drake Shadowstalker
Jun 14th, 2004, 09:19:24 AM
Drake was far from certain that he knew the correct answers to this question. All of this was new to him for he had had no past experience with it. It seemed Olra'en found some sort of pleasure in his ignorance.

"An individuals fears would be a sensible target. Any weak spots where they have not constructed proper barriers. Make them re-live past horrors in their life. The last two answers elude me, Master Olra'en..."

Je'gan Olra'en
Jun 14th, 2004, 03:09:14 PM
"Weak spots, yes," Shule said. He nodded affirmatively, taking a seat on the ground. "Good answers. Everyone has fear, and most have bad memories. Those are powerful techniques, but learning to root those images and memories out will take time.

"Let's put it this way instead. A mind is like a machine. Like any machine, it has weak points, places where if one gear goes off its peg, the effectiveness of the entire structure is compromised. How would you go about compromising a mind? What is critical to its workings?"

Drake Shadowstalker
Jun 14th, 2004, 04:00:42 PM
"For any mind to function properly it would have to be sane, have the ability to make rational decisions."

Je'gan Olra'en
Jun 14th, 2004, 05:25:39 PM
Darth Shule slapped his knees in satisfaction, chuckling slightly.

"I couldn't have put it better myself, Drake. Sanity is one of the biggest ones. Reduce the ability to rationally interpret their surroundings, and they're dead.

"Another?"

Drake Shadowstalker
Jun 14th, 2004, 07:46:57 PM
Drake thought privately to himself for a few moments. The first one had been rather easy, but the second was proving to a bit more challenging. After a little contemplation, the Apprentice felt he had arrived at a reasonable answer.

"Comprehension is a critical factor in the functioning of a mind. If a person does not comprehend what they are seeing or feeling then they become confused and unable to react accordingly."

Je'gan Olra'en
Jun 15th, 2004, 07:20:27 AM
"Indeed. Perception is critical.

"What of motor control? Having control over your body?"

Drake Shadowstalker
Jun 15th, 2004, 09:41:48 AM
"This would be relatively important as well. If someone cannot maintain control of themselves, then they are as good as dead."

Je'gan Olra'en
Jun 15th, 2004, 03:37:27 PM
He nodded and leaned back a little, albeit keeping his balance.

"Can you think of other critical points in one's psyche?"

Drake Shadowstalker
Jun 15th, 2004, 04:15:41 PM
The Apprentice was growing tired of this discussion. Why wouldn't Olra'en get to the point? Instead, he wanted to play a guessing game.

"I can think of no other. It would seem to me that all have been covered."

Je'gan Olra'en
Jun 15th, 2004, 04:17:19 PM
"You'll find more with time, Drake.

"Let's move on. How would you defend against someone who's attacking your perception?"

Drake Shadowstalker
Jun 15th, 2004, 05:49:30 PM
"By using the Force to distinguish what is real and what is artificial."

Je'gan Olra'en
Jun 16th, 2004, 06:49:08 AM
He nodded, albeit slowly.

"If you're up against a run-of-the-mill mentalist, that'll work very, very well. There are those who are more experienced than I, though, and what do you sense there?" He pointed at an open patch of ground, working feverishly to twist the threads of the Force that crisscrossed over that patch. The twisting was not only difficult, but complicated, and to an experienced Sensor it would have a few irregularities. Against most Apprentices, however, it would seem a great deal like sensing a living, intelligent mind.

Drake Shadowstalker
Jun 16th, 2004, 11:01:24 AM
The Apprentice studied the patch of ground and could sense something.

"It has the feel of something that is alive."

Je'gan Olra'en
Jun 16th, 2004, 04:12:55 PM
He nodded, satisfied, releasing the weave.

"This is something of an advanced teaching, but I believe you're ready for it. Most Forcewielders have heard it said that they shouldn't trust their eyes, but instead the Force. The Force itself, however, can be manipulated; that is, in point of fact, the source of our power.

"So what am I saying? Not to trust anything but yourself. If you doubt what the Force tells you - as you saw and sensed with what I just did - then reach out, exert control as you were meant to do, and by controlling all, be sure of all."

Drake Shadowstalker
Jun 16th, 2004, 04:21:26 PM
Drake nodded slowly and, for the most part, he understood what Olra'en was saying. The Apprentice wasn't sure if the Sith Knight wanted him to speak back or to remain quiet, so he chose the latter.

Je'gan Olra'en
Jun 16th, 2004, 04:23:36 PM
"What are your thoughts on this?"

Drake Shadowstalker
Jun 16th, 2004, 04:29:45 PM
"None to speak of, but I understand what you are saying."

Je'gan Olra'en
Jun 16th, 2004, 04:34:44 PM
"I'll leave it at that, then." Shule waved dismissively. "Malice probably did a better job of summarizing the Sith way of life than I ever could, so we'll move back from philosophy and theory to practical study. Know, though, that I'm trusting you to practice mental and Force techniques as much as combat.

"Reach within yourself. Make an extrusion of your darkest self and throw it at me. This isn't supposed to have anything to do with what happens physically; it's more of a blow to the soul than anything."

Drake Shadowstalker
Jun 16th, 2004, 04:52:50 PM
The Apprentice summoned up all the darkness that resided within himself. His darkness, also became his power. Drake concentrated it all into one gigantic mass within himself. He then projected it very violently ar Olra'en.

Je'gan Olra'en
Jun 16th, 2004, 04:55:17 PM
"That's good," he said, rocking back a little as his shields turned the blow. "Try a little more focus, a little more precision. Make it less of a wave and more of a beam or bolt."

Drake Shadowstalker
Jun 16th, 2004, 06:15:44 PM
For his second attempt, Drake focused instead to a certain part of his body. In this particular instance, he chose his hand. All of his darkness flowed to the center of his hand and it was enveloped in a black wispy substance. The Apprentice cocked his arm back and flung it forward. A piece of the wispy substance detached itself from his hand and took the shape of a sphere. It hurtled through the air towards Olra'en.

Je'gan Olra'en
Jun 16th, 2004, 06:22:58 PM
He caught the sphere and neutralized it, albeit with slight effort.

"Excellent. Now...try to create a field around me, combining that darkness with a projected emotion. I'd suggest depression for a first try."

Drake Shadowstalker
Jun 16th, 2004, 06:40:43 PM
Drake focused his darkness, this time, around Olra'en. While at the same time projecting the emotion that Olra'en had indicated into the darkness. Drake thought of the most depressing things his mind could conjure up. The mixture created a sort of hazy bubble around his Master and the effect made him appear distorted.

Je'gan Olra'en
Jun 16th, 2004, 08:30:30 PM
"Now keep in mind that negative emotions like this do little to a Darksider; they may even strengthen him. It would take someone very special to gain power from depression, but there you have it.

"Catch."

Shule's hand shot out, and a bolt of darkness, considerably denser than those Drake had projected, rippled out through the bubble at his Apprentice. It was a test of two things; defensive ingenuity, and reaction time.

Drake Shadowstalker
Jun 16th, 2004, 08:56:47 PM
The Apprentice's hand shot out with his palm directed away from his body. His reaction was just in time, the bolt that Olra'en had released hit his palm as soon as it was extended. Drake's flew back and he almost lost control of the bolt. The hand that had caught the bolt was now posistioned very close to his head.

A sort of spiritual agony swept through his body at the first contact with the bolt. Olra'en had projected an emotion just like Drake had, only his was more powerful. Were it not for his own embedded darkness, the bolt would have crushed his spirit. After a few seconds, the bolt began to dissipate and soon nothing remained.

Je'gan Olra'en
Jun 17th, 2004, 08:14:35 AM
"What are you waiting for?" Shule said conversationally. "Strike back."

Drake Shadowstalker
Jun 17th, 2004, 10:17:20 AM
The Apprentice, this time, focused as hard as was possible for him. He mustered up all the darkness that could be found within himself, and then feeding it more with negative emotions, sent it, once again, to the center of his hand. This time around, the substance that coated his hand was thicker, and more alive then before. Drake cocked his arm back and flung it forward. Once again a piece was detached and took the shape of a spehere, hurtling through the air. Only, this time, more darker and denser then before.

Je'gan Olra'en
Jun 17th, 2004, 03:11:52 PM
The effort was visible as Shule took the blow, stopping it harmlessly.

"Nicely done. Now...how can you see yourself defending against something like that? Thirty...twenty-nine..."

At 'one', he spontaneously generated and propelled a shadowbolt at Drake.

Drake Shadowstalker
Jun 17th, 2004, 03:31:06 PM
The Apprentice had an idea on how to defend himself from such attacks. He let his own darkness stay concentrated to his hand, so it remained coated in the substance he used to fire at Olra'en. His plan was to fight darkness with darkness and in effect neutralize both.

Drake brought his hand up and the wispy substance writhed all around his hand. He was fully prepared this time when the bolt hit his outstretched hand and it remained in place. The effect of Olra'ens bolt this time was minimal. His own darkness that he projected acted more or less as a barrier or shield. Tendrils wrapped around Olra'ens bolt and shrunk it into nothingness.

Je'gan Olra'en
Jun 18th, 2004, 07:43:23 AM
"Well concieved and well performed. But can you keep it up?"

He began firing bolt after bolt, counting to five between each.

Drake Shadowstalker
Jun 18th, 2004, 09:09:18 PM
Wordlessly the Apprentice began to catch the bolts as Olra'en. threw them. Each one getting successfully more difficult to neutralize. On the fifth bolt that Olra'en threw, it made contact with his hand and his defense dematerilaized. He was left with nothing between him and the bolt. It tore at his spirit and emotions much the same way the very first bolt Olra'en had thrown. Drake managed to stay on his feet til the sphere disapeared and left him drained, sweating freely.

Je'gan Olra'en
Jun 19th, 2004, 07:19:27 AM
He watched Drake succumb dispassionately, but the bolt that broke him was the last that Shule fired.

"You seem to have an aptitude for using Shadow," the Sith Knight said, emphasizing the capital. "It would be well of you were to spend some of your practice time creating other ways to use it. Who knows; perhaps you'll find something I haven't thought of, and I'd be in your debt.

"Shadow is non-lethal, although if you cause enough damage to one's psyche it'll probably drive them mad. It has absolutely no physical substance, so it's an offensive technique first and foremost. You cannot use Shadow to block a mental attack, either. But it definitely has its uses."

Drake Shadowstalker
Jun 19th, 2004, 10:17:34 AM
The horrors in the Drake's past fueled his darkness greatly and he supposed that is what gave him more control over Shadow. Drake's darkness was created through a stream of events, it had not always been present. When it sprung up inside of him, he knew at the time it was powerful.

"Practice of this new ability will be on my training schedule. If that is all, I feel I should go and train myself now."

Je'gan Olra'en
Jun 19th, 2004, 10:35:54 AM
"Indeed," Shule said, eyebrow raised. "You've certainly taken enough hits for one day. Be sure to get some rest."

Drake Shadowstalker
Jun 19th, 2004, 11:02:16 AM
"I will rest after I get some training in."

The Apprentice turned and disapeared through the trees.

Je'gan Olra'en
Jun 19th, 2004, 02:43:43 PM
A slight grimace crossed Darth Shule's face as he spared a glance for his departing Apprentice. This training session had gone well, but not as well as he'd hoped; not nearly. Fortunately, he rather thought he had the remedy for Drake's intractable behaviour...