PDA

View Full Version : So ... You Like Comics?

Navaria Tarkin
May 23rd, 2004, 06:21:37 PM
Aka - What Nav/Dale does in her free time.

I posted this at meras, tho brief since everyone there knows what's going on. Not everyone here does so .... :)

For like, the past four to five years my boyfriend and I have tried to start our own comic company, Powerfulpress. It has been a PAIN PAIN PAIN. So, I don't recommend it for anyone that does not have the passion for it, the will, committment, and money. Oh yeah, make sure you're insane too for wanting to do self publishing. It's the only way to survive.

We have done two short stories in an anthology group called Shooting Star, but we knew we had to do our own product to gain respect. Now we have done it .. finally!

http://www.powerfulpress.com/store.htm

Metadawn is our superhero comic and is available now!

Nocturnal essence is the supernatural goodness brought to you by me :D And of course the better book .. I mean Vampires, Werewolves... no one likes that stuff here :mischief :lol This is on pre-order right now since the damn printer broke down and due to that, we fixed up page one of the book to make it look better. Mid-June we shall have it.

Just to make certain people don't think they need a payal account if you want to buy, you don't I say! Tis all good :) We work through paypal and the option to join them is there, but not required.

Sadly the site hasn't been overhauled yet (we are working on it!), but if you want to look at the artwork for the books, the pop-up thing is fixed. Clicky on the picture to blow it up works so much better now.

There is even a forum to say good and bad things about the books, so we can keep making them or make them better. On a side note, we are trying to do the books quarterly.

Any questions, post them here. I'll be happy to answer them and just as happy to share such good news with everyone here, who has been a part of my life for geesh.. almost just as long as I have been doing this :)

Dani <--- see I finally posted my real name without flipping out :lol

Estelle Russard
May 23rd, 2004, 06:51:25 PM
Congratulations you guys. You should be very proud.

Heres to great success!

Linn O'Conner
May 23rd, 2004, 06:53:38 PM
Wow, looks really great. Good luck! Congrats!

Kyle Raiden
May 23rd, 2004, 06:55:05 PM
*fumbles around in the draw by his desk* I know my PayPal info is round here somewhere...

Rognan Dar
May 23rd, 2004, 10:41:41 PM
Thats really cool. Now, what is it that you do? Do you draw some of the stuff out or just make up the story and script like thing??

Navaria Tarkin
May 23rd, 2004, 11:01:13 PM
I plot out the scripts and make the :mad face as I look through everything for Nocturnal Essence. I can't draw at all, tho I wish I could =\ make things cheaper :lol

But, I have the final say on everything. Art, script, lettering .. etc and so forth. ^_^

Navaria Tarkin
May 24th, 2004, 10:43:06 AM
doofus forgot an international order button thingy... but that will be rectified tonight! :) Sorry about that... I thought Lance did :shootin

edit - forgot to mention my friend Eric's wacky webcomic so here it is :D

http://www.radioactivepanda.com/

yes, yes. shameless plug but I love my bud

Navaria Tarkin
Jun 1st, 2004, 10:25:24 AM
http://newsarama.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13683

press release! Thought I share :D means things are moving and there are words spoken by me! :eek

Sable
Jun 1st, 2004, 10:52:07 AM
:) Congrats! I love comics so I'll be placing an order as well. Bookmarked your site and plan to visit it often and may end up stopping by your booth at one of the upcoming Cons.

Navaria Tarkin
Jun 1st, 2004, 10:58:09 AM
Oooo you mean like Wizardworld in Chicago? That would be great! Not sure of what other cons we are attending but we are working on it :)

I highly recommend everyone to attend if you wanna meet me. Well if you're in town :D :p

Sable
Jun 1st, 2004, 11:24:53 AM
Yup! Wizardworld rocks and I had much fun there last year. WindyCon takes place in Schaumburg (another con coming up and not too far from Chicago) and quite a few others are coming up too. My fiance and I definitely plan to attend Windycon and we're making arrangements at work to get the time off to hit Wizardworld. It's a little difficult to get time off for the both of us because he's the manager where he works and I'm the supervisor of 3 departments (soon to become 5 departments).

Navaria Tarkin
Jun 1st, 2004, 01:32:14 PM
wow.. dang.. Well I hope you can make it. So neat that someone here lives by me :D

Hopefully I won't be a flake at the table :|

Sable
Jun 1st, 2004, 02:03:53 PM
:lol S'ok if you're a flake. I use to live about 13 miles from the inner-city of Chicago and I've been to most of the cons that happen in the area up there. Currently, I live 3 1/2 hours to the west in Iowa and I absolutely love it! If we're able to make it, we don't plan to don our costumes though. Although, on a side note, I really need to get my butt in gear and finish a few up and get some pics of those posted in our gallery! Oi, so much to do and not enough time to do it in :\

Navaria Tarkin
Jun 22nd, 2004, 12:25:55 PM
I bump this to the top because Nocturnal Essence came in finally!!

:: does the happy dance ::

it was sorta anti-climatic since I waited so long but it is all good! I so hope the new printer dudes up in canada aren't of the suck.

Neyasha
Jun 22nd, 2004, 12:37:54 PM
Canada is NEVER full of Suck! well hardly ever... Okay from time to time we do suck! So what!

Kieran Devaneaux
Jun 22nd, 2004, 12:52:20 PM
The only good thing about Canada - probably from a pothead's perspective (AND NO, I AM NOT A POTHEAD) - is that marijuana is legal, unless that law was repealed and I haven't heard about it from my friends in Toronto... :D Though in my opinion, Canada is probably better than the U.S., considering the financial crap we're in here.

Dasquian Belargic
Jun 22nd, 2004, 01:00:06 PM
Canada is awesome. Downloading music is legal, and Canada has produced some fine musicians (Matthew Good :D)

ReaperFett
Jun 22nd, 2004, 01:01:38 PM
Originally posted by Dasquian Belargic
Canada is awesome. Downloading music is legal, and Canada has produced some fine musicians (Matthew Good :D)
They also produced Celine Dion.

Kieran Devaneaux
Jun 22nd, 2004, 01:01:45 PM
Oh, man, I definately wanna go now, LOL

Dasquian Belargic
Jun 22nd, 2004, 01:02:57 PM
Originally posted by ReaperFett

Canada comes pretty close, but no where is perfect.

Sanis Prent
Jun 22nd, 2004, 01:26:21 PM
Originally posted by Kieran Devaneaux
The only good thing about Canada - probably from a pothead's perspective (AND NO, I AM NOT A POTHEAD) - is that marijuana is legal, unless that law was repealed and I haven't heard about it from my friends in Toronto... :D Though in my opinion, Canada is probably better than the U.S., considering the financial crap we're in here.

Legal for medicinal uses.

However, the reefer in the Great White North that is used in said fashion is extremely poor quality, or so I've heard by the by. The people who smoke it have complained to Canada's wonderful socialized medicine program* that their reefer more or less blows.

Canadia's gun policies are somewhat of a mixed bag. You can only possess a firearm in your house, at a gun club, or in transit between the two. Furthermore, they have restrictions on autoloading handguns limiting the maximum size (what, why?), and in magazine fed shotguns and rifles, capacity is set to five, same as Aussie-land.

The good thing about Canadia's gun laws is that they don't have any importation restrictions like America does, which means that you frozen bastards can legally buy weapons from Norinco and other friendly arms dealers in Red China. While Norinco's quality control may be dubious, they can really undercut the market with their lower prices, which some think is a :cool thing.

I have an acquaintance that somehow owns a Norinco SKS (I don't ask, and he won't tell), and he says he's had no trouble with it, so there are times that I wish I could pick & choose between American and Canadian gun legislation.

<font size=-3>* - This statement contains so much sarcasm that it comes in italics.</font>

Dark Lord Rivin
Jun 22nd, 2004, 01:28:50 PM
Originally posted by ReaperFett

Yes we did producse her, but we were smart and sent her down to the US. :D

Marijuana is legal only if you have a doctors note saying that you require it for medical reasons. It is Illegal to grow the stuff or in your home or sell it out of any location that is not a pharmacy.

It is legal to download the music, but it is not legal to post music files on to a website without permision from the artist.

Navaria Tarkin
Jun 22nd, 2004, 02:06:36 PM
:|

:: reminds herself to not use the spam tag next time ::

The Professor
Jun 22nd, 2004, 03:37:46 PM
I happen to collect Tomb Raider comics, first one cost me $20.

Kieran Devaneaux
Jun 22nd, 2004, 03:57:16 PM
So KaZaA is legal, but hosting it on your webspace isn't? Hmm...not that I host music on webspace anyway. That does it, I'm moving to Canada when I get a chance. :D

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Jun 22nd, 2004, 04:26:15 PM
Nav - is it ok if I make the link to your comic site to put on mine?

Navaria Tarkin
Jun 22nd, 2004, 10:24:52 PM
yes please s'il ^_^

Charley
Jun 22nd, 2004, 10:32:20 PM
I'll be buying those within the next month.

Navaria Tarkin
Jun 23rd, 2004, 10:18:44 AM
.... hopefully you'll like them :(

well at least mine :D

Smidget
Jun 23rd, 2004, 05:52:09 PM
So I had a terrible, grey-hair giving experience today with my daughter. I get home (thankfully and I swear I could have kissed the ground). My honey tells me "Oh yeah, I ordered one of Navaria's comics today." I was like "Yayayayyayaya!". Yesh, it made my day. Now I must get some hair color to hide the new grey hairs :p

Jedi Master Leia Solo
Jun 24th, 2004, 06:12:55 AM
Originally posted by Navaria Tarkin
I bump this to the top because Nocturnal Essence came in finally!!

:: does the happy dance ::

*does the happy dance with Dani* :crack

Now..I have something to look forward to coming in the mail instead of credit card bills. :p

This is awesome Dani...I can't wait til I get the copy I ordered! :D

~ Lori

(see I can post my real name too ;))

Navaria Tarkin
Jun 24th, 2004, 10:08:20 PM
:) thanks guys... I hope 2 can come out cuz monies are soooooooo tight right now :cry

I'm gonna try and make it happen tho...

:: stomps foot down ::

Alex
Jun 26th, 2004, 04:27:05 AM
Just got the 2 comics in the mail this morning. Yours is waaaay cooler. That Vishan dude just kicks butt...

If you ain't ordered a copy yet...why?! I have to admit, I've never really been a comic fan. I now own 3 comics total, two of which are the Powerful Press ones. But I think I'm converted. Dani's one is kule, with a capitol K-U-L-E!! :D

When's the next one comin' out? Can't wait. :)

Navaria Tarkin
Jun 26th, 2004, 04:50:20 PM
are you sure you live in England because DAMN... that package arrived pretty fast...

maybe the atlantic shrunk :|

Glad you liked my comic tho!!! :crack I am hoping... :: crosses fingers :: that I can get the money for an august issue. I hope :(

Alex
Jun 27th, 2004, 05:57:21 AM
Yeah...I was pretty amazed at how fast it came.

You HAVE to do more issues...Vishan is about the only character I could manage to pull off a costume of for a fancy dress party...:p

I'll see if I can find ya some more English customers. :)

Oh, right at the end, was the dude who got stabbed Lancelot or something? I wasn't sure.

Navaria Tarkin
Jun 27th, 2004, 02:37:43 PM
Oh, right at the end, was the dude who got stabbed Lancelot or something? I wasn't sure.

:D it was suppose to be vague. I like letting the reader come to the correct conclusions :p

Alex
Jun 27th, 2004, 10:20:42 PM
Aah, it all makes sense now...

...well, no it doesn't. But I'll pretend it does. ;)

Navaria Tarkin
Jun 28th, 2004, 06:04:24 PM
:(

Alex
Jun 29th, 2004, 12:15:39 PM
Awww...just joking! :hug :) I assumed it was him when I read it through...fitted with all of the historical stuff you mentioned.

Navaria Tarkin
Jun 30th, 2004, 03:23:56 PM
mean :p