PDA

View Full Version : Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

Jedi Master Carr
May 23rd, 2004, 11:15:29 AM
With the movie set to debut in like 10 days I figure I start a thread on it. I think this one will be the best of the Potter films, and hopefully the biggest one box office wise. Here is a Newsweek review which really makes me wish it comes out next weekend

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5040564/

Droo
May 23rd, 2004, 11:53:52 AM
Read the review this morning, everything stated in that article confirms all of my hopes for this film regarding improvements since the Chamber of Secrets. I'm betting this is going to be my favourite film of 2004 because it's one of those films which I know I am going to love before going to see it. A week tomorrow and I'll have my glowing review up gushing about Mister Cuarón's Potter perfection.

Jedi Master Carr
May 23rd, 2004, 12:04:38 PM
You know you are lucky you guys in England are going to see it like 4 days before us :p You have to tell us how good it is though :) I know I think the same thing I bet this will be my favorite film of the year.

Master Yoghurt
May 23rd, 2004, 12:11:59 PM
I think, in order for this to have a chance at 100, it needs to open in similar amount of theaters as Shrek 2 did. Thats 4100 theaters. And even then, its no walkover. I think Shrek 2 has a wider audience appeal.

Jedi Master Carr
May 23rd, 2004, 12:21:40 PM
I think HP has a bigger fan base. I think WB will want this on 4000 theaters, it is a shorter movie, which I think will help it over all. And I think it is more adult and appeals to a more wider audience than the first two (Kids, teens, adults) I think it will make more WW regardless, this looks like the #1 movie WW, IMO.

Master Yoghurt
May 23rd, 2004, 12:30:17 PM
Well, I agree with you that this looks better and more universal than the previous 2 movies. It depends if it can attract people who did not read the books. For example me, who never read the books and was a tad disappointed in the 2 last times wondering what the fuzz is all about. Will I see it opening weekend.. or rather will I see it on the big screen at all? I have not decided yet.

I think what it boils down to, it needs to be a better movie, good enough to attract people outside the "book reading" fanbase.

Master Yoghurt
May 23rd, 2004, 12:49:30 PM
This is the sort of article which makes me contemplate if maybe I should go see it :)

http://www.filmhobbit.com/cgi-bin/movies/movies.cgi?action=showreview&review=hp3prev

And the trailer does make it look better, IMO:
http://www.apple.com/trailers/wb/harry_potter-azkaban/

darth_mcbain
May 23rd, 2004, 01:02:48 PM
I am so psyched to see this one. Everything I've heard about it is really good, and I loved the book... Bring it on...

Figrin D'an
May 23rd, 2004, 03:02:25 PM
Originally posted by Master Yoghurt
This is the sort of article which makes me contemplate if maybe I should go see it :)

http://www.filmhobbit.com/cgi-bin/movies/movies.cgi?action=showreview&review=hp3prev

Exactly.

I did enjoy the first two HP movies, but that is likely because I also have read the books. I saw the first film, read the first book, then proceeded to read the rest of the books. The first two films, while visually impressive and faithful to the penned story, are just what that article indicates: lacking in life and flair. They're the books in film form. Nothing more, nothing less. While that may work for the existing fanbase, something else is needed to really bring in more viewers from different demographics, like Yog has said. I'm hopeful that Cuaron will bring to the film adaptation that style that really wasn't present in The Sorcerer's Stone or The Chamber of Secrets. The fact that the The Prisoner of Azkaban is a much darker book than the first two will certainly help, IMO, but I hope we see a film that is more faithful to the spirit of the book than it is to the text itself.

In that respect, I can see this film having greater audience appeal, and be a bit disappointing to those who really loved the first two films and enjoyed seeing the books directly translated to the big screen. Cuaron supposedly cut away a lot of things that weren't relevent to the main story, so I can see some of the more zealous fans not being happy with the deletion of certain details.

Droo
May 23rd, 2004, 07:15:54 PM
Well, the NYC premier has been and gone, now all we have to do is sit back and wait for the reviews to come rolling in. According to the recent news update at mugglenet.com, Alfonso is onto a winner.

Droo
May 23rd, 2004, 07:41:07 PM
http://www.aintitcoolnews.com/display.cgi?id=17631

Harry has given his verdict on POA, I knew he'd be one of the first to have his review out in the open, he tends to gush about films after having just seen them so let's see what others think of it now.

Jedi Master Carr
May 23rd, 2004, 08:56:53 PM
I agree the problem with the first two was Chris, I can't direct, Columbus. The man is good with kids but he just isn't good at telling a story. Cuaron is a better director which I think will help this series. Also he has done a great job with the kids they didn't give great performances in the first two all they were just kids but according to the reviews they are amazing in this one, especially Radcliff he is becoming a very good actor from the way it sounds. And if you want to see the best trailer the international one is amazing

http://pdl.warnerbros.com/harrypotter/uk/med/trailer/hp3_uk_f3_qt_500.mov

or
http://pdl.warnerbros.com/harrypotter/uk/med/trailer/hp3_uk_f3_qt_300.mov
for those with weaker connections.

Dergan Venitor
May 23rd, 2004, 09:44:13 PM
Isn't Mike Newell directing the the fourth one?

I think we may see a different director for each film from here on out. that could be a good or a bad thing. We'll just have to see.

(This is Fig, btw.)

Rhea Kaylen
May 23rd, 2004, 10:02:21 PM
I am most interested to see how the Trio's acting may have improved. While Emma Watson has always been brilliant, and Daniel Radcliff mostly so, Rupert Grint was just slightly like cardboard in CoS, a real disappointment, as Ron should be a good supporting character and not just the whipping-boy comic relief. Hopefully an extra year of growing up will have been good for the kids, and I am psyched about Prisoner of Azkaban in its entirety. It's my favorite of all the books (coughsiriusandremuscough); can't wait to see it better-acted and on the big screen.

Jedi Master Carr
May 24th, 2004, 12:32:50 AM
Yep Newell is directing GOF. However Cuaron has expressed interest about coming back, if I was WB I pay him what he wants to do OOTP, his style fits that book.

imported_Eve
May 24th, 2004, 05:43:12 AM
I read somewhere yesterday that he may be back for OOTP.

While I've heard all the actors have improved, I always thought Grint was the best actor from the get go. POA may proved different.

Droo
May 24th, 2004, 07:06:24 AM
I echo Eve's comments about Grint, he has always been Ron Weasley for me; maybe it's just how he presents himself but whatever it is, he's nailed the character. Then Watson as Hermione and Radcliffe has always been the least of the three to impress me; given the content of the third installment and what he will have to work with, this could very well change.

EDIT: And after just checking out the-leaky-cauldron.org, I saw this article:

http://www.the-leaky-cauldron.org/MTarchives/004636.html

Frances de la Tour has been cast to play Madame Maxine, this I can see, her work with Ian McKellen on "The Dance of Death" gave me a great perception of her acting abilities. She can do the job.

And Brendan Gleeson has been cast as Mad-Eye Moody, I've seen him in Troy and Gangs of New York; he suits that scruffy, haggard look really well and I don't doubt his acting abilities. If anyone else could've had this role though, I would've chosen Geoffrey Rush but these are sound choices imo.

Lilaena De'Ville
May 24th, 2004, 10:11:21 AM
Originally posted by Rhea Kaylen
I am most interested to see how the Trio's acting may have improved. While Emma Watson has always been brilliant, and Daniel Radcliff mostly so, Rupert Grint was just slightly like cardboard in CoS, a real disappointment, as Ron should be a good supporting character and not just the whipping-boy comic relief. Hopefully an extra year of growing up will have been good for the kids, and I am psyched about Prisoner of Azkaban in its entirety. It's my favorite of all the books (coughsiriusandremuscough); can't wait to see it better-acted and on the big screen.

My comment on this, as someone who hasn't read the books:

It seems to me that you're seeing how the characters are - Hermoine is supposed to come across as brilliant, Harry is average, and Ron - well we all know how that Ron Weasley is. Rupert has done a good job of bringing the bumbling wide-eyed Ron to life, in my opinion at least.

This being said - of course there is always room for improvement, but you can say that about any actor/actress really.

Kyle Raiden
May 24th, 2004, 12:40:00 PM
Just because its not the same character as the books doesn't mean he's bad at acting the part. Not everyone interprets a story in the same way. You read through some Literaterature papers...there are hundreds of different ways of interpreting stories.

If you consider something like Of Mice and Men, you can interpret those characters in lots of different ways. For example, one interpretation of the story has George showing that he really cares for Lennie pretty strongly, sort of like a little brother that he looks after. Others will interpret it as if George is taking advantage of Lennie, to get him a job. Depending on the interpretation of the director, and of the actors, alters the way the part is played.

Another example...X-Men. Some people say that Rogue isn't enough of a rebel...she's supposed to be a rogue in nature, as well as in circumstance. Some would say that Wolverine cares too much. Others think that Cyclops shouldn't have been played in such an arrogant way. The way that Toad was put in the film was radically different from the comics...they gave him a degree of evilness and of being actually dangerous that he always lacked. And yet, it works as a film. Its just how one person decides to adapt a novel into film.

The same thing happens with jokes. Different people tell the same joke in all sorts of different ways. But the punch line is the same. What the joke is about is the same. So whether the main characters of the joke are Irish, blondes, female or goldfish, the core joke stays the same. Just because Ron seems a little bit too much like a goldfish to some people doesn't detract from the story. In some cases, it adds to it.

The idea of making Harry Potter into films was, basically, to extend the product. It widens the target audience...people who don't want to read the books, or just haven't got round to it, can get the same story shown to them considerably faster, and with less effort on their part. As long as the story gets told, and its entertaining, thats all that the film is for. Nothing more, nothing less.

In conclusion...when it comes out, go watch the film, and enjoy it. ;)

Jedi Master Carr
May 24th, 2004, 01:43:31 PM
I like Gleeson for Moody he fits, IMO. Only ten days, of course a 7 for you lucky souls in England.

imported_Eve
May 24th, 2004, 06:45:52 PM
That is exactly what I pictured Madame Maxine to look like (only of course, bigger/taller). Moody? I would have never thought that guy, only because I think I have only seen MI2 and AI, as his works go.

I would have never thought Emma Thompson for Trelawney either, but it seems to work. I love her; it is just that I pictured someone more exotic for that role... someone weirder.

Jedi Master Carr
May 24th, 2004, 10:38:34 PM
I am not sure if he meant that he seems to been talking more about that Ron and Hermoine are destined for each other that is what I remember him basically saying the TRL Host was trying to say that Harry and Hermoine should be going out but I don't think he knew much about Harry Potter

Rhea Kaylen
May 25th, 2004, 07:07:15 AM
Originally posted by Kyle Raiden
In conclusion...when it comes out, go watch the film, and enjoy it. ;)

Oh, trust me, there's no danger whatsoever that I won't go see the film. I can't wait for it! And you are right, there are any number of interpretations on any story. I just suppose the way Columbus and many other people saw Ron Weasley has always been a bit different from the way I saw him--more of an average, everyday guy who is still a strong and, in a way, dignified character, rather than the sidekick or the guy who is always good for a laugh. Neither way is better, and neither way is necessarily right. It's all just a matter of how you see the books.

But don't worry. I'll be at my local theater opening day.

Jedi Master Carr
May 26th, 2004, 04:22:46 PM
CMJ would like this reveiw :)

I am not a Harry Potter fan.

I haven't read the books. I couldn't stand the first movie. I didn't much like the second one.

So why am I so taken with Harry Potter & The Prisoner of Azkaban? There is one central reason… Alfonso Cuaron. He makes this episode of the ongoing series into an actual movie, not just another children's toy in shiny cellophane.

The differences between Cuaron's Potter and Chris Columbus' are endless, both large and small. But the key thematic difference is that Cuaron treats his primarily young audience with the respect that viewers who will watch a movie over and over and over again deserve. What is said is said once, not repeated until the filmmaker is sure that the least perceptive viewer got the message.

But it's not just dialogue. The most striking thing about the effects work in this film is that it has an assurance that few directors are willing to risk in an effects film. There is a flying animal sequence with Harry that for the first time in a long time does not include what I now think of as the "Neverending Story Insert," where you go to that close-up of the young actor being thrilled by the experience of flight, usually while sitting on a rug that matches the color of the effects-created creature. Instead, we get an absolutely beautiful series of long shots that are perfectly cinematic. Eventually, when appropriate, we get the Harry single (only one, as I recall), but only after a really wondrous CG close up of a large talon skipping along some water.

And Hogwarts itself has gone through a remarkable transformation. For the first time, it feels like a boarding school and not just like a series of remarkable sets, one after another. Cuaron's Hogwarts has dirt… it has hillsides that students use as apparent shortcuts… it has more realistic encounters between students. But best of all, it has context for the first time. Michael Gambon, who has no trouble handling the bittersweet task of filling Richard Harris' robes, is no longer just a wise old man who runs a school. He is a hippie with a kofi, newly purple robes and little rubber bands in his beard, running a commune for other freaks like himself. He is joined in this reflectivity by Emma Thompson's Professor Trelawney, a master of fortune telling whose classroom décor may well come out of her VW van each semester.

The now veteran team of Robbie Coltrane, Maggie Smith and Alan Rickman are there, with Coltrane's Hagrid expanding his role. (I have this TV historical notion that Hagrid is really Potter's father, as he had an affair with Geraldine Somerville, who plays Harry's mom, a decade ago on one of the great all-time drama series, Cracker.) But the additions, beyond Thompson, include more of the U.K.'s very best, with David Thewlis, Timothy Spall, Dawn French and the ever-gorgeous Julie Christie.

But it is Gary Oldman who makes the greatest impression, in two different ways. First, he manages to steal a couple of scenes before he even gets in a word of dialogue. And then, when he starts to speak, he is almost unrecognizable. For whatever reasons, he decided not to rely on any of the magical tricks that we all know as Oldman's and instead voices his Sirius Black without being showy, but without any Oldman landmarks. Not many people will appreciate how much Oldman becomes an actor in this role (he's always brilliant, no matter the role) and not a movie star. I'm sure that it was Oldman's idea for the character, but again, the choice is part of Cuaron's signature on this film.

The story of the film is fairly simple and though I was never bored, I was aware that there was a bit of sagging in the middle of the movie. But there were so many small delights hidden in plain sight by Cuaron that I was always with the film. Every time you think that you are about to get some of the same old same old, the werewolf turns out not to be right out of An American Werewolf in London or Harry is acting more like a petulant teen than expected or the ever present clock parts look like an amazing piece of art instead of a set.

John Williams' score is jazzy and bouncy most of the way through. Cinematographer Michael Seresin, who works here for just his third director in 25 years (the two directors he has worked with repeatedly are Alan Parker and Harold Becker). The work here is beautiful. He and Cuaron use the entire palate of visual tricks, from desaturation to extreme blacks to intense rains to some of the most beautiful CG landscapes imaginable, which unlike so many CG movies, never read false.

I don't want to give any scene away, but one early scene ends with Harry Potter walking down the street and there were some laughs circulating around the audience and my nephew says to me, "What are you laughing at?" And I pointed to the corner of the frame to a "topper" to a joke from a few minutes earlier. It was clear and it was funny, but few directors would have been brave enough to just let it play and not point it out to the audience.

Not only is this the best Harry Potter movie, it is the first Harry Potter movie that actually qualifies as cinema. I'll be going to see it again before it opens… not because the kids will drag me, but because I want to.

That sounds very cool, it is interesting how the mainstay critics are all giving it rave reviews so far.

darth_mcbain
May 26th, 2004, 04:48:17 PM
Wow - good review... I am getting more and more excited to see this!!!

Jedi Master Carr
May 26th, 2004, 04:52:22 PM
Yeah and the reviewer David Poland is a tough critic he even admits he didn't like the first two movies so him saying he loved this one is amazing, I think for us Potter fans it will be even better :)

CMJ
May 26th, 2004, 08:21:00 PM
Yeah I read that review a day or two ago. Poland is more of a journalist than a critic(I recommend both of his columns BTW) but he does post reviews from time to time.

He absolutely trashed TDAT today.

Jedi Master Carr
May 26th, 2004, 09:00:21 PM
Heh I just read that, I kind of liked his review of POA, I think I liked it because he didn't like the first two which to me is a good sign. I actually liked the first two movies but felt they could have been better. This one looks like the real deal :) I am actually happy that they gave it to Cuaron the man is a brilliant director and I know people made jokes after he got the job but he is just a perfect choice.

Lilaena De'Ville
May 27th, 2004, 03:42:53 PM
lol when you said POA I thought you were talking about Planet of the Apes. >_<

The review read well, and I haven't been disappointed by a HP movie yet. Of course, like I said, haven't read the books. As movies I find them to stand quite well.

Jedi Master Carr
May 27th, 2004, 09:36:48 PM
Heh I have gotten used to using abreviations with the movies and the books now much like Star Wars. IMO, the books are better but I don't think you have to read the books to enjoy the movies and they stand very well on their own, so I agree with you there. The series gets darker starting with this one, which is a good thing, IMO.

Loki Ahmrah
May 28th, 2004, 05:51:38 AM
There really is no comparison, at least between the books and films thus far, Azkaban may change that but despite it's critical acclaim, I doubt it. There's far more of what we love from the world of Harry Potter as seen in the films; there's much more comedy, backstory and subplots which help immerse you deeper into Rowling's imagination. Interestingly, I think Colombus' interpretation of Hogwarts and the wizarding world was fairly accurate, colourful and magical whereas Cauron's film turns that world into something much more gritty and dark; how different from Rowling's vision is yet to be seen however I'm wondering if some of that colourful, vivid magic will be lost in order to make the franchise more appealing to a wider audience. Surely through this the plot will be more gripping and what works in a book sometimes will not work on screen but give me three days and I'll find out for myself.

Jedi Master Carr
May 28th, 2004, 07:11:44 AM
Well, I don't completly disagree, what I do though is keep the two seperate because Books are always more detailed than movies so you have the view the two just different other wise you won't enjoy it as well.

Droo
May 28th, 2004, 07:21:21 AM
That's pretty much what I was saying; film and literature are two completely different mediums and the story has to be presented differently in order to accomodate for the needs of a cinema-going audience. What I am hoping to compare are the differences between Colombus' films and Cuaron's film with regards to who captured the magic more appropriately.

Those purists who bicker about a film because it's not a page-for-page translation of their beloved texts, although they may be fans of the source material, can't be the type to truly understand or appreciate the art of film-making.

Jedi Master Carr
May 28th, 2004, 07:25:46 AM
Heh I think I misunderstood you. But anyway yeah I think this one will be better than the Columbus versions. To me Columbus didn't get everything he could out of the kids for the first two movies. It was mostly the acting that seemed the problem and I think that is Columbus fault he doesn't have a good repetition when it comes to get the best out of actors. There has also been complaints that Columbus left too much in, although I think you had to do that to some degree with the first one because its a introduction.

Jedi Master Carr
May 28th, 2004, 01:00:19 PM
For those HP we have another reason to really want to see the movie

In an interview with USA Today, Harry Potter author J.K. Rowling confirms new clues to books 6 & 7 are in the Prisoner of Azkaban film.

Harry Potter author J.K. Rowling says that Alfonso Cuaron, who directed The Prisoner of Azkaban, which opens next Friday, inadvertently foreshadowed events that will happen in books six and seven, which she has yet to complete.

"I really got goose bumps when I saw a couple of those things, and I thought, people are going to look back on the film and think that those were put in deliberately as clues," Rowling says in an interview released by Warner Bros., which is distributing the movie.

I am betting one of those clues are hints about Ron and Hermoine's future together other that I am not sure what else there could be. I read that Lupin talks about Lilly (Harry's mom) so there could be something there

Jedi Master Carr
May 28th, 2004, 10:29:12 PM
Peter Travers gave it 3.5 stars here
http://www.rollingstone.com/reviews/movie?id=6071754

And he hated the first two movies I have to say I think this one is going to be amazing now :)

Madmartigan
May 29th, 2004, 01:34:11 PM
wouldn't you know i bought 9am tickets for the movie and I have to work at 9:30 and i don't think I can exchange them because it was for a special screening.

So now I am going to go into today and get 4:30 tickets hopefully, frustrating.

Jedi Master Carr
May 29th, 2004, 02:22:15 PM
That sucks although it helps the box office for the film heh.

Madmartigan
May 30th, 2004, 01:14:15 AM
Well I may be buying a third ticket to see it just once. I went and got a ticket for a 3:30 matinee on friday this afternoon but the problem is i don't get off tell 4pm. Now normally those morning shifts are so slow that they let ya got at like 3pm which i am banking on but if not i am going to have to catch a 6:10 showing, they had no 4:30's which made me mad. I am guessing because of the length of the film as there 7's start at 6.

Droo
May 31st, 2004, 10:18:19 AM
So at 12pm today, I sat myself in the dead centre of the theatre and watched Harry Potter and Prisoner of Azkaban. My review could be summed up by saying this: Take every positive aspect of every review of this film and multiply it by a factor of ten and you'd be getting an idea of how much I loved this film. It is the perfect adaption of the source material because much like in the same way Jackson changed certain things about his Rings trilogy, Cuaron has done the same but like Jackson has remained to true to the spirit of the book thus creating a film perfect for fans of film or fans of the novels.

The style is immediately different; the look is gritty and very real; the Dursley's are very different in the very limited amount of time they are on screen and we can see that they are afraid of Harry. POA is a much darker story and this film needed to be much different from the previous children's whimsical fairytale movies we're used to seeing from Columbus.

The characters in this film, while true to their roots both in previous performances from films one and two and as presented in the novels, are very real. We see Harry, Snape, Mr. Weasley, etc. etc. as they would be not in the fictional fantastical wizarding world but how they would be in real life. Thus each character is give n much more depth and the actors, all of them, do an excellent job. Watson's performance isn't anything spectacular here, just the usual Hermione we love but Grint improves on Ron with his spot on comical timing. Radcliffe is a different story entirely, in this film he is a different actor; he has grown in skill so much and has infused Harry with far more depth than we've ever seen in him during the last two films.

The plot is excellent, I loved it in the book and as presented on the big screen it's excellent and perhaps it has something to with the way Cuaron has been directing but POA races along and actualy, i could imagine for someone who has not read the books to occassionally get a little lost here and there, but the paces contributes perfectly to the awesome finale. As events unfolded I found myself as awed as I was when reading the book and it was like discovering it all over again and falling in love with it all over.

I was about to insert a favourite bits section here but I couldn't because I think I'd end up listing every single moment as a favourite. The film is so rich with detail in every scene that you couldn't possibly not enjoy it.

Bottom line is this: Fans of the novels and first two films will love it and I can't imagine anyone claiming that either of the first two films are superior in anyway; Prisoner of Azkaban is the real deal and I would urge any fan of film to go see it because it's so refreshing and enjoyable in every way. And I'm going to abide by my own advice and go see it again this evening.

10/10

Jedi Master Carr
May 31st, 2004, 11:31:09 AM
Cool I can't wait to see it Friday, just four more days here and I will be seeing it.

Jedi Master Carr
May 31st, 2004, 05:18:24 PM
This is a good review here

Harry Potter is growing up, and so is his movie franchise.

Under the tutelage of a new director -- Alfonso Cuarón, known for both children's fare (the 1995 remake of "A Little Princess") and an edgy, insightfully soulful, sex-charged teen road-trip flick ("Y Tu Mama, Tambien") -- the boy wizard has graduated from the world of kiddie movie spectacles with tie-in toys.

"Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban" is a film in which depth of character, cunning humor and hair-raising chills come shining through the visual blitzkrieg of special effects -- which are also magnificently improved over the series first two installments. Case in point: a half-horse, half-eagle creature called a Hippogriff that gives "Lord of the Rings'" Gollum a run for his money as the most life-like CGI creation in cinema history.

Beyond just its detailed feathers (which fluff when it shakes) or its golden eyes (which bore holes in the screen with obstinate personality), this winged equine's every movement, from its canter to its peck, are a studied yet natural, amazingly fluid amalgam of the two beasts that were combined to create it.

More nebulous but no less realistic are the terrifying Dementors -- towering, faceless, floating Grim-Reaper-like ghosts whose tattered, wind-blown robes give the appearance of hellish jellyfish. They play an integral part in the plot, hunting for a dark wizard named Sirius Black (Gary Oldman), the only inmate ever to escape the legendary lock-up that gives the film its title.

Black's breakout threatens not only Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, but Harry Potter in particular. He soon learns this villain was once a friend of his murdered parents and is thought to be the Judas responsible for leading them to their deaths at the hands of the as-yet-unseen, uber-warlock Lord Voldemort.

Having finally pent up enough fury and pubescent petulance to stand up to his horrible muggle aunt and uncle, the film begins with Harry (Daniel Radcliffe) illegally using magic to wreak a little havoc on their restrictive household before packing off trans-dimensionally for another year at Hogwarts.

Older, bolder and more pro-active, in this movie Harry becomes a real hero under whose chest beats the strong, if seething and bewildered, heart of a lion. When he discovers Black's history Harry declares, "I hope he finds me! Because when he does, I'm gonna be ready. When he does, I'm gonna kill him!"

Thanks to the growing talent of Radcliffe, who has become more natural and engaging with each "Potter" picture, this moment is riveting to a character-defining degree. There's no doubt he means it, even if we and he both know deep down the boy is ill-prepared for such a showdown -- and there's no doubt we're seeing a Harry Potter who is leaving preadolescence behind.

Harry's best friends, cheeky over-achiever Hermione and misfit redhead Ron, and the young actors who play them, Emma Watson and Rubert Grint, have grown as well, which helps Cuarón and screenwriter Steve Cloves to dispense with exposition and get down to real character development.

This is especially true of scenes in which Harry bonds with the school's latest Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher, Professor Lupin (the sublimely elusive David Thewlis), who was a dear friend of the young wizard's parents and who teaches Harry protective incantations to use against the indiscriminately dangerous, fear-feeding Dementors. But Lupin may not be what he seems.

While holding fast to the spirit of the "Harry Potter" books and films -- complete with the deliciously astute scenery-chewing of Alan Rickman as ominous Professor Snape and the usual grand performances from Maggie Smith (persnickety Professor McGonagall) and Robbie Coltrane (mountainous, soft-hearted handyman Hagrid) -- in Cuarón's hands an artful evolution takes place that transcends the franchise's popular appeal. This film is intelligent and incisive, especially in its execution of author J.K. Rowling's trademark plot twists. It has an shadowy, otherworldly style that doesn't feel market-tested and pre-packaged for the lowest common denominator.

And yet, it's the most accessibly engaging and amusing of the three "Potter" films so far, beginning with its very first chapter, in which Harry boards a magic, invisible-to-muggles triple-decker bus after leaving home which takes him on a wild amusement-park-like ride careening through the streets of London.

Nearly every scene in Hogwarts is packed with background humor (often thanks to the school's living paintings), and the movie is blessed with an ingenious, scene-stealing turn from Emma Thompson ("Sense and Sensibility") as Divination Professor Trelawney, a tactless, off-kilter, hocus-pocus hippie who teaches crystal-ball and tea-leaf reading. (Stepping in for the late Richard Harris, Michael Gambon is also delightful as a familiar, yet delightfully different, headmaster Dumbledore.)

The handful of problems "Azkaban" has are actually inherent to the story -- a few plot developments inspire "why don't they just...?" questions, the beginning of the third act gets briefly lost in a lull of its own convolutions, and school bully Draco Malfoy (Tom Felton) now seems like too much of a scaredy-cat to rouse any respect from his cronies or fear from anyone else.

But Cuarón's command of the story is so strong that he barely blinks as he steers a course through these minor obstacles, which are no worse than the ones that sometimes tripped up the series' first two installments, directed with charm but considerably less savoir-faire by "Home Alone's" Chris Columbus.

This is far and away the best "Harry Potter" movie yet. But one word of warning to parents of small children: It's also the scariest.

I can't wait to see Buckbeak in the film, the sneak peaks I have seen make him look amazing :) I think POA could win the SFX award at the Oscars because of Buckbeak alone. Also Dru, what are you opinions on the adults? Particularly Oldman, Thewlis, and Thompson, might want to cover them up for non book readers though.

darth_mcbain
May 31st, 2004, 06:04:59 PM
Wow - great reviews... Chances are I won't get to see this opening day, but I am really excited to see this.

Droo
May 31st, 2004, 06:46:28 PM
Originally posted by Jedi Master Carr
Also Dru, what are you opinions on the adults? Particularly Oldman, Thewlis, and Thompson, might want to cover them up for non book readers though.

It's funny you should say that because I re-read my review and realised I hadn't mentioned them which really is a crime in itself and I'll tell you why.

The three newcomers, character-wise at least, Thewlis, Oldman and Thompson give performances which are sublime and each for different reasons.

I'll start with Thewlis since he has the most screen time and influence of the three. He presents the character to perfection from the very beginning, he is the enigmatic professor found sleeping in the train cabin and the boggart session clearly shows how delightful his lessons are for the children in which he is responsible and fun. The relationship developed between he and Harry is one of my many favourite things in this film since it is so delicate and introspective. Although he isn't what I imagined Lupin to look like his performance makes up for it in every way.

Oldman has very limited screen time but believe me, the wanted poster says is all, the moment the trio walk into the bedroom in the Shrieking Shack you see him and hear him and it's written in his face and on his voice, Azkaban has taken it's toll. He probably had one of the most difficult tasks of turning a character whom we assume is the real villain of the story into someone with whom we not only sympathise but for whom we have respect and care about. Oldman accomplishes this with what I would say seems like no difficulty whatsoever but what else can be said; it's Gary Oldman.

Emma Thompson gave me my favourite performance of the film and I only wish that there had been a couple more Divination lessons thrown in there because I think I relished the character as much as she clearly did when performing. Every mannerism and nuance are to melodramatic perfection. All of her scenes, except one which is quite chilling; her prophesy is perfect, I think it was word for word from the book and the voice is nailed; are hilarious and I cannot wait to see her in the next film(s).

And finally, I have to mention Michael Gambon as Professor Dumbledore; his is a slighty different performance to that of the late Richard Harris but I must admit that his successor has given us a performance which is more true to the Dumbledore we know from the books. My only beef with Gambon here was at times his accent made him soundlike a Yorkshire farmer; apart from that he's fit wonderfully into the old headmasters shoes.

Another comment to make here that I didn't touch on early, the comedy, this film has a humour which is superior and far more eloquent than in the first two films. By saying that, what I mean is that it's more suitable for adults while not detracting from the children's comedy value and in doing so, I would say, is closer to Rowling's razor sharp wit.

Jedi Master Carr
May 31st, 2004, 09:38:46 PM
Thanks I have read reviews which said that about the adults. Also about the humor I hear Grint is very funny in this one from ever review I read, man I can't wait to see this only 3.5 days for me now.

Dasquian Belargic
Jun 1st, 2004, 11:10:16 AM
Saw it. Loved it. Everything seems more realistic, yet at the same time more playful. Wonderful :D

Alex
Jun 1st, 2004, 12:05:49 PM
I wanna go see...:cry

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 1st, 2004, 03:53:40 PM
Already looking big

Five days prior to its U.S. premiere Harry Potter & the Prisoner of Azkaban smashed opening day records in the United Kingdom. The newest installment of the seven-part Harry Potter series was released on May 31 (Monday) to capitalize of the local holiday, which incidentally is also the first day of school half-term holidays. Azkaban grossed a colossal $9.2m (£5.03m) from 535 locations in its opening day, which was the biggest opening day and single day of all time. The Prisoner of Azkaban was the first film ever to gross over £5m on a single day in the U.K. Its predecessor's had nowhere near that amount of money on their official opening days. The Sorcerer's (Philosopher's) Stone opened on November 16, 2001 and grossed $3.9m (£2.1m) from 505 screens while The Chamber of Secrets grossed $3.99m (£2.18m) from 522 sites on its first day on November 15, 2002. The Chamber of Secrets went on to record the then highest single day gross with its Saturday (November 16,2002) take of $7.9m (£4.3m). Harry Potter & the Prisoner of Azkaban opens in 50+ territories on Wednesday-Saturday, excluding several Scandinavian territories and Japan most notably.

Wow that is a lot for England that blows away ROTK's day number this should set the Box office record in England now, IMO. Not sure what to expect over here yet.

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 1st, 2004, 09:29:13 PM
Shrek's opening records look to be very short lived.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 1st, 2004, 10:12:32 PM
I hope that is the case :)

Rhea Kaylen
Jun 1st, 2004, 11:24:54 PM
The reviews so far stand thusly.

PoA: perfect 10

Shrek: big fat 0

Which is the way it should be. Only three more days! *Yay!*

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 2nd, 2004, 03:17:31 PM
RT has got HP at 87% out of 29 reviews, looking great so far. Is it Friday yet :)

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 3rd, 2004, 08:58:11 AM
Roger Eberts Review is up

http://www.suntimes.com/output/ebert1/cst-ftr-potter03f.html

Now he liked the movie gave it 3.5 stars but he liked the first two better, of course maybe its because the first two are lighter films I don't know. Also he was the only critic I saw that gave them 4 stars which shocked me. Both years he thought they were better than the LOTR movies so who knows.

Droo
Jun 3rd, 2004, 10:55:06 AM
Both years he thought they were better than the LOTR movies so who knows.

Well that's his opinion out of the window.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 3rd, 2004, 11:13:00 AM
LOL I know I still can't figure out how he gave FOTR only 3 stars, I think he gave ROTK 4 so his opinion did change but it took him a long time there.

ReaperFett
Jun 3rd, 2004, 01:48:51 PM
I've got bitter and now refuse to watch it, because I planned on going to the cinema tommorow to either re-see Troy or see The Day After Tommorow, and neither are on ONCE because Harry Potter is on from 9:45 to gone midnight. There are 10 bleeding screens! Nick angry, Nick smash :mad

Dan the Man
Jun 3rd, 2004, 02:01:33 PM
Originally posted by ReaperFett
I've got bitter and now refuse to watch it, because I planned on going to the cinema tommorow to either re-see Troy or see The Day After Tommorow, and neither are on ONCE because Harry Potter is on from 9:45 to gone midnight. There are 10 bleeding screens! Nick angry, Nick smash :mad

I'm with you, bitter brother.

The first one wasted my money so utterly, that I have yet to see the second until I can be assured of spending zero money on the franchise. Let us brood together :mad

Droo
Jun 3rd, 2004, 05:32:02 PM
Originally posted by ReaperFett

Aren't there any Odeon theatres in your area? Surely for your local to not be showing DAT or Troy because of the Potter films must mean that it is only a small independent cinema.

ReaperFett
Jun 3rd, 2004, 05:40:12 PM
Nope, it's an Odeon :)

Ryan Pode
Jun 3rd, 2004, 07:42:26 PM
Well, I have a 1 PM Ticket to go see Harry Potter 3 so I shall tell you how it is...

Droo
Jun 3rd, 2004, 07:56:09 PM
I've already told everyone, you fools! :mad

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 3rd, 2004, 08:34:42 PM
Heh I believe you, weird about that Reaper, I guess it does show how big Potter mania is but still every screen.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 3rd, 2004, 08:48:11 PM
RT has been updated 88% 61-8, with 90% cream of the crop. Man this and Shrek 2 have been the darlings of the critics so far this summer.

ReaperFett
Jun 3rd, 2004, 09:11:42 PM
Heh I believe you, weird about that Reaper, I guess it does show how big Potter mania is but still every screen.
The problem is, it FORCES it. Anyone who wants to go to the cinema and can only access that one place has ONE choice.

Sanis Prent
Jun 3rd, 2004, 09:45:53 PM
Tell me about it. All these crazy blockbusters hustled Kill Bill out of my local theaters way too fast :mad

Madmartigan
Jun 3rd, 2004, 10:33:53 PM
YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Someone just called me and wanted to switch shifts so now instead of working a morning shift and probably being out 2 showtimes to the movie, I work a night shift so I can see the movie at my original 9am showtime.

Also my baby sister is coming down this weekend so I am going to take her to a Sunday show (shes going to see Saturday night with my older sister too).

She was mad I had to work saturday, she said we were supposed to see all the movies together. I made her a promise if she read the books, I would take her to all the movies.

imported_Eve
Jun 4th, 2004, 06:52:36 AM
I'm going to a 10:45 show today. Joy.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 4th, 2004, 07:33:22 AM
I am going to a 1:10 show I have already got tickets. I expect the theater to be crowded with kids, since school is out around here. Its also at 89% at RT this movie is getting some great reviews. Salon has called it one of the greatest fantasy movies of all time, now that is saying something.

Ryan Pode
Jun 4th, 2004, 07:57:41 AM
Right now, TDAT, Harry Potter and Shrek 2 take up about 52 of 87 movies shown throughout the day. Strangely enough Man on Fire still has like 5 showings. While Troy is down to 4.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 4th, 2004, 07:59:30 AM
yeah those three are the dominant films here now. At the biggest theater in my area. Harry is on 6, Shrek 2 on 4, DAT on 3, and the rest pretty much on 1 a piece.

darth_mcbain
Jun 4th, 2004, 08:55:05 AM
I have to wait to see POA :( ... We've got some family in town and it doesn't look like going to the movies is on the agenda... Gee - where are your priorities, people... :)

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 4th, 2004, 02:51:47 PM
Take them with you :) I just came back from it, I loved it best Harry Potter film yet, and its my favorite movie of the year. Okay Spoiler here Favorite scenes, Not in any order, The Time Turner, I loved them going back in time that was a neat effect and I loved the whole sequence. The Shrieking Shack I know people complained about it being too short but it was perfect for me. They left out the Snape subplot with the grudge but I can live with that.
The Ron and Hermione hints, I loved them all, like Hermione saying at the Shack. "You want to move closer."
Ron "What??"
Hermione: "No I mean to the Shack."
I loved the scene with Ron hurt and him telling Hermione they will have to chop off his leg that was great, trying to get sympathy from her :p Also everytime when Hermione would show up out of nowhere I loved his reactions, "Did you see her come in?"
Buckbeak, he was amazing if POA doesn't win best visual effects because of him I will be shocked. He was amazing he looked so real and the flying sequences were incredible.
Speaking of effect: The Dementors they were horrible and great, I loved how they flew that made them even more awesome they were terrific in the film, scary and dark.
Also the acting: Wow first the adults, I loved Thewlis as Lupin, he did an incredible job he gave a lot of emotion into the role and was very likeable.
Oldman, this was completly different for him, he went from rent a bad guy to a very good person here, he was somebody who Harry had as family now. I also found his scenes with Harry, towards the end said sad considering what happens in Order of the Phoenix :(
Thompson was very funny had a great scene stealing part, I loved when she made the prediction, I wish she had said Voldemort to make it more clear to the audience who she meant but I can live with that.
Gambon was great as Dumbledore funnier than Harris and actually fit book Dumbledore better.
Rickman, was of course terrific as Snape
The Kids they got a lot better in this one, all three of them. Grint was funnier he went away from those silly faces and stook to the funny lines he made in the book, I love his dry humor. Watson was great as Hermione she is getting a better and better actress, and to Radcliffe did the best job he captured Harry better to me than he had in the previous films and I hope he and Grint, and Watson continue through all 7 books they just are Harry, Ron and Hermione to me. That is all I can think of right now, I will have to see it again to gather in more :)

imported_Eve
Jun 4th, 2004, 03:41:09 PM
I LOVED IT. So different. I felt like the movie was a haunted song, that was accented with art. Does that make sense?

As a peice of art goes, fabulous! As a movie goes, fabulous. The soundtrack also almost sounded like and entirely different score, while still keeping the theme at times; it was more moving.

The movie just left alot out. I understand a movie can only be so long, but the entire movie was really the last third of the book. I feel like some parts should have been explained to the audience who have not read the books. For instance:

Mooney, Wormtail, Padfoot, and Prongs - the audience doesn't know what that means, and where the map came from. I feel like that is vital to the plot, and maybe to the next chapters/movies. Especially since Prongs is Harry's father, and that would explain why his Patronus is a deer... with prongs. My sister, who didn't read the books went with me, and that puzzled her when she saw it. Then there is the whole reason they're animagi in the first place, and why they became animagi (for Lupin). I know Book 4 talks about this relationship too, and maybe I am getting my books messed up, but I doubt they'll explain that in Movie 4 either with everything else that happens. The movie doesn't quite tie how Snape knew Wormtail/Peter Petigrew, Sirius, and Lupin either.

At the end, when Harry and Hermoine go back in time, they don't create the urgency for why they must return to the same moment, like they do in the book. I knew why things were happening, but my sister didn't.

So, without typing more (because I could go on), I think this is a movie for those who have read the books, because it leaves questions for those who have not read the book. Perhaps it will inspire them to read?

For me, seeing my favorite series put to screen is always great. But the movie teased me with just a bit of the book. I wished it was longer and had more parts in it. Perhaps the DVD will have deleted scenes? I can only hope.

The acting was better, and the actors really seemed like true, teenage (rowdy and having a good time) friends. Columbus was more strict to the books, while Cuaron had a lot more material to deal with. Cuaron's vision was more accurate to how I interprited Rowling's world to be. The acting this time had the wit and sense that Rowling gives you in the books.

It was just excellent anyway.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 4th, 2004, 03:52:42 PM
Well
I think they left a lot of clues that Lupin knew about the map he knew how to work and Sirus said the map never lies, so I think they decided to make it more implied that come out and say it. Personally I think most people who never read the books wouldn't have a problem with that. The Mauraders sub plot I think will never that vital to the whole story, in that I mean anything that comes out of that is going to be the end of Voldemort. I think they just need to stress that James, Pettigrew, Sirus and Lupin were all friends and that is it. The rest isn't important. The only thing I am not sure about is Snape's Grudge of course they could just keep showing him hatting Harry and they did show animonisty that he had for his father and for Sirus and Lupin so maybe that is all they need to show. Also about the need to get back during the Time Turner to me they stressed that Dumbledore told them it be grievious if they didn't return when the final stroke hit, which they did. Of course it didn't seem to matter as Snape and Fudge didn't come running in screaming he had escaped so actually there was no rush :p Personally those things don't bother me I rather have the film flow like this than get bogged down in subplots, I think that was the biggest problem with the first two movies.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 4th, 2004, 06:44:09 PM
Also need to mention the score, Williams did a much better job this film the score was awesome.

Razielle Shadana
Jun 5th, 2004, 05:23:09 AM
Saw it last night! Awesome! I was very aprehensive about this one for some reason but as it happened its now my favorite, so far. :)

Alex
Jun 5th, 2004, 04:45:05 PM
I just went to see the film. I'm probably gonna say stuff everyone else has already covered, but here we go.

1. The beginning was too patchy. Entertaining as the whomping willow was, the beginning part was squashed up too much, and lost its flow a bit. It needed maybe a little bit of extra time to help it mesh together...a few cut-scenes of classes here and there would have done it...just to show that they had more than 4 or 5 lessons in the entire year. And the Quidditch, too. That was glazed over a bit. I personally thought that whole thing was pretty cool in the other films. Maybe that's just me.

2. Lupin wasn't right. I don't know why, but he just didn't look like the Lupin I imagined. The dementors were a little iffy too...I imagined them a little more grim reaper-ish. But, they grew on me, by the patronus bit.

3. Follows on from 1...they missed out a load. All of the stuff about Remus, Sirius, Peter and James, the significance of the Stag Patronus, the Marauder's Map, what really happened the night Peter "died". The Firebolt was in the wrong place...but that was forgivable. In fact, most of it is forgivable - those sorts of details would work in later films. But I was just left wanting more.

4. At the beginning, the acting struck me as a little stiff...I don't know why.

5. Said it before. I wanted more. It seemed too short. Three was a longer book than 1 and 2...yet the film seemed, to me, shorter.

Thats the negative stuff out of the way. However...

1. Buckbeak rocked. TOTALLY rocked. And the Bogart...that was funny.

2. I liked the whole thing with the icing up everywhere when the Dementors came.

3. Once the film got into its stride...probably about half-way through it was really well done. The action stuff, rescuing buckbeak, the warewolf and the dog...basically, as soon as they got to the meaty bit of the story, the film just flowed. In fact, as soon as Hermione punched Malfoy in the face, the film suddenly became more engaging.

4. I couldn't have imagined a better Sirus if I'd tried. Much credit to the guy...he really pulled it off. Trelawny was pretty convincing too.

5. Two words. Girl. Power. That is all I will say on the matter. ;) Oh yeah, and also GO HERMIONE!!!

OK. On to my theories...

The bits that were missing can be covered elsewhere. The stuff about James, Lupin, Peter and Sirius would work if it came as part of the explaination for Harry's dream at the start of book 4. When we see Wormtail back with Voldemort, that would be a good time for Dumbledore to cover what had happened, or perhaps someone like Hagrid. Not the story, I know, but it would work with the films. The Firebolt, being from Sirius, could come in one of the conversations between Harry and Sirius. It would tie in nicely if they had a godfather-godson chat, that included Harry getting the note so he could go to Hogsmede. The rest of the explaining, or perhaps all of it, both from books 3 and 4, would work nicely at the beginning of book 5, at Phoenix HQ.

What else...This is one I haven't heard anyone mention before. It only just struck me. Trelawny has made a few good predictions in her time. Perhaps seeing the Grim in Harry's future wasn't just to do with Sirius...maybe it was telling us what was going to happen to Harry, eventually.

Thats all I can think of. They're probably fairly standard comments. Overall, I think my opinion of it is positive, PROVIDED THAT FILM FOUR PICKS UP FROM WHERE THREE LEFT OFF. There is a lot to get through in Four...more even than three. I do hope that they don't cut too much out, and I hope that they have the sense to split film five into two halves or something...otherwise, they're going to have an epic-length film, or one with big chunks of the story missing.

So yeah. I enjoyed the film. It was fun. But I have to admit, at the very beginning, there were moments when I was starting to get a little bored. In fact, I'd go as far as to say that it was my favorite so far, providing that I gloss over the beginning in my mind. That dragged it down a bit, but it was still a very cool film.

Oh, and a question...how old is the actress who plays Hermione? The character is 13, I think...is she the same age? Sometimes she looks older, sometimes she doesn't. And before you ask, there is no sexual motivation behind that question. I'm just wondering, as I'm trying to write a screenplay, and she *might* fit the part. But I don't think it would be fair if she weren't old enough to go to her own premiere...

imported_Eve
Jun 5th, 2004, 04:58:53 PM
From what I've read, Emma Watson is 13, Daniel Radcliffe is 14., and Rupert Grint is 15. I think they all have birthdays before the end of the summer.

So basically, they're all of age to be playing their parts.

You're review was similar to mine. I think we have basically the same opinion about the movie.

I read a review somewhere that said if you had read the book, the movie will leave you wanting. That's totally it.

Alex
Jun 5th, 2004, 05:13:47 PM
Yeah, I can understand that. A lot of the stuff that made book three a good read was missing. However, I think its one of those films that we're gonna learn to accept as another installment in the story. Like Episode 1. I didn't really like that, but it told an important part of the story. When you look at the Star Wars saga overall, it is amazing. But if you focus on Episode 1, and Episode 5 as well (thought that was a bit of a story-filler...whereas Episode 2 was much better), they don't looks so good.

The major comment about the Harry Potter stories is that the stories grew up as the people watching them grew up. I think that is fairly true. Each book was, more or less, "better" than the one before...and the films are the same. I think that, once I've seen Harry Potter 7, I'll quite happily sit down and watch the saga from start to finish, and enjoy every minute of it. There are clues in film three that reflect the later books. I think that, as the story develops, so will the credibility of the film.

I think.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 5th, 2004, 05:19:21 PM
Actually I can forgive most of those things, there is unfortunetly not enough time to cover everything in the book so I can accept cuts of subplots like the Mauarders although they do give some hints here and there like Lupin, saying Mischief Managed at the end. To me this movie flowed better than the first two, sure it was rushed a little at the beginning but once the knight bus showed up the moved just rocked from there on. I think they are better creating a story from the books then trying to get everything crammed into the films like they did in the first two movies. Also was it just me but Williams score was incredible, one of his best that I have heard in years. I loved the dementors theme, and when Harry rode Buckbeak those two came to mind, and the sad one that was played after Harry found out Sirus was his godfather . I do have actually one complaint and it is very very minor, I hate that new line they give Ron after Snape insults Hermione in class, he says ,"He does have a point." That just doesn't sound like Ron, I mean him taking up for Snape not sure whose idea that was, sure he didn't have to take up for her like in the book, but at least keep him silent but that one line does hurt the movie for me, I can live with it and the movie is still awesome the best movie I have seen this year.

Alex
Jun 5th, 2004, 05:51:57 PM
Actually, about what Ron said It is very Ron-like. If you remember, at that time in the book, Crookshanks and Scrabbers were at war, and Ron and Hermione weren't getting along too well. Ron said something similar-ish in the Griffendor common room, when Hermione was at the desk, books piled up all around her. So it is something that Ron would say...they just didn't back it up well enough.

I also spotted a script error. Snape said something about it being the second time that Hermione had spoken out of line...with the bit about Warewolves. Where was the first time? It wasn't in Snape's lesson, certainly...and I didn't spot any teachers picking up on it. Ok, so she butted in during Lupin's lesson, but Lupin wouldn't have minded.

Also, there are certain parallels Between Hermione and Harry's mother - Harry's mother was supposed to be a very skilled enchantress. She's also muggle-born. And, I think I've spotted her talent for seeing the best in people. We've yet to see anything distinctly James Potter-like from Ron. However, we do keep getting references to Harry being a lot like his father. Perhaps it would stretch to his taste in women? I know its slightly far-fetched, but maybe Ron and Harry are going to end up like Harry Osmond and Peter Parker in Spiderman - fighting over Mary Jane? I mean, Ron its starting to get a little obvious that Ron has feelings for Hermione. And I'm sure Hermione feels something back. But, just like in Spiderman, the keeps saving the girl. Harry is the hero...the stand-alone hero, yes, but I'm not sure that he'll want to stay like that. If you think about it, Ron has always been the guy that followed Harry around. If Ron bears similarities to anyone, its a cross between Sirius and Wormtail - always following Harry around, and his best friend. Maybe, just maybe, Harry will get the girl when Ron messes up, and Ron and Harry have a steak driven between them. Maybe Ron ends up going over to Voldemort or something. That would certainly fit with the theme of similarity I've found - Harry getting slain by someone he considers a friend...just like his father. But its just a theory.

An alternative theory would be the Harry/Sirius parallels. Sirius ended up in Azkaban because he tried to stop his best friends, James and Lily, from being killed. He ended up being convicted of their murder. Maybe Ron and Hermione are going to be lined up as the ones destined to be killed. After all, "Weasley" IS a wizarding family name, just like Potter. If Voldemort wants to wipe out his opposition, the Weasleys have certainly provided plenty of troops to the cause. If Hermione ended up as Mrs Ron Weasley, perhaps, it would let Harry go along and save them, but he might end up sacrificing himself in order to destroy Voldemort. He could even be their best man, to complete the cycle. I actually like this ending, personally. It keeps with the messiah theme. It means that Harry dies. But also, good will prevail. And also, it does leave for the final scene of: almost a year later, Ron and Hermione's baby is born. Hermione says to Ron "Lets call him Harry." or something like that. It strikes me as a suitably "awwww" ending, which is what I, personally, would expect from the Harry Potter series.

Lilaena De'Ville
Jun 5th, 2004, 06:02:26 PM
AUGH SPOILERS!! >_<

I'm going to the movie in a little more than an hour. Yay!

Alex
Jun 5th, 2004, 06:09:27 PM
Heehee. Have fun. And don't do what I did...I'd finished my ice cream and half the popcorn before it even started. The popcorn was gone by the time he got off the bus (this is a LARGE popcorn, we're talking about), and the sweets were gone by half-way. Ah, well. At least I wasn't starving at the end. :\

Arya Ravenwing
Jun 5th, 2004, 06:13:04 PM
Good grief you ate fast. O_o

Alex
Jun 5th, 2004, 06:15:28 PM
Yup. I have a big mouth...you can fit a whole lot of popcorn in it. :D

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 5th, 2004, 06:21:59 PM
LOL about the Ron part, yeah I see what you mean, I guess it is him backing Snape I don't see but as I said it really didn't irk me that much. About your possible Book 7 endings I have been feeling a possible death for Harry for a while although I wouldn't be shocked with a ROTJ esque ending where most of good guys live, I am talking about the main three along with Ginny and a couple of others. In this ending Harry is with Ginny and Ron is with Hermione which would work. Another scenerio. Harry falls in love with Ginny, but Voldemort Captures Ginny, and kills her and Harry dies killing Voldemort that would be tragic but it sure would be saying that COS forshowded the end. Either way I think Voldemort will seize Ginny regardless and use her to try to take Harry out but that is just my opinion.

Alex
Jun 5th, 2004, 06:28:39 PM
I suppose, but I don't see Harry with Ginny. It just doesn't sit right with me. Either Harry ends up with Hermione, or he dies single. I don't think Ginny will enter into it. I don't think Ginny will be captured either...thats too much like book 2. Of course, Voldemort might have decided that if Harry came to rescue Ginny once...*shrug* I think its more because Harry has a soft spot for the Weasleys that he went to rescue her, rather than specifically a love-interest in her. It could be that he feels he has a duty to her, with her having the crush and all...*shrug*.

Is it my memory, or do I remember Ginny having a go at Hermione? Maybe its Ginny that isn't happy about a Harry-Hermione relationship. Or maybe Harry says no, and she don't like the idea. I dunno. Guess I'll have to wait and see. :\

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 5th, 2004, 06:33:06 PM
Well, I am more for a Ron and Hermione relation ship and if Harry lives there is only Luna and Ginny, and I could never seen him with Luna :p Although he could be single like Luke was at the end of ROTJ or he could die single, I guess we will have to see. I am kind of hoping for no love triangle in either book 6 or 7 I don't like that idea with a war going on, seems to weird. or to much like crappy Pearl Harbor :p

Alex
Jun 5th, 2004, 06:36:19 PM
Who was that girl from the other Quiddich team...Cho Chang? or something? How about Harry and her? They seemed to be a bit...you know.

imported_Eve
Jun 5th, 2004, 08:46:53 PM
I think Rowling is too intelligent to turn the series into a soap opera. I think Ron and Hermoine will get somewhere, althought it may just be hormones. For some reason, Rowling has hinted at it in two books now, and it was a subplot of the new film.

The relationship is starting slow, and long. That signifies to me that she wants her readers (and watchers) to root for the couple; to anticipate it. Why do that to break it up later?

She also establishes the bond of friendship between the three. The fact that they would die for one another (and have almost done so) is significant. If Hermoine goes between the two men, she becomes less respectful and respected, and there will always be a wedge between friends. Why would Rowling do that? If you can't count on these three to remain good, then what has she?

I don't think Harry would die either, because it is not consistent with the spirit of the books. Why put a poor soul on the earth (even if make belief) and as your center character to chronicle how he is abused by the Dursleys, a virtual orphan, the son of murdered parents who haunt him, and then kill him off later? Rowling is still writing a kid's series, though us adults LOVE it. If she kills Harry off, then the whole series becomes tragic, not fantastical.

I think Harry will go on, and so will Ron and Hermoine. Someone else will be killed, like Snape. Throughout the whole series you don't quite know which team he is playing for, but I think we'll find out more about him, and find him to be an odd hero.

And as for Ron - I think Rowling has established him, and his family as the epitomy of GOOD. There is no way Ron will "go to the darkside". Ron and Hermoine are her agents of morals, ethics, and good for the children reading. To get the kids into these characters and then turn them evil (1) would not be consistent (2) would betray the readers and (3) would turn the series into 90210.

Rowling deserves some credit here. I could be wrong, but I just don't see her making her characters expendible in the ways discussed above.

Ryan Pode
Jun 5th, 2004, 08:56:00 PM
I know what team Snape is playing for she told us... I think Ron'll get the boot.

Droo
Jun 5th, 2004, 09:22:30 PM
I'm pretty much in agreement with every point Eve made in that last post, particularly regarding the whole (HP book series spoilers ahead) Harry being killed off. However there is the prophecy made by Trelawny stating that he and Voldemort are the Neo/Smith equivalent; one interpretation is while one exists the other cannot be destroyed.

I also think that Snape and Neville in particular have much larger roles to play, there are many curious and interesting parallels between Longbottom and Potter and I don't think it's just a coincidence given Neville's development in book five. They may become martyrs before the series reaches its end.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 5th, 2004, 10:17:50 PM
I agree with Dru They both may die. About Harry dying if he does die, it could be his whole purpose was the save the world and that was it, there has been comparasions made between Godrich Griffindor being God, Salzar Slytherin being Satan, Harry is a descendent of Griffindor-hence being Jesus, Voldemort being a descendent of Slytherin, the ant-christ, I can see the similarities there now there could be something to it or not who knows it is interesting how she plays with names so its possible. I am kind of leaning to the ROTJ ending where only the older characters die, like Dumbledore and Lupin the younger generation will carry on but who knows we will have to see

Lilaena De'Ville
Jun 6th, 2004, 12:15:25 AM
Good grief but you all read a lot into 'parallels.'

And Alex, "Ron and Harry have a steak driven between them." ? A1, anyone?

The movie was good. I enjoyed it a lot, I especially appreciated the time travel. It's nice to see that people can go back in time...and not change anything! In case you think I'm mocking, I'm not, I'm being serious. Star Trek and their damnable time travel paradoxes just kill me, it was refreshing to see it done in a way that makes sense. Or, at least, mostly makes sense. ;)

The bits you book readers have mentioned about the Maurader's Map, and the four friends... sounds interesting. I was wondering about the Patronus being a stag, didn't realize it had anything to do with all four friends turning into animals. So, can Harry turn into a stag too?

imported_Eve
Jun 6th, 2004, 06:56:34 AM
LD: Book Spoliers ahead.

You asked if Harry could turn into a stag. Not yet, as the books read. I think he will learn to change, but I am sure his animal form will be different.

Harry's father James, was best friends with Lupin, and Sirius, and Pettigrew when they were young and went to Hogwarts. Lupin was bit (or something) and became a werewolf. To help their friend deal with being a werewolf (because he would be a virtual outcast if people had known), James, Sirius, and Pettigrew became Animagi (or those who can turn into an animal). Supposedly you can't choose what animal you turn into - you just turn into one.

James turned into a stag/deer (his nickname between friends being Prongs), Sirius into a dog (his nickname being Padfoot), and Pettigrew turned into a rat (his nickname being Wormtail). They called Lupin "Mooney" because he turns into a werewolf at the full moon. Hence, all the names on the Marauder's Map.

Animagi are supposed to register with the Ministry of Magic, and none of these four ever registered. So people will never know the black dog is Sirius - and that's why he wasn't caught when he escaped Azkaban.

Harry's Patronus is a stag/deer because its the symbol of protetction for him, drawing him to his father.

I just think this is a vital bit of information that was left out of the film. SEE it confused you too! :p

The book has so much more information in it.

Alex
Jun 6th, 2004, 07:21:58 AM
Yeah...Lupin was bit by his uncle, I think.

LD...what the frell does "A1, anyone?" mean?

Dasquian Belargic
Jun 6th, 2004, 07:23:30 AM
2. Lupin wasn't right.

When I first saw pictures of Thewilis, I thought he would work. Then I saw him in all of his Lupin costume, and I didn't think he would work. Then I saw him on screen and he worked. He's not who I would have picked to play Lupin, but I think he did a really good job of it.

Figrin D'an
Jun 6th, 2004, 07:44:35 AM
Originally posted by Alex
LD...what the frell does "A1, anyone?" mean?

It's "stake", not "steak."

It was an attempt at making a funny.

Although, I prefer homemade marrinades to A1.

Alex
Jun 6th, 2004, 08:19:27 AM
Aah. OK. I don't get it, but ok.

jjwr
Jun 6th, 2004, 08:20:25 AM
I enjoyed the movie without having read the book, there were a few things I did question but as a whole I didn't have any problems with it.

Course my two sisters on one side and a nephew on the other who had all read the books and telling me things were filling in some gaps.

As for the map, I took what the movie gave me and really didn't question it, the weasleys stole it and used it, then Harry used it. The names didn't mean much to me or make me feel like I was missing anything.

As for the new broomstick, that was obviously from Sirius so no worries there.....

imported_Eve
Jun 6th, 2004, 08:26:41 AM
A1 is steak sauce.

I think I said this before, but I always pictured Lupin as Quentin Tarantino when I was reading about him, for some reason. I knew Gary Oldman was playing Sirius before I started reading the series, so I always pictured him as he was in the film.

I think all actors nailed their parts.

Another thing...

The bit about the grim. I felt the film didn't really explain that either.

I also need to re-read the part leading up to the time-turner. In the film, they were hit by rocks in Hagrid's hut by themselves, and Hermoine heard herself make a noise behind her in the woods. Can't remember any of that in the book, but not knowing what was coming, I may have not picked up on it. I know the part about Harry seeing himself and thinking it was his father was in there. Anyone remember?

Alex
Jun 6th, 2004, 08:27:00 AM
Yeah, they made it obvious that the broom was from Sirius but In the book they had a whole thing involving it. The "grim" that Harry saw in the clouds was actually supposed to be him seeing Sirius, watching. And the school confiscated his broom and stuff. Its not that important, but it changed the story a bit...Harry wasn't seeing the grim everywhere in the book - he was seeing Sirius. They didn't cover that, really.

Alex
Jun 6th, 2004, 08:31:18 AM
Sorry, I can't get Firefox to accept the "enter" button, so I'll have to do this as a separate post, so it doesn't get confused. They didn't throw the stones at themselves, no, but I think that was a nice touch. And the "Is that really what my hair looks like from behind" thing. It was funny, and it added weight to Harry's "I knew I could do it, because I'd already done it" statement. The way the film did it, it made it so that Hermione thought it up, and Harry just followed her lead, strengthening the "Hermione is the smart one" concept. And it wasn't a stone. It was a snail. :D

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 6th, 2004, 09:12:25 AM
Well I thought the stone bit was a nice touch, I think Harry realized it was him when he saw nobody coming it just dawned on him that it had to be him not sure if he connected the dots from the stones and the werewolf calls or not, if he had I think he would have done it sooner but who knows. About the subplot with the Mauraders I know people who saw it and had no problems with that, I don't think it confuses non-book readers that much, just makes book readers mad :p

Lilaena De'Ville
Jun 6th, 2004, 10:19:36 AM
The sub-plot with the map didn't confuse me as being left out until I read all your spoilers. :p

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 6th, 2004, 11:10:15 AM
LOL I think that would be the case, but since we explained it to you you should be okay :)

Alex
Jun 6th, 2004, 11:22:37 AM
She should? I would've thought she'd be confused...especially with the way I explain things. :D

Jinn Fizz
Jun 6th, 2004, 07:09:30 PM
I saw the movie this morning, and I was very, very happy with it! I think it's easily the best of the three movies so far.

It took me a bit of time to get used to having a new director at the helm, but I think that in the end, Alfonso Cuaron's directing style fit the movie very well. I'm almost a little sorry that he's not doing Goblet of Fire.

The visual effects were superb...the Dementors looked and acted exactly like I'd pictured them, and Buckbeak was truly amazing.

The acting was great too. The 3 kids are definitely growing as actors from picture to picture, and I still say Rupert Grint is going to have a great career as a comedian when the HP movies are all done :D.

It's true that there is a certain amount of abridging, shuffling of events, and complete absence of other events throughout the movie when compared to the book, but that's the nature of the beast when you're adapting a book into movie form. There's always going to have to be some changes made, since telling a story in written form is different than telling a story in a visual medium like a movie. I too would have liked to have seen the Mooney/Wormtail/Padfoot/Prongs friendship and the origin of the Marauder's Map explained, but you can't please all the people all the time. Still, it all worked quite well, as far as I was concerned :). Plus JK Rowling has been quoted in more than one place reporting that she's thrilled with the movie and it's her favorite so far, so that's good enough for me :).

Some of the fan criticism I've seen at other websites has been quite shrill, and I can't help but wonder just how they'll react when Goblet of Fire comes out. I mean, unless that movie is 5 or 6 hours long, there's no way they can do the full story, so more story amputation is simply going to have to take place. Apparently the first hundred or so pages of the book have been cut out, and the movie will start directly at the Quidditch World Cup, so no Dursleys in the GoF movie. And I'm sure that's just the beginning. So some people are really going to have to brace themselves.

As for whether or not the movie might be confusing to people who haven't read the book...my mother saw the movie with me today. She hasn't read any of the books, and she's only seen The Sorceror's Stone...she hasn't seen Chamber of Secrets yet. But she was able to follow the story quite well, and she didn't have any questions when it was all over. Except for the fact that every time anyone said the word "hippogriff," it sounded to her like they were saying "hypocrite." So we got that straightened out right away :lol!

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 6th, 2004, 09:16:12 PM
LOL, well my father saw it and he never read the books and he had no problems understanding the plot either, so I don't think that is a problem. Sure they cut stuff but there isn't anything you can do about this, it is the same with LOTR there were people going nuts over some of the cuts I remember but they got great movies. And this time by cutting some subplots away they got a better Potter film, the best of the series, IMO.

About GOF I wonder how they will work that, I am guessing it will include an abrieviated Quidditch World Cup game, the Dark Mark, The TriWizard Tournament, The Yule Ball, and Voldemort's return that is a lot to cover right there.

Droo
Jun 7th, 2004, 07:52:56 AM
I think I'd prefer it if they had made two films for GOF, there's just so much ground to cover and so much great stuff going on in it that I don't want to see cut. I think starting the film at the Quidditch World Cup is a great idea though but they will have to find another way to explain port keys if they don't show how they got there.

jjwr
Jun 7th, 2004, 09:24:20 AM
I doubt it will be split into two movies, as long as the series is going to be already that would be pushing it a bit much, especially with the commitments of the core characters.

Weren't the 3 kids only signed for the first 3 movies? I'm curious about all the other characters as well like Hagrid, Dursleys, Weasleys, Teachers, etc....would hate to see different people step into the roles.

Droo
Jun 7th, 2004, 10:02:33 AM
GOF isn't being split into two movies, this much is known since it has been revealed that it was Alfonso Cuaron who convinced the new director not to make two films of the one story. As for the contracts, I believe all signed contracts to be involved in the first four films, not three, then after that let's hope they continue to assume their Potter roles otherwise major changes in casting could sink the film series.

Alex
Jun 7th, 2004, 10:26:07 AM
Most of the big name actors are in positions in their career where they can get away with doing the whole Harry Potter series, without it being too damaging. Robbie, for example, is probably better known for James Bond than for Harry Potter - and its not like you can recognise him, anyway. Most of the permenant teaching posts have well-known actors and actresses who are recognised in their own right, rather than for the characters they play. So from their point of view, Harry Potter isn't going to hurt them. I can't see any of them leaving the film.

The kids on the other hand...I'm not sure how much they'll want to play their parts when they get older...unless they get more stuff along the way, they could get hurt from the parts - being recognised as "Harry Potter" for the rest of your life can't be all that inviting a prospect.

Ryla Relvinian
Jun 7th, 2004, 10:29:42 AM
POA is... Good. Good and interesting. I wouldn't say great, as in a total and complete replacement for the books for reasons stated above, but there were some things I really liked.

Right off the bat: Harry is cheesed off. Royally so. I loved the energy that he had in this one, it was completely unlike anything at all. He was acting like... news flash... a teenage boy, living in two worlds, neither of which he particularly understands, and has no family to trust.

The director brought in Lupin just perfectly, if you ask me. Harry finally gets to see his parets through their friend's eyes, andyou can see in that scene on the bridge, as in the scene between Harry and Sirius, that gaining father figures gives Harry an immense sense of purpose and self-worth.

I loved the time-turner parts, even though they did add in the stone/snail and the wolf call. I don't think those changed the plot too dramatically.

Favorite part, hands down, is the werwolf transformation. I honestly felt bad for the little kids in the audience, because it was frightening! That scene is just great, effects and acting combined.

Now.... No Quidditch cup? No Oliver Wood? The Castle, uniforms, quidditch robes, and entrance to the common room are totally rearanged with no apaprent reason given? No Peeves?

That's why this movie is good. Not great, but good. I'm hoping that gien with the massive quantities of information in GOF they will choose the right things to discard. I wouldn't mind just starting at the world cup, leaving out the dursleys altogether. They can condense the tasks, or rather, the time between them. Splitting it up would just suck.

And, of course, it better have Lucius Malfoy in it. Somebody needs to give whiny little Draco a good solid swat with a cane, if you ask me.

Droo
Jun 7th, 2004, 10:57:19 AM
Originally posted by Ryla Relvinian
I wouldn't say great, as in a total and complete replacement for the books for reasons stated above, but there were some things I really liked.

Conversley, that is why I think the movie is so awesome. I think it's very important to distinguish between book and film and I've learned that one should never compare the experience of reading the book to watching the film. The medium are too far detatched and the experience a thousand times different.

For example, I don't miss the Quiddich cup or Oliver Woods manic obsession with Gryffindor winning, nor do I miss the backstory on the Maruaders Map, etc. etc. In separating the film from the book, I can enjoy POA as singularly a book and now a film, I don't see them as the same story per se. It's another storyteller retelling the tale and in a different way and thankfully so, page for page adaptions can be slavishly long-winded.

And one of the first things I said when I left the theatre for the first time(seen it four times now!) was: "I can't wait to see Jason Isaacs come back for the Goblet of Fire. :D

Zachariah Darmok
Jun 7th, 2004, 11:42:53 AM
I saw it and loved it, Thawlis was wonderfull as was the rest of the cast bar Gamdon, i was more convinced by Mr.Harris and shall miss him from that part, but Gamdon made a difficult move and i respect him for it, overall, good movie.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 7th, 2004, 04:54:51 PM
Issacs is signed for GOF from what I read, they have also signed Moody, Krum, Cho, and the French school teacher (forget her name), only Crouch, Voldemort and Fleur really left, I suspect Bagman will have a very small role and I think they cut Rita Skitter out although her character was very bad and I liked what happened to her, but there is no time for her, IMO.
About POA it is easily my favorite I really want to see it again, which is different from the the first two Potter films I enjoyed them but wasn't planning on ever to see them again in theaters.

Jinn Fizz
Jun 7th, 2004, 08:43:06 PM
Originally posted by Ryla Relvinian
And, of course, it better have Lucius Malfoy in it. Somebody needs to give whiny little Draco a good solid swat with a cane, if you ask me.

I agree totally. I missed seeing Lucius in this one, I have this major thing for Jason Isaacs, doncha know :D . Can't wait to see him as Lucius's background becomes much more sinister in GoF.

This was Tom Felton's best performance as Draco in the 3 movies too. He was spot on, the big bully who immediately fell apart when challenged. I especially loved how he was moaning and muttering as Hagrid carried him away after Buckbeak had slashed him. That was too darn funny :D.

Jinn Fizz
Jun 7th, 2004, 09:31:41 PM
Courtesy of a poster at Rotten Tomatoes' PoA forum...

You HAVE to check this out, this is AWESOME!!!

http://forum.deviantart.com/entertainment/movies/227954/

:lol

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 7th, 2004, 09:42:10 PM
Yeah very funny
Also I am going to start a quote list here are some of my favs

Snape: "Well well, Lupin. Out for a little walk... in the moonlight?"

Hermione: "You want to Move Closer?"
Ron: "What?"
Hermione: "I meant to the Shrieking Shack."

Sirius Black to Snape "Why do you go play with your Chemistry set."

Malfoy to Ron and Hermione. "What are you two doing, shopping for you dream home."

Shawn
Jun 9th, 2004, 10:55:43 AM
Originally posted by Lilaena De'Ville
The movie was good. I enjoyed it a lot, I especially appreciated the time travel. It's nice to see that people can go back in time...and not change anything! In case you think I'm mocking, I'm not, I'm being serious. Star Trek and their damnable time travel paradoxes just kill me, it was refreshing to see it done in a way that makes sense. Or, at least, mostly makes sense. ;)Actually, the method that they approached it with created just as many paradoxes, if not more. You see, what they did was form an endless circle, with no beginning or end. Chronologically speaking, Harry should have died on more than one occasion and thus not been able to go back in time and, well, save himself. Who saved him the first time, so he could go back later? He can't very well go back in time if he's dead. At least most time travel paradoxes actually make sense.

Also, is it just me, or does the Time Turning thing seem a touch too powerful for Hermione to command. I mean, she can do practically anything with that.

That didn't detract from my enjoyment of the movie at all. Things like this are just inherent when dealing with time travel. In fact, I do think that this is my favorite of the three movies. This is the first time that I actually feel inclined to go out and read the books. I'm probably going to stop by my local B&N later to pick up GOF. Maybe even read POA to see what I missed.

Dasquian Belargic
Jun 9th, 2004, 11:20:21 AM
Also, is it just me, or does the Time Turning thing seem a touch too powerful for Hermione to command.

I think you just have to think of it as a gadget. It's not like she is actually using any of her own power to activate it. I don't think there's any doubt that she would be sensible with it, so it seems fair that (IIRC) Dumbledore gave it to her.

And yes you should pick up GOF. They'll have a hard time cramming all of that into one movie, and there's lots of cool stuff in there :) My favorite book so far, easily.

Shawn
Jun 9th, 2004, 11:28:57 AM
I more meant that it could potentially be a Deus Ex Machina, for whenever Rowling writes herself into a corner. Not so much as it's too powerful for Hermione.

Dasquian Belargic
Jun 9th, 2004, 11:42:05 AM
Ohhh. Well it's only been used once, and she's already set up limits for it if I remember rightly, which essentially prohibit her from doing that... This next spolier refers to the last book, just incase you don't want to read it - I'm sure I can remember Harry asking for a turner, so that he could go back and save Sirius, but was denied one. I might be remembering wrong, but I seem to remember someone being told they couldn't be used to alter things like that.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 9th, 2004, 12:53:50 PM
Okay about that personally I suspect Dumbledore played some role in this, it is possible that he saved Harry the first time and perhaps not Sirus setting it off in the first place. My main reason is Dumbledore seems to know so much it just makes me wonder, it was that way in the book too. But hey that is my take on it, it wasn't clear in the book either so its a slight plot hole, but since this is more of a fantasy I actually have less of problem with it but thats me

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 10th, 2004, 09:36:17 PM
I saw the movie again yesterday, it keeps getting better and better, I wanted to point out a few more things
first the Willow, somebody maybe mentioned this before but I loved how they used it to show changes in season it worked perfectly and it was funny too :p I also liked the willow more in this one, especially when it was attacking Harry and Hermione that scene was great. Another thing who else thinks it looks like Ron and Hermione was on a date at the Shack heh it just sounded like it. Like Hermione said about the shack being the most haunted house in Britain and she giggled that she said that before. And of course the do you want to move closer line. That sequence was too cute :p

Droo
Jun 10th, 2004, 10:27:24 PM
[FILM AND BOOKS SPOILER]
I've been thinking about something I read; J.K. Rowling was said to have been suprised at how much Cuarón et al. had been accurate in their subtle hints with regards to what they feel may happen in the future of the series. Now the author didn't specify and understandably so but one thing is fairly obvious; Ron and Hermione. Another suprising one is this:

In the film, Ron tells Harry "You are going to suffer but you're going to be happy about it." This has been changed from the source material in which it is Harry who says this to Ron, well, words to that effect. I have to wonder is this deliberate foreshadowing considering Dan Radcliffe's recent public declaration that he believes Harry will die (possibly in order to destroy Voldemort) and has he picked up this belief from the writers and crew working on that third film? And was this one of the accurate foreshadowing accomplishments that Rowling was talking about? Given Trewlawney's prediction revelation in the fifth book, I think it's actualy quite possible.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 10th, 2004, 11:57:48 PM
Well I think she is referring to two things, one is very obvious, Ron and Hermione the movie hints way more than the book about a possible relationship there I think she was surprised about that. The other is Lupin talking about Lilly I think there is something about the two of them yet to be revealed but that is my take

Ryla Relvinian
Jun 11th, 2004, 12:28:18 AM
Originally posted by Dru
And one of the first things I said when I left the theatre for the first time(seen it four times now!) was: "I can't wait to see Jason Isaacs come back for the Goblet of Fire. :D

You and me both, though I'm betting it was for... ahem... slightly different reasons...

Originally posted by Jinn Fizz
I agree totally. I missed seeing Lucius in this one, I have this major thing for Jason Isaacs, doncha know :D . Can't wait to see him as Lucius's background becomes much more sinister in GoF.

Bingo! :D

This was Tom Felton's best performance as Draco in the 3 movies too. He was spot on, the big bully who immediately fell apart when challenged. I especially loved how he was moaning and muttering as Hagrid carried him away after Buckbeak had slashed him. That was too darn funny :D.

Yes! Draco was excellent! When there is the scene before the COMC class, and he walks over to Harry and the gang, I turned to my Boyfriend and said, "Holy S*! He's, like, six feet tall? When did that happen?" Kind of the same reaction to Ron's voice in the beginning of COS. But Draco is just perfect, IMO, All of the casting is really great, and the energy in this film is so much of a change from the first two, it's enough for a book purist like me to not mind other changes too much.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 11th, 2004, 11:13:32 AM
Yeah that is why I like it better, I know there have been complaints of leaving stuff out, nobody really here, I have beengoing to a Harry Potter forum, it is this one
http://www.cosforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21
It i sone of the larger ones out there but some of the people there irk me, some want to see everything and I mean everything in the film and they are mad that stuff got left out and that is the only reason they hate the movie. Most of them over there are fine heck I say 80-85% over there really enjoyed the movie but you have a vocal minority that just irk me there. Maybe that is the way it is with all obsessed fans :p I know Star Wars fans can be that way.
Now I had one complaint I kinda of wish they had explained Trewley's prophecy better but that is my only complaint but to me it is nearly perfect.

Shawn
Jun 11th, 2004, 11:32:56 AM
Now I had one complaint I kinda of wish they had explained Trewley's prophecy better but that is my only complaint but to me it is nearly perfect. I haven't had the chance to read too much of it yet, but that definitely made more sense now that I've started GOF. I laughed when it was mentioned that Harry finds Trewley's constant prophecies of his demise a bit tiresome.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 11th, 2004, 01:22:46 PM
Well it was just that one but here final one In Azkaban she predicts that the Dark Lord's most trusted servant will break his chains and return to him. At first Harry hasn't a clue what she means, but when Pettigrew escapes later he realizes it and comments it to Dumbledore who says she was telling a real prophecy. Now I imagine have Dumbledore explain everything might be a good cut, but I wish they had her say Voldemort instead of Lord it would have made the audience know what she is talking about more but that is just me. They might say more on this in GOF because she said one thing in the movie which is foreshadowing something in that film, "innocent blood will be shed." I won't say since you are reading the book you will find out.
About GOF it is a tie between that and Azkaban for me as the best in the series, Order of the Phoenix is close though as well.

Jinn Fizz
Jun 12th, 2004, 08:34:25 AM
Yeah that is why I like it better, I know there have been complaints of leaving stuff out, nobody really here, I have beengoing to a Harry Potter forum, it is this one
http://www.cosforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21
It i sone of the larger ones out there but some of the people there irk me, some want to see everything and I mean everything in the film and they are mad that stuff got left out and that is the only reason they hate the movie. Most of them over there are fine heck I say 80-85% over there really enjoyed the movie but you have a vocal minority that just irk me there. Maybe that is the way it is with all obsessed fans :p I know Star Wars fans can be that way.
Now I had one complaint I kinda of wish they had explained Trewley's prophecy better but that is my only complaint but to me it is nearly perfect.

A forum I've been hanging out at a lot lately is the PoA forum at Rotten Tomatoes:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/vine/forumdisplay.php?f=101132921

The same situation exists there as it does at the forum you described, Carr. I'd say that at RT, it's more like 90-95% that liked or loved the movie, but you've got 3 or 4 people who don't miss a chance to respond to us PoA supporters and point out just how "bad" the movie was. One of them even called me an "old fart" because I didn't find the whiny tantrums of the kids at the official HP messageboard at the WB website to be persuasive at all :p . But yes, I've had plenty of practice with this kind of behavior with Star Wars fans at times :cool!

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 12th, 2004, 03:25:53 PM
I know go to theforce.net you find more whiney idiots there than anywhere else. A Close second is the box office Mojo forum they have some real idiots posting over there.

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 12th, 2004, 07:15:36 PM
Just saw this last night.

Liked, yeah. Loved it? NO. Definatly not. I actually thought it was weaker than COS.

The biggest problem was that I felt that you had to have read the book to truly understand the movie. That frustrated me, as I was always mentally filling in gaps.

secondly This might seem small to others, btu the Patronus was so wrong, it really PMO. It's a bloody stag! It was annoying the stag shape was the tip to the book, but the rest of the Patronus was completely different. I hate being a book snob, but there are somethigns you shouldnt change and that was one of them. It's important.

It's worth a look. No more.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 12th, 2004, 09:38:58 PM
You see I disagree with you, I have seen the film with two people who had never read the books and they loved it, I think its the book people that are having the problems, well not me I thought it was wonderful. I thought they had to change the book because the last two weren't as good because they were way too faithful and this would did a better job because it added things not in the book and showed things different than the book.

Figrin D'an
Jun 12th, 2004, 09:51:55 PM
The screen adaptation of the third book was actually a movie, which was nice. The first two, while not bad for people who like the books (which I do), was far too much like snapshots of the book sewn together to make a movie. There was too much of the books, and not enough filmmaking. This one was considerably more balanced, I felt. Sure, there were a couple things I was a little suprised they didn't explain on screen, but all in all, it was much better "film" than the first two.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 12th, 2004, 10:05:50 PM
Yeah that is what I think Fig. What are the two things that surprised you they didn't put in? the only thing I was disapointed in was the prophecy not being dealt with more, however, I do wonder if they are saving that for the GOF because they are afraid non book readers might not remember it. Second the Mauraders sub plot. Well that didn't bother me, it is not about them it is about Harry. All that is important is that Sirus, James, Lupin and Pettigrew were friends and that is about it, now I would like to have seen more about Snape's hatred of Harry's father, they hinted at it some in this film when Snape said that Harry struted like his father, that was neat but they keep just hinting. I read somewhere in a recent Entertainment weekly that they are saving that for a future book, I am guessing OOTP but that is my guess.

Figrin D'an
Jun 12th, 2004, 10:26:47 PM
Mainly, I was kinda surprised they didn't at least mention in passing the backstory of the Marauders Map... at least something about how the four names on the map represented the four friends (James, Lupin, Sirius and Pettigrew), thus explaining how Lupin knew how it worked, etc. And, tying in with that, I was surprised they didn't explain how the other three friends voluntarily chose to become Animagi because of Lupin. It would have explained why Sirius could become a dog, how Pettigrew was able to hide all those years as the Weasley's rat, and why Harry's Patronus was a stag. Those couple of things would have really tied up a lot of the loose ends that might have confused some of the non-book readers.

The missing parts of the prophecy didn't bother me that much, mainly because we end up learning so much more about it in books 4 and 5 that I could see, from a filmmaker's point of view, why they might want to explain it at that point, when it has greater relevance on the main plotline.

Beyond that, I felt Cuaron did a good directing job, and the performances by the kids were the best of the three films thusfar. And, believe it or not, I actually think I like Michael Gambon's Dumbledore more than Richard Harris'. Harris' Dumbledore always struck as being a bit too aloof compared to his personality in the books. Gambon gets a little closer to the mark, IMO.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 12th, 2004, 11:04:45 PM
I agree with you about Gambon he was great as Dumbledore he seemed more like him than Harris. I think Harris didn't have the knack for the character, but that is my opinion. I see you point about the about the Prophecy it does explain why they left out. Yeah and maybe they should have made it clearer about the map, they did give a lot of hints with showing Lupin knowing how to work it and Sirius saying the map never lies. It is kinda of odd that Lupin didn't just tell Harry that we made the map. I think that whole thing is a hard to balance, and I do wonder if they filmed any of that and just cut it out because they thought the movie didn't flow as well with it. I do know they cut out Lupin explaining that his father was the Stag. The only other scene I know was cut out was the one when Sirius attacked Ron, I figure they will both be on the DVD About the DVD I heard some rumors that they are coming out with Special Edition versions of the first two films so I wonder if they are doing a LOTR with the Harry Potter films now, it be cool if they did. Although they could have done this already now I have to buy the first two again :p

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 13th, 2004, 09:34:46 PM
Here is a good piece by the science fiction writer Orson Scott Card he really nails what the movie is all about.

http://www.hatrack.com/osc/reviews/everything/2004-05-30-extra.shtml

I love his piece at the end people who want to see everything in the books should read that.

jjwr
Jun 14th, 2004, 04:55:32 AM
The biggest problem was that I felt that you had to have read the book to truly understand the movie. That frustrated me, as I was always mentally filling in gaps.

A truly unfair generalization as I didn't read the book and I don't have nearly as many problems with the movie as the book readers did :)

Seriously though, yes the book goes into more detail on minor points but after reading through all of this I've picked up on those points and don't feel I missed anything from the movie for not knowing them. Yes they are cool tidbits but they weren't necessary for the movie.

Droo
Jun 14th, 2004, 06:18:14 AM
Agreed with jjwr. I had no problems with the movie in that regard, I knew the story inside out, however I did get the impression due to the speed of the film and the amount of ground it covered that those who had not read the books might find it more difficult to follow. So far, I've heard no such complaints from anyone I've spoken to who has never read the books. It's true, those who have read the books tend to have more problems with this and there are some who think the third film isn't as good as either of the first two - cough! Marcus! :mad! cough! - personally, I can't imagine how but it does all come down to difference of opinion at the end of the day.

As for Marcus' point about Harry's patronus, I understand what your saying but I think the sight of a silvery stag darting about the lake butting dementors around wouldn't have seemed have as magical as what was done. I was never truely happy with the way the patronus was done in the books, especially in book five in which it appears to have a mind of it's own and runs around. I think it was nice to have the essence of the patronus shield be a stag, it was a nice nod to the books but anymore would've been too much, imo.

Jinn Fizz
Jun 14th, 2004, 06:57:49 AM
Here is a good piece by the science fiction writer Orson Scott Card he really nails what the movie is all about.

http://www.hatrack.com/osc/reviews/everything/2004-05-30-extra.shtml

I love his piece at the end people who want to see everything in the books should read that.

Excellent link, thank you. :)

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 14th, 2004, 07:14:46 AM
Are you kidding me Dru? That would have booted much backside! what we saw instead was LAME.

Watchign the DVD of ROTK reminded me exactly whay I found POA lacking - detail. ROTK, even tho it veers signifigantly, feels like LOTR. POA did not feel like Potter. It lacked attention to the little things... and the big ones, like The Patronus and Messers Padfoot, Wormtail, Moony and Prongs. .

Add another 10 minutes and boy, could you really have made a difference. a bit of fill and attention to important detail.

Oh and the score SUCKED. Get soemone else, Williams' best days are long gone.

Special effects were good, tho... ILM still really has a lot of catchign up to WETA to do.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 14th, 2004, 11:59:06 AM
I think the score was awesome, I actually love John Williams he is the best composer ever. The effects I thought were very good, it should win best VFX because of Buckbeak alone.
Also I have to get something off my chest and this isn't really towards you Marcus but to the Potter fans who think the Maurders should be more explained in the movie. Heck there are some fans who think they are more important than Harry. The Maurders are just not that important to the overall story it only matters that they were friends not what they did when they were at school and also it plays no role in the next book and very little in Book 5 Just the part involving Snape and I think I read somewhere they will show that, really that is the only book so far this subplotted had mattered in the overal store. Sure Sirius and Lupin are important, but they are important to Harry as father figures and mentors not because of there exploits as the Maurders and I think the film shows this very well. It doesn't matter they made the map it is meaningless to the defeat of Voldemort so why worry about. Still they might actually add this in the DVD. Some of this might have been filmed and was cut because it hurt the flow of the movie. Heck they could still have a SE DVD, since I read they are working on ones for the first two movies.

Tiberius Anar
Jun 15th, 2004, 01:22:56 PM
I think the film is the best yet. I didin't even mind that they had missed out parts because, without them, it is a much better film with a much greater pace than the previous two. The same goes for the departure from the order of events in the book.

I would also like to say how wonderful the music was. I was particularly taken with the score for the latter part- the constant tick-tick noise in the background really got me.

Roj'yor'nuruodo
Jun 15th, 2004, 10:10:46 PM
I will be interested to see if they even explain Prongs, seeing as they decided not to in the book where he is introduced.

jjwr
Jun 16th, 2004, 04:40:45 AM
Are you kidding me Dru? That would have booted much backside! what we saw instead was LAME.

Eh.....I really didn't know it came off like that in the book, during the movie my sister told me about the Stag thing and that Harry's father was the stag but seeing a white etheral stag flying through the air after dementors would have been a bit cheesy. That would have been really hard to pull off so it looked serious. Its a very serious point in the movie and the way it was done in the movie played into that.

Watchign the DVD of ROTK reminded me exactly whay I found POA lacking - detail. ROTK, even tho it veers signifigantly, feels like LOTR. POA did not feel like Potter. It lacked attention to the little things... and the big ones, like The Patronus and Messers Padfoot, Wormtail, Moony and Prongs. .

This was no worse than some of the scenes cut from the various Lord of the Rings movies. Its backstory, yes its interesting backstory but its backstory none the less. After about 2 minutes in the Screaming House I knew that the four were friends and what was going on, I figured it out quite well. Knowing that it was those four who made the map didn't matter, the map was a means to a end in the movie, it didn't needs its own 10 minute back story.

Tom Bombadill? Barrow Wights? Marauders? All cool, yes, necessary for the story to move forward? Nope!

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 16th, 2004, 10:59:10 AM
Yep I agree there maybe they can make a special edition DVD and add it for the fans, but it wasn't necessary for the Theatrical version.

imported_Marcus
Jun 16th, 2004, 05:35:27 PM
Tom Bombadill? Barrow Wights? Marauders? All cool, yes, necessary for the story to move forward? Nope!

Unlike Bombadil, the Marauders are actually somewhat important in explaining who Black is and his connection to Harry.

The big difference in LOTR and POA was that if Jackson removed something, he would normally put in an acknowledgement of said event somewhere else. He also put a wealth of detail in as well - I just feel this attention to detail was simply lacking.

Dont get me wrong, I'm no book snob and I do rather like both francises - but some of the leave outs and story changes the director of POA did just dont gel with me. I keep on looking at the book and thinking it could have translated to film quite differently and IMO, better.

The other real issue I have is the lack of screen time of minor chacacters - it was like you saw say Snape and then he vinished.

I for one would have been perfectly happy with a longer movie. What's missing from the book would have added a great deal - I fully believe audiences would have sat through it quite happily, LOTR proves audiences arent dumb, they'll accept exploding bladders for some quality filmmaking. Adding to POA would have made it IOM better.

The other thing that we can see with the Box Office returns is that POA appears not to be a film that will encourage repeat viewings.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 16th, 2004, 09:34:33 PM
Well the film is doing better overseas can't really explain that, unless it is just because Potter's popularity is 10x times more popular overseas, it could triple the domestic numbers (looking at 600-700 overseas IMO) so I think the Franchise is fine. Personally I disagree you I was never interested in the Mauraders personally I think they have been overblown by Potter fans. It is not important that they had wild adventures as kids at school, it only mattered they were friends and that was it.

jjwr
Jun 17th, 2004, 04:10:28 AM
Snape should have definetly had more screen time, it seems the meat of the movie was squeezed into the last 45 minutes while the first 1 hr 15mins was mainly filler and little things. Not that it was bad but as a whole it didn't seem to have a whole lot in there.

I just finished Chamber so I'll be starting PoA tonight so I guess I'll see what all the hype about the Muaraders is :)

Until then though I have to agree with JMC, yes they sound interesting but I don't feel wanting or like I missed something because they weren't included.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 17th, 2004, 06:39:16 AM
Snape's character actually to me becomes more interesting in the next two books (GOF and OOTP) but I won't get into that.

darth_mcbain
Jun 21st, 2004, 01:18:48 PM
I finally got to see this last Saturday. I don't know - I had a lot of problems with it. I really wanted to like it, but I'm not sure if I did or not...

It seemed to me as if too many details were dropped or glossed over. I totally understand that some things had to go and that they could not include everything. But it seems to me as if the stuff they did leave in was just barely touched on and then they were onto the next thing. It was almost as if all the pieces were there, there just wasn't enough glue to hold them all together.

And while some things obviously had to be omitted for time purposes, I was somewhat disappointed on some of the things they left out, such as more detail about the creators of the Marauder's Map, the past relationships of Snape, James, Sirius, and Lupin, the significance of Harry's patronus, etc... all stuff that has been mentioned in this thread before, so I won't dwell on it.

I also didn't like how Hogwarts was portrayed - the school grounds seem to have changed their layout pretty significantly. I didn't like how the students didn't have to wear robes. They barely even touched on their classes - it was like they weren't even in school.

And I thought they did a pretty lousy job with Malfoy. In the books, he is really rotten - in the movie he seems like such a wuss. I know that is somewhat his character in the books (as being mostly talk), but I think they really played him down in the movie - I expected a lot worse out of him as the school bully.

I don't know - to be fair, I did see the movie after a really exhausting day and I caught a really late show, so I may not have been in the best frame of mind to enjoy it, but I just left feeling somewhat let down.

I am debating going to see it again to see if my opinion changes - though I may just wait and get it on DVD. While it may not have been my favorite - it is still DVD-worthy and then I can watch it at my leisure to see what I think after a few viewings.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 21st, 2004, 04:17:10 PM
I say see it again, if not in Theaters DVD for sure. I really enjoyed it, I disagree about the the grounds stuff I like all that besides Rowling her self does, it, the Hospital has changed floors now like 3 times, she says the rooms move around in the building, so that is fine with me. I actually perfer the grounds the way they are in this one, they look more like Hogwarts. Not Disney World like Columbus did.

Jinn Fizz
Jun 21st, 2004, 08:25:59 PM
Here's something fun for you to check out...PoA in 15 minutes!

http://www.livejournal.com/community/m15m/2237.html?thread=39101

Very, very funny stuff!!!!

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 21st, 2004, 08:34:38 PM
I saw that it is hilarious. Anybody under 18 beware though it has some foul language.

Figrin D'an
Jun 23rd, 2004, 09:41:39 PM
And now presenting the scariest Harry Potter related website ever...

http://jasonkill.com/hermione/index.htm

(Link courtesy of Fark.com)

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 23rd, 2004, 10:31:27 PM
Now that is a little gross, I hope this guy is under 18 himself, at least then it isn't a big deal. Immeditely the girl is cute and imagine she will one day be a very pretty young woman but that is just gross.

Figrin D'an
Jun 23rd, 2004, 10:34:39 PM
Now that is a little gross, I hope this guy is under 18 himself, at least then it isn't a big deal.

Check out the section where he tells about himself... he's definitely not under 18.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 23rd, 2004, 10:36:22 PM
I don't think I want to know then. First off if he is that desperate to wait on her to turn 18 he has got some serious issues there alone.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 23rd, 2004, 10:38:02 PM
My curiosity got the best of me I read the site, man he resembles some of the stereotypes of Star Wars fans the way he looks and acts about Harry Potter.

jjwr
Jun 24th, 2004, 06:01:23 AM
Wow.....that is either really really scarry or a well done joke.

Some of the things he writes makes me believe its a joke, like naming his computer mouse Scabbers and talking to it. Him sitting on his bed with the Harry Potter scarf, etc.

And I guess part of me just hopes its a joke otherwise its really really wrong.

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 24th, 2004, 06:14:22 AM
Originally posted by Figrin D'an
Check out the section where he tells about himself... he's definitely not under 18.

Originally posted by Figrin D'an
And now presenting the scariest Harry Potter related website ever...

http://jasonkill.com/hermione/index.htm

(Link courtesy of Fark.com)

That website is one hell good troll. Real trolling is an artform, I salute people who know this and do it well.

Sick yes, but a troll.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 24th, 2004, 11:08:37 AM
yeah it is probably a joke, or I hope it is at least.

Droo
Jun 24th, 2004, 11:20:55 AM
I think it's quite an obvious troll really. No-one would admit to basically being a pedophile on the internet and certainly not along with posting his picture too.

jjwr
Jul 14th, 2004, 04:10:19 AM
I just finished reading the book of this......eh....to be honest I liked the movie better. The best thing about the book that wasn't in the movie was the Quidditch Cup, that would have been a nice addition but at a heavy time cost. Which is the reason they didn't make a big deal about the Thunderbolt, as there was no Cup it wasn't a huge deal.

The whole Moony, Wormtail, Padfoot & Prongs, it was mentioned off and on and after a while you knew who they were but it was never a big deal. Those 4 names conveyed the great friendship between the 4, while the movie does it at the end in a different way, all the same result.

The movie definetly did the Time Turner sequence better, it was a little blah in the book.

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 14th, 2004, 06:51:13 AM
Well the book is more detailed, but I try not to compare a book to a movie because a book does one thing and a movie does another still I really liked POA the book and the movie. Goblet of Fire is very close though, in some ways its better, in terms of mystery and action, but that is all a matter of opinion

jjwr
Jul 14th, 2004, 07:49:06 AM
Oh I agree, both were very good.

I guess my comments were more geared to those who kept complaining about certain things being left out or changed, etc. From all the stuff I read it sounded like a huge deal but after reading the book it really wasn't. More detailed as you say, not necessarily better.

I'm gonna have to get Goblet next. Its going to be wierd though, so far I've read all 3 books after seeing the movies, so this will be a first, read the book and then see the movie!

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 14th, 2004, 04:00:49 PM
Yeah I did that for the first two, POA was my first that I read first and watched the movie after, and I had no problems with the film. I agree though I do get tired of hearing stuff about the changes. Especially some of the radical Harry Potter fans man they get mad that they changed where the Gryffindor common room is and some even say that alone makes the movie bad. Now that type of stuff is laughable. The thing is Rowling herself has said plenty of times that the rooms move around anyway so I think it fits with the books if the whole castle is constantly changing I can accept changes like that (the Willow in a different place, changes in Hagrid's Hut, etc). Also ironically Rowling has said that this movie was her favorite and was true to the book. I am not sure if I would argue with her.

jjwr
Jul 15th, 2004, 04:43:06 AM
I didn't even catch that the common room has moved, Hagrids Hut, grounds, etc I did catch but even that wasn't a big deal.

Great books, great movies, get a life people :)

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 15th, 2004, 09:05:14 PM
Lol I know what you mean, actually most people here haven't been that bad, I know a few here, no names, are really upset with the Maurders bit, it been nice to see it in but I don't think it is necessary. Those people don't bother me as much as those who say they changed the costumes or they are wearing muggle costumes, cuaron must die. And they do exist heh.

Also we got a listing of some of the deleted scenes that will be on the DVD

SCENE 11: In the Knight Bus, Lenny the Shrunken Head is with Ernie, who's driving without hands. Harry says, "uff!"

SCENE 40: Hagrid shouts to a bird.

SCENE 56: Harry, Ron and Hermione talk about Hogsmeade on the moving staircase on the way to the Gryffindor Common room
(scene before the Fat Lady attack). Ron says he bought
the sneakcope in Dervish and Banges, not in Egypt. They arrive at
the picture and Sir Cadogan tells them what happened.

SCENE 91 TO 93: McGonagall asks who has lost the passwords... Neville speaks up...you know this scene...

The last two scenes should be great I understand they show more of Ron and Hermione fighting which should be cool.

jjwr
Jul 16th, 2004, 05:28:07 AM
Nice! The fight between those two was seriously downplayed in the movie as opposed to the book.

I still don't see the big deal with the Marauders, most of it was backstory that the movie just didn't need, it filled in all the holes nicely, what they should have done though was explained it at the end when Lupin gives Harry the map back.

The one scene I miss the most is the train ride home at the end, between Ron being nice to crookshanks, the owl from Serious, the letter and then the owl being given to Ron as well as the letter to Dumbledore, would have ended on a very high not with Harry feeling he actually has real family out there and not just the Dursleys.

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 16th, 2004, 10:07:23 AM
I would have liked to have seen Ron get his owl, not sure if Pig (Ron's nickname for him) will be in the story at all now. That is the only thing I disagreed with was the downplaying of Ron and Hermione's fight in the book they really got mad at each other more so than the movie, it looks like some of it was just cut out. Also according to what I have read the two also hugged in Hagrid's Hut, you can tell there is somthing missing in the Time Turner sequence because more time passes than should when they are there waiting for themselves to leave. I am guessing when Hermione gets mad that Ron didn't apologize there is another scene after that, where they make up and hug. No clue why they cut that, unless they felt they played up enough the future Ron-Hermione relationship I am postive between the hints and through the fifth book that these two will get together by the end .