PDA

View Full Version : Swearing in Lyrics

Navaria Tarkin
May 22nd, 2004, 04:46:31 PM
http://sw-fans.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=35816

this thread was fine till the end where mother---- and ---sucker had dashed lines through it. I treated it as circumventing the swear filter and warned the thread, PM the user accordingly.

For some reason, I don't know why this is bothering me that I did this, so I am posting it here :) Maybe cuz it is part of an RP I might get flack for it later when I get the PM back

:: shrugs ::

That, and I had a stressed out day at work @_@

Morgan Evanar
May 23rd, 2004, 12:13:23 AM
I think if they dash out the swearwords, they're not cirumventing the filter. Cirumventing the filter is slightly modifying the word so its still there.

Theoretically, a tabula rasa would have no idea what the word would be.

Jedi Master Carr
May 23rd, 2004, 12:20:19 AM
That would be my opinion but hey that is me, I would go with the blank complete and not put the mother bit though. I have always had a question on stuff like this especially movie quotes or quoting from a source another website, you can't help if they swore, but if you, "That blank blank man." I think that isn't swearing but that is just my feeling on the issue.

Navaria Tarkin
May 23rd, 2004, 10:28:56 AM
I dunno... I just went with my feeling on the matter since I know big green hates the swearing on the board.

I will PM Soraya (think that is her name off the top of my head) and tell her we are discussing it.

Jedi Master Carr
May 23rd, 2004, 11:50:20 AM
the only thing I have against is he left mother and sucker in and you can figure out which words he means if he went blank blank nobody would know but that is my opinion. I think quotes and lyrics are more complicated because of this I guess there might be another solution.

TheHolo.Net
May 24th, 2004, 11:02:00 PM
If the word is all dashes then its okay, but if its a letter or two and some dashes, and its in a regular SWfans.Net forum, that is subverting the filter.

Jedi Master Carr
May 24th, 2004, 11:10:18 PM
yeah that is why I think he did the wrong thing, because you can figure out what he means, I would tell him slash out the two words and it will work.

Navaria Tarkin
May 25th, 2004, 09:37:29 AM
Got it.. so I was kinda right kinda wrong. :)

Thread will continued to be warned until the entire swear words are dashed out.

thanks for the help!