PDA

View Full Version : Heavy Armor Infantry

Teleran Balades
May 22nd, 2004, 09:50:30 AM
I already sent this to Telan, but I was too impatient to wait for an answer ^_^;

Since we're going to be going up against the Federacy and most of their troops use heavy combat armor, I was think of designing some type of armor to comabt them. They could also be used to deal with difficult combat locations such as urban zones were tanks and artillery wouldn't be much use.

The basic concept that I was thinking of was a Mechanical Exo-Suit that had heavy weapons built in. Since the weapons are built in, several configurations are available.

For anti-infantry I was think of mounted Heavy Repeating Blasters.

For anti-vehicle, Blaster cannons, or high-impact, explosive rounds.

And for anti-aircraft/starfighter, Flak cannons.

Here are a few pics:

Exo-Suit w/ Flak Cannons (http://ps.crgaming.com/images/maxtr.jpg)

Exo-Suit w/ Heavy Repeating Blasters (http://gamechronicles.com/reviews/pc/planetside/max.gif)

Ideas? Comments?

Teleran Balades
Jun 2nd, 2004, 07:00:32 PM
To deal with the new threat of heavily armored Federacy threats and the age old complications of taking out bunkered soldiers and manned-turrets, especially in urban combat situations where tanks and artilery can't reach easily, military designers and engineers on Carida were challenged to come up with solution to this problem.

The result of their work is the Mechanized Assault Exo-Suit, dubbed MAX for short. These design are step-ups from the old battleframes. A MAX stands roughly 2.3-2.5 meters tall depending on configuration. Each suit is made up of heavy battleplate a few centimeters thick and have been given an energy reflective coating capable of capable of deflecting small arms fire. A transpiristeel canopy covers the top section of the suit, offering the soldier ("pilot") excellent protection while not hindering vision. Naturally each suit is extremly heavy and a norrmal pilot's strength alone cannot move the suit . The Max is equiped with a customized fusion reactor similar to the kind used with E-web Blasters and personal shield generators, to assist in operation and to supply an almost unlimited amount of ammunition for energy based weapons. While operating at full capacity, the users strength is nearly doubled, and maximum speed actually increased.

The armament for each configuration varies, but all have a weapon mounted on each arm. For anti-infantry puposes, the MAXs can be equiped with either Heavy Repeating Cannons or Scatter Cannons (a weapon that fires a spray of high impact rounds with a wide range). Anti-Vehiclular ordinance includes Blaster Cannons, Proton Grenade Launchers, Micro-missle Launchers, high-impact, explosive rounds for heavy rifles. In cases where anti-air support is need, the only option is to equips the suits with flak cannons. MAX units that non-energy weapons have more bulk because of the space required to hold large amounts of ammunition

Original testiing has yeiled a few minor problems that are being dealt with, the main one being weapons accuracy. Even with the suit's strength enhancement, it is difficult to keep the large weapons level while firing because of weight and recoil, especially with automatic weapons. To compensate, stabilizing anchors have been attached to the backside of the legs that can be deployed to brace the machine, cutting down on recoil.

(I'd like to test these in a combat situation pretty soon.)

Jarek T'chort
Jun 3rd, 2004, 08:04:46 AM
I think this is a very good idea considering what the FEDs have. For now, perhaps have one HAI embedded in a normal frontline infantry unit, to test just how effective the suit will be in combat conditions. After that, we could look at mass prodcution on Eriadu.

Teleran Balades
Jun 3rd, 2004, 05:59:02 PM
I was thinking of RPing a squad of five or six in Coup d'état, but I don't want to clutter up a storyline RP for testing purposes.