PDA

View Full Version : Shooter discussion

Lion El' Jonson
May 16th, 2004, 04:58:25 PM
I hope they keep the ability to kill off annoying characters in KOTOR 2. :lol

I enjoyed finishing off Mission...I just wish I'd gotten to do it sooner!

Incidentally, Halo 2 is looking incredible...but if these delays keep up, HL2 and Doom III are going to steal some of the fanbase.

Dasquian Belargic
May 18th, 2004, 02:13:03 AM
Doom III :lol ... that has been coming out for how long now? Is there actually a real release date on it now?

Lion El' Jonson
May 18th, 2004, 05:03:30 AM
Originally posted by Dasquian Belargic
Doom III :lol ... that has been coming out for how long now? Is there actually a real release date on it now?

I have this strange feeling Doom III jokes will begin just like the Daikatana ones...:lol

As for the release date, I hope it doesn't turn out to be a "It'll be done when it's done" kinda thing...because, once again, games like that end up like...Daikatana!

If you don't know what Daikatana is, then forgive me, and go look up "Romero's Downfall".

Morgan Evanar
May 18th, 2004, 06:34:36 AM
Originally posted by Lion El' Jonson
Incidentally, Halo 2 is looking incredible...but if these delays keep up, HL2 and Doom III are going to steal some of the fanbase. Halo 2 is for the X-Box, so they're not even competing for the same fan base. Since Halo 2 is a console shooter, and Doom III and HL2 are PC games that will probably be ported later, I don't see how its possible for them to compete. Unless Halo 2 is also coming for the PC, in which case, I don't care. The Halo 1 PC port was years two late and an abortion.

Marcus Telcontar
May 18th, 2004, 06:46:10 AM
Doom III is projected for this summer...?

Better than Duke Nukem Whenever. The greatest bit of Vapourware ever.

Dan the Man
May 18th, 2004, 10:51:10 AM
HL2 is the new DNF

Morgan Evanar
May 18th, 2004, 12:31:42 PM
Only its not, because I've um, seen, um, HL2. Same with, um, Doom 3. Neither are vaporware.

imported_J'ktal Anajii
May 18th, 2004, 01:09:10 PM
Um, isn't Doom III out now? I could swear I was looking at it at Best Buy the other day, and it was $49.99. The graphics looked okay, but honestly, the series has lost all appeal to me.

I want to shoot living, intelligent things. Not nightmare sombie mix-ups. Those just aren't as fun.

Morgan Evanar
May 18th, 2004, 01:57:31 PM
^ pre-order. And the static graphics are meh, but in motion, well...

Khendon Sevon
May 18th, 2004, 02:12:15 PM
According to PC Gamer Doom III will be coming out next month. Half-Life 2 still doesn't have a release date and Halo 2 has been pushed back--I have that pre-ordered.

Overall, however, I'd say I'm looking forward to playing HL2 the most. I've been playing HL and the various mods for it since it originally came out and it's just amazing what Valve does and how responsive they are to their community.

Morgan Evanar
May 18th, 2004, 02:23:03 PM
Honestly, I'm pretty suspicious if they can do it again. The technology, as before, is very sound. I'm not worried about that.

I am worried about the single player content, which looks promising, but everyone has been let down before.

The only game I've recently read about in a manner that has placated my fears is Thief 3. Everything else is up in the air.

Peter McCoy
May 24th, 2004, 02:09:28 PM
I can honestly say that Thief/Thief 2 is the most tense, scary game I've played. I'd even go as far to say it beats System Shock 2 on that note, for me personally. I find myself holding my breath when a guard walks past while I'm standing in the shadows. Hearing the guards looking for you is just brilliant, you don't know whether to stay put or make a run for it in case they get closer. Gawd I love that game!

More on topic though, I really am torn between Doom 3 and Half-Life 2. Both look gorgeous, and both are sequels to two of my favourite games ever. I guess I'll just have to get both; unfortunately that'll cost me £1000 plus :p

It'll depend on what mood I'm in which game I play. For more serious, concentrating, thinking-enjoyment, it'll be HL2 obviously. And for NHB-fragtastic bloody carnage and mayhem Doom 3 will be up. Although from what very little I've read, it seems there'll be more to D3 than just a pretty face. Anybody care to clarify?

Shawn
May 24th, 2004, 04:42:23 PM
Thief 3 is a definite purchase for me. I have a sneaking (zing!) suspicion that it won't live up to its predecessors, but still manage to be a pretty darn good game. If anything, I'll be buying it to finish up the story.

Doom 3 looks like it'll be scary and fun. They just shouldn't have started hyping it so early. I thought that the HL2 hype engine started at about the right time... and then it was delayed.

If Halo 2 isn't as mind-numbingly repetitive as the first game, it might be fun. But I think the original Halo is perhaps the very defintion of "mediocrity". Library level aside, the game was very repetitive - running through room after room that looked exactly the same, going back through levels you already ran through, etc. I think that these were all put there to artificially extend the length of the game, which would have been fairly short without them.

Darth007
May 24th, 2004, 08:59:06 PM
Yeah, the first half of Halo was fun becuse it you were in diverse outdoor environments, then it just seemed to drag on and get repetitive. It definately looks though that Halo 2 will be longer and have a larger outdoor environment instead of being contained inside the whole game.

Jared Mriad
May 24th, 2004, 09:27:51 PM
I'm content with Painkiller right now. Interesting weapons, bloody as hell, and a complete fragfest.

Morgan Evanar
May 24th, 2004, 09:30:58 PM
I didn't enjoy painkiller. It seems pointless. Its pretty, and frantic, and bloody.

Serious Sam used to be pretty, is frantic, and bloody. Its also delightfully absurd. Serious Sam x > Painkiller.

Jared Mriad
May 24th, 2004, 09:33:48 PM
Sure. Whatever. Your opinion.

Peter McCoy
May 25th, 2004, 06:56:56 AM
I like Painkiller, its gorgeous. I think its got a pretty cool idea to it to - taking on Lucifers 4 generals to avert a holy war - plus it inspired me for my portfolio the university I applied for asked me to submit - one of the tasks was a monologue in any style, situation etc of my choosing. I got into the university so thats where I'm off in September. I owe the game for that :)

However it does lack substance and its really repetitive. The only thing it really has going for it is plenty to kill and pretty visuals - luckily that keeps me playing it so I'm happy.

Zasz Grimm
Jun 13th, 2004, 07:56:39 PM
If your up for like 6-7 hours game play (dependant if you play hard mode, or easy mode; hard would be about 9 hours i'd imagine.) Rent or buy The Chronicles of Riddick. It was an awesome game, great action and voice actors (Vin Diesel, Ron Perlman, etc. )

plus it's just cool to stealth mode and knife someone in the sweetspot.