PDA

View Full Version : Help with Mozilla's Firefox 0.8

Sable
May 17th, 2004, 11:38:36 AM
I've been reading over the help files, faq and the website for Mozilla about the firefox 0.8 that I downloaded recently, and I'm either missing something or its just not on the website.

My fiance and I have our own domain and I haven't been able to log into our control panel for the past few days. I've emailed the domain host, and they logged into it just fine. I'm not sure if there is something in the firefox that I need to adjust or set up in order to be able to access our control panel, but so far nothing is working.

Yes, I am positive I'm entering the correct log in name and password, but it keeps popping up the sign in/password window over and over and over. If I just hit cancel, I see a page that says:

Access Denied
If you have lost your password, you can reset it by Clicking Here.

If your browser does not support HTTP Authentication, please use this form:
Username: Password: Login.

I've done it all and I still can't access it.

Any suggestions??

Lilaena De'Ville
May 17th, 2004, 11:45:51 AM
maybe you need the java plug-in?

Sable
May 17th, 2004, 12:04:07 PM
I dunno. Nothing pops up telling me I need that and I have one java plug in for viewing flash images and all that stuff. >.< I'm so confused!:cry

Morgan Evanar
May 17th, 2004, 12:52:53 PM
Who's your host?

Sable
May 17th, 2004, 01:08:20 PM
Host Domain is the name of it. I contacted them and they said that they were able to log in just fine. But I can't do anything :cry I mean, I can't even get in using IE.

Morgan Evanar
May 17th, 2004, 02:25:01 PM
Link to thier site?

Sable
May 17th, 2004, 06:25:29 PM
http://host-domain.net/ is the url.

How do I know if the browser we're using supports HTTP authentication?

imported_Marcus
May 17th, 2004, 06:32:07 PM
Originally posted by Sable
http://host-domain.net/ is the url.

How do I know if the browser we're using supports HTTP authentication?

It most certainly does. In fact, it supports Windows / AD authentication, which is one hell of a trick. Mozilla / firebird handles all proper protoccols, even Microsoft based ones. If it can log into an Exchange Server, believe me, whatever your ISP is using is a snap to Firefox.

Sable
May 17th, 2004, 07:11:42 PM
Okies. First, I want to thank y'all for the help and all that stuff. There seemed to be some missing strings of code that somehow got deleted when they did routine maintainence lately but I've managed to access the email and control panel once again on our domain.

I appreciate all of your responses and for not making fun of the chick who knows jack about the ins and outs of comps and operating systems :)

Kyle Raiden
May 18th, 2004, 12:52:58 AM
May seem like a really dumb question, but how do I make Mozilla my default browser? I keep getting pop-ups in IE still, as well as my yahoo and msn inboxes, if I click on the links my IM software gives me.

And yes, I am dumb. But I was up late, and I have an exam today. I'm allowed to be. :D

Arya Ravenwing
May 18th, 2004, 01:02:02 AM
Go to Preferences on your mozilla browser window - if you can't figure it out from there you aren't trying hard enough. ;)

j/k

Edit > Preferences = click on "Set as Default Browser"

Kyle Raiden
May 18th, 2004, 09:31:21 AM
Um...Preferences isn't in the Edit menu...

Edit:

Found it...the "Set as Default Browser" part was hiding in the Options bit

Lilaena De'Ville
May 18th, 2004, 10:01:53 AM
Well, it was on my Mozilla window, sorry, didn't mean to give you the wrong information.

Kyle Raiden
May 18th, 2004, 11:09:41 AM
I think my computer has some software installed that re-arranges all of my menus, so that I can't actually find anything. :(

Mean pc. :cry

Morgan Evanar
May 18th, 2004, 02:28:26 PM
Mozilla and Firefox have different top menu layouts. Firefox's is closer to IE's (Tools - Options), while Mozilla's is identical to Netcapes's (Edit - Preferences). Netscape is based on Mozilla, but it has a lot of crap floating around it.

Kyle Raiden
May 18th, 2004, 02:32:56 PM
Aaaah. Makes sense. I think. *thinks* Hmm. Maybe I don't think. It does make sense. It does...right? *falls over and dies, confused*

Morgan Evanar
May 18th, 2004, 02:38:01 PM
^please don't clutter the thread.

TheHolo.Net
May 20th, 2004, 11:41:32 PM
I desperately needed a break from studying for my CCNA certification, so I wrote up a little rant which may come in handy for some of those who have yet to make the switch to a Mozilla based browser or may be having other problems we see posted about here all too often. It can be found here: dotnet - funstuff (http://sw-fans.net/dotnet/funstuff.php). Feel free to add your own comments to the article if you like. More suggestions and recommendations could make some of our repetitive posts around here a little simpler by just linking to that article's comment page at this address in the future: http://sw-fans.net/dotnet/artlcom.php?&action=view&artid=2&table=dotnetfunstuff

Sable
May 21st, 2004, 08:39:24 AM
:) Thanks for the link. I feel bad now that I asked all those questions about our comp :cry but I kind of feel the need to insert an explanation of a few things in here.

People like me, and there are plenty out there, aren't as computer literate as many of the others. For myself, I'm scared to death that just about anything I do will somehow screw up the pc - and to be honest, though my fiance and I live together and are getting married, its his pc - he paid for it and had it long before we even met. I'd hate to mess up his/our comp.

I've tried reading some of the books and stuff out there about computers and the ins and outs of the internal workings, but some of the terminology is way over my head and it gets confusing quick.

People like me, the computer illiterates of the world, deeply appreciate having a place like SWFans to come to where we feel comfortable posting our repetative questions, knowing that those who are replying can be trusted and that they're going to help as best as they can.

We also understand that it gets to be annoying for the comp-techies here to answer the same questions over and over; and to try to make people like me understand that, for example, IE sucks and is full of security issues.

So please accept my sincerest thanks for all the help and information that you and others here have given freely to me in resolving my comp issues.

Also, I just wanted to state this:

Yes, I was scared to death to download firefox, but I finally did it and I'm really glad that I did. Its easy to use and its great to be able to browse the web without having annoying pop ups freezing everything up. There are no pop ups and when I ran my ad-aware recently, it didn't find anything! I was surprised because when we were using IE, ad-aware would find a minimum of 28 files each week. Some were trojans, others were worms and the rest were tracking cookies.

But now that we're using the firefox, we don't have that junk cluttering up our comp, pop up ads aren't harassing us every three minutes and finally - we are not the millionth visitor to the websites. :lol

And yes, there is a sense of relief when using the firefox to surf the web or to visit the few sites we visit daily, in knowing that our pc isn't being hacked into, infected or antagonized by those in the world who have nothing better to do.