PDA

View Full Version : The Most Beautiful Film I have Ever Seen.

Mitch
May 17th, 2004, 03:15:18 AM
What is the impact of a life?

What kind of legacy do we each leave by living every day?

How great is our love for our friends?

I have just seen the most powerful, moving film I have ever watched. It is Akira Kurosawa's final film before he died, and as far as I am concerned, it is his true masterwork. The title is simply "Madadayo," or "Not Yet."

It is not about samurai, or war, though it takes place partially during WWII, but about a professor who retires, and the love his students have for him. It is about all the bonds we make, and all we endure in real life, and how we each depend on each other. Life itself is celebrated in every facet, and the dept of character is unparalleled. I felt as if I deeply knew each character instantly, and if I hadn't, I would ahve wanted to know them very much. The warmth of friendship is felt simply by watching it, and the depths of sadness hit you very hard as well.

Madadayo is an epic of life. Everyday life. True relationships fourish onscreen, and in your own heart as you watch. Practical jokes are hilarious, even when minor, because you know the depth of meaning behind them. Personal tragedy is painful to witness, and the strength of character of friends, and sometimes true strangers is simpley staggering. At more than one point in Madadayo did my jaw fall open and I whispered, "Wow," simply because I was amazed at the true humanity I was watching.

I have never been so enthralled with a movie, and it had definitely edged out "Lawrence of Arabia" as my favorite film by a good margin. I reccomend it to everyone, everywehre. Though it might be hard to find, Madadayo is, quite simply, the greatest celebration of the human heart ever put on film. Buy this movie.