PDA

View Full Version : A Drifter's Thoughts (open to Jedi)

Kieran Devaneaux
May 15th, 2004, 10:19:49 PM
Kieran Devaneaux had spent the last seven years of his life wandering the spacelanes, hitching a ride with anyone he could find. He could not remember much about before he began this wandering - where he was from, who his family was, who had named him. The only reason he knew his name was because he had found it written on a picture of himself, somewhat younger than he had been. He still had it, in fact...but it gave him no answers to the questions he sought.

Since the age of sixteen, Kieran had decided to travel around, work on the ships he rode on (though the captains often wondered about this enigmatic, white-haired young man), and - hopefully - make enough money to get his own vessel and explore a bit. He had lost track of how many planets, how many ships, and how many different people he had seen in his travels. He often wondered if he was from any of the places he stopped, but no one seemed to recognize him. He was disappointed, but he hid it well as he continued from ship to ship, planet to planet, in search of his own past - and, perhaps, his future.

Now, seven years after his journey began, Kieran's "hitchhiking" brought him to the trading station on Arcan IV. He could not see the place all that well at first glance; his right eye was scratched out from a fight he did not quite remember, and all that was left was a milky white orb. His remaining blue eye darted back and forth, and sometimes he had to move his head from side to side to see everything. He saw that this place was bustling with activity. It was a change from the usual. Even Tatooine, which he had been to at least twice, was quiet and not-so-crowded. Probably because of the fact that no one in their right minds wanted to be outside longer than five minutes...

Perhaps I will find some answers here, Kieran thought. Or at least a place to work...it would beat the monotony of "Hi, will work for a ride to wherever you're headed. I'm a fairly good mechanic..." He sighed. Travelling the Rim is boring...perhaps I might stay here a while.

After thinking on it some more, he made his decision - he would find a place where he could earn the credits to get his own ship...and see more than just these same old Outer Rim trade routes. Careful to keep from bumping into anyone on his blind side, he began his search. He still glanced around nervously to see if anyone was watching him, or perhaps hunting him for whatever reason. He noticed the usual "Hmm, interesting guy" stares. "What's the matter, never seen a one-eyed man before?" he said, chuckling, to the people in question. They smiled and went off. Kieran shook his head. "People these days," he muttered.

Kieran Devaneaux
May 24th, 2004, 09:16:13 PM
As he made his way through the base, Kieran began to notice something....there were a LOT of Jedi around here on Arcan IV. Must be some sort of trading base for the Order...interesting.

Perhaps the Jedi had some answers to his past...and perhaps could help shape his future, too.

His eyes looked around, searching for someone who could be even remotely helpful. Perhaps a ride, or - even better - a way to find out whether his mysterious healing abilities were a sign of Force sensitivity...or just plain coincidence. The job search would wait.

Kieran seated himself against the wall and waited....

Malcolm Trippen
May 27th, 2004, 03:59:48 AM
Hmm, interesting guy, Malcolm thought as he watched the one-eyed figure sit down in the chair. He sipped his Corellian Brandy slowly, letting is slowly soothe its way down his throat.

Something in the back of Malcolm's mind tingled. It was a something that had been tingling the whole time he was here. And it tingled again, as he focussed on Kieran. I guess that's my Force mojo telling me he's sensitive.

He watched with a renewed interest. Seeing Jedi and Force-users on Arcan IV was like seeing Jawas on Tatooine. Of course you saw them; they were meant to be there. But there was something about this Kieran that Malcolm couldn't quite work out. He didn't fit in. He was like a Jawa that was a few inches too tall. The difference was there, but you had to work very hard to pick it out. And for the life of him, Malcolm couldn't work out what it was.

Malcolm scooped up his drink, and moved across the bar, dodging around Jedi who seemed very eager to leave. They always make lousy drinking buddies, he observed as he walked.

He stopped beside Kieran, and brushed some of the foam from his moustache with a finger. "Is it ok if I sit there, kid?"

Kieran Devaneaux
May 27th, 2004, 02:14:32 PM
Kieran's remaining eye studied this speaker. Seemed somewhat shorter than he, and at least 10 years older (hence the "kid" reference). Had that look to him, the look of a spacer. Must be a freighter captain....hmm, interesting. Perhaps he has a job, or maybe a way to find out more about the Jedi Order.... "Sure, have a seat. Not a lot of people come up to me these days....must be the enigma surrounding me...though it could be this." He taps the scar on his face lightly with his finger.

Malcolm Trippen
May 27th, 2004, 02:27:26 PM
"Actually," Malcolm said, sipping from his glass again, and folding himself into a seat, "You gave me a tingle." The blinked, wondering if there could have been a better way to say that. "The Force," he clarified. "You've got a slight aura."

He straightened up in the chair, stretching his shoulders. He was taller than he looked. He just hunched a lot. It was probably bad for his posture, but the damage had already done. If he wanted to do something about it, he was a little too late.

Malcolm rubbed a hand round the back of his neck, and winced a little against the stiffness. "So," he asked, setting his glass down on the table, "What brings you to this Jedi-infested lump of rock, anyway?"

Kieran Devaneaux
May 27th, 2004, 02:51:48 PM
"I'm a wanderer by nature; I hitch a ride on any ship I find. I am a semi-experienced mechanic...I don't understand all the technobabble, but I do know how to fix it. That's simpler." Kieran grinned. "So you felt a 'tingle', eh? It might explain something I've been wondering for over two years..." He explained briefly what had happened to the shipmate working on the hyperdrive on a freighter to the Corellian sector, and how the wound in the man's hand had healed when all Kieran was doing was applying external pressure in order to get bandages on it. "I always wondered whether it was the Force, or just a miracle that happens every so often."

Malcolm Trippen
May 28th, 2004, 10:41:41 AM
"Whatever it is," Malcolm said with a shrug, "Sounds like quite a talent."

He drank a little more of his Brandy, feeling the warmth spread around inside him. "So, where abouts are you hoping to wander to?" The Corellian smiled a little. "I'm Captain Trippen of the Socorro, by the way."

Kieran Devaneaux
May 28th, 2004, 03:15:04 PM
"I'm Kieran Devaneaux. Normally, I don't know where I want to go - I just go where the ships go. However..." He paused for a moment. "I am thinking of going to Coruscant, to possibly ask for Jedi training."

Malcolm Trippen
May 29th, 2004, 05:52:36 PM
"Coruscant? Really?" he said with a chuckle. "Just so happens that I'm heading your way, kid." He shrugged. "If you need a ride, I'd be happy to oblige. Maybe you can help keep my ship in one piece along the way."

Kieran Devaneaux
May 29th, 2004, 06:58:11 PM
"Of course. That's what I'm good at." Kieran grinned. "Your ship...I've heard the name before. A YT-2400, right?"

Alex
May 30th, 2004, 03:47:16 AM
Malcolm nodded. "Yeah...although I'm not surprised you've heard the name." He noticed Kieran's puzzled expression, and smiled. "Socorro is near Corellia...but it literally means 'scorched earth' in Old Corellian." Malcolm's eyes sparkled. "I haven't been home in a while, but I like to remind myself of where I'm from as much as possible." He took another swig of his Corellian Brandy. "What sphere of boredom do you call home?"

Kieran Devaneaux
May 30th, 2004, 10:34:14 AM
"I....I don't know. That's what I have been trying to find out for years...."