PDA

View Full Version : Smarty Jones wins Preakness

CMJ
May 15th, 2004, 04:53:06 PM
Yeah, so not many folks here care about horseracing...and we've been awful close to a Triple Crown winner a few times recently, so it's hard to get too amped up yet.

Saying that, this guy looks like the real deal. He won by 11 1/2 lengths today and made it look easy. Even when Funny Cide romped last year, he looked like he was going full out(which actually probably hindered his chances at the Belmont). SJ just rolled...like it was nothing.

The TC drought may finally be ending....

imported_Ambrose Braeden
May 15th, 2004, 05:18:03 PM
Originally posted by CMJ
Saying that, this guy looks like the real deal. He won by 11 1/2 lengths today and made it look easy.

I know, I had caught that race on TV and was amazed.

CMJ
May 15th, 2004, 05:24:31 PM
I'm supposed to be in a wedding the day of the Belmont. It doesn't start till 7 - so I should be okay with watching the race. I'll show up late to the wedding if need be though. ;)

imported_Ambrose Braeden
May 15th, 2004, 05:31:36 PM
Originally posted by CMJ
I'm supposed to be in a wedding the day of the Belmont. It doesn't start till 7 - so I should be okay with watching the race. I'll show up late to the wedding if need be though. ;)

:lol LOL

CMJ
May 15th, 2004, 05:39:56 PM
Originally posted by Ambrose Braeden
:lol LOL

You think I'm kidding. I've been waiting for a TC winner my whole life. I don't wanna jinx anything, but dang....

Looking out at this year's 3 year old crop I don't know who can beat him.

Figrin D'an
May 15th, 2004, 11:48:12 PM
The biggest advantage Smarty Jones has that the other recent Triple Crown threats haven't had is a relatively weak field of opponents. Yeah, he's an impressive horse, but so was Funny Cide last year, and Silver Charm several years back. They both had stiffer competition, and had to push in the Preakness to win, which (probably) ultimately cost them the Belmont. As was mentioned, Smarty Jones didn't appear as though he was pushing in the Preakness today, even though he won by such a large margin.

Of the recent slew of horses to win the first two legs of the Triple Crown, Smarty Jones probably has a best shot of finishing the trick out of any of them. If he doesn't win it, it'll probably be another 10 years before the conditions are right for another horse to really have this good a shot at it.

CMJ
May 16th, 2004, 09:35:54 AM
He's definitely benefitting from a weaker slew of horses than say...Real Quiet did. He's not putting up spectacular times, but it's not like he's had to either.

I do think Rock Hard Ten might be a worthy adversary if they both race as 4 year olds. RHT is going to only get better.

Saying that Smarty is really impressive. Maybe the best 3 year old I've seen since Sunday Silence.

jjwr
May 16th, 2004, 02:34:46 PM
I'm not a horse racing fan at all, as part of the Sports Center generation I do follow things as they happen though and would like to see the triple crown.

One question I do have, do horses typically only race the big ones in their 3rd year?

If Funny Cide was 3 last year why not race again this year? Past his prime already?

CMJ
May 16th, 2004, 03:50:29 PM
Originally posted by jjwr
One question I do have, do horses typically only race the big ones in their 3rd year?

If Funny Cide was 3 last year why not race again this year? Past his prime already?

The "Classics" which are the Derby, Preakness, and Belmont are only open to 3 year olds. When horses are 2 they only run against other 2 year olds. They're basically like teenagers then.

When horses turn 3 they are able to compete against older horses, but most don't until late in their 3 year old season. This is because the best 3 year olds are prepping for the Classics...then racing in them. And the lesser 3 year olds don't wanna race against older horses until they have to.

Horses typically reach their peak between 3 and 4...and stay about the same until they're about 6. Funny Cide is still racing, he won the Excellsior Handicap at Aquaduct about a month ago.

Dalethria Mal Pannis
May 16th, 2004, 09:15:22 PM
I know nothing about horses as well.. but neither did my mom. So what happens when she bets on her first kentucky derby.. she places money on Smary Jones and wins :lol

Other then that, I have nothing to contribute to this thread :D

CMJ
May 16th, 2004, 09:30:28 PM
Originally posted by Dalethria Mal Pannis
I know nothing about horses as well.. but neither did my mom. So what happens when she bets on her first kentucky derby.. she places money on Smary Jones and wins :lol

The first time I went to the track I won on 4 of my first 6 bets. Since then, I'm lucky if I get half of them right.