PDA

View Full Version : The day after tomorrow

imported_Ambrose Braeden
May 13th, 2004, 12:04:06 PM
I have heard some good things about this movie. I had watched the ten minute preview last night and thought it was awseome and made me want to go see the movie.

Anbira Hicchoru
May 13th, 2004, 12:09:59 PM
looks terrible. No thanks.

Navaria Tarkin
May 13th, 2004, 12:26:41 PM
Originally posted by Anbira Hicchoru
looks terrible. No thanks.

^^^ there ya go

Lilaena De'Ville
May 13th, 2004, 01:01:45 PM
hehe I wanna see it. :)

Jubei SaDherat Vader
May 13th, 2004, 01:22:44 PM
I don't know what I think about it really. It has the potential to be good, but also to be bad. I think I'll just wait until it comes out on DVD.

Droo
May 13th, 2004, 01:45:02 PM
I think it looks awesome and with Jake Gyllenhaal and Ian Holm in it, I can't possibly refuse. :D

darth_mcbain
May 13th, 2004, 02:33:17 PM
I think it looks like a typical "leave your brain at the door" action flick - but I'll actually probably end up going to see it - it could be fun...

Figrin D'an
May 13th, 2004, 02:46:01 PM
Decent book that will probably suck as a film.

JMK
May 13th, 2004, 08:13:58 PM
I like destruction in movies. I'm in. :)

Jedi Master Carr
May 13th, 2004, 08:50:00 PM
I think it looks totally implausiable and I am not sure about the Emmerich (he is the director) he is a bad director, he lucked out on ID4 but has only done one decent movie since and that was the Patriot.

CMJ
May 13th, 2004, 09:43:41 PM
Originally posted by Jedi Master Carr
I think it looks totally implausiable and I am not sure about the Emmerich (he is the director) he is a bad director, he lucked out on ID4 but has only done one decent movie since and that was the Patriot.

He's only done 2 flicks since Independence Day. So to say he's only done 1 decent movie since is kind of unfair. Not a very big sample.

Jedi Master Carr
May 13th, 2004, 09:47:31 PM
Well I thought he directed the Thirteen Floor and 8-Legged Freaks (both very bad movies) I was wrong he just produced those although it doesn't say much about his judgment. Really my problem with the movie is the whole thing just seems very impossible. I mean Aliens are one thing, it is unlikely but at least I can take it, but climatical changes in a matter of 24 hours seems way out there.

CMJ
May 13th, 2004, 09:53:23 PM
Hey man...Thirteenth Floor was pretty underrated. Not great, but I thought it was pretty good. The studio dumped it though.

Jedi Master Carr
May 13th, 2004, 10:02:17 PM
Heh I watched half of it and got bored don't remember much about i other than that. Eight Legged freaks was a POC though.

Lilaena De'Ville
May 14th, 2004, 04:02:55 PM
omg 8 Legged Freaks is the most hilarious monster movie. :D I loved it - total cheese.

Jarek T'chort
May 14th, 2004, 04:23:27 PM
How can many times can you watch Manhattan get blown up/flooded etc? Seems to be a staple of Emmerichs' films.

Master Yoghurt
May 14th, 2004, 05:49:51 PM
Well, IMO all of the recent nature catastrophe movies have been fairly poor. At least, this one have different themes of destruction which makes it kinda interesting. I agree though, that the short time span make it seem very unrealistic. I think the biggest error would be trying to develop too many storylines, instead of focusing on the main plot. I have to say though, the concept is pottentially far more appealing than other disaster movies I have seen.

imported_Ambrose Braeden
May 14th, 2004, 08:05:50 PM
Originally posted by Master Yoghurt
I have to say though, the concept is pottentially far more appealing than other disaster movies I have seen.

I have to agree there. I think that this movie is going to be better that all of the other disaster movies that I have seen over the years.

Marcus Telcontar
May 14th, 2004, 08:07:58 PM
The director did ID4?

I'm now hereby avoiding at all costs. ID4 is rancid.

Jedi Master Carr
May 14th, 2004, 08:12:33 PM
Well I liked ID4 I thought it was a very good popcorn film, heck it made over 800 million WW somebody must have liked it.

Crystal
May 14th, 2004, 08:16:27 PM
Originally posted by Ambrose Braeden
I have to agree there. I think that this movie is going to be better that all of the other disaster movies that I have seen over the years.

Even if it's better, the idea is so worn out I can't even bear to think about sitting through another movie about this type of thing. It was "in" a few years ago , and I saw way too many movies like this.

Phantom
May 14th, 2004, 08:19:09 PM
I wasn't a huge fan of ID4, I thought it had too much hype surrounding it for not that good of a movie, not to mention I highly dislike Will Smith. Think he's a terrible actor. Anyways, I saw the trailer and it doesn't look all that bad. As Darth McBain said " Check your brains at the door. " lol. So we'll see.

CMJ
May 14th, 2004, 08:37:49 PM
Best recent disastor flick...The Perfect Storm. Really good, bordering on great movie for my money.

I'm pretty intrigued by TDAT, but we'll see how good it turns out to be.

imported_Ambrose Braeden
May 14th, 2004, 09:21:42 PM
Originally posted by Crystal
Even if it's better, the idea is so worn out I can't even bear to think about sitting through another movie about this type of thing. It was "in" a few years ago , and I saw way too many movies like this.

Well yeah...But you never know...

Originally posted by CMJ
Best recent disastor flick...The Perfect Storm. Really good, bordering on great movie for my money.

Yeah that one is really good. One of my favorites.

JMK
May 15th, 2004, 11:09:18 AM
The Perfect Storm was very good. I really enjoyed it.
ID4 was an action flick, nothing more, and like JMC said, it did make 800 million world wide, somebody went to see it, and probably more than once.

CMJ
May 15th, 2004, 11:36:35 AM
Independence Day was wildly inconsistent. I grade it this way...

July 2nd(first act) - 4 stars, Great stuff
July 3rd(2nd act) - 3 1/2 stars, kinda hokey, but still fun
July 4th(3rd act) - 2 stars, I would've even graded it lower, but the President's speech is worth about a full star

In other words, a really good popcorn flick till the lame as hell ending. Still a decent check your brain movie - but it had much more potential than that.

darth_mcbain
May 15th, 2004, 01:27:58 PM
Originally posted by CMJ
the President's speech is worth about a full star

LOL CMJ - I think you're being generous there... That speech is so cheesy you just can't help but love it... :)

CMJ
May 15th, 2004, 02:13:30 PM
Originally posted by Darth McBain
LOL CMJ - I think you're being generous there... That speech is so cheesy you just can't help but love it... :)

Hey, it IS cheesy, but it's delivered with enough flair that it works. Up until that one dude salutes the President anyways. That's pretty much the point where the flick goes into the garbage. Everything after that doesn't measure up.

imported_Ambrose Braeden
May 15th, 2004, 02:19:08 PM
Originally posted by CMJ
Up until that one dude salutes the President anyways. That's pretty much the point where the flick goes into the garbage. Everything after that doesn't measure up.

LOL.:lol Yeah. That was one of the best parts of the show, but it kinda sucked from then on.

darth_mcbain
May 15th, 2004, 02:49:30 PM
He's just so darn serious when he does that salute it makes me bust out laughing... :lol

Lilaena De'Ville
May 15th, 2004, 03:16:36 PM
Originally posted by CMJ

But the difference between The Perfect Storm and the other 'disaster' movies is that The Perfect Storm is a true story. Granted, most of what happens on the boat is made up, since no one knows for sure what was going on, but still, true events.

Jedi Master Carr
May 15th, 2004, 04:21:45 PM
Well I liked the Randy Quaid bit of crashing into the ship. I also liked Will smith and Goldblum as they are trying to leave the Mothership that was funny.

imported_Ambrose Braeden
May 15th, 2004, 05:15:42 PM
Originally posted by Jedi Master Carr
I also liked Will smith and Goldblum as they are trying to leave the Mothership that was funny.

Yeah...I have to agree.

ReaperFett
May 16th, 2004, 03:32:29 PM
Independance Day was utter rubbish, but watchable and funny rubbish. I used to know the whole speech, that was my sad little geek thing :)

The difference with this is the trailer doesn't have the fun factor. Independance Day, it looked a good laugh. This almost looks depressing by comparison.

Jedi Master Carr
May 16th, 2004, 10:01:35 PM
Yeah ID4 was just a fun movie, I can't see a good ending coming out of this movie, heck it looks the world is coming to an end in it.

Anbira Hicchoru
May 17th, 2004, 05:28:07 PM
Lets send a computer virus to the ice age storm :cool

Mu Satach
May 17th, 2004, 05:53:33 PM
Originally posted by Anbira Hicchoru
Lets send a computer virus to the ice age storm :cool

Now that's a movie I'd pay to see! :smokin

Originally posted by CMJ
a really good popcorn flick till the lame as hell ending.
Amen! God I was so ticked off walking out of the theater...

Sanis Prent
May 17th, 2004, 05:56:12 PM
Originally posted by Mu Satach
Now that's a movie I'd pay to see! :smokin

SEND SPIKE_

SPIKE SENT_

CMJ
May 17th, 2004, 06:03:27 PM
Amen! God I was so ticked off walking out of the theater...

I was more like "WTF, I was digging the hell out of that movie - and all the sudden it went into the crapper".

imported_Marcus
May 17th, 2004, 06:06:50 PM
Originally posted by CMJ
I was more like "WTF, I was digging the hell out of that movie - and all the sudden it went into the crapper".

It went into the crapper a long time before that. It was cool while they were blowing crap up. Once they attempted character development and talked.... it decended into hell. I would say that after the money shot,t he White House being blwon up, it sucked hard.

Jedieb
May 17th, 2004, 07:01:13 PM
The movie will umderwhelm the B.O. because of the Curse of Dennis Quaid!!! Interspace tested through the roof years ago and Quaid cursed it. He lost 300lbs (really, he did!) to play Doc Holiday, gave a great performance, but Costner's Wyatt Earp still could not escape The Curse. And let's not forget how he ended Mark Hammil's movie career with The Nights the Lights Went Out in Georgia. Poor Quaid, poor anyone who makes a movie with him.>D

Mu Satach
May 17th, 2004, 07:04:52 PM
Are you sure it wasn't Costner that cursed the Wyatt Earp film? ;)

CMJ
May 17th, 2004, 07:08:15 PM
Originally posted by Marcus
It went into the crapper a long time before that. It was cool while they were blowing crap up. Once they attempted character development and talked.... it decended into hell. I would say that after the money shot,t he White House being blwon up, it sucked hard.

I disagree. Besides...most of your character development was in the first act anyways.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
May 17th, 2004, 07:55:18 PM
Are you sure it wasn't Costner that cursed the Wyatt Earp film? ;)

This is actually what happened, since Costner hasn't made a good movie since 1990.

Loki Ahmrah
May 17th, 2004, 08:38:26 PM
Has anyone actually seen this film yet?

Kieran Devaneaux
May 17th, 2004, 09:34:38 PM
Not yet....not sure if I want to, either. These "post-apocalypse" type of movies don't appeal to me. The notable exception was The Postman. Sure, Costner hasn't made a decent movie since Dances With Wolves, but this was okay. The reason: Because Will Patton is a hell of a lot better actor than Costner. Nuff said.

-Josh aka Kieran

CMJ
May 17th, 2004, 09:50:01 PM
Costner was in Thirteen Days in '00 which was a terrific movie.

Kieran Devaneaux
May 17th, 2004, 09:52:08 PM
Almost forgot about that one. Thank you!

CMJ
May 26th, 2004, 08:52:52 PM
I made mention of this review in the HP thread. While I don't always agree with Mr. Poland's views on movies(and he's more of an entertainment journalist than critic anyways) he writes some of the most honest straight from the hip reviews around. Like I said - I don't always agree with him, and sometimes vehementily disagree with him. But based on this and some buzz around Los Angeles, I think he may be on to something, so I post his thoughts in his column today

The Disaster The Day After Tomorrow

I want to start this piece with a sincere tribute to the team over at Fox. I cannot recall a single movie during my decade covering the film business - or even in decades of movie loving - that has been made to look as good as The Day After Tomorrow for as long as Team Fox has made this thing look good and which turned out to be as truly horrible a movie as this thing is. I'm not kidding. (I'm being a smart <smallfont color={hovercolor}>-Censored-</smallfont>, but I'm not kidding.)

No one at Fox will soon acknowledge just how bad they know this movie is... but they know. They must have known for months. Like Universal did with Van Helsing, Fox execs took a risk with a commercial writer/director who has delivered in the past and who had an idea about taking a traditional genre and pumping up the volume. And when it was clear that that roll of the dice came up snake eyes, Team Fox did what few studios are willing to do, since it is just so very unpleasant… they put one of their big summer movies under uber-lockdown.

It was an act of genius. Because it is now Wednesday, less than 48 hours before The Day After Tomorrow is to be unleashed on the world, and no one sees the tsunami that is about to smash into American moviegoers. If they started screening this film early or - heaven forbid! - tested it, the storm clouds would have been gathering for months and there would be a real threat to the four-day opening weekend. But unlike some films that might have been helped by testing or early screening, The Day After Tomorrow could only be helped by reconstructing the entire story so that it offered narrative logic, emotional interest, and/or the slightest hint of a sense of humor.

As it is, the only earthquake you'll feel is the natural sensurround of people snoring in their seats through the second act (waking them would be unkind) and then again in the third act as people run for the exits when the boredom becomes too excruciating to bear. But come next Monday afternoon, you can be sure that more than $60 million will be in the Fox piggy bank and that is a remarkable achievement indeed.

Unlike the smarmy jackass at FoxNews.com who ran a blistering review of the film yesterday because he was not given a ticket to the opening night party, my shock at this film required no hard feelings against Fox. As far as I'm concerned, they treat the media as well as any studio and sometimes better. I genuinely like the team over there and sympathize with them, since this is the ugliest moment for the studio since Myra Breckenridge… well, since no one seems to remember Freddy Got Fingered anymore.

The trouble with this movie is classically Roland Emmerich. I may be the first person you read who compares this film unfavorably to Godzilla, but I won't be the last. But the problem is very much the same. Ememrich is a guy who makes big dumb movies who desperately wants to bring a reality to them. But that would require an act of genius. Emmerich knows what he's doing behind the camera, but he is not a directing or writing genius.

As we now know, no one really cares why Godzilla is attacking New York and no one really cares whether an ice age can come to the northern United States in a few weeks. What they care about it watching stuff get destroyed in a really cool way by really cool people. And besides the endless time wasted in both films explaining why the nonsensical makes sense, neither film has had a single human character as compelling as the characters played by ID4's Will Smith, Jeff Goldblum, Randy Quaid, Harvey Fierstein, Viveca Fox, Robert Loggia or even Bill Pullman.

This speaks to the cardinal lesson of Summer 2004… Less is More. Think about how limited the effects in ID4 really were. They blew up buildings. There were some cool creatures, all done with puppets, I believe. But the human beings carried the film. In The Day After Tomorrow, the actors don't stand a chance… they have nothing to do… they have no opportunity to deliver real heroism… they are tertiary characters.

Dennis Quaid plays a paleoclimatologist. Really! If you think that the big word is the problem, try defining it! Can any of you identify with a paleoclimatologist? Wouldn't you be a lot more likely to connect to a weatherman?

The other huge problem with the film is that it manages to move along both too fast and too slowly all in one movie. It doesn't help that the film apologizes for its own unreality in that first act, as we keep being told that what we know we are about to witness couldn't happen in our lifetime, couldn't happen in 20 years, couldn't happen in six years and couldn't happen in six weeks… all before it happens in six days.

Then, once it happens - and here is a consumer report… virtually everything you have seen and loved in trailers and commercials happens in the first act and never reoccurs later - there is a lot of waiting. But what are we really waiting for?

Things are so utterly unrelenting that as Dennis Quaid goes on his ridiculous trek to the Manhattan Public Library, there is no sense of anticipation for the audience to grasp onto. Then, as he finally arrives, as the sun comes out - yes, the sun comes out a few days into our next ice age - you realize that if he had just waited a day or two, he could have choppered into New York, no problem. I guess a paleoclimatologist wouldn't have thought about that. (A weatherman would have!)

There are all kinds of tiny deaths in this film that are not quite horrifying enough for The Day After Tomorrow to be the Springtime For Hitler of summer movies. There is the sick bald child, whose illness and medical needs are never explained. There are the morons who burn books instead of wood shelves. There is the wardrobe malfunction from the normally reliable Renee April, who didn't seem to realize that a bunch of brunettes bundled up in lost & found clothes by a fire would look like they were in a badly cast high school production of Fiddler On The Roof. (I kept waiting for Jake Gyllenhaal to break out in "Anatevka… Anatevka…") The CG wolves are irritatingly CG. Why is Jake almost drowning by using a payphone when a cell phone works just minutes later. (And why are cell phones working in this kind of weather?)

There is a moment where the lyricism of the idea of much of the United States being frozen over is ripe. At one point on the Quaid quest, the trio is threatened by the glass ceiling of a mall. But the only thing that we get is the survival (or failure to survive) from that experience. What about the massive tribute to mindless consumerism that a mall is? Isn't nature forcing us to give up what came too easy poignant? Instead, we get overwrought speeches about the Guttenberg Bible.

I was stunned by this movie… really. It was beyond any expectation of failure. And I didn't feel that way about Godzilla at all. I felt that movie had some cool stuff in it, even if it didn't really work. But even in that film, we had Hank Azaria as the pathetic comic relief. If there is a single sin that damns The Day After Tomorrow to hell even more profoundly than the others, it is its utter lack of humor. It is so bad that even trademark Emmerich gags didn't draw any laughs in the screening I attended. That silence was deafening.

Remember, the turning point in ID4 was when the humans stopped reacting to the alien threat and started taking aggressive action. This film doesn't allow for that moment. It could easily have been a first act of destruction, a second act of survival and a third act of a father trying to recover his son who everyone else assumes is dead.

Fortunately, we have Harry Potter and Tom Hanks coming to our movie rescue. And if you need something sooner and enjoy coarse humor, take a ride on the Soul Plane this weekend. But if I were at Fox this week, I'd be praying for an ice age that would bury me alive and thaw me out next week, because the global warming on this film is about to get as hot as any we've seen in a long time.

Master Yoghurt
May 27th, 2004, 09:17:58 PM
By the sound of that review, it seems like a real stinker.

Lilaena De'Ville
May 28th, 2004, 11:46:42 PM
I just got back from seeing it - it wasn't as bad as the reviewer said it was. Not perfect, but I enjoyed it very much. :)

Madmartigan
May 29th, 2004, 01:16:33 AM
I disagree, I liked Tin Cup in 1996 by Costner and last years Open Range was pretty good

Sanis Prent
May 29th, 2004, 09:53:54 AM
Open Range SUCKED, dude. Horrible and boring.

JMK
May 29th, 2004, 09:53:27 PM
Just saw TDAT, it was ok, aside from the actual storms/ensuing destruction, I had a hard time getting into it. I thought the ending fell FLAT on it's face. That being said, the storm was great to watch.

Lilaena De'Ville
May 29th, 2004, 10:37:45 PM
The part about the end that I hated was all the people suddenly appearing on rooftops and the huge helicopters coming in. All of a sudden. Like - why was it so important that all the MOST IMPORTANT THINGS HAPPENED OFFSCREEN!?

For example: the death of Frank, the death of Bilbo and his two cronies in England, the death of the President and the motorcade. Actually the motorcade incident is my biggest problem - it happened in the space of ONE SECOND. One minute the President is the last to leave Washington (yeah right in what emergency does the President leave last?) and then the next second the VP is being told the entire motorcade was lost. WHAT? When did that happen?

But yes, the storm was awesome to watch. I got a discount ticket, so it was worth the price of admission. ;)

JMK
May 30th, 2004, 07:36:38 AM
The end just seemed hastily put together to me.

And I agree with you about the folks on the rooftops. Though there were only handfulls of them, I'm not sure if every building in NYC has a fireplace with things to burn.

Lilaena De'Ville
May 30th, 2004, 05:18:16 PM
And the point made in the review in this thread is true - why weren't they burning furniture and shelves? Sure, books for paper to start the fires, but doesn't wood burn longer than paper? o_O And when they rushed in and were trying to keep the fire burning, the way they were throwing more books on it looked like they were going to smother it, in which case they'd be screwed.

Severen Morkonis
May 30th, 2004, 11:10:37 PM
Originally posted by JMK
The end just seemed hastily put together to me.

And I agree with you about the folks on the rooftops. Though there were only handfulls of them, I'm not sure if every building in NYC has a fireplace with things to burn.

No but atleast one of eatch group most likely had a lighter or something of that kind, matches and theres enough paper in those office blocks to keep warm with.

Yeah i saw it, i thought it was just your traditional, old, disartster movie. I felt they left out a hell of alot to leave to the imagination such as Bilbos and the others guys deaths...did they die or did they manage to live through it? some of the northan states of America had a chance according to the climateitologist so i'd say Scotland was almost on par depending where in scotland of course.

They missed out the Presidents Motercade and so on and so fourth.

In the end i liked it enough to be satisfied with it, just not enough to say...wow, that was cool.

Lilaena De'Ville
May 31st, 2004, 12:59:38 AM
Cool? It was freeeeezing. And Scotland is a lot narrower than say, the northern United States. If the storm in Canada was snap-freezing everything in the center of it, then states like say...everything west of New York should have been safe from the flash-freezing. The extreme west coast might have been in danger from the Siberian 'eye' but we'll never know.

Morgan Evanar
May 31st, 2004, 02:02:56 PM
It was incredibly lame and I suspect the movie's message will backfire because it was terrible.

Did I mention it was awful, even though I saw it for free?

Right. Not because of the hokey, terrible science, but because it was so generic. Hey guys, lets have the President die so the jerk VP can repent.

PS the cold is not a fast growing white algae.

Saarrreeaa Meorrrei
May 31st, 2004, 03:13:09 PM
Spoiler tags?

Morgan Evanar
May 31st, 2004, 04:05:47 PM
I would have added them in the first place but no one should waste thier money on this movie. I didn't.

imported_Firebird1
Jun 3rd, 2004, 04:50:58 PM
I would also like my money back...

The movie was ok except for the few 20 min blocks of time that seperated the good parts... there were 5 of them! Yes 5.... either that or they could of shown a blank screen! After all there are better ways of spending six bucks.

ReaperFett
Jun 17th, 2004, 08:12:46 AM
You know when you see a movie which you think was good except for a few parts which ruined it? Welcome to The Day After Tommorow. CGI dogs? Outrunning a cold front? the "moral of this story" ending? Cancer kid subplot? OUTRUNNING A COLD FRONT?

Siek, Bilbo, the guy from Hustle and the Manchester United fan died. the point at the end of their piece was they were out of fuel, thus had no warmth. I did notice on little error (I think it was anyway" though. Guy from Hustle sent his wife and kid to Spain, and the big thing was that they'd be safe. At the end, Spain is frozen. I don't think they meant that :)

As for the President, I think they didn't show his death because of the fact that the VP was clearly a parody of Cheny, thus meaning in some peoples eyes that it would be killing Bush on screen. That could open a whole can of worms, so they'd play it safe. Indeed, they made the President look quite heroic in it, staying til the end.

On the more positive side, they had a new commercial for the Orange Mobile Phones. I love those adverts :D

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 14th, 2004, 08:40:55 PM
I just saw it on DVD I have to say it was okay. The SFX were very good not sure if it will get oscar nominated or not (I think Spiderman 2 and Harry Potter are shoeins for two nods, personally I think Sky Captain had better effects that DAT but that is my opinio) Anyway about the film, my problem is it is just impossible which knawed at me the whole time. I gave it a fare shot and some of the storylines were okay like Dennis Quaid's and that but the premise just kept bothering me. I liked it some what but defintely not enough to buy it.