PDA

View Full Version : Troy

Zasz Grimm
May 11th, 2004, 05:40:34 AM
Who's ready for this friday? I have plans to catch the matinee around 4:30.

This movie is seriously going to rock.

Figrin D'an
May 11th, 2004, 07:24:53 AM
I have some reservations, since virtually anything in the story involving the Greek gods will be missing. How they then explain Achilles, I have no idea. Hopefully, it's just actual appearances by the gods that were cut, rather than the overall supernatural facet of the story.

I'll see it, but probably not opening weekend.

darth_mcbain
May 11th, 2004, 08:21:05 AM
I haven't heard much good about it - but then again, critics are just people with opinions - I'll wait until I hear more on the boards to see if it sounds like something to see in the theaters or to wait for DVD on...

Phantom
May 11th, 2004, 08:35:02 AM
I can't wait to see it friday. It looks like it should be good.

Wasn't Odyssus(sp) in the battle of troy?

Jedi Master Carr
May 11th, 2004, 11:19:17 AM
I have no problem keeping out the gods, one it complicates the story and it makes it hard to tell in a 2.5 time. Second I think they are treating it like a historical event, which it was partly. There was a Troy and it was sacked by Greek forces at some point, so that part really doesn't bother me.

JMK
May 11th, 2004, 11:38:55 AM
Having the supernatural element of Troy left out bothers me in the same way the Scouring of the Shire was left out of RotK--that's not the story. I think that in this day of quick fixes and instant gratification, most people, especially younger people will watch Troy, (and LotR) and believe that is exactly has the story has been for centuries (decades for LotR) when in fact it isn't. It's a good representation, but not quite what the author had written.

Jedi Master Carr
May 11th, 2004, 11:58:00 AM
Well I don't think they could make it work it would be too long, plus it could come off corny like Clash of the Titans or something.

JMK
May 11th, 2004, 12:15:43 PM
Yeah I could see it come off as tacky, and possibly too long, but as long as people knew that it wasn't the complete story, that's fine.

Zasz Grimm
May 12th, 2004, 02:07:29 AM
Originally posted by Jedi Master Carr
Well I don't think they could make it work it would be too long, plus it could come off corny like Clash of the Titans or something.

that movie was awesome, IMO. I think they'll do rather well with it, as they've let larger things out of bigger movies before. Then again, look at the all-star cast they have. And I don't mean just brad pitt and orlando bloom, eric bana, etc.

I mean... people like Brian Cox (original hannibal lector, in X2, etc.) and Brendan Gleeson (hamish in braveheart.)

they've got some awesome people. i cant wait.

Ryan Pode
May 12th, 2004, 12:56:55 PM
I think they'll include the gods, but they won't come right out directly and say it. More of subtle hints and stuff, that the moe younger/dumber crowd won't notice and won't care if it is missing.

Jedi Master Carr
May 12th, 2004, 04:28:43 PM
Do you mean Clash of the Titans? Because that film is very cheesy but that is my opinion. Also so far the reviews haven't been great 52% on RT of course I still will go see it opening night.

Crystal
May 12th, 2004, 06:12:35 PM
I totally forgot about Troy. It out this friday? I'm going to go see it. Brad Pitt with longer hair = yum

imported_Ambrose Braeden
May 13th, 2004, 12:00:30 PM
I cant wait until Troy comes out. I have heard nothing but good reviews by critics on the movie and by friends.

Zasz Grimm
May 14th, 2004, 05:50:38 PM
Man, I just got back from seeing this and I was awed. I thought it was an awesome flick. I went in there, expecting an epic, and got exactly that. Brad Pitt as Achilles was phenomonal. I'll post more in depth review later, when others post.

but wow, just wow.

Master Yoghurt
May 14th, 2004, 05:51:53 PM
Sounds great. Keep the reviews and feedback comming :)

Phantom
May 14th, 2004, 08:09:01 PM
Saw it this afternoon, damn good.

Though there was one thing in particular that I didn't sit to well with me.

When Hector faught Achilles near the end, they made Hector IMO look weak and not much like the great warrior he was supposed to be. He was off balance for a great deal of the battle, and swung extremely to wide, and he stumbled around to much.
Not to mention he didn't even draw blood on Achilles even once. Just my thoughts.

I guess besides that it was a good movie. Pitt and Bana did an excellent job, as did Bloom. The battle scenes were pretty good, I would say just under Gladiators. All in all I would give it a 6 or 7 out of 10.

Unfortunately I have not read the Iliad so I have nothing to compair it to. Though I do have a question about the book, or rather a part within it.

Does Hector actually die in the book? and if so was it Achlles who killed him? And does Paris kill Achilles?

I guess now I'll have to read the book, lol.

Jedi Master Carr
May 14th, 2004, 08:49:59 PM
Yes
that is the way it happened in the story the only differences that I say were the following, Menealus doesn't get killed by Hector in fact him and Helen ended up back together. Agamemnon wasn't killed by Briese but by his own wife when he got home, I personally don't mind that because they had to show him die he was portrayed as too evil to just live and not get explained what happened to him. The other big change was Paris and Helen it wasn't explained what happened to them, in the book Helen ends up back with Menealus and Paris dead instead they made ambigious which I guess is better than showing them together somewhere but still. Okay enough nit picking about the movie. I liked it it was a good epic film the acting was good with the best jobs being done by Bana, O'Toole, Cox and Bean, Pitt did a good job just not a great one. Orlando Bloom just didn't fit the Paris character, Bloom just can't play weakling characters, which Paris is. The best moment Paris had was towards the end when he showed some courage that might be out of character for him though :p and Helen was just awful sure she looked good but I wish they had cast a better actress to be more compelling, but oh well the movie was still great and I loved it except for a few minor problems. Finally one my favorite moments outside the action sequences was towards the end Paris has the sword of Troy and he is letting people out of the city through the secert passage way and he tells Helen he can't go and then he gives the the sword to this young guy holding up his father, he asks him for his name, and the young man says its Aneais, and Paris tells him to take the sword and career on the legacy of Troy. Ironically Aneais, according to myth and legend, goes to Italy and founds a settlement with what was left of the Trojan people and later on this city become Rome, who went on and conquered the Greeks, I just thought that was a cool reference for us history buffs :p

Razielle Shadana
May 15th, 2004, 07:14:19 PM
I loved it. I'm not even a big Pitt fan and he did a great job.

As for Bloom, I just kept saying to my sister "For the love of all thats holy that boy is Legolas - GET HIM SOME ARROWS!" And Apollo listened and it was good. ;)

Crystal
May 15th, 2004, 10:54:21 PM
OMG. I just got back from watching it.. I loved this movie so much. I fell in love with Brad Pitt all over again :love

First, I have to say. What was with all the nude without being people? There was about 10 times when Brad Pitt was nude. Not that I'm complaining. Just wondering.. what the heck?

When Bloom started shooting his bow, I obviously couldn't help but think Legolas. The action was all very amazing. I think Brad Pitt was pretty well cast. Even though I really like him, sometimes I just feel like I could be watching any of his other movies. The way he talks, moves.. alot of times it's all the same. It just seems like "hey, look it's brad pitt." I forget about his character and just think about the actor. But here, I totally bought him. He made my heart race :o

The only thing I really didn't like was the girl they cast as Helen. I didn't like her face, I don't know how to describe it really, but she just looked too "perfect" by today's standards. Sure, I wanted her to be pretty.. but she just looked like she had walked out of a magazine. I really didn't like the fact that she was blonde. I thought Helen of Troy had dark hair? If not.. that's at least how I always pictured her.

Overall, great movie. Go see it!

Arya Ravenwing
May 16th, 2004, 10:09:12 AM
:):thumbup:thumbup

I loved the fact that they portrayed the gods as the people's faith, not necessary there and actually intervening. Also, the way Achilles died - stands to reason that if you found the greatest warrior of Greece with only an arrow in his heel that the rumor might spread that he was invincible and his only weakness was his heel.

The film was gorgeous, visually breathtaking, and I'm not just talking about Pitt and Bana.

Crystal
May 16th, 2004, 11:00:59 AM
Originally posted by Arya Ravenwing
:):thumbup:thumbup

I loved the fact that they portrayed the gods as the people's faith, not necessary there and actually intervening.

Usually I like it when they show the gods intervening. But for this movie, it wouldn't have worked. Although I wouldn't have complained if they tossed in the guy that played Ares on Xena. ;)

Also, the way Achilles died - stands to reason that if you found the greatest warrior of Greece with only an arrow in his heel that the rumor might spread that he was invincible and his only weakness was his heel.

I was going to mention something about that, but I forgot.

Zasz Grimm
May 16th, 2004, 10:21:05 PM
Originally posted by Crystal
Usually I like it when they show the gods intervening. But for this movie, it wouldn't have worked. Although I wouldn't have complained if they tossed in the guy that played Ares on Xena. ;)

I was going to mention something about that, but I forgot.

Kevin Smith ( who plays ares) is dead. So, he would be a no show.

I'm gonna mask a a majority of my post, just for the fact I sometimes go off track with words and start to talk about the movie regardless.

In my opinion, Hector getting a hit in on Achilles would not have made since. He was the greatest in all of the world. Hector was the greatest in the land. No one could compare. IT stands to reason that he would only scratch the armor. Achilles fears no one, add to the fact he was mad- he would decimate Hector.

The reasoning for Hectors sluggish-ness was the fact that he was afraid. He knew he was going to die a horrible death. He knew that Achilles was going to kill him. He knew he wouldn't see his son grow old- he wouldn't see his wife again. Achilles has no worries. That and Hector really walked into that rock and made him really screw up.

And I also have to agree with Holly. The faith of the gods was awesome. Instead of actually portraying them in light. And Birsies was awesome. Rose Byrne did a good job, I thought. I've only read pieces of the Iliad, so I can't really comment that much on that. As I said earlier, I was awed.

And I thought this was very much better than Gladiator. Everyone was awesome. And I thought Brad Pitt went above and beyond for this role, playing it perfectly.

Dan the Man
May 16th, 2004, 10:30:24 PM
This was a decent movie, but really nothing special.

Nice eyecandy. Nice music (a la Wrath of Khan, actually).

I didn't much care for how much they changed the Iliad. Cutting the mythology, okay. I guess I can deal with that. But butchering which characters actually live and die, no.

Nobody's character was acted well enough to be endearing, or to make me care for them.

All in all, it was more disappointing than endearing to me.

Crystal
May 17th, 2004, 01:34:55 AM
Originally posted by Zasz Grimm
Kevin Smith ( who plays ares) is dead. So, he would be a no show.

I know.. when I heard, it broked my little heart :(

Drake Shadowstalker
May 17th, 2004, 09:47:48 PM
Dan the Man, you said it. It was a decent movie at best. Critics were actually right for a change. WOW!!!

Sable
May 18th, 2004, 05:58:49 PM
Quote:

The reasoning for Hectors sluggish-ness was the fact that he was afraid. He knew he was going to die a horrible death. He knew that Achilles was going to kill him. He knew he wouldn't see his son grow old- he wouldn't see his wife again. Achilles has no worries. That and Hector really walked into that rock and made him really screw up.

I don't doubt that he knew he was going to die, but their weapons and shields were heavy back then so sluggishness, wide swings with the blades/hammers etc, is very expected. Also, keep in mind the heat of the sun boring down on these two men and the armor wasn't exactly made of cotton to allow heat to escape. Heat and the energy exerted to wield their weapons would tire a warrior out rather quickly. (IMO)

Anyways, my fiance and I saw this film a few days ago and I must say that we both enjoyed it very much. Personally, I don't think Helen was all that she's made out to be. Hector's wife was prettier, IMO. Still not sure where anyone gets the idea that the war was over love, because it wasn't, but oh well.

The scene I love the most is the scene where Peter O'Toole's character slips into Achilles tent. The exchange between those two was wonderfully scripted and acted out. Oh, and I liked when Briseis stabbed that moron of a King in the neck. That was sweet!

And of course, it was pretty cool to see the fighting styles shown on the screen again; when they used their shields to protect themselves as they advanced on the beach and the way the army lined up just outside of the walls of Troy.

I have to agree with the poster who stated that seeing Orlando Bloom playing a weak character just isn't right. Paris was a wuss. Then again, I suppose if I had never killed a man or had to face another to fight to a death, I'd be a wuss too. Still, he did a terrific job with the character and I can't wait to add this movie to our DVD collection.

Gurney Devries
May 19th, 2004, 02:49:02 AM
Tripe. Overrated tripe, IMO. Every time a character opened their mouth, nothing but cliches came out. The dialogue was terrible. The action scenes were kind of interesting, but nothing we haven't seen before. Brad Pitt was an interesting anti-hero until he started to "fall in love" (or whatever) with Hector's cousin. That ruined his character.. The music was terrible, the characterization was lacking and, overall, the only saving grace of the film was the action sequences. Everyone in the theater was groaning at the excess of corny dialogue, and I actually heard people making fun of it as we walked out afterwards. Definitely wait for video.

Jedi Master Carr
May 19th, 2004, 11:16:46 AM
Well I liked it and thought it was better than Gladiator (I have huge problems with Gladiator because of how it makes a mockery of Roman history, I know you could say the same for this one but there is no real facts about the Trojan War all we have is the Illiad which is an historical account) But hey these are my opinions all that counts for me is I liked it and enjoyed.

Droo
May 19th, 2004, 11:38:48 AM
This movie failed to grip me which is strange because when I originally read the story in Classical History lessons I found it quite enthralling; for some reason Troy strives to be gripping and epic and fails leaving the experience one of dissapointment and lackluster. Unfortunately, after witnessing the LOTR trilogy, even the fight sequences here fail to impress. Having said that, some of the more personal confrontations, such as Menelaeus vs. Paris and Achilles vs. Hector, are far more satisfying than their larger counterparts.

Some may like the soundtrack but I found it wholly underwhelming; a below par effort from James Horner.

Overall, Troy was an enjoyable film and one best watched in the theatre but it did have one saving grace and that was found in some of the blinding performances delivered throughout the picture; Eric Bana, Peter O'Toole, Brian Cox, Shawn Bean; Brad Pitt however, his performance failed to grip me and I feel he was very much miscast here. I do agree with what was said earlier about Achilles, as presented in the film, is a very interesting anti-hero but the delivery is just uninspiring. Eric Bana was a scene stealer, he played Hector marvellously and I found myself moved and sympathetic when watching him on screen. Sean Bean does plenty with his limited role and makes the character real enough in such a short space of time with a couple of nice scenes. Brian Cox was a delicious megalomaniac as Agamemnon; I knew I'd love his performance ever since his "Then every son of Troy shall die" line appeared in the trailer. Finally, Peter O'Toole shone as Priam; it's great to see him back in action and in such a big way too; you can really get into the character's head just by looking at his face and that scene between he and Brad Pitt in Achilles' tent is heart-wrenching; that said, such moments were few in the film and none more powerful.

Ultimately, the acting jobs is what I went to see this film for and why I'll be going again this weekend. Were I to rate this, I'd give it a 6 out of 10.

Jedi Master Carr
May 19th, 2004, 12:17:41 PM
Yeah the acting is great, IMO one of the reasons I really like the film I think there are only two week points Helen, and Bloom. I thought Pitt okay he did a better job than Bloom.

Loki Ahmrah
May 19th, 2004, 12:28:53 PM
I refuse to comment on Bloom. I'll make an exception here though, a review of Bloom's performance in less than a word:

:thumbdown

His best bit of acting was when he was battered and snivelling in the dirt at Bana's feet; poetic or ironic? :D

Jedi Master Carr
May 19th, 2004, 01:18:19 PM
Bloom just couldn't play that kind of character, I think Leo would have done a better job :p

JMK
May 19th, 2004, 05:12:54 PM
Originally posted by Dru
Some may like the soundtrack but I found it wholly underwhelming; a below par effort from James Horner.

Overall, Troy was an enjoyable film and one best watched in the theatre...

That was my biggest problem with the movie. Otherwise I thought it was decent. It had huge ambitions as a movie and it would have been very difficult to deliver on all levels.

Anbira Hicchoru
May 19th, 2004, 07:18:39 PM
Well I liked it and thought it was better than Gladiator (I have huge problems with Gladiator because of how it makes a mockery of Roman history, I know you could say the same for this one but there is no real facts about the Trojan War all we have is the Illiad which is an historical account) But hey these are my opinions all that counts for me is I liked it and enjoyed.

Except that one claims to be a direct historical recreation and one does not.

Gladiator is a nexus of some imperial history merged with a republican myth (that of Cinncinnatus).

Troy is just an utterly immasculated and soulless version of the Illiad.

Apples and oranges, and quite frankly, Troy isn't even a tenth of the movie Gladiator was.

Droo
May 19th, 2004, 07:26:39 PM
Gladiator might be great in the areas Troy was not but the acting is unforgiveable. Thus lives and breathes my loathing of Russel "Cardboard Cutout" Crowe. :mneh

Anbira Hicchoru
May 19th, 2004, 08:11:46 PM
:lol and you're comparing Troy's acting laurels to Gladiators???

HAHAHAHA

Oh boy.

Droo
May 19th, 2004, 08:19:21 PM
The actors I listed above did a faaar better job than any of the leads in Gladiator. As far as I'm concerned at least and there must be something about films like Troy and Gladiator; they're similar in that, at least with me, both failed to have a gripping plot.

Anbira Hicchoru
May 19th, 2004, 08:27:49 PM
Phoenix out-performed Cox
Harris out-performed whoever played Priam
Whoever played Lucilla out-performed whoever played Helen (like that was hard)

You claim Crowe was a hollow acting job, and I turn that right around on Pitt, times ten.

Let me see, what else? Every character in Troy that should've been "major" turned out to be a talking head, with the exception of Hector, which I suppose is the one saving grace I can afford Troy, simply on the virtue that I can't find a similar role in Gladiator that out-performed him in turn.

Even Odysseus, who could've possibly been somewhat redeeming, was so far in the background he might as well have been an extra.

Droo
May 19th, 2004, 08:33:46 PM
I agree with you on the Lucilla point but the rest I totally have to disagree, I found all performances in Gladiator underwhelming and as much a I may be burned for saying that; most people like it; it all comes down to a question of opinion. At least I found the character of Achilles interesting even if the acting job wasn't exactly worth hot cakes whereas, and maybe it's just because I can't stand Crowe and he may curse all his films for me, I found Maximus' character to be mind-numbingly uninteresting.

JMK
May 19th, 2004, 08:39:25 PM
As far as characters go, Achillies is FAR and away more interesting than Maximus, but the performances by each actor is up for debate. Personally I think I prefer Crowe's performance to Pitt's, but it's not a brain-dead easy decision by any stretch of the imagination.

Anbira Hicchoru
May 19th, 2004, 08:44:46 PM
Uh, lets make an important distinction.

Achilles as a character, as shown through the Iliad, you may have a point.

The character Pitt played in Troy had that POTENTIAL.

But to claim that the same Achilles in Troy in any shape has parity to Maximus? Thats crazy. Pitt played a total Mannequin.

JMK
May 19th, 2004, 08:54:08 PM
I was talking about Achilles in Iliad, but even still, I think Achilles in Troy had more going on as a character than Maximus, who to me, was just on a quest for revenge after being double crossed. Like I said, whether or not each actor got the aspects of the character across to the viewers is entirely debatable. Achilles' quest for immortality in battle tempered by his disdain for Agammemnon made for a pretty complex character IMO. Then you mix in his mission of revenge when his cousin is killed and you get Maximus' character and more.

Jedi Master Carr
May 19th, 2004, 09:31:14 PM
I just hated the butchering history they did for Joe Q Public for Gladiator. I mean first Marcus Aurelies giving the govt. back to the people please that is a bunch of nonsense, he was a tolenterian ruler who butchered more Christians than anybody except for Domitian. Then Commodous reign appears to be like 2 years. The guy rulled 16 and in the process killed his sister and was finally only killed by his own guards because of his brutality. The movie also makes it look like that the govt is going back to the republic that isn't true either what proceded was a brutal civil war between, senators and generals it was the worst period in Roman history, actually the movie Fall of the Roman Empire does a better job in portraying all of this but even that is just average filmmaking. I just don't like the cut and past job of history that the movie did I am just picky about those things. I enjoyed Troy better because historically nobody knows what happened. There was a Troy it was destroyed by the Greeks but who was there nobody knows. So the movie is a combination myth and history. (I feel there is a more of the Roman verison of the story in there by showing Aneais they are stressing the Roman myth/legend, IMO). I also really disagree with you about O'Toole the man is a way better actor than Harris he might even get an Oscar for this movie. But hey this all my opinion.

Dan the Man
May 19th, 2004, 09:36:43 PM
I just hated the butchering history they did for Joe Q Public for Gladiator. I mean first Marcus Aurelies giving the govt. back to the people please that is a bunch of nonsense, he was a tolenterian ruler who butchered more Christians than anybody except for Domitian. Then Commodous reign appears to be like 2 years. The guy rulled 16 and in the process killed his sister and was finally only killed by his own guards because of his brutality. The movie also makes it look like that the govt is going back to the republic that isn't true either what proceded was a brutal civil war between, senators and generals it was the worst period in Roman history, actually the movie Fall of the Roman Empire does a better job in portraying all of this but even that is just average filmmaking. I just don't like the cut and past job of history that the movie did I am just picky about those things. I enjoyed Troy better because historically nobody knows what happened. There was a Troy it was destroyed by the Greeks but who was there nobody knows. So the movie is a combination myth and history. (I feel there is a more of the Roman verison of the story in there by showing Aneais they are stressing the Roman myth/legend, IMO). I also really disagree with you about O'Toole the man is a way better actor than Harris he might even get an Oscar for this movie. But hey this all my opinion.

You are missing the point. One which I have made perfectly clear in earlier posts. Please re-read my post if confusion persists.

Gladiator is not a nonfictional movie, and with the infusion of the Cinncinnatus mythos, its pretty obvious it isn't. The movie is bringing together two very different ideologies from two different periods in Rome. So...stop repeating your same complaint?

Jedi Master Carr
May 19th, 2004, 09:39:08 PM
I have never heard of that myth, so it is still a complaint to me, I did say this is my opinion I don't like it, because of that reason and to me it is valid I am not going to argue about it though.

CMJ
May 19th, 2004, 10:00:51 PM
I haven't seen Troy as of yet.

However, I do feel the need to address the Gladiator historical debate. Carr, seriously...I didn't know anyone who felt it was TRYING to be historically accurate. Heck Braveheart had arguably more historic errors, but it claimed to be the "real" story. Most folks I know were surprised there even was a historical Commodous et al.

Anyways, I'm planning on seeing Peterson's flick this weekend, or maybe Monday. Then I'll debate the quality of the two films - or wherever this thread is by then. :p

Dan the Man
May 19th, 2004, 10:02:14 PM
The myth of Cinncinnatus is a republican myth that outlines a Roman citizen's underlying civic virtue; his manliness, or virtus. Virtus is kind of a holy trinity of sorts, in which all citizens of Rome represent at any point farmers, soldiers, and politicians, and that any Roman can be called on by his country at any time to be any one of these things, which are his duty to the state.

Maximus clearly embodies all three facets throughout the movie, which in turn pits the very ideologies of republican Rome against the concepts of Empire.

Ergo, this is not a case of historical nonfiction whatsoever, nor has any ambitions in doing such.

Marcus Telcontar
May 19th, 2004, 10:06:18 PM
Most folks I know were surprised there even was a historical Commodous et al.

Or that he actually fought in the arena.

i felt Gladiator was only just bit picking parts from history and niling them together to sound plausible. Nothing wrong with that IMO. It didnt try to be real history but it did use some real bits.

Dan the Man
May 19th, 2004, 10:12:39 PM
I figured it did that just to find some kind of timeline context.

Placing the events of Gladiator in the reign of Commodus says less about Commodus and more about Marcus Aurelius, and the three Caesars who ruled before him, which were known as the "Four Good Emperors", and they fostered what was something of an Imperial golden age in Rome. It was really the last gasp of ascent, and from that point on, Rome began to collapse.

So, it makes sense to put a movie, whose thrust is a sense of urgency to return to Rome's glory, in a point where Rome is more or less looking off a precipice at its own ruin.

The choices made for that fit in a rather clever manner to the mythos and fiction they weaved around it.

Jedi Master Carr
May 19th, 2004, 11:30:09 PM
Well I am picky on Roman history its been a hobby of mine and it just irrated me, I think that movie's historical inaccuricies irratited me more than any other historical film and I think it is because of the Roman history, well maybe except that awful Joan of Arc film by Bessont(sp) . I don't hate the movie I just have problems with somethings in the movie but hey that is just my opinion.

Sanis Prent
May 19th, 2004, 11:40:52 PM
I think if you were a real Roman history hobbyist, you would've recognized what was happening a mile away, like I did :mneh

Jedi Master Carr
May 19th, 2004, 11:45:21 PM
lol I have honestly never heard of that story who was the author? My knowledge of Roman history is mostly the political side and some cultural stuff (like the gladiatorial stuff) my knowledge of Roman literature is very thin and I only know Virgil's and Ovid writings.

Sanis Prent
May 19th, 2004, 11:59:38 PM
There is no 'author'.

It comes from a man named Lucius (Titus) Quinctius Cincinnatus, who was a consul of Rome around 460 BC, and later dictator twice (458 and 439 respectively).

According to legend, he assumed his first dictatorship from duties as a farmer, in order to defeat the Aequi and Volscians, who were attacking Rome. Once victory was at hand, he returned to his farm, only to be recalled in 439 to put down an uprising from the plebeians.

Its one of those things born out of some unknown combination of fact and fiction. What is factual is that the legend of Cincinnatus became a cornerstone for republican virtus.

Jedi Master Carr
May 19th, 2004, 11:59:56 PM
K I looked it up, its in Livy and it took place during the Republic time period as you said. It makes since that I wasn't familar with, early Roman history I have never gotten into, I guess I always liked the Empire period better.

Edit I guess techincally there was no author, this account is chronicled by the Roman historian Livy but his work is huge it takes up like 10 books so that is something I never would know off hand, and I think I have only read the first one of his work and that was it.

CMJ
May 24th, 2004, 06:26:30 PM
I finally saw it today. It was a mixed bag, but overall a good movie. Technically it was a brilliant film- and I actually thought it was pretty well acted. Some of the changes from the legend of the Trojan War bothered me(the length of the war for one) and others I went with because they had to streamline the story(and the Gods weren't necessary to the narrative flow).

Overall though, something was missing, and I'm not sure what. I'd say 3 stars out of 4. But with a story this good it should've been one of the best movies of the year.

Darth007
May 24th, 2004, 08:56:01 PM
It was just an emotionally confusing movie for me. I liked it but couldnt decide on who to root for, lol. The King of Troy seemed like a decent good guy, but then you had some scum trojans. Then of course you had Agemmenon who was a royal dirtbag, but Achilles was portrayed as the hero/protaganist character. Anyone else get that? haha seems wierd eh

CMJ
May 24th, 2004, 08:59:48 PM
Well, that's how the story was. I think it was written that way to try to show how wars are usually not black/white good/evil, but then again I have no idea what Homer was after. I was always a guy that pulled for the men of Troy.

Jedi Master Carr
May 24th, 2004, 10:57:07 PM
I always pulled for Troy too, I always felt bad for them. Hey CMJ what did you think of the Aneais bit, I am surprised they put that in there considering 90% of the people who will see it won't have a clue what it was about

CMJ
May 24th, 2004, 11:22:25 PM
It was a great wink at people that know Virgil's work and the legend of how Rome was founded. :)

I loved that they threw it in.

Jedi Master Carr
May 24th, 2004, 11:31:08 PM
Yeah me too I just had a big grin on my face with that scene and I was wondering how many in the theater knew what was going on.

JMK
May 25th, 2004, 06:35:32 AM
I thought Aeneid was Hector's child?

Jedi Master Carr
May 25th, 2004, 07:41:13 AM
Nope Aneais was a Trojan general not one of the top ones. I can't remember the name of Hector's son, it escapes me right now

Pierce Tondry
May 25th, 2004, 08:32:30 AM
For those of you who might want to see this but aren't sure, here's a brief synopsis: (joke link, it is funny, you must read it!!)

http://www.livejournal.com/users/cleolinda/99710.html

CMJ
May 25th, 2004, 10:33:42 AM
That was hysterical. :lol

Lady Vader
May 25th, 2004, 11:16:06 AM
Saw the movie last saturday. Good flick.

It didn't go along with the original story at all (but that was to be expected... the original story was really depressing in some cases).

One thing that did bug me was the fact they didn't say the names much, so I was constantly having to remember who was what... and then explain to my hubby who was whom during the movie.

EDIT:

Just read that "brief synopsis" posted by Tondry. Let me tell you how hard it is NOT TO LAUGH OUT LOUD IN THE OFFICE! IT"S HARD!!! :lol:lol:lol

Paris is practicing archery on a nice straw man nailed up to the wall. He hits bull's-eye after bull's-eye.

HELEN: Wow, I had no idea you were so good at this.

PARIS: Neither did I. Weird, isn’t it? And I really want lembas now.

HELEN: What?

:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol

Lilaena De'Ville
May 25th, 2004, 11:40:09 AM
Originally posted by Pierce Tondry
For those of you who might want to see this but aren't sure, here's a brief synopsis: (joke link, it is funny, you must read it!!)

http://www.livejournal.com/users/cleolinda/99710.html

hilarious! :lol

Loklorien s'Ilancy
May 25th, 2004, 11:47:01 AM
That was awesome :lol

If you haven't seen Penny Arcade's take on Troy, you really should. I think I about fell out of my chair.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/images/2004/20040524l.jpg

Lady Vader
May 25th, 2004, 12:07:52 PM
AAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! :lol:lol:lol

Too... much... :lol

JMK
May 25th, 2004, 12:27:27 PM
Funny funny stuff! :)

Master Yoghurt
May 26th, 2004, 08:32:50 PM
I saw this movie today, and really enjoyed it. An epic and technically brilliant movie with grand battles and cinematics inspired on Homers The Illiad. Although this is very far from an accurate, or even close addaption to the book, the spirit of the story remains with great characters who do not turn as one dimensional as one could have feared, but human with motive, cause and weaknesses.

The most one dimensional however was Agamemnon (Brian Cox), who is a real megalomaniac, but that suits him perfectly. He and his band of beerdrinking warrior thugs are villains in the classical sense of the word. Agamemnon turns out to be a really power hungry and obsessed person with a tremendous ego. Maybe this is sterotypical, but his loonie mindset actually entertains as the other characters are more balanced. Not to mention the conspiring (misleading Menelaus) and warmongering makes him a protaganist for how the conflict develops, thus his presence is important. I'd say Brian Cox plays this part really well.

Achilles (Brad Pitt) seems at first sight as a fearless warrior who only cares about fame and glory, but beyond the fascade of armor, sword and shield there are layers of complexity. Although, he lives to fight and achieve immortality through legend, there is conflict, emotion and doubt behind the fascade. Pride, compassion, love, sadness, hate and fear all boil inside him. One example is his hatred to Agammemnon who is a real antithesis to everything he believes in. For one thing, Achilles is an existensialist anarchistic liberarist who dont believe in patriotism and order. Every man has to fight for himself and make their own decisions - no one shall ever tell him what to do. Yet, he has a code of honor, even a certain level of respect towards his enemies, for example as he lets Priam bring his son home for funeral, and not attack the city of Troy for 12 days. Furthermore, he believes in friendship and comradery. This is shown through his relationship to Odyssevs and the brave Myrmidons. Then there is the brotherhood like bond with his cousin Patroclus and his love interest the captured Trojan priestess Briseis, both he would protect for all cost, allthough it turns out blood is thicker than water . Finally, his strive for immortality is torn apart by the horrors of wars and the many victims of battle falling all around him. He dreams of those he killed. He yearns for a life in peace, although deep inside, he knows that is not his destiny. When questioned why he fights, he replies he was born a warrior. There can be no other paths for him.

Hector (Eric Bana) is also a great warrior, but has a loyalty and respect towards his kinship, with the sense of duty and patriotism that Achilles denies. Hector is also a family man, protective of his brother Paris and respecting of his father Priam. Most important of all, he loves his wife Andromache, theire son more than anything else. All this, he will lose as his demise is gradually approaching in the seemingly destined duel with Achilles. Bana portrays Hectors character masterfully, and you cant help but sympathise with him.

Beautiful Helen (Diane Kruger) and (supposedly :p) handsome Paris (Orlando Bloom) are the couple who triggers the chain of events escalating to war. Although, it is easy to see why Helen would leave Menelaus for him, Paris turns out to be somewhat of a whimp and a coward. Furthermore, this foolish romance puts everything he loves; his family and his people into danger. However, what he lacks in courage, fighting skills and common sense, he regains in his passion for Helen and compassion for his kin. He is also son of the king and has the charisma of a leader of his people. Although, with the sword in hand, his own life and Helen turns to be more important to him than the city and the people of Troy. Their characters appears somewhat shallow, yet theire parts are meaningful and necessary. While its tempting to criticize the acting, fact remains they add more to the movie than retract from it, and theire character portrayals may not be so off after all.

However, the political intrigue and the individual struggles are what this movie is really about, and in that aspect, this movie delivers greatly. There is no black or white. Villains appears as heroes, and heroes appears as villains. The typical bad guy/good guy scenario does not apply here, they all have their strengths and weaknesses, dark and light sides - its all relative.

Overall, this was a great experience, and allthough Wolfgang Petersen has taken great liberties in the story addaption, it stands strong on its own merits as a story about treachery and brotherhood, about fallibility and fragile nobility of men, about the epic battles and legends of ancient times. Its a spectacle and a feast for the eyes. This is a film which reminds me why I love going to the movies. Its a refreshing change to all the mediocrities being recycled from the Hollywood machine these days, and fills me with nostalgia from the time when movie had a certain class, scale and style. Ben Hur, Cleopatra etc springs to mind. Although, it may not be at the level of significant of the old classics, it is clearly set to be one of the more important movies this year, and definitely not something one should miss on the big screen.

I give it 3.5 stars out of 4

Lavelyn Rynn
Jun 1st, 2004, 11:57:55 AM
I saw it on the weekend and promptly went out and bought the soundtrack which was half of the goodness of the movie. It was pretty good but it mostly just inspired me to start going to the gym every day instead of every other day. I always feel guilty when I go to movies like this :(

Figrin D'an
Jun 4th, 2004, 09:50:29 PM
Finally saw this tonight.

Being honest, I wasn't impressed. Being completely honest, I thought it mostly sucked, with a few scattered moments of "Yeah, I guess that's kinda spiffy." It looked pretty, but it had no soul. It tried too hard to be epic and grandiose, and forgot that it needed to connect with the audience. Cox was good as Agamemnon, Eric Bana was good as Hector, and Peter O'Toole did a decent job as Priam. Everyone else either wasn't given enough screentime or freedom to develop their characters, or they were just plain bad. Much of the dialogue was just horrendous, particularly between Helen and Paris. I've never heard that many cliches regarding "true love" in movie that isn't being shown on the Lifetime channel.

The battle scenes were rather blah. The best of those were the one-on-one fights (Paris vs. Menelaus, Hector vs. Achilles). Even the final invasion of the city and the infamous Trojan Horse legend failed to be entralling.

As an sword & sandle epic, it's in the average pile. Barely. This movie doesn't hold a candle to films like Ben-Hur, Spartacus, or even Gladiator. Films like this are generally best seen in the cinema, but this one isn't worth paying full price to see.

Alex
Jun 9th, 2004, 04:58:13 PM
I just came back from seeing Troy. Got dragged to it. It was alright, I guess...a few complains, though. And yes, I do actually know the answers to the questions, but someone I know who went to see it didn't.

What's so special about Achilles? His mum is a godess...why does that make him good at fighting? Is he like Hercules, or something? And what did shooting him in the ankle actually do? He still ended up doing a Boromir impression...maybe he got lessons from Sean...er...that king guy?

What's so special about the horse? Is it anything to do with there being horses on the flags the Trojans were waving?

Aren't there meant to be TWO kings of Sparta?

I think it was alright. Watchable. No where near as good as Gladiator which, in my opinion, is more watchable than Spartacus, the latter being so lame in places that it makes me laugh. Although, there were several bits they used poetic license with. For one thing, after the whole fiasco with Achilles' armour, he's supposed to get a new suit of armour forged by Hephaestus. Odysseus and Achilles' right hand man (name escapes me) are meant to fight over it.

Basically, I think the main problem with it was the fact that they tried to make it too "realistic". They took out all of the mythological references, pretty much. Very little indestructability for Achilles. No heavenly weapons. No Gods watching. The "Achilles' heel" was only in there because it had to be. It bore no resemblence to the Illiad itself. However, I don't think it was supposed to. As far as dramatisations of historical events go, it certainly wasn't the worst I've ever seen.

I do have a theory for Paris' little "accident" at the end of the film...maybe the absense of ears unbalanced his head, and it threw off his aim?