PDA

View Full Version : Matrix co-creator ready to be a whole new woman?

Pierce Tondry
May 10th, 2004, 06:45:11 PM
http://www.suntimes.com/output/zwecker//cst-ftr-zp29.html

Assuming there may be sequels coming, how would this affect them, do you think? Perhaps Neo would be a woman, and Trinity... also a woman? :)

Just kidding. I don't think there'd be another Neo/Trinity deal. But this is fairly curious news.

Darth Viscera
May 11th, 2004, 05:55:51 AM
female hormones ruined matrix 2 and 3 :cry

Marcus Telcontar
May 11th, 2004, 06:15:16 AM
Originally posted by Darth Viscera
female hormones ruined matrix 2 and 3 :cry

No, crap ideas and a love affair with crap CG ruined Matrix 2 and 3

Darth Viscera
May 11th, 2004, 06:55:26 AM
i thought that's what i said :huh

Droo
May 11th, 2004, 07:59:09 AM
There was crap CG in the Matrix sequels? What films were you two watching?

There are many things for which you can criticise those films but come on, the one aspect you cannot possibly complain about is the special effects.

Gurney Devries
May 11th, 2004, 10:02:25 AM
He most certainly can. The CG was pretty terrible, most notably in the second movie. Neo looked like a plastic action figure, especially in the burly brawl scene.

imported_Ambrose Braeden
May 11th, 2004, 10:59:44 AM
I agree. You could definetly tell what was real and what was CG.

(Alex) Jacen
May 11th, 2004, 11:04:02 AM
Yeah...but still, the CGI was fairly impressive in parts. Like the scene on the freeway...or the final duel thing. *shrug* Its mindless, over-the-top, fantasy violence. Don't knock it ;)

JMK
May 11th, 2004, 11:35:34 AM
I thought the effects were pretty convincing for the most part, except for the brawl of course. Then again, I thought the effects for Blade 2 were awful, especially the fight in the warehouse. I thought I was going to lose my lunch.

Jedi Master Carr
May 11th, 2004, 11:59:34 AM
The problem with the Matrix sequels was the story it just didn't make much sense and had a lots of problems. I think that proves to me that the first movie should have never had sequels.

Figrin D'an
May 11th, 2004, 12:16:14 PM
It wasn't so much that the story didn't make sense... for me, it was simply that Reloaded and Revolutions didn't have the same edge that the first Matrix had in abundance.

To each his own, however.

Sanis Prent
May 11th, 2004, 01:07:25 PM
I had no problem with the CG, and in fact, I think that most people who have gripes with CG in most movies are the type that would be severely duped by a placebo effect, to be honest. Its very convenient for people to scoff about bad CG and simply have no reason to do so, other than a "feeling".

I just didn't like the plot in Reloaded and Revolutions all that much. It was a letdown from the first movie.

(Alex) Jacen
May 11th, 2004, 01:50:02 PM
Yeah...but I think they set a too high standard in the Matrix to equal it. I personally liked the sequels. I played the game, and watched the Animatrix...for me, the whole story worked.

Ok, so maybe it was a little weak bringing in the sequel. But actually, there are bits of the game and the animatrix that fill in the holes. Its a very clever marketing technique. You play the movie from the POV of the Logos, essentially (Niobe's ship). You even get to "Fly Mechanical". So maybe, the bits that you percieve as weak were sured up in my mind through the game.

But yeah. I'm one of those people that liked it. And you have to admit...its probably one of the coolest ways of representing philosophical arguements that has ever existed. :D

Cizerack Hunter Forces
May 11th, 2004, 02:14:42 PM
No, I'd actually disagree with that.

Gurney Devries
May 11th, 2004, 03:19:33 PM
Originally posted by Sanis Prent
I had no problem with the CG, and in fact, I think that most people who have gripes with CG in most movies are the type that would be severely duped by a placebo effect, to be honest. Its very convenient for people to scoff about bad CG and simply have no reason to do so, other than a "feeling".Oh, no. I can definitely provide reasons why the CG was lacking. In fact, my main problem with CG in movies these days isn't the quality of it, but the actual animation. Too often, characters simply move and bend in unrealistic ways. The animators don't take into consideration how things like a person's weight, gravity, etc affect their movement. The other main problem I see often is lighting: CG characters rarely have the same lighting on them as their surrounding environment. This is generally what gives that "feel" of a character being CG.

And yes, I just said that quality generally isn't an issue, but it was in Matrix: Reloaded. Neo's clothing was rendered extremely flat, without many creases or folds. His hands didn't properly grip objects he was holding. His face was either lacking detail or lit incorectly, I'm not entirely sure which.

It may sound like I'm nitpicking there. Which, I suppose I am. But I was trying to convey that it's not simply a vague "feeling" I get. ;) All of these little things add up to detract from the realism of CG. Quite frankly, I wish directors would start realizing that there is, 99% of the time, absolutely no need at all to make an entire scene in CG. And, unless you're doing something like Gollum or Dobby, no need to have an entirely CG character. CG is best implemented when combined with the rest of the special effects that director's have stowed away in their bags of tricks. Animatronics, big-atures, etc all combine very well with CG to make a convincing product. I think Peter Jackson understood this very well with LOTR.

To this day, one of the most convincing uses of CG animation, to me, was in Jurassic Park. The movie came out in - what? '97? And I still can't really tell where they used CG, since it was often combined about 50/50 with animatronics.

I'm fully convinced that the story of the Matrix sequels sucked because they were afraid to give it any kind of a real closure. They wanted to leave it open ended for future games/anime/comics/movies.

Marcus Telcontar
May 11th, 2004, 03:26:54 PM
But yeah. I'm one of those people that liked it. And you have to admit...its probably one of the coolest ways of representing philosophical arguements that has ever existed.

No. It is not.

Matrix had a cool factor about it, it was a good watch. reloaded and revolutions took a whole bunch of nonsense, shook it around, wrapped it in pretty visuals and fights and tried to pass it off as smoething worthwhile.

The CG itself was a factor or two below say ROTK. It had many faults that threw you out of the movie, so you thoguht you were watching a game. There was horrible editing where scences went far too long, The Rave was just plain stupid.

and the ending in Revolutions? Puh-lease! What a cop out.

And, if you have to watch add-ons and a game to get full understanding, well, that's missed the point. The movies should truly stand alone.

(Alex) Jacen
May 11th, 2004, 03:31:39 PM
*shrug* You don't like it. I do. In my oppinion, it was an ok film.

The whole idea of introducing the game was to give the people who owned it a more hands-on interface into the story. Again, you don't like the idea. I thought it was kinda clever.

Ok, so with all the Agent Smiths, Neo looked fake. So what? Its not real. It doesn't matter. Its not even 'real' as far as the film is concerned. Its cyberspace within fiction. Its fake anyway. I liked it. You didn't. Doesn't really matter. Its only a film, after all.

Sanis Prent
May 11th, 2004, 05:20:03 PM
What kind of argument is that? It's only a film?

So is the stuff Ed Wood made.

ReaperFett
May 11th, 2004, 05:35:43 PM
Originally posted by Gurney Devries
Oh, no. I can definitely provide reasons why the CG was lacking. In fact, my main problem with CG in movies these days isn't the quality of it, but the actual animation. Too often, characters simply move and bend in unrealistic ways. The animators don't take into consideration how things like a person's weight, gravity, etc affect their movement.
Like Spider-Man. That's why I found Daredevil's movement CGI better, it had a more real sluggish pace to it (Barring a few bad bits), not like we were watching swinging jelly.

Kyle Raiden
May 11th, 2004, 05:51:35 PM
It is just a film. At the end of the day, why does it matter how good or bad the CGI was? If people went to the film, and people enjoyed it, then it served its purpose.

Mu Satach
May 11th, 2004, 05:53:58 PM
Swinging Jelly... now that's an image.

Pierce Tondry
May 11th, 2004, 08:50:09 PM
People have tangented this topic. Careful you guys don't wander into argument territory with it. :)

Crystal
May 11th, 2004, 11:28:41 PM
There's something I didn't know. I'd like to see the before and after pictures. Maybe he'll make a really hot woman :mneh

Originally posted by Kyle Raiden
It is just a film. At the end of the day, why does it matter how good or bad the CGI was? If people went to the film, and people enjoyed it, then it served its purpose.

It's a forum about movie discussions, they're discussing it ;)

Kyle Raiden
May 12th, 2004, 12:45:56 AM
I know...but their discussing sounds a bit too much like bitching to me. Some people like stuff, some people don't. *shrug* It's as stupid as a thread discussing the pros and cons of peanut butter.

There's something I didn't know. I'd like to see the before and after pictures. Maybe he'll make a really hot woman :mneh

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeew!

Darth Viscera
May 12th, 2004, 04:50:42 AM
Originally posted by Crystal

It's a forum about movie discussions, they're discussing it ;)

he is, like, Janet Reno hot :thumbdown

ReaperFett
May 12th, 2004, 06:26:47 AM
Originally posted by Mu Satach
Swinging Jelly... now that's an image.

Jelly-Man, Jelly-Man, does whatever Jelly can ;)

JMK
May 12th, 2004, 08:47:04 AM
Yes, but what kind of jelly? That makes all the difference ;)

Razielle Shadana
May 12th, 2004, 09:23:33 AM
Go with the Matrix-y green mint jelly. ;)

As for the original topic of discussion? Ewwwww... Why can't he just wait to reincarmate into a she and furthermore, the press should realize he/she/it obviously has very valid reasons for being a recluse.

...... >_<

Darth Viscera
May 12th, 2004, 12:30:38 PM
wait to reincarnate as a member of the opposite sex? I daresay you've gotten into the wrong kind of anime o_O

Ryan Pode
May 12th, 2004, 12:34:31 PM
If they make any further movies together, are they still the Wackowski Brothers?

Darth Viscera
May 12th, 2004, 12:35:34 PM
obviously not

Razielle Shadana
May 12th, 2004, 04:33:42 PM
Originally posted by Darth Viscera
wait to reincarnate as a member of the opposite sex? I daresay you've gotten into the wrong kind of anime o_O

:lol no not really, but its better than the he/she alternative! :p

Darth Viscera
May 12th, 2004, 05:04:51 PM
More like neutered alternative. He's basically kissing sexual pleasure goodbye due to the limitations of the surgery.

edit~or maybe not, unless he winds up with a numb vulva.

Crystal
May 12th, 2004, 06:11:39 PM
Really, what's the point? From what I've read about it, they really can't feel very much.

Kyle Raiden
May 13th, 2004, 12:58:15 AM
Actually, they can. They leave bits and pieces of other bits and pieces still attached, and use it to make other bits and pieces that allow you to experience stuff.

But its not like that's the only thing in the universe, you know. And besides, there's more than one way to skin a cat. (I know that's relevant somehow, but I'm not sure how)

Arya Ravenwing
May 13th, 2004, 01:50:39 AM
I find it all to be disgusting. *shudders*

Darth Viscera
May 13th, 2004, 07:42:07 AM
How so?

Jedi Master Carr
May 13th, 2004, 11:28:41 AM
I could care less, it is his choice and it doesn't effect me at all.