PDA

View Full Version : The 501st

imported_Ambrose Braeden
May 9th, 2004, 06:40:53 PM
I was wondering who among everyone here at SWfans is a member of the 501st. I was wondering where you had gotten your costume if you are a member.

Telan Desaria
May 10th, 2004, 07:03:35 PM
501st?

imported_Ambrose Braeden
May 10th, 2004, 07:20:33 PM
The 501st is a group of people who make their own costumes, of what they want in star wars an join a garrison. I know a few people who make costumes and are in the 501st. They both are tie pilots and are in a garrison of just the Empire. It is cool, they go to all of the SW conventions and do security or just walk around and people take pictures with them.

Telan Desaria
May 10th, 2004, 07:43:18 PM
Hmmm - - I could throw an Imperial Officer's uniform together from my former Heer (Army) outfit.

Travis North
May 10th, 2004, 07:45:45 PM
I thought about it once. Couldn't find a garrison near me though.

imported_Ambrose Braeden
May 10th, 2004, 08:52:03 PM
Well I am just trying to get a costume for celebration 3. The 501st get in free and they do all of the security there. So I will only need to bring money for the autographs. That is gonna be awseome.

Sable
May 19th, 2004, 09:50:58 PM
My fiance and I are members of the 501st. There's much more to the 501st than just costuming. Also, it takes a while to become a full-fledged member. All the information you need can be found at http://www.501st.com . There's plenty of restrictions as to what types of costumes are and are not allowed so be sure to read over the requirements for applying for membership.

It's not a cheap hobby and its not something that the members take lightly. Sure, its fun and all that but many, many hours are spent on perfecting the costumes. EU characters are not allowed for official membership, for example. Also, the costume has to be an exact replica for many of the categories that are allowed as official costumes.

Stormtrooper armor alone will cost you roughly $500-$700 for a complete costume, but I don't think that includes the voicebox for the helmet and other neat gadgets that they get for their costumes. That total is for the armor only. Also, there are restrictions on the types of materials used for the armor and other parts of some of the costumes.

The members of the 501st take their hobby and their duties to the group very seriously. But, its a terrific group to belong to and the people that I've met thus far since joining are the best. We have a ton of fun at the events we do and many of us have become like a huge extended family.

It'll take you about a full year to get your costume completed to the point of being able to submit your photo and your application for membership, so make sure this is something you are dedicated to and not just some passing fancy.

If you're not sure or you want more information, you could always find the garrison that is closest to you and ask the XO of that garrison if you could meet up with them at an event they're going to be participating in. Most are more than willing to let you know where to find them at what event and to sit down and talk things over with you while having fun.

Feel free to pm or email me too. I can help you along and offer advice and all that as to how things are done and answer many questions you might have.

imported_Ambrose Braeden
May 20th, 2004, 11:40:05 AM
ok. Cool, thanks