PDA

View Full Version : Van Helsing

Madmartigan
May 5th, 2004, 10:19:51 PM
Ok yes I am excited about the newest vampire movie, Van Helsing which comes out on friday.

I liked Jackman as Wolverine and he looks like he will do good as the legendary Vampire hunter.

but I always prounced it Von Helsing but all the trailers have it as Van Helsing (you know like a mini van), so which is it?

ReaperFett
May 6th, 2004, 03:34:55 AM
I'd guess Van, because Von is another name word.

Dasquian Belargic
May 6th, 2004, 09:55:28 AM
Any movie I've seen that has mentioned the character, it's always been Van.

CMJ
May 6th, 2004, 10:01:48 AM
I think it depends on how pronounced someone's accent is. ;)

Dasquian Belargic
May 6th, 2004, 10:10:53 AM
Yeah, if you speak like a stereotypical Transylvanian Count Dracula, it would sound like Von :D

CMJ
May 6th, 2004, 10:31:10 AM
Bingo. :cool

imported_Ambrose Braeden
May 6th, 2004, 11:21:56 AM
Well, however you pronounce it, I think that it is going to be a very good movie...

Jedi Master Carr
May 6th, 2004, 12:12:44 PM
I think it will be a good popcorn flick which is what you expect with most summer movies and all that is important :)

Morgan Evanar
May 6th, 2004, 03:37:38 PM
^________________^ more Beckinsale pictures.

Madmartigan
May 7th, 2004, 12:52:21 AM
I looked it up its suppose to be Von, or Vahn. So why does every trailer, every promo hack it to pieces. Thats quite irritating you know.

Sanis Prent
May 7th, 2004, 10:21:54 AM
well if you really want to be a jerk about it, it would be Fahn Hellzeenk.

Its called a movie. Furthermore, we speak English, not German.

Figrin D'an
May 7th, 2004, 10:43:34 AM
Originally posted by Madmartigan
I looked it up its suppose to be Von, or Vahn. So why does every trailer, every promo hack it to pieces. Thats quite irritating you know.

The character is named "Van Helsing" because that's the original spelling used by Bram Stoker for the character of Professor Abraham Van Helsing in his book, "Dracula." Germanic spellings have nothing to do with it. It's about honoring the name and character that Stoker created.

Sorsha Kasajian
May 7th, 2004, 10:44:06 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Von is German and Van is Dutch, right?

Dasquian Belargic
May 7th, 2004, 10:45:07 AM
Originally posted by Sorsha Kasajian

That's correct, AFAIK. I used to know Dutch people, called the Van Der Veldes, sooo.

Figrin D'an
May 7th, 2004, 10:46:17 AM
Dutch is a derivative of the base Germanic language form. Hence the similarities.

Lilaena De'Ville
May 7th, 2004, 12:12:34 PM
*holds out a stick to Charley* C'mon this is fun! We can all beat a dead horse!!

;)

Madmartigan
May 7th, 2004, 12:41:48 PM
Well you say tomato and I'll say tomato, then we can all roll around in the streets and complain how everyone should speak english and screw culture and pronouncing things right.

Dutchy
May 7th, 2004, 12:47:50 PM
Originally posted by Sorsha Kasajian

Yep! As in Van Gogh. :)

The Van part is spelled with a lower case letter when used in combination with the first name. Used separately it's spelled with a capital.

So:

Van Gogh
Vincent van Gogh

Figrin D'an
May 7th, 2004, 12:53:51 PM
Well you say tomato and I'll say tomato, then we can all roll around in the streets and complain how everyone should speak english and screw culture and pronouncing things right.

:rolleyes

The spelling/pronunciation of the name is correct in terms of the historical literary reference. Cope.

Jedi Master Carr
May 7th, 2004, 01:41:36 PM
Oh come on people its a mute point I don't think it matters in term of the film. By the way I just saw it, the film is a good popcorn flick, I enjoyed it for the stunts, the CGI, and the action. The monsters were great and Hugh Jackman shows why he is a star.

Sanis Prent
May 7th, 2004, 02:36:30 PM

Do you roll your r's and z your s's to every ethnic name you pronounce? I'd hate to have something so nasty as a double standard & all.

JMK
May 7th, 2004, 02:43:39 PM
Jeebus, does anyone remember the episode of Seinfeld where Elaine mistakenly says "Sven Jolly" instead "Sven Gali" and vehemently denies it?

Or the episode where one of Jerry's girlfriends says "ridicurous" instead of "ridiculous"?

This thread is becoming like that. Only worse. And not funny.

Sanis Prent
May 7th, 2004, 03:05:10 PM
yep.

Jedi Master Carr
May 7th, 2004, 05:13:35 PM
You are keeping it up too now :roll eyes
Everybody just drop it, I think I am going to change the threads name to make it just about the movie, now that is what we should be talking about.

Lilaena De'Ville
May 7th, 2004, 05:17:12 PM
I'm gonna go see it tonight. :D

(and if you want a grammer nazi, it's moot, not a 'mute' point. ;) Reminds me of Friends, when Joey said that something was a 'moo point.' Like a cow's opinion. It doesn't matter. It's... 'moo.' :lol)

Jedi Master Carr
May 7th, 2004, 05:22:32 PM
it is a fun movie just go in expecting that. Some critics are being harsh on it but I can't understand why it is a corny popcorn flick what in the world did they expect?? Read Eberts review of it, it is the best one and he actually gets the movie.

Madmartigan
May 7th, 2004, 06:39:00 PM
The movie was a great popcorn flick, lots of fun and cool CGI

I enjoyed the intro in black and white the most, it was almost like a homage to the horror classics

Good film, thinking of seeing it again next week when I go see Troy.

Jedi Master Carr
May 7th, 2004, 09:29:29 PM
yeah the BW intro was really good homage to those horror classic also like the coach sequence that was the best sequence in the movie.

Lilaena De'Ville
May 8th, 2004, 10:46:29 AM
I jumped so much... ^_^; Liked it thought although the three wives were like horrid B actresses when they were wailing.

Sable
May 9th, 2004, 08:45:57 AM
:lol I agree with Lil. Reminded me more of screaming banshee's than vampires.

JMK
May 9th, 2004, 06:41:04 PM
Saw it, a good way to spend a couple hours on a sunday afternoon. :)

I kept expecting Friar Karl to look up and scream "NAZGUL!!!!!" when the brides flew into town! :lol

Jinn Fizz
May 9th, 2004, 08:12:46 PM
I loved this movie, from beginning to end. I think it put its heart on its sleeve right from the get-go, with the opening scene being in black and white. It made it clear that the movie was going to be a homage to all the old 30's Universal monster movies, with 21st century special effects and a dash of humor. Nothing more, nothing less. And that's all I was expecting, so as far as I'm concerned, it delivered beautifully. I had a heck of a good time and will probably be seeing it at least once more in the theaters.

I was really glad that I'd managed to avoid spoilers on this movie, so it ended up coming as a huge surprise to me that Van Helsing himself ended up becoming a werewolf, and also that Kate Beckinsale's character ended up dying. It made the movie more effective for me.

Plus, I really appreciated that the Frankenstein's monster that's portrayed in this movie was much closer to the monster created by Mary Shelley in her novel. So many people are so used to Frankenstein being the hulking, mute monster of the Boris Karloff movies, that they don't realize that's not how the monster was portrayed in the original story. So that was a very nice touch.

Now starts the speculation...who will Van Helsing face in the sequel? :)

Jedi Master Carr
May 9th, 2004, 09:03:38 PM
Heck why not Dracula again, wouldn't be the first time they brought him back. Dracula died and was ressurected countless times in the movies. I can't think of any other big montsters he could fight

Lilaena De'Ville
May 9th, 2004, 09:35:13 PM
I'm actually glad that Kate Beckingsdale's character died. I mean, I hate that the guy gets the girl and then in the sequel no one knows what happened to the girl and the guy has a new love interest. This way makes more sense.

Jinn Fizz
May 9th, 2004, 11:13:41 PM
Agreed...plus, she did die a noble death, in the process of saving Van Helsing, so it made sense in the course of the story as well :).

As for future foes, all I can think of right now is the Invisible Man, maybe Jack the Ripper...otherwise, I'm drawing blanks. I wouldn't mind seeing Dracula come back, because I thought he was terrific, as were his brides :D. It would just depend on how they explained his survival after the climax of this first movie.

Jedi Master Carr
May 10th, 2004, 12:07:33 AM
Well, he was the devil's son I suspect Satan could send him back. They would have to have a different plan this time. Also is Van Helsing the Archangel Gabriel?? They seemed to be giving that impression.

JMK
May 10th, 2004, 06:50:16 AM
The first thing I thought of after the movie is that I hope there isn't a sequel. Not that I didn't enjoy this one, but there's just no one else to kill. It would be overkill IMO. Though I won't be horrified if they do make a sequel, which they probably will.

Jedi Master Carr
May 10th, 2004, 07:31:48 AM
I think it depends on how much this one makes WW.

Mu Satach
May 10th, 2004, 12:30:07 PM
I laughed so much in this film. I haven't see something this overt the top in a LOOOONG time. :)
Check your brain at the door and enjoy the rollercoaster ride.

Madmartigan
May 10th, 2004, 12:57:34 PM
What brain do you speak of, I think thats quite a racist comment for those of us who don't have one ;)

Mu Satach
May 10th, 2004, 01:17:55 PM
My apologies...

Please remove your critical thinking or processing unit or other such item including but not limited to mechanical, digital, analogue, biological, genetically engineered devices which assist said user of such device in the creation of logical decision making skills or other skills which are the benefit of using said device. This statement in no way excludes those who currently are without such a device installed on their system.

The previous statment is a matter of opinion from one registered user "Mu Satach" hereafter referred to as "the Author".

The author reserves the right not to be responsible for the topicality, correctness, completeness or lameness quality of the information provided. Liability claims regarding damage caused by the use of any information provided, including any kind of information which is incomplete or incorrect, will therefore be rejected.

This disclaimer is to be regarded as part of the internet. If sections or individual terms of this statement are not legal or correct, the content or validity of the other parts remain uninfluenced by this fact.

Figrin D'an
May 10th, 2004, 01:57:51 PM
Originally posted by Mu Satach
My apologies...

Please remove your critical thinking or processing unit or other such item including but not limited to mechanical, digital, analogue, biological, genetically engineered devices which assist said user of such device in the creation of logical decision making skills or other skills which are the benefit of using said device. This statement in no way excludes those who currently are without such a device installed on their system.

The previous statment is a matter of opinion from one registered user "Mu Satach" hereafter referred to as "the Author".

The author reserves the right not to be responsible for the topicality, correctness, completeness or lameness quality of the information provided. Liability claims regarding damage caused by the use of any information provided, including any kind of information which is incomplete or incorrect, will therefore be rejected.

This disclaimer is to be regarded as part of the internet. If sections or individual terms of this statement are not legal or correct, the content or validity of the other parts remain uninfluenced by this fact.

LMAO.

Mu... you are too much sometimes. :)

Madmartigan
May 10th, 2004, 03:40:02 PM
I was just being sarcastic, I didn't expect such a hillarious reply though. From now on i think I will use an anological device to process the movies I see

(Alex) Jacen
May 10th, 2004, 04:32:17 PM
A slightly stupid question, but how does one go about covering up spoilers and stuff? I never really played about enough to find out.

Cool film. Great CGI. And the story wasn't all that bad. Worked well with the choice of characters they put in there. It felt like, if you disengaged your higher brain functions, it could work.

Kept spotting loads of other films in there, though. Shouldn't there be a Q in Carl?

Figrin D'an
May 10th, 2004, 04:39:12 PM
Originally posted by Jacen Dantarno
A slightly stupid question, but how does one go about covering up spoilers and stuff? I never really played about enough to find out.

To mask spoilers:

{spoiler}Spoiler text here{/spoiler}

Replace { } with [ ]

Example:

Darth Vader is Luke's father

(Alex) Jacen
May 10th, 2004, 04:47:31 PM
Thanks!

Ok...lets see if this works...

Well actually, I'm just a friar.

Yay!

Jinn Fizz
May 10th, 2004, 08:31:25 PM
Hehe, I loved that line. :lol

I also loved it when Igor said, "It's what I do."

:lol :lol :lol

Actually, there were a bunch o' great lines in this movie...that's at least one of the reasons why I'm gonna go see it a second time. :)

Mu Satach
May 11th, 2004, 10:34:10 AM
My favorite was I think if you're going to kill someone, kill them, don't stand there talking about it! & I'll clip something off.

(Alex) Jacen
May 11th, 2004, 11:00:42 AM
Lol. Yeah. And also "Do unto others before they do unto me,"...although, in the right context, Carl yelling "I know what it's for!" sounds anything but innocent. :D

Dasquian Belargic
May 11th, 2004, 02:20:57 PM
:lol This movie was hilarious. I went with two friends tonight, and the three of us were the only ones laughing for about 3/4 of the film. My favorite part was when Helsing goes to see the grave-digger, who tries to hit him with the rake/fork then says "Sorry!". The ending was a bit cheesy/camp, and reminded me of the Lion King, but over all I got what I wanted - vampires, werewolves and Kate Beckinsale doing a ridiculous accent :D

Razielle Shadana
May 12th, 2004, 09:27:33 AM
It was quite funny..

Scariest feature: Dracula being portrayed by the Duke from Moulin Rogue. Yikes, I kept waiting for the "Like a Virgin" bit...

Lilaena De'Ville
May 12th, 2004, 11:53:05 AM
Wait wait wait - that was the same guy?

Originally posted by Dasquian Belargic
The ending was a bit cheesy/camp, and reminded me of the Lion King, but over all I got what I wanted - vampires, werewolves and Kate Beckinsale doing a ridiculous accent :D

I loved her accent. And I agree about the ending. :)

Dasquian Belargic
May 12th, 2004, 12:08:09 PM
I loved her accent too! I thought she was great in it. I loved the whole movie, really. It was just so camp, I couldn't help but laugh ^_^;

Mu Satach
May 12th, 2004, 12:10:44 PM
She lost her accent a few times... reminded me of Young Frankenstein and the shoe shine boy. :lol

Anbira Hicchoru
May 12th, 2004, 12:56:34 PM
This movie was cheesy on an epic scale. I was expecting a campy, brainless summer action flick, and thats what I got.

ReaperFett
May 13th, 2004, 07:09:22 AM
Cheesy B-movie fun, but cripes were the she-vampires annoying :)

2 things cracked me up though:

1 - Tough warrior in LOTR becomes a wimpy friar :D

2 - A feral Jackman popping claws to the sound of SNIKT? :lol

Dasquian Belargic
May 13th, 2004, 11:02:22 AM
Originally posted by ReaperFett

2 - A feral Jackman popping claws to the sound of SNIKT? :lol

haha yes. me and my friend were convinced he was wolverine, what with the amnesia and all.

Kyle Raiden
May 13th, 2004, 12:12:54 PM
Yeah...he was doing a load of Wolverine expressions, like the "Oh no, I just killed an innocent little girl" face, the "Don't mess with me, I can just extend my middle claw and stab you in the throat" face, the "Look at me, I'm cool, expecially with my dudey toys" face, and several others that I haven't thought of names for yet.

And yes, you're right. I don't have a life.

AmazonBabe
May 16th, 2004, 03:51:09 PM
Originally posted by JMK
Saw it, a good way to spend a couple hours on a sunday afternoon. :)

I kept expecting Friar Karl to look up and scream "NAZGUL!!!!!" when the brides flew into town! :lol

OMG! I think I busted a few ribs while laughing at that! I thought the EXACT same thing! :lol

It was a verreh fun movie and I just might go see it again. Hell, I liked the soundtrack, so i'm definitely gonna get that. :)

Jinn Fizz
May 16th, 2004, 05:26:25 PM
I took my mum to see it today...she's a fan of the old Universal monster flicks, so I figured she'd like Van Helsing. And she did, she enjoyed it mucho :).

Another line I loved...

"I'll die before I help you!"

"Oh, don't be so boring, everyone who says that dies."

:lol

I love the soundtrack too, I ordered it online, so hopefully it should arrive sometime this week.

Drake Shadowstalker
May 17th, 2004, 09:53:11 PM
They inserted CGI in that movie as often as they could and it got really annoying. But it was still cool. I couldn't believe my ears and eys when I recognized the guy playing the Friar. It was hilarious.