PDA

View Full Version : KOTOR 2: Sith Lords

Ka' el Darcverse
May 4th, 2004, 06:12:30 PM
I haven't really read anything more than what I got in my GMR mag this month. BioWare will not be producing the game, rather a new company known as Obsidian Entertainment, which was founded from members from Black Isle games who were responsible for Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale and Fallout. BioWare however will observe the project.

Timeframe 5 years prior to the Malak led Sith War, you are a Jedi Knight who was in exile during the war who has returned to find the council disbanded. You can still choose to be a lightsider or a darksider, it all depends on your choices.

Combat is supposedly streamlined but based on the origional system and many of the old characters will be making cameos while new characters will be the center of the game, including the one you control.

Anybody heard anything else about this game?

Figrin D'an
May 4th, 2004, 06:53:32 PM
I read the preview article in EMG. I'm not quite as excited about it as I once was, but I'm still hopefully for a good game.

Jedi Master Carr
May 4th, 2004, 08:16:28 PM
I have read that is after the last one.

Morgan Evanar
May 4th, 2004, 10:33:57 PM
Originally posted by Figrin D'an
I read the preview article in EMG. I'm not quite as excited about it as I once was, but I'm still hopefully for a good game. Why not? The people making the game have a stellar track reccord.

Figrin D'an
May 4th, 2004, 11:41:04 PM
Originally posted by Morgan Evanar
Why not? The people making the game have a stellar track reccord.

What I have heard so far about the story is a little... eh. And, I know that the Obsidian has good people working on it, but I'm always a little skeptical when projects change hands. Sometimes, there's a desire to make it different from the original to distinguish it, and it ends up being too different, and it loses some of the qualities that made the initial game a success.

As I said, I'm still hopeful that the game will be just as successful as it's predecessor. I'm just waiting until I see/hear more about it at this point.

Dasquian Belargic
May 5th, 2004, 07:36:58 AM
No more BioWare? :\

Oh well, hopefully it will be good :)

AmazonBabe
May 5th, 2004, 05:47:51 PM
:eek Must play KOTOR first...

Lady Vader
May 5th, 2004, 08:50:07 PM
Here! Lookee! http://www.lucasarts.com/games/swkotor_sithlords/

(That animated pic freaks me out man...)

Also, just to correct a minor detail...

BioWare will not be producing the game, rather a new company known as Obsidian Entertainment...

BioWare developed KOTOR... LucasArts was the producer.

Ka' el Darcverse
May 5th, 2004, 10:17:40 PM
Was simply quoting the article Mrs. Carter (my fifth grade english teacher), they refered to BioWare as producing the game, I quote them as such.

Dasquian Belargic
May 6th, 2004, 10:02:59 AM
Ohhhhhh those characters look cool. I like the albino Jedi and masked Sith :D

AmazonBabe
May 6th, 2004, 10:29:26 AM
Originally posted by Ka' el Darcverse
Was simply quoting the article Mrs. Carter (my fifth grade english teacher), they refered to BioWare as producing the game, I quote them as such.

Well, here's you chance to correct your fifth grade teacher. ^_^;

Ka' el Darcverse
May 6th, 2004, 11:22:52 AM
lol, well actually you're right though so it doesn't really matter and besides I corrected Mrs. Carter all the time lol ;)

Zasz Grimm
May 9th, 2004, 05:46:33 AM
I never got into KOTOR. The gameplay just wasnt my style. That and when I was in dallas with james, christin, and taylor (when he was around)

james and taylor always played the game. They lived, ate, and breathed the game. James was like...

"How can I do this? But do it better, and more evil."

That and my best friend chris played the game for 32 hours in intervals at my house. meh. IF they fix the gameplay and make it like obiwan, i'll play.

Prefect Hekyl'ahui'cspala
May 9th, 2004, 11:04:36 AM
Does anyone know why LucasArts seems to love X-box more than GC or PS2? They need to release it for more consoles. I'm sure they'd get a lot more sales then.

I wanted to play KotoR really badly but I have a GC, not an X-box. >_< O_o

Dasquian Belargic
May 9th, 2004, 11:06:31 AM
You can play it on PC too, you know. And I'm guessing they release it on X-Box only because they have some deal with Microsoft?

Prefect Hekyl'ahui'cspala
May 9th, 2004, 11:08:36 AM
I know, but my PC doesn't have the proper CPU and RAM required. O_o :(

Zasz Grimm
May 10th, 2004, 08:11:48 PM
Originally posted by Dasquian Belargic
You can play it on PC too, you know. And I'm guessing they release it on X-Box only because they have some deal with Microsoft?

That and the Xbox has better graphics, faster load time, etc.

Gurney Devries
May 10th, 2004, 11:50:41 PM
^ I misunderstood your post to mean that the X-Box has better graphics and load times than the PC version. :p I was prepared to take some screenshots and post them.

In any event, the X-Box is easier to develop for and has the kind of audience that the developers want. Plus, I'm sure Microsoft tossed a huge amount of money towards Bioware to make it X-Box only (much the same way as Sony keeps tossing Square money). I get the distinct impression that Bioware type RPGs wouldn't do so well on, say, the PS2.

Obi Wan sucked, by the way. One of the worst SW licensed games Lucasarts has vomited forth. Right up there with the Phantom Menace game.

Zasz Grimm
May 11th, 2004, 01:57:47 AM
Originally posted by Gurney Devries
^ I misunderstood your post to mean that the X-Box has better graphics and load times than the PC version. :p I was prepared to take some screenshots and post them.

In any event, the X-Box is easier to develop for and has the kind of audience that the developers want. Plus, I'm sure Microsoft tossed a huge amount of money towards Bioware to make it X-Box only (much the same way as Sony keeps tossing Square money). I get the distinct impression that Bioware type RPGs wouldn't do so well on, say, the PS2.

Obi Wan sucked, by the way. One of the worst SW licensed games Lucasarts has vomited forth. Right up there with the Phantom Menace game.

I more or less used it as an example for gameplay. I should have stated Outcast, or Jedi Acadamy. I enjoy that kind of gameplay more.

AmazonBabe
May 11th, 2004, 02:32:46 PM

Obi-Wan was meh, but what really bugged me about Phantom was that it was too frusterating to play at times. I actually broke down and found the cheats to just run through the game, but lo and behold, you could only enter the cheats so many times before it wouldn't take them anymore. Laaaaaaaaaaaaame. |I

Gurney Devries
May 11th, 2004, 03:37:28 PM
Originally posted by AmazonBabe
Obi-Wan was meh, but what really bugged me about Phantom was that it was too frusterating to play at times. I actually broke down and found the cheats to just run through the game, but lo and behold, you could only enter the cheats so many times before it wouldn't take them anymore. Laaaaaaaaaaaaame. |I TPM was one of the only poor videogame purchases I've ever made. It came out about a week before the movie. I was all hyped to go see TPM in theaters, thinking it would be awesome. So I bought the game and decided not to play it until after I saw the movie, so I wouldn't spoil anything. Graaagh. By then, it was too late to return it. :( I still have it sitting around here somewhere.

When I first saw trailers for KOTOR, I thought it would have combat similar to JK2 and JA, so I can understand where you're coming from Zasz. However, combat like that would completely ruin the entire system, since it is, at its heart, a turn based RPG. If you didn't like the gameplay, that probably means you simply don't like turn based RPGs.

IMO, it really raised the bar for turn based combat. There was no stupid Final Fantasy fights, where the good guys line up on one side, the bad guys line up on the other and then they run over to the other side, smack them with the same attack every turn and run back. Combat was very, very similar in NWN, but it was much more refined in KOTOR. Still, for those of you who really loved KOTOR and can't wait for the sequel, I reccomend giving NWN a shot. The graphics aren't exactly on par with KOTOR, but you'll feel right at home with the gameplay.

Figrin D'an
May 11th, 2004, 10:56:50 PM
I've played both NWN and KOTOR, and KOTOR is the superior game, IMO. NWN moves really slowly in some spots. Not as tedious as, say, Baldur's Gate, but it still has it's bad spots. KOTORs character models are much better than NWN, giving it the edge graphics-wise.

Maybe I'm gushing a bit, but KOTOR is one of the best turn-based RPG's I've ever played. I've quelled my excitement about the sequel, but if Obsidian doesn't screw too much with the formula that Bioware established and just makes subtle yet important tweaks and adjustments, it has the potential to top the first game. That's what I hope for anyway.

Gurney Devries
May 12th, 2004, 02:03:16 AM
Typo. I meant that the graphics aren't on par with KOTOR. Basically, I just said the same things as you. :)

Sarr Koon
May 15th, 2004, 01:17:18 AM
Can someone tell me what NWM stands for?

Don't worry about the gameplay changing. I read an article and Obsidian is only making small minor adjustments to the formula that BioWare had set up. I was hoping for a completly different setting in KOTOR II but if Sith Lords is anything like the original it will own. A awesome thing I heard about Sith Lords is that the path that you choose for your character will effect others that are with you. KOTOR is definatly one of the best games I have ever played. Final Fantasy 10 and KOTOR are my top 2 favorite games =)

Dasquian Belargic
May 15th, 2004, 03:02:17 AM
NWN = Neverwinter Nights :)

Sarr Koon
May 16th, 2004, 04:47:46 PM
Ahh ok. Thx. that is a good game btw

Drake Shadowstalker
May 17th, 2004, 09:43:12 PM
Those games will do that anyway...

Kieran Devaneaux
May 17th, 2004, 09:47:28 PM
I have been speaking with a friend about KOTOR 2....she says she hopes the mini-games (swoop races, fighter attacks, etc.) are optional in the second one. (So do I, I didn't like those either)

And I enjoyed killing off the annoying characters, too. Too bad I didn't get Carth...

Sarr Koon
Jun 20th, 2004, 08:46:58 PM
OMFG, this game looks so unbelievable. I am almost shaking with anticipation already. I just spent about an hour looking at videos and other stuff. I have only one thing to say. I can scarcely believe that The Sith Lords might be better then the original, but judging from what I've seen so far it has a pretty decent shot. Who else is really looking forward to this game? Its set to be released February 2005 but rumor had it that it could be released as early as December 2004. How cool would that be? I know the first chance I can, I'm gonna reserve a copy and dust off my X-Box.

Dasquian Belargic
Jun 21st, 2004, 09:17:50 AM
December? That's too long to wait!

Drake Shadowstalker
Jun 21st, 2004, 10:23:29 AM
I agree. Hmm, since its coming out for PC and X-Box at the same time, I am gonna buy it for PC. Better loading times and graphics probably. Plus, the version for X-Box will probably have 10 different bugs in it like the first.

Dasquian Belargic
Jul 15th, 2004, 10:23:01 AM
Another news update on KOTOR 2 at IGN

http://pc.ign.com/articles/530/530494p1.html?ui=watch

Including images of 'Darth Sion (http://media.pc.ign.com/media/608/608569/imgs_1.html)'.