PDA

View Full Version : Is your character a 'Mary Sue'? Now's your chance to find out!

Dasquian Belargic
May 4th, 2004, 11:29:44 AM
I adapted this from something I found on LiveJournal. The amount of times you answer ‘Yes’ to the below questions will determine whether or not your character is a Mary Sue. What is a Mary Sue, you ask? Well, it’s quite simple! A Mary Sue is a character who is chock full of personality quirks, abilities, strengths and other traits that make them fabulously unique, but is notably void of any weaknesses or flaws, save for those that will make the character cooler. So take a gander at these questions and see how many you answer yes to.

Name

1. Does your character have multiple middle names?
2. Is your character's name also a weapon (Axe, Scythe, Scimitar)?
3. Is your character's name difficult to pronounce?
4. Is it Japanese?
5. Does your character's name sound suspiciously like the name of a character from any Star Wars book/comic/movie (Duke Cloudstrider)?
6. Is your character's name ripped from game or anime?

Vital Stats

7. Do any of the physical attributes you listed have more than one adjective attached?
8. Do you describe your character's eyes in more than two words?
9. Is your character's eye colour unusual in some way? Do you refer to them as 'orbs' or ‘oculars’?
10. Do your characters eyes change colour? Does this happen when they’re angry?
11. Is your hair something other than the standard hair colours (blonde, brunette or red)?
12. Do you mention your character having streaks or other unusual characteristics to hair colour? Is this streak white?
13. Does your character have ridiculously long hair? Does it present no hindrance to your character except as dramatic wind-blown material?
14. Does your character have flawless or porcelain skin?
15. Is your character's weight not proportional with his/her height?
16. Would your character put an average body-builder to shame?
17. Do you give your character's weapon a name from another language? Is it Latin?
18. Is your character a race that is not actually in any Star Wars, canon of EU?
19. Did you take one of the existing races and tweak it to your own specifications?
20. Does your character claim to have wings?
21. Is there a vital aspect of your character's appearance (due to race or occupation) that is important for the character's powers? Is it unsightly and you have had it removed somehow yet retain the power behind it?
22. Does your character have some kind of scar, birthmark or unusual marking that your character feels great shame at yet it still somehow does not detract from said character's appearance?
23. Is your character human yet somehow manages to have some kind of odd non-human trait (such as bleeding blue blood)? Do you have no explanation for this trait? Or, is the trait explained away in a long, drawn out and completely implausible, dramatic and/or unlikely scenario?

Class/Job

24. Do you combine more than two classes/jobs (healer and warrior)? More than three?
25. Do you take one of the jobs and make it into something it really is not?
26. Do you mix classes/jobs from other sources, such as video games
27. Is your character skilled beyond their years and considered a star pupil or master at whatever it is they do?
28. Do you just fill in this part of the app with 'Lots' in an attempt to be clever?

History/Background

29. Was your character orphaned?
30. Was s/he related in any way to any main character from Star Wars canon or EU?
31. Was s/he a 'special' child in any fashion?
32. Did your character personally know any of the characters from Star Wars canon or EU?
33. Is your character related to one of the characters from Star Wars canon or EU?
34. Did your character rise to some sort of power very quickly?
35. Does your character seek to replace one of the characters from Star Wars canon or EU?
36. Is your character fascinated by/obsessed over a character from Star Wars canon or EU?
37. Was your character raised in a temple by a kindly priest/monk?
38. Were your character's parents important in some way and that's why they were killed?
39. Does your character want revenge for the death of a family member or loved one?
40. Does your character give one reason for wanting to become something (a Jedi for instance) so that they can be like their father/mother/brother/sister/pet dog before them?
41. Did you inherit some kind of great heirloom from your dead parents (or any other family member)? Was it an ancient blade of some kind? Was the blade covered in ruins, and often described as ornate?
42. Do you possess any kind of soul sucking weapon? Does it make you cold and ruthless? Do you use it as an excuse to do totally out of character things, such as killing randomly even though you are a good guy?
43. Do you belong to a special bloodline/race of any sort?
44. Has your character experienced some kind of personal trauma that resulted in mental illness? Does this mental illness drive the character to kill, hate people, or otherwise engage in 'evil' behaviour?
45. Does your character come from a poor or destitute background? Did s/he have to do something desperate to get out of it?
46. Was your character sold into slavery or forced to serve someone in some way?
47. Was your character 'better' than others in whatever program/school/military training facility s/he was in?
48. Is your character's background suspiciously like the storyline of another game/book/movie/tv show and makes no sense when inserted into the Star Wars galaxy?
49. Do later portions of your background contradict earlier portions?

Personality/Quirks

50. Is your character weak, helpless and generally a co-dependant damsel?
51. Is s/he a ruthless killer without remorse?
52. Do you use more than four adjectives to describe how 'good' or 'evil' your character is?
53. Do you repeat the same thing over and over again over several paragraphs?
54. Is your character considered aloof or anti-social?
55. Do you describe your character as mysterious or an enigma?
56. Is your character absolutely pure of heart without a mean bone in his/her body?
57. Is your character a psychotic killer whose sole purpose in life is to killkillkill?
58. Is your character one of the bad guys, and yet at the same time embodies virtue and light for no explicable reason?
59. Do you list characteristics and quirks that directly conflict with other characteristics and quirks?
60. Does your character have phobias or flaws that you neglect to mention in the background and provide no justification for?

Player's Goals

61. Do your goals involve getting lots of power and items for your character?
62. Is your main goal for your character to get into lots of combat?
63. Does your character have any motivations for their goal of galactic domination, other than that they ‘are evil’?

Powers

64. Do your powers have anything to do with sentient weaponry?
65. Do you take every single power you can possibly get?
66. Does your character have any special abilities that aren't found anywhere in any Star Wars canon or EU?
67. Are the powers you are claiming actually from another source all together that has nothing to do with Star Wars?

In General

68. Have you neglected to run your posts through spell check?
69. Have you neglected to check for proper grammar?
70. Did you use a thesaurus in order to sound smarter?
71. Did you actually lurk, read the FAQ, and generally aqquaint yourself with the board before posting?

Rhea Kaylen
May 4th, 2004, 01:12:22 PM
I got about 12-14 "yes"es. How am I doing?

Dasquian Belargic
May 4th, 2004, 01:13:44 PM
That's not bad. I figure a lot of people will have 10-15. It's if you're getting 20 and above that you should be worried :D

Rhea Kaylen
May 4th, 2004, 01:25:47 PM
Oh, good, no burning Rhea at the stake...yet. Thank ye. :)

Gurney Devries
May 4th, 2004, 01:35:40 PM
Being generous, I got 5. If anyone can genuinely say that they didn't answer yes to any of those, I'd be surprised. It just goes to show you that anything you can come up with has been done before.

However: If 20 or more of those apply to you, you might consider cutting down on the cliches. ;)

Morgan Evanar
May 4th, 2004, 01:40:21 PM
OOC stuff:
I lurked and read the FAQ. Years ago.

IC Stuff:
6 for Morg
6 for Adia
4 for Mili
1 for West

Loklorien s'Ilancy
May 4th, 2004, 01:45:22 PM
I got 11. If it wasn't for the Lupine schtick, I'da got maybe a 4

Travis North
May 4th, 2004, 01:59:44 PM
I got 4... Did I win anything?

Charley
May 4th, 2004, 03:50:19 PM
Sanis - 3
Anbira - 14
Taataani - 7
Vader - 14
Vymes - 5
Eluna - 12
Dan - 5
Diego - 11

Figrin D'an
May 4th, 2004, 04:08:19 PM
5 for me.

imported_J'ktal Anajii
May 4th, 2004, 04:08:58 PM
Sejah- 6
J'ktal- 12

If it weren't for my Arabic-esque names, and the fact that some mongooses actually do have pink eyes that shift to red when angered or ecxited, you could knock three points off both of those fellows.

Dae Jinn
May 4th, 2004, 04:18:56 PM
I got around 6 for Dae (some sort of applied, so I just said "yes" to them). Mostly because I came to Fans from a DB message board :lol

ReaperFett
May 4th, 2004, 04:23:31 PM
I don't see how half of those are relevent. How does "Is your character's name ripped from game or anime?" relate to "chock full of personality quirks, abilities, strengths and other traits that make them fabulously unique, but is notably void of any weaknesses or flaws, save for those that will make the character cooler."?

Forgetting the last section, I'm on 3.

Class/Job

24. Do you combine more than two classes/jobs (healer and warrior)? More than three?
25. Do you take one of the jobs and make it into something it really is not?
26. Do you mix classes/jobs from other sources, such as video games
27. Is your character skilled beyond their years and considered a star pupil or master at whatever it is they do?
28. Do you just fill in this part of the app with 'Lots' in an attempt to be clever?
It's the Mara Jade and Coran Horn section! ;)

Nathanial K'cansce
May 4th, 2004, 04:26:29 PM
Got about 8 for Snacky.

spada
May 4th, 2004, 05:31:19 PM
something aint right... i got like 25 yes' and i constantly prevent from god-modding spada. maybe cause i marked the last 5 and answered multiple answers in each number for some.

Ryla Relvinian
May 4th, 2004, 06:51:50 PM
6 for me! Yes, I did tweak a race to my specifications, and yes she does have the whole orphaned/slavery/revenge for parent thing going on... Oh well. At least I read the FAQ. ;)

Zeke
May 4th, 2004, 07:04:41 PM
And the results are in.

Zeke: 3
Inu: 6
Kwiet: 2
Titian: 1

Lilaena De'Ville
May 4th, 2004, 07:10:20 PM
Um, I think I got a 5, but someone could argue with me if they like.

Dasquian Belargic
May 5th, 2004, 01:07:33 AM
I don't see how half of those are relevent. How does "Is your character's name ripped from game or anime?" relate to "chock full of personality quirks, abilities, strengths and other traits that make them fabulously unique, but is notably void of any weaknesses or flaws, save for those that will make the character cooler."?

It's just the cliché thing to do - name your character after your favorite character :p

Shawn
May 5th, 2004, 01:17:38 AM
Originally posted by Dasquian Belargic
It's just the cliché thing to do - name your character after your favorite character :p :uhoh

Corias Bonaventure
May 5th, 2004, 01:33:35 AM
Kale--5
Corias Bonaventure--3
Sharkeid Alharaba--2
Klaus Malborn--1
Arajah Ramanuja--5
Tayadhara Ramanuja--4
Virius--9

Kinda surprised they're so low. Anyone want to see how many of those questions they can trip with an off-the-top-of-the-head character profile?

Je'gan Olra'en
May 5th, 2004, 06:50:38 AM
Je'gan Olra'en - 4
Baracc Olra'en - 5
Minion Alghieri - 5
Choir Aztaroth - 6
Gash - 4

Hmm...

Dasquian Belargic
May 5th, 2004, 07:18:25 AM
Originally posted by Shawn
:uhoh

You're let off, because no one else uses that name. It's not like you called yourself Ryu, Cloud, or whatever :mneh I'm guilty of it too :mneh (vega!)

(Alex) Jacen
May 5th, 2004, 12:56:17 PM
I got about 6 for me...but then, thinking about it, when I finish my bio thingy, it'll probably be about 12. There should be a question about "did you make your character just so you could use a particular avatar?". I know I'm guilty of that, on several counts. :D

Kyle Krogen
May 5th, 2004, 04:15:01 PM
I got 5 for Kyle

If I did some of my other characters I would get alot more yes' but I simply dont have the time to do it.

Ryan Pode
May 5th, 2004, 05:17:04 PM
4 for Pode.
Lebron is just cliche.

Silvo
May 5th, 2004, 08:21:12 PM
some of these questions are based on just taking care with grammar and using good vocabluary and "flavorful" language to spice up the posts. I had about 10+ yes' from it.

Razielle Shadana
May 7th, 2004, 08:50:57 AM
Originally posted by Shawn
:uhoh

:\ that'd be me too....

Dasquian Belargic
May 7th, 2004, 12:17:52 PM
Originally posted by Corias Bonaventure
Kinda surprised they're so low. Anyone want to see how many of those questions they can trip with an off-the-top-of-the-head character profile?

http://www.maggiefic.com/marysue.htm :D

Rhea Kaylen
May 8th, 2004, 08:02:58 PM
Ooo...full, pouting lips. Smack! :D

Rhea Kaylen, henceforth Angelique Foxworth (who sounds rather like a "Clue" character)

Maxxey Sin
May 8th, 2004, 10:33:42 PM
Maxxey - 5

Ryla Relvinian
May 9th, 2004, 02:59:08 AM
Please refer to me as DeLacey Devereaux, gifted with the powers of Time Travel and Martial Arts, with Golden Sapphire eyes, Tousled Mahogany hair and the scent of Passionate Citrus. I used to be Julian Bashir's Catholic School Classmate, you know.

Oh this is priceless. :)

Dasquian Belargic
May 9th, 2004, 03:03:08 AM
And I, Princess Leia's Long-lost Twin, shall be Gabriella Ravenwing. With my Smoky Topaz eyes, I see dead people. I have an Intriguing Scar, Burnished Brown Sugar hair (tasty!) and am a black belt in 12978 Martial Arts. You'll know me by the Antique Night-Blossom scent that I leave everywhere I go!

Ryla Relvinian
May 9th, 2004, 03:49:51 AM
Oh, was that you leaving the night-blossoms everwhere? That's it, you're cleaning the Jedi Bathroom this week.