PDA

View Full Version : Installing XP

Arya Ravenwing
Apr 30th, 2004, 10:05:03 AM
My manager at work has a question I don't have an answer to! She wants to install Windows XP on her computer that is already running Win98. Does she need to uninstall 98 completely before trying to instal XP, or can she just install XP and it will do everything that needs to be done?

Droo
Apr 30th, 2004, 10:11:20 AM
I think she can just install XP without having to worry about any uninstalling. But don't quote me on that. :\

Darth Viscera
Apr 30th, 2004, 11:17:37 AM
best to do a clean install of winxp rather than just an upgrade from win98, but an upgrade should work too. you'll just run into a higher number of errors and crap than you would with a clean install.

Arya Ravenwing
Apr 30th, 2004, 11:26:34 AM
How would one do a clean install?

Darth Viscera
Apr 30th, 2004, 11:31:26 AM
It'll give you that option during the installation process, especially if you boot from the install CD

Arya Ravenwing
Apr 30th, 2004, 11:49:02 AM
okay good, sounds pretty simple then. :)

imported_Firebird1
Apr 30th, 2004, 12:12:09 PM
Originally posted by Arya Ravenwing
My manager at work has a question I don't have an answer to! She wants to install Windows XP on her computer that is already running Win98. Does she need to uninstall 98 completely before trying to instal XP, or can she just install XP and it will do everything that needs to be done?

You can do an upgrade and keep many old files, supported programs, and settings.

I'd recommend this for home users though because a clean install is something that is good to do on a regular 6 month basis. And most times home users don't have the files they need either backed up or on a CD.

My suggestion is to run the CD from Windows, this way you can also run a wizard to ensure that your computer's hardware is compatable with WinXP....

Sanis Prent
Apr 30th, 2004, 12:25:29 PM
flatten & reinstall. Its the only way to be sure.

Arya Ravenwing
Apr 30th, 2004, 04:20:40 PM
It's the only way to be sure...what?

I have to be able to explain this to my manager, which means laymans terms please. Also, she'll want to know HOW to do it.

So just tell me the easiest thing for her to do.

Morgan Evanar
Apr 30th, 2004, 04:32:23 PM
Its usually a good idea to format the drive, but she looses everything. In the long run, its easier to work on if you're a geek.

In the meantime, just upgrade, and hope everything works. If it doesn't, fresh install.

Mu Satach
Apr 30th, 2004, 04:44:57 PM
Prep

1 - save everything on the computer that she wants to keep to a CD or whatever

2 - locate driver disks for any devices she has (printer, camera, scanner, etc.)

3 - find disks for all software (she will need to re-install it afterwards)

4 - determine if she has an Upgrade XP CD or a New XP CD
- if it's an Upgrade make sure to have the Key & CD's from Win98 handy as it will ask you for them.
- if it's a new full install the Key should be with the CD

Flatten

5 - Boot from the CD and follow the prompts to
- format the HD to NTFS file system (formating will erase all the data on the HD so vital to do the all the prep work)
- install XP

Reinstall

6 - Reinstall all devices: networking cards, video cards, printers, scanners, cameras, whatever

7 - Reinstall all programs

Originally posted by Arya Ravenwing
It's the only way to be sure...what?

So just tell me the easiest thing for her to do.

The only way to be sure that your PC isn't always crashing because of device conflicts or program conflicts or left over code from Win98 that doesn't work with XP.

Easiest - pay someone else do it ;)

Here's an article with screen shots
http://www.blackviper.com/Articles/OS/InstallXPPro/installxppro1.htm

Marcus Telcontar
Apr 30th, 2004, 04:48:38 PM
Originally posted by Sanis Prent
flatten & reinstall. Its the only way to be sure.

That used to be true, but XP does the upgrade from 98 to XP more than acceptably well. It's the single upgrade that I know will work.

Make sure the PC however is powerful enough. An upgraded PC will be slower than a fresh install. 256 mb at least Most 98 installed PC's never had that much, so check that first.

To do the upgrade - boot to 98, put the XP disk in, autoboot takes over and it's literally follow the bouncing ball. If XP detechts anythng that will stop an upgrade, it will stop the process and tell you exactly what it is - and it will warn you of any issues that could need to be fixed after install. Take note of these.. Usually, it's printer drivers need to be changed.

Other than that..... make sure AV programs are uninstalled first.