PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Charges 4 Under New Anti-Spam Law

Sable
Apr 28th, 2004, 10:33:42 PM
Apr 28, 8:24 PM (ET)

By TED BRIDIS

WASHINGTON (AP) - U.S. authorities charged four people in Detroit on Wednesday with e-mailing fraudulent sales pitches for weight-loss products, the first criminal prosecutions under the government's new "can spam" legislation.

Court papers identified the four as Daniel J. Lin, James J. Lin, Mark M. Sadek and Christopher Chung, all believed living in suburban Detroit. They were accused of disguising their identities in hundreds of thousands of sales pitches and delivering e-mails by bouncing messages through unprotected relay computers on the Internet.

Chung and Sadek appeared in U.S. District Court and were released on unsecured bonds, said Gina Balaya, a spokeswoman for the U.S. Attorney's Office. The Lins have not been arrested.

Sadek's lawyer, James L. Feinberg, said U.S. agents arrived at Sadek's home early Wednesday "out of the clear blue" and arrested him.

"He was absolutely shocked," Feinberg said. He said Sadek will plead innocent to the criminal charges, which have not yet been challenged in court.

"No one's done this before," Feinberg said. "It will be fun - not for my client but for me professionally."

The Lins and Chung could not be located at any of the addresses or telephone numbers listed in the court documents.

Authorities said their company sold a weight-loss patch under the corporate names AIT Herbal, Avatar Nutrition, Phoenix Avatar and others. The company allegedly operated out of Detroit and nearby communities of West Bloomfield and Birmingham.

"These people were sending spam e-mails to at least a million people," Balaya said.

Officials at the Federal Trade Commission, who planned to announce the arrests in Washington on Thursday, told U.S. postal investigators they had received more than 10,000 complaints about unwanted e-mails sent by the company. The U.S. attorney in Detroit, Jeffrey Collins, was expected at Thursday's announcement.

Investigators said they consulted Dr. Michael D. Jensen, a medical professor at the Mayo Medical School, who confirmed that ingredients in the weight-loss product sold in the disputed e-mails wouldn't work.

The "can spam" legislation, which went into effect Jan. 1, requires unsolicited e-mails to include a mechanism so recipients can indicate they do not want future mass mailings.

---

Associated Press writer Adrienne Schwisow in Detroit contributed to this report.

Darth Viscera
Apr 28th, 2004, 11:19:41 PM
put them in front of a firing squad!

Sanis Prent
Apr 28th, 2004, 11:23:28 PM
I'd rather have somebody sum up the productivity hours lost per year due to spam, and have them work that many hours of manual labor in a chain gang.

Figrin D'an
Apr 29th, 2004, 12:04:34 AM
I'm interested to see what happens when they start going after individuals for spam mailing who have had their machines compromised by spam bots and are unknowingly contributing to the problem.

That's when things will get ugly on the legal end.

Marcus Telcontar
Apr 29th, 2004, 05:52:01 AM
Originally posted by Figrin D'an
I'm interested to see what happens when they start going after individuals for spam mailing who have had their machines compromised by spam bots and are unknowingly contributing to the problem.

That's when things will get ugly on the legal end.

That problem has been faced in Australia where there have been anti spam prosections under various existing anti-scam laws. Anyway, the easiest way to get rid of spammers is follow the money trail - Once you have suspects there, it's not that hard to monitor their Internet actvities.

Besides, a PC that's been owned is pretty easy to tell. and it's not that hard to backtrack from there, given the right tools. These spammers arent the elite hackers, they make mistakes and are only realyl a level above script kiddies in skill, if that. The ones who are capable of hidign themselves are the type who loathe and detest spammers and I'm pretty sure would be also doing a bit of vigilante hunting.

So, really, I dont think it will be an issue.

Darth Viscera
Apr 29th, 2004, 02:29:52 PM
Line zem up against ze vall und shoot zem!

Xazor Elessar
Apr 29th, 2004, 03:31:28 PM
SPAM = le suck.

I hope they wipe it out and I hope that companies will listen once they start getting into trouble for it. There has got to be some way to stop the madness in my inbox!! :lol

Marcus Telcontar
Apr 29th, 2004, 03:37:43 PM
why? Dont you want v14gaRa and a Penis extention? Are you happy with teh size of your Penis???? Huh?? Huh??????

I cant imagine why anyone would not want either (/dripping sarcasm)

Figrin D'an
Apr 29th, 2004, 03:55:25 PM
The best guard against SPAM is to use some tact when dishing out your email address. My personal email address is exactly that... personal. It only gets given to friends and family. When I need to sign up for services or buy anything online, I use accounts set up through my hosted domain. If one starts getting flooded with crap, I just delete that account and make a new one.

Now, I know not everyone has the ability to do this. Still, however, it doesn't take much to go sign up for a Yahoo! account and use that as your "crap" email address.

Darth007
Apr 29th, 2004, 04:14:26 PM
exactly.

I have 2 email addresses setup through my internet providet(snet.net) and use one for friends/family and the other for signing up for stuff online. Besides that, I use common sense when giving sites my addy. I never get any spam.

Teleran Balades
Apr 29th, 2004, 04:47:52 PM
I use the 2 e-mail address system as well, so far i've only gotten about a dozen or so SPAM messages.

spada
Apr 29th, 2004, 05:14:08 PM
I have created a terrible torture. Put their heads in boxes, hold a free chili dinner, and have everyone crap into the boxes. They will suffocate from the loss of air, or they can eat the doo doo to survive.