PDA

View Full Version : computer security stuffs

imported_Taja Loraan
Apr 27th, 2004, 12:12:17 PM
I'm helping my aunt set up her computer all nice and good, and I'm not quite sure what kind of programs to install/download initially to make sure that her system is all protected and such. I've installed Windows XP (2004 version) on her PC and have Norton Antivirus as well as Mozilla up and running, but what else do I need ? I've read a bunch of things on this forum alone about software like Ad-Aware, Spybot, The Cleaner, etc., as well as various firewalls, but not sure which ones I need along with Norton. Also, if I install certain McAfee programs along with Norton (like McAfee Firewall and Internet Security), will it run ok ?

Morgan Evanar
Apr 27th, 2004, 12:21:50 PM
I don't know. I'd rather have ZoneAlarm Firewall instead of mcafee. I wouldn't touch anything but Spybot and Ad-aware for spyware scrubbing.

That really should be it.

Figrin D'an
Apr 27th, 2004, 12:25:33 PM
For a firewall, try ZoneAlarm (www.zonelabs.com). Free download, and it has great program control. For dealing with spyware, Ad-Aware and Spybot are both good. Many of us have and use both regularly, although Ad-Aware is more user-friendly. McAfee has an anti-spyware program now as well that is getting good reviews, although I myself have not tried it.

imported_Firebird1
Apr 27th, 2004, 12:47:00 PM
1) Zone Labs Zone Alarm Firewall... Get from link above!!

2)Turn on Xp's Internet Connection Firewall

3) Use Adware once a month and an Anti-Virus once a week...

imported_Taja Loraan
Apr 27th, 2004, 12:54:11 PM
Yeah, McAfee's anti-spyware prgoram is included in McAfee Internet Security. I used their firewall for a while and it was just ... annoying. x_x; I suppose I might have had it configured wrong, but still. I'll try out Zone Alarm, as well as Ad-Aware and Spybot. Thanks. =]

*EDIT - This place should just have a separate forum for tech help, lol, seeing as that's what half the threads seem to be about. XD

Also, onh another note, my aunt has like, 4 hard drives on her PC, three of which are completely useless. I might have to format the main drive soon (the one which has XP installed on it and all that), in which case, would it be possible to transfer some essential files (like mp3s and whatnot - you see where my priorities lie, lol) do one of the other drives beforehand ?

imported_Firebird1
Apr 27th, 2004, 01:30:46 PM
3 that are useless??

Not formatted or partitioned?

And if you can get those 3 drives working you can store Mp3's or document files on them.

Now depending on if you use WMP9 or not you might need to back up your licenses for the Mp3's...

EDIT: Not MP3s!

WMAs!!!!