View Full Version : American freedom and democracy for all

Dasquian Belargic
Apr 26th, 2004, 03:00:26 PM
A friend just linked me to this. I thought it was pretty striking :|

http://forum.galeyisrael.com/forum/files/dontloot.wmv

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Apr 26th, 2004, 03:02:52 PM
I can't see it :(

All I get is some kind of hard coding or some-such; I have no idea what it is :\

edit: nm, I got it to work :( I can't believe that

Dasquian Belargic
Apr 26th, 2004, 03:03:30 PM
Tried right-click > save as?

Sanis Prent
Apr 26th, 2004, 03:54:42 PM
doesn't work for me either.

Travis North
Apr 26th, 2004, 03:58:14 PM
Bunch of pricks. There was no need for that. And over wood WTF.

Khendon Sevon
Apr 26th, 2004, 06:02:20 PM
Wow, that's... what do you expect? That’s not that bad compared to other wars or actions going on, they should be so lucky that that’s all that happened to them for looting.

Let’s not get into corruption of media, either… notice the lack of an interview with the person who said he was a taxi driver and that that car was his lively hood? *sigh*

Want to know something that brings a big WTF to mind? I was watching the Greek news with my father (via Satellite) and they had a vid clip of Israeli soldiers strapping Palestinian children to their vehicles so the cars wouldn’t get shot at…

Darth Viscera
Apr 26th, 2004, 06:21:13 PM
Don't use your livelihood to go out and break the law.

edit~especially if you live under Saddam, the punishment for thievery is getting your hand chopped off. Losing a $2000 car and carting the rest of your wood around in a rickshaw (LOL I'm going to hell) is a step in the right direction for human rights compared to being known as Muqty one-hand.

imported_Grev Drasen
Apr 26th, 2004, 06:32:45 PM
Originally posted by Khendon Sevon
Want to know something that brings a big WTF to mind? I was watching the Greek news with my father (via Satellite) and they had a vid clip of Israeli soldiers strapping Palestinian children to their vehicles so the cars wouldn’t get shot at…
It's cool to single out the US, though.

Darth Viscera
Apr 26th, 2004, 06:57:20 PM
Don't be silly! Everybody loves the US!

errr...:uhoh

Dasquian Belargic
Apr 27th, 2004, 01:47:22 AM
I just thought it was pretty disgusting. They could have put him in jail. I don't see what crushing his car achieved.

Travis North
Apr 27th, 2004, 05:13:24 AM
Or shooting before hand.

Droo
Apr 27th, 2004, 07:18:52 AM
It's double standards; besides soldiers are nothing more than men trained to fight and survive; they are not clergy or politicians. I don't in any way agree with what they've done but unless you've walked a mile in their shoes who is to say what toll war can have on your moral conscience? This sort of thing happens all the time no matter the country, I'm sure there are as many sinners as there are saints in the British army, unfortunately that is, those getting their hands dirty don't have to see eye to eye with the views of their political leaders, they just carry out their orders.

Sanis Prent
Apr 27th, 2004, 08:41:49 AM
Considering that the general response to pandemic looting is to shoot the looters, I'd say they got off easy.

Darth Viscera
Apr 27th, 2004, 10:07:53 AM
Originally posted by Dasquian Belargic
I just thought it was pretty disgusting. They could have put him in jail. I don't see what crushing his car achieved.

At the end of the war, jails were overflowing with looters, no more room. That rules jail out. Aside from inflicting permanent bodily harm on the guy, crushing his car was the only way of getting him to stop. This is not a civilian force with a pre-existing tactical infrastructure confronting the looters, it's an exhausted military force that just entered the city and is largely in the throes of pacification. Don't expect them to act like policemen.

Don't be so quick to deal out judgement on those soldiers. They're boys your age, and if you had been dragged all the way around the world to engage in a huge invasion and had gone for days without any sleep, being under fire the whole time, who's to say that you would have exercised sound judgement?

Xazor Elessar
Apr 27th, 2004, 03:31:33 PM
My country is pathetic. :rolleyes

How sad. :(

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Apr 27th, 2004, 03:47:33 PM
Originally posted by Xazor Elessar
My country is pathetic. :rolleyes

How sad. :(

It's like Walter said. These guys are our age, over in another country fighting a war.

pathetic? hardly.

go live in Iraq for a little bit. It's a tad different than here, darlin'

imported_J'ktal Anajii
Apr 27th, 2004, 03:47:50 PM
edit-- nevermind.

Zacharia Dawnstrider
Apr 27th, 2004, 03:54:14 PM
Edit: Yeah, I agree. Nevermind. I'll keep my political and moral views to myself. Less likely to be bashed that way.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Apr 27th, 2004, 03:56:41 PM
Join up then. Show our boys how to do the right thing.

imported_J'ktal Anajii
Apr 27th, 2004, 03:57:17 PM
It's also effective.

We've played by the rules, and it isn't working. Now, we have to try a few new and interesting ideas, and maybe those will work.

And besides, we could jsut go back to warfare of two hundred years ago where we kill ANYONE we don't like, and loot the places ourselves, and don't even think about lifting a finger to help those who had nothing to do with it, but got caught in the middle, anyhow.

Zacharia Dawnstrider
Apr 27th, 2004, 03:59:37 PM
Oh, and there are plenty of women fighting in Iraq, not just the men.

However, I do think it is those boys who need to be taught a lesson in morality. Just because they're in the military and are taught to fight and survive does not mean that they have no sense of humanity.

Viewing this clip makes me wonder, though.

Oh, and I don't need to go and fight. I don't believe in anything that this supposed war is about -- and frankly, I'd rather not be a citizen of this country. :rolleyes

Sanis Prent
Apr 27th, 2004, 04:00:37 PM
If they played by the rules, as in the rules of martial law, then they would've shot the looter. This is even done in the US of A, when pandemic looting breaks out.

Yeah it sucks that the guy's taxi got flattened. He's still alive though. The army's not in the best position to play cop over there. The jails are full, the infrastructure is in disarray. Improvisation is the key. They removed his capacity to loot in this case.

If you want to find a different solution, by all means enlist and get hands-on experience in the Kobayashi Maru scenario.

Sanis Prent
Apr 27th, 2004, 04:02:10 PM
Originally posted by Zacharia Dawnstrider
I'd rather not be a citizen of this country. :rolleyes

If that's your mindset, Mexico's right down the road from you, IIRC. I don't mind people like you jumping ship. You make my taxes go up as it is.

imported_J'ktal Anajii
Apr 27th, 2004, 04:02:52 PM
Yeah, it could be worse. This could be Feudal Japan where looters, no matter what the infraction, were usually crucified Japanese style, gutted, or beheadded.

I'd say we were way more than nice to that fellow, and quite moral by teaching him that the weed of crime bears bitter fruit. Crime does not pay.

Zacharia Dawnstrider
Apr 27th, 2004, 04:03:14 PM
Excuse me? You have no clue where I live, obviously, and I don't make your taxes go up in the slightest. I'm a hard working citizen paying my own damn taxes in this damn country.

Get the facts, as you like to say.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Apr 27th, 2004, 04:04:38 PM
oh jeez, you mean there are WOMEN over there? holy crap!

you know, if you don't like this country that much, maybe you should put it to your backside and wander off to go live somewhere else.

Zacharia Dawnstrider
Apr 27th, 2004, 04:05:22 PM
Originally posted by s'Ilancy
oh jeez, you mean there are WOMEN over there? holy crap!

you know, if you don't like this country that much, maybe you should put it to your backside and wander off to go live somewhere else.

Exactly the idea. :)

imported_J'ktal Anajii
Apr 27th, 2004, 04:06:10 PM
So, if you don't believe in anything that the war stands for, then you advocate the murder of innocent civilians, the bombing of undefended towns, the government looting of anything they darn well pleased, toture, gassing thousands of civillians to death, and funding terrorist operations?

Okay, good to be clear on that. I, for one, am personally against all of the above.

Sanis Prent
Apr 27th, 2004, 04:06:49 PM
Originally posted by Zacharia Dawnstrider
Excuse me? You have no clue where I live, obviously, and I don't make your taxes go up in the slightest. I'm a hard working citizen paying my own damn taxes in this damn country.

Get the facts, as you like to say.

1. Southern California

2. You're a student and a dependancy on your parents or guardians if you're 18 or younger. If you're younger than 25, you're drawing a higher risk pool on any insurance put on you, which in turn, causes a trickle-down effect in premium rates and ultimately affects federal fiscal policy.

I think I have the facts :cool

Zacharia Dawnstrider
Apr 27th, 2004, 04:07:55 PM
Originally posted by Sanis Prent
1. Southern California

2. You're a student and a dependancy on your parents or guardians if you're 18 or younger. If you're younger than 25, you're drawing a higher risk pool on any insurance put on you, which in turn, causes a trickle-down effect in premium rates and ultimately affects federal fiscal policy.

I think I have the facts :cool

Actually, you're wrong about all of the above. Sorry to say. Guess you don't have the facts! :lol

Sanis Prent
Apr 27th, 2004, 04:08:42 PM
Xazor, Jesus doesn't like when you lie. He's watching, you know.

Zacharia Dawnstrider
Apr 27th, 2004, 04:10:01 PM
Xazor, Jesus doesn't like when you lie. He's watching, you know.

And I guess I didn't lie, did I?

Where the hell do you get your information? Obviously from the wrong source.

So, Sir Blashphemous, again...get the facts! :)

imported_J'ktal Anajii
Apr 27th, 2004, 04:12:26 PM
Ah-ha! I am undisputed!

And, I seriously thought you were under 25, and therefore you are in the high-risk insurance category, like Charley said. So you weren't exactly beign truthful, either.

Sanis Prent
Apr 27th, 2004, 04:13:40 PM
As far as numbero uno, you have admitted living there before. Could you have been lying then? Most definitely. I'm just going by what you've admitted prior.

Numero dos, well, I am a finance major, and its pretty tough to call BS on these things.

Zacharia Dawnstrider
Apr 27th, 2004, 04:14:08 PM
It's a beautiful game that one can play on the internet. How are you even so sure that this is Xazor? How do you know it is her, when it could very well be someone else. Perhaps someone she knows. Did that ever occur to you? Obviously not.

We all know what happens when one ASSumes things. :mischief

Sanis Prent
Apr 27th, 2004, 04:15:12 PM
Yes I'm sure this is in no way Xazor :rolleyes

Zacharia Dawnstrider
Apr 27th, 2004, 04:15:46 PM
:rolleyes

Good, then you'd actually be right about something for once.

:rolleyes

imported_J'ktal Anajii
Apr 27th, 2004, 04:17:01 PM
Please, never ever use that joke again. It really sucks, and nobody thinks it's funny.

And, please, your mind-games are nothing short of asinine.

Sanis Prent
Apr 27th, 2004, 04:18:41 PM
While we're on the subject of alt names, are there any other really old ones you want to talk about? :)

Zacharia Dawnstrider
Apr 27th, 2004, 04:18:52 PM
I defended my points and I cannot help it if you are so shallow as to not have the ability to accept the fact that someone else's opinion differs from your own.

:)

Zacharia Dawnstrider
Apr 27th, 2004, 04:19:23 PM
While we're on the subject of alt names, are there any other really old ones you want to talk about? :)

Hmmm....not that I can think of. How about yourself. You got any? :)

Morgan Evanar
Apr 27th, 2004, 04:19:24 PM
This thread is sufficiently off topic, and therefore closed. Thanks for playing.

Edit: If you want to actually discuss the topic at hand, and keep it on topic, feel free to start another thread.