PDA

View Full Version : Battle without Honor or Humanity

Sanis Prent
Apr 22nd, 2004, 06:50:09 PM
It had been a while since I'd taken a job, especially one like this.

It was a hit, and a big one at that.

Three tables down from me the Five Brothers of Sullust were meeting for dinner. It was their usual activity for Tuesday night, and it wasn't exactly a secret. Then again, when you're the Five Brothers of Sullust, you can afford to avoid secrecy.

There were half a dozen men packing heat, milling about on the ground floor of the restaurant. They didn't make it obvious, and in doing so, made it more than obvious. Upstairs, there were at least two of them, milling around the balcony seating. Everyone else was oblivious to the setup. This was the kind of place people came to eat as a status symbol. The food was good, but the presentation and perks were better. The place even had gold leaf trim on the napkins. Little details like that added up, and at 200 credits a plate, it was a big to-do.

I bided my time, and ordered a double of bourbon. There was still time before things would go down.

The Ace of Clubs
Apr 25th, 2004, 07:05:38 AM
It was difficult to move across the restaurant floor without brushing shoulders with a senator, syndicate boss or some other high-level scum. It was unlikely that the owners, upon deciding to open an eatery on Coruscant, had ever imagined that their restaurant would become such a hot spot for the rich and devious. Of course, over time they had adjusted to be more welcoming to the growing demographic of clients, who now enjoyed being waited on hand and foot, sampling the ‘finest cuisine’ that that city had to offer.

Tonight was no different for the Sullust Brothers. They looked over their menus as a matter of habit. Before even arriving they were aware of what they would eat. Something simple, small, and easy to eat – this allowed them to converse with one another, and anyone who should be joining them for dinner, without having to worry about spilling, splashing or spitting something over one another. The youngest of the brothers looked over the top of the leather-backed menu at the waitress who stood eagerly awaiting their orders and wondered when the management had brought in the new employee dress code. He read her name badge – Em Arin.

The waitress never asked for their order. It should have been cooked before they had stepped through the door. This was the first tip off, to the observant watcher, that Em Arin was new at the waitressing profession. Or at least, this Em Arin was. The real Em Arin had been working here for almost two years, and was well-known for her excellent service. However, it was difficult for her to serve anyone when she was bound, gagged and locked in the trunk of a speeder.

“Are you ready to order, sirs?” Keke Tikitari asked.

Arya Ravenwing
Apr 25th, 2004, 11:50:58 AM
The cream colored dress nearly slipped off her shoulders, but a bit of magical fashion design kept everything where it was supposed to be. Dark hair wisped away from her face, her normally pencil straight hair had a bit of curl. It had been heavily encouraged by a hot iron, and the results were less than she'd hoped. Still.

Arya Ravenwing waited by the maitre de, as the Bothan looked for her reservation. She hadn't wanted to come here, and usually avoided such places like the plague, but a job was a job, even if she didn't know exactly what it was yet. A salvage operation perhaps. Or another smuggling run.

There wasn't much Ravenwing wouldn't do, except contract killing. She was no bounty hunter. Didn't have the stomach for it. Killing in self defense was one thing, sneaking up and shooting someone in the back for a few thousand credits was hardly her cup of chai.

"Ah, ah, yes, Miss Vexen, your table with Mr. -" A crash from behind him masked the name he gave. A red-faced waitress hurriedly bent to pick up the plates she'd dropped. At a place like this, the poor girl'd be given her walking papers in less time than it took to pick up the mess. Conversation lulled in the aftermath, but picked up again in a few moments. The Bothan maitre de's fur was ruffled uncomfortably. With an effort, he smoothed himself into perfection again. "If you'd follow me?"

She inclined her head. Arya felt a bit naked, walking into a strange establishment wearing a dress, and shoes, and only a dress and shoes. She held a small clutch which had her holdout blaster and vibroshiv, a small, easily concealable version of the vibroblade.

As she entered the main dining area, her eyes automatically tracked to the balcony level. It was easy to pick out the bodyguards, although for who, she didn't know. Maybe her contact. The Bothan walked with a grace she wouldn't have pictured from his size, their path taking her by the bar. Blue eyes met blue eyes, and eyebrows rose into a shock of sandy hair sitting by a shot of bourbon. Sanis? The man masked his surprise at seeing her quickly, and just as quickly, she'd walked by.

Moments later, she was sitting in her chair, and being offered wine. "When will your companion be joining you, Miss Vexen?" The Bothan popped the cork deftly, and poured her a bit of red.

"I am not sure. Actually, I expected him to already be here." And ready to pick up the tab. Pick the place, pick up the tab. Arya shrugged, and the Bothan left her in peace. She picked up the slim menu, the lack of selections proclaiming that this place was not your average restaurant. Lack of prices, as well.

With a sigh, Arya set the menu down and picked up a pair of sticks that were lying next to her silverware. She'd never eaten with such utensils before, but around her most of the patrons were. Nothing left to do but ... wait.

Sanis Prent
May 19th, 2004, 11:14:34 PM
"I didn't exactly expect to see you in a place like this."

I approached Arya's table, glass of bourbon in hand.

"So who's paying?"

Arya Ravenwing
May 20th, 2004, 11:20:37 AM
She grunted, "None of your frelling business, Sanis." Arya fidgited a bit, fiddling with the strap of her dress. "Got a fancy date tonight? I bet she cost a fortune." The smuggler winked roguishly, and grinned. "Look, you better go, I don't think you're supposed to enjoy conversation in a place like this."

Sanis Prent
May 28th, 2004, 03:11:08 PM
"Well, as much as I'm paying, I intend to get my money's worth."

Glancing around the room, I sighed slightly.

"That, and it looks like we've both been stood up at the moment. Dubious company's better than none at all, right?"

Arya Ravenwing
May 28th, 2004, 03:33:50 PM
She checked her chrono, a slim silver deal that slid on her wrist like a bracelet. Dan was late, or perhaps this was another insane test of his. "Well, I suppose." Arya appraised the bounty hunter/ businessman. "You look more at ease than you did last time we met."

She didn't have to mention the planet they'd been stuck on together to get the man to squirm. Carshoulis Prime was an uncomfortable subject, but it didn't help to let him get too comfortable in her company. For all she knew he'd been hired to off her this time. Arya smoothly continued, changing the subject. "It appears that the big wigs are in town tonight." With her eyes she indicated the bodyguards on the second floor balcony.

Dan the Man
Jun 1st, 2004, 02:55:15 PM
Arya's commlink began to ring.

Arya Ravenwing
Jun 2nd, 2004, 01:11:09 PM
"Excuse me." Arya dug into the clutch on her lap, and carefully pulled her commlink from around the holdout baster. She turned a bit to the side, showing Sanis her mostly bare back, and answered the call. "Arya here."

Dan the Man
Jun 2nd, 2004, 01:15:16 PM
"I'm sorry, I must have a wrong number. I'm trying to reach Miss Vexen."

Arya Ravenwing
Jun 2nd, 2004, 01:20:31 PM
Frelling amatuerish mistake! The unexpected company of Sanis had made the name she'd assumed fly right out of her head. But, she recognized the voice on the other end of the line. "Ah, no, you have the correct number. I am Miss Vexen. How can I help you?"

Dan the Man
Jun 2nd, 2004, 01:26:35 PM
"Ah..."

Dan allowed a slight pause on his end, and then continued.

"Well, Miss Vexen, allow yourself a moment away from Mr. Prent, if you would. I'd like to speak to you in private."

Arya Ravenwing
Jun 2nd, 2004, 01:34:29 PM
"Certainly." She turned to Sanis. "I have to go powder my nose. You'll excuse me, yes?"

Sanis nodded, his amusement at her choice of words twitching up the corner of his mouth. Arya got up, commlink and clutch in hand, and made for the ladies room.

Dan the Man
Jun 2nd, 2004, 03:39:35 PM
"Are you ready to make some money, and possibly prove yourself right, Smuggler?"

Dan spoke evenly, once the bustle in the background had died down.

Arya Ravenwing
Jun 2nd, 2004, 07:12:07 PM
She sat on the leather sofa in the ladies lounge, remembering to cross her legs. "I'm always ready to make money, you know that Dan." Arya smiled sweetly at a woman washing her hands at the sink, and the lady looked slightly horrified, and hurried out.

Dan the Man
Jun 2nd, 2004, 07:20:01 PM
"Of course. You're a realist, after all."

Pouring a drink for himself, Dan continued.

"I have a feeling something terrible is going to happen at the restaurant tonight. I apologize in advance, but I can't make it to dinner. Hopefully, we can reschedule at a later date."

Pausing to take a drink, he resumes.

"So, to make it up for you, let me appeal to your realistic side. I take it you noticed the Five Brothers of Sullust across the room, and their security entourage?"

Arya Ravenwing
Jun 2nd, 2004, 07:36:40 PM
"Their security entourage, yes, but I didn't see them. . . " Arya shrugged to empty air. "But they're awfully short to begin with. If I was looking I'm sure it wouldn't take me long."

She paused. "I'm not an assassin, Dan."

Dan the Man
Jun 2nd, 2004, 07:40:50 PM
"You're a smuggler." Dan spoke matter-of-factly.

"But, then again, you don't hold any affectionate ties to your profession, right?"

He let the question hang in the air for a half second, and continued.

"I'm not asking you to kill them. I'm asking you to protect them."

Arya Ravenwing
Jun 2nd, 2004, 07:48:56 PM
Arya pursed her lips, and looked down at the ridiculous clutch in her lap. "With a holdout blaster?"

Dan the Man
Jun 2nd, 2004, 07:51:29 PM
"I didn't say how to do it."

Dan continued, with a tinge of humor to his voice.

"You could always smuggle them to safety. Your call."

More seriously, he continues.

"There are two people in the restaurant that will make an attempt on their lives. I know the identity of one of them."

Arya Ravenwing
Jun 2nd, 2004, 07:55:01 PM
"Oh, you're a funny one." She was feeling slightly annoyed. "The Five Brothers are covered with bodyguards. You really think they need me, too?" On the other hand, it was a little nice to think that he thought she could do it.

Unless he didn't think she could do it. That wasn't such a nice thought.

Dan the Man
Jun 2nd, 2004, 07:57:00 PM
"Yes." Dan replied, once again matter-of-factly.

"Of course they need you too. After all. You know who one of the assassins is, as well."

Arya Ravenwing
Jun 2nd, 2004, 08:11:07 PM
"I will after you tell me." But she was having a sneaking suspicion she knew who he was talking about. She coughed delicately as another woman entered the lounge.

Dan the Man
Jun 2nd, 2004, 08:16:15 PM
"Do I really have to?" Dan queried, urging his young accomplice to read between the lines.

Arya Ravenwing
Jun 2nd, 2004, 08:25:14 PM
"Prent, right? So you want me to. . . stop him." Her voice had dropped in volume significantly as the other occupant of the lavish refresher had locked herself into a stall. "With a holdout blaster."

Dan affirmed it, and she sighed. "I guess the only question I need answered before I say if I'll do it is, how much?"

Dan the Man
Jun 2nd, 2004, 08:26:23 PM
"What is it worth to you?"

Dan turned the question on a dime.

Arya Ravenwing
Jun 2nd, 2004, 08:28:51 PM
To fire on a man she had a professional admiration for, and face an unknown second assassin while protecting the Five Brothers, who'd undoubtably mistake her for a target as well?

"One hundred sixty thousand."

Dan the Man
Jun 2nd, 2004, 08:31:51 PM
"One hundred fifty-nine."

Dan countered, adamancy in his voice.

"More on principal, I suppose. I abhor face value. No matter, you'll earn every credit. That is, if the job's done."

Arya Ravenwing
Jun 2nd, 2004, 08:36:54 PM
She snorted. "If the job isn't done, I'll most likely be dead and unable to collect anyway. In the off chance that I do the job and expire anyway, I'd like the money forwarded to my accounts. Threepio will dispose of it correctly." Arya checked the power cell on her blaster, and unthreaded the tie of her dress that went around her waist.

The blaster was tucked away again as the other woman left her stall and exited the lounge without washing her hands. Arya made a note not to touch the door handle on her way out.

Dan the Man
Jun 2nd, 2004, 08:39:09 PM
"I'm sure you'll do just fine."

And with that, Dan closed the commlink.

Arya Ravenwing
Jun 2nd, 2004, 08:56:45 PM
Frack! Arya tied the bit of silk about her waist once more, in a loose knot that would untie easily. Then she stared in the mirror for a moment. There might have been lines on her face had she been totally human, which she wasn't. The years were coming on, but she seemed untouched by them, gifted, or cursed, with a longer lifespan that was standard.

But tonight could very well be her last night.

And all for money. She chided herself, and thought about Sanis. He'd been a royal pain in the butt on Carshoulis, but he hadn't been totally unhelpful.

She didn't intend to kill him, but those were famous last words. Besides, he probably wouldn't hesitate to plug her right between the eyes, except that she'd saved his life on Carshoulis. Honor among thieves? Arya shook her head, and stalked out of the lounge and threaded her way back to her seat.

On the way she marked the Five Brothers at their table, five short Sullustian natives, slobbery and bizarre. And surrounded by bodyguards. Arya nearly bumped an attractive young waitress, longish black hair and tilted eyes. She aplogized, and returned to her table, where Sanis was still sitting.

She settled herself next to Sanis rather than across from him, straightening her dress, and sighed. "I got stood up. Any luck with yours?" He was sitting facing the Five Brothers, she noticed.

Sanis Prent
Jun 2nd, 2004, 09:00:38 PM
"No such luck"

I winced, raising my glass slightly.

"I decided to take myself out on a date, I guess."

Taking a swallow, I rested my glass on the table again.

"Anyway, I need to go take a leak. I'll be back in a bit, but don't wait up."

Rising to my feet, I nonchalantly picked up my briefcase by my chair, and walked toward the restroom.

Arya Ravenwing
Jun 2nd, 2004, 09:03:44 PM
Frell. The briefcase. She wasn't born yesterday, and there were about a hundred weapons that could be broken down and hidden in such a case. "Don't fall in."

Arya eyed the crowd, looking for anyone who looked like they were paying an unordinate amount of attention toward the Five Brothers, and sighed when it seemed that everyone was. The men's room doors closed behind Sanis, and she got to her feet, hurrying nonchalantly after him.

Sanis Prent
Jun 2nd, 2004, 11:35:57 PM
I entered the restroom casually enough locking the door behind me, and made my way for the farthest stall. Closing the door behind me and locking it, I sat on the commode, hoisted my briefcase on my lap, and opened it up.

The contents of the case weren't my usual fare. Pulling them out, I gave them a looking over. White pants, white frock, white hat. A proper kitchen staff's uniform. I stripped down to my boxer briefs, and slid the white garments on, folding my previous outfit neatly into the case, before closing it up, and sliding it behind the toilet, which I then flushed.

I stepped out of the stall, adjusted my hat in the mirror, and turned the sonic faucet on, which began to oscillate and hum. With the background noise muffling my own sounds, I walked to the far wall, unlatching the high window, and swinging it outwards. With a grunt, I reached up, and began to pull myself through the opening.

Arya Ravenwing
Jun 3rd, 2004, 12:45:54 AM
Arya loitered by the bathroom door, wishing that there were some public comms so she wouldn't be too obvious. She tried to use her second sight to see inside the men's bathroom (definetely a first), but it failed her and she saw nothing. She waited about another thirty seconds, and another man came by to use the refresher.

The dark haired woman ignored the older man's leer as he pushed his way through the door - and stopped abruptly as the door didn't budge. Locked. He collared the nearest waiter and started complaining, loudly. Arya tried not to look interested as she casually scanned the busy dinner scene on the main floor.

Sanis Prent
Jul 28th, 2004, 11:28:49 PM
I ran along the back of the building, keeping close to the wall. At the first sign of pedestrians, I slowed my gait to a leisurely walk. On top of that, I made eye contact, and smiled. Nobody suspects the normal and courteous.

In a manner of two minutes, I made it to the utility door in the rear. Opening the door, I entered into the kitchen.

Arya Ravenwing
Jul 29th, 2004, 12:23:12 AM
Arya moved to the bar, smiling at a flushed businessman as she sat down. She kept a clear line of sight to the men's room door, and after ordering she turned her back to the bar, leaning on her elbows.

The mens room was visible in her peripheral vision, but the Five Brothers were in front and to her right. Waiters and waitresses flitted amongst the tables, bringing hot food from the kitchen.

In the corner of her eye she saw an employee with a key coming to open up the refresher for the angry man who'd tried to get in earlier. Arya sipped her Chandrilan Duster, light on the alchohol, and waited.

Sanis Prent
Jul 29th, 2004, 12:30:49 AM
The kitchen was a living thing. Alive and pulsing with energy, the various cooks, waiters, and other help moved through its stainless durasteel and tile interior with a hectic pace.

I kept to the far wall, dodging a few people carrying in some crates of fresh seafood. Eventually, I made my way to one of the walk-in refridgerators, and opened the large door up.

Inside, there was row after row of various food containers. I scoured the labels, and came to a stop on one labeled The House Special. Cautiously, I peeled back the aluminum foil covering the tray.

Inside was a bed of rice pilaf.

And a pair of westar blasters.

Cleaning the rice off the stainless durasteel pistols with a napkin, I returned the pilaf to its original position, and tucked the pistols into the deep pockets of my chef's apron.

Arya Ravenwing
Jul 29th, 2004, 12:51:19 AM
The bathroom was opened, and the man went in, with some parting words for the belaugered server. The hum of the restaurant hid the words, and she kept her eyes away from the 'fresher.

Waiting. Sanis was up to something, and it would be amazing if he still came out of the 'fresher. She felt fairly certain that she'd recognize him if he did come out in disguise. Shifting a bit, she faced the mens room for a moment, and then returned to her perusal of the room.

Sanis Prent
Aug 5th, 2004, 02:00:19 PM
I made my way to the front of the kitchen, where a row of assembled entrees lay on steaming plates. It took a few seconds, but I eventually spotted the Naboo ringed eel in flat pasta dish -- which was my cue.

Table seven.

A few chefs passed by, turning their backs to the counter. I drew one of the pistols, and tucked it opposite the pasta, removing the garnish of parsley to make room. Covering it with a metal lid, I hefted the covered pan onto the upper counter of the service window.

"Table seven's up."

The 'waitress' would soon pick it up, and deliver more than just the catch of the day. Once all hell broke loose, so would I.

Arya Ravenwing
Aug 9th, 2004, 12:09:28 AM
Arya fiddled with the strap on her flowered dress, and took another small sip from her drink. C'mon Prent, make your move. Waiters came out from the kitchen area, emerging from what was designed to appear as a crease in the wall. The designer had disguised the hallway cleverly, so that the servers seemed to appear from no where.

The smuggler held her clutch in her lap, and set her drink down. Sanis you son of a bith, you had better -

"I couldn't help but notice you were sitting alone." The red faced man was making a move on her! Arya forced the frown from appearing on her face. "Your date ditch you, or...?" He smiled, but he smelled of expensive Corellian sparkle rum.

"Otee drenga, na namo Ryloth." She smiled a bit blankly and shook her head. "Noa speckan Baa-Sick." I'm visiting, tourist from Ryloth. Don't speak Basic. The Twi'leki words flowed off her tongue, and the businessman sat back, confused. Arya smiled again, apologetically, and got up from her stool.

The man didn't stop her as she left the bar area, heading towards the back of the restaurant, and the stairs that led to the balcony. The mens room was behind her, the kitchen ahead and to the left. The Five Brothers were enjoying their appetizers, or drinks, or whatever that was they were glaring at each other over, sitting to her right as she threaded her way through the tables.

The bodyguards saw her, dismissed her. Her dress hid nothing of her curves, and there was obviously no room for a weapon in her tiny purse. Holdout blaster. Damn you, Dan. Arya saw the bodyguards, and wondered if the second threat could be one of them. She continued to make her way through the tables towards the wide polished wood stairs.

The Ace of Clubs
Aug 31st, 2004, 09:57:16 AM
Em Arin swirled by the service hatch, exchanging an pile of now dirty plates for a silver platter. As she turned away from the entrance she exchanged smiles and glances with the other waiting staff. Unlike Em, the majority of them looked tired. It was difficult to smile after hours on your feet. They only wore their happy faces when a customer was in sight. Perhaps this was another clue that something wasn’t quite right about Miss Arin.

A slight sleight-of-hand gave her a peek what was hidden beneath the covering lid. She beamed at the sight of the little surprise that her co-conspirator had left therein. In a matter of moments, she was standing beside the entourage of bodyguards watching over the brothers Sullust.

“Naboo ringed eel?”

The quiet conversation continued among four of the brothers, while the fifth looked up and gave a curt nod. One broad shouldered man in dark glasses held out an arm as Em leant forward to dish out the meal, stopping her and explaining that it was necessary for him to test the food before it was eaten. Happy to oblige, the waitress smiled sweetly and, slipping one hand into the back of the dish, removed the lid – and the bodyguards left eye.

The shot hit home with a wet crunch, and the back of the guard’s skull spilled all over the pristine white cloth covering the brothers table. A shriek went up through the restaurant, as customers looked up in horror to see what was going on. The ‘waitress’ dropped to the floor and put another shot in the chest of the guard who had just lunged for her neck.

All of this seemed to happen within the blink of an eye.

Arya Ravenwing
Aug 31st, 2004, 10:18:04 PM
Frell! Ayra whirled toward the sound of the blaster, a westar from the sound of it, and quickly spotted the waitress on the floor just as she put a second shot through another bodyguard. People screamed from the neighboring tables, other patrons in the back of the restaurant stood up to see what was going on.

At least now I know who the second shooter is. That still left Sanis somewhere, probably with a sniper rifle. Arya thrust her hand into her clutch and pulled her holdout blaster out, but then hesitated. As the second bodyguard fell dead, the smuggler ducked behind a recently vacated chair. She had no shots at the assassin, and didn't feel like setting herself up as a target for the remaining bodyguards.

Sanis Prent
Sep 1st, 2004, 07:01:45 PM
The pandemonium of the first few shots allowed me to move even closer. Kitchen and wait staff ran everywhere, covering my movements out in the open. I got reasonably close to the table in question, and made a break for it, pressing the barrel of my own gun into the kidney of a bodyguard who's attention was on Clubs.

BZAT

He fell hard, and just like that, so did the element of suprise. I caught his dead weight, slowing it down as I used his body for momentary cover, ventilating another guard as I weighed my options.

The Ace of Clubs
Sep 19th, 2004, 12:22:34 PM
Keke caught a brief glimpse of her cohort as he dealt with more of the brothers’ cronies. With all of the mayhem breaking out around her, the girl couldn’t help but grin with glee. As the assassin struggled hand-to-hand with one of the stalwart bodyguards, another man tried to usher his clients away from their table as inconspicuously as possible. This was becoming increasingly difficult, however, thanks to the bedlam that the shootout had created.

It was while looking over to see where the Sullust brothers were going that the Ace of Clubs crashed into a table with a high-pitched yelp. The bodyguard she had believed she had knocked unconscious had landed a hit that had rocked her body right across the tabletop and onto the floor beyond it. Curled in pain, she grimaced while squinting beneath the table cloth, managing to squeeze off a shot and hit the man roundabout in his shin.

Arya Ravenwing
Sep 19th, 2004, 08:36:57 PM
Things were going to hell in a handbasket faster than Arya could decide what her course of action should be. Surviving bodyguards were hustling the Five Brothers towards the doors, and the female assassin was knocked across a table. Her attacker dropped to the floor to the tune of a blaster shot, and Arya made her decision.

She peeked over the table and chair that she was hiding behind, and squeezed off two shots from her holdout blaster. One sizzled by Sanis' head, and the other she shot from under the table, putting a hole in the floor by the female. At least, that was the idea. Arya ran to an overturned table in the opposite direction from where the Brothers were heading, and checked her powercell. She had probably another ten shots left.