PDA

View Full Version : Flatten and Reinstall, its the only way to be sure!

Morgan Evanar
Apr 22nd, 2004, 12:26:29 PM
Oh hey. Sup kids. I know its come up in a few other threads, but I'm always getting a bit hot under the collar or whatever stupid analogy you use for impatience these days.

Its pretty widely known that Fans history is what it is. Take that as meaning stupid, incoherent, and riddled with inconsistency. It makes'a me'a little angry, y'kno.

Before we even bother jumping into something like this, we need a coherent scenario that makes sense.

OOH OH I've GOT ONE! No one really wants to play Luke Skywalker, right? Whiny farmboy bitchass never made it off the Death Star.

Oh snap! What about the Jedi? Well, thats a very good question Kemosabi! The straight out answer is "I don't know!" The Death Star just blew up. The Executor is gone, taking with it a lot of imperial talent.

We're right after the movies, aren't we? Its keen, man. We don't have to deal with any of those EU fuckups!

----

You don't have to be as sarcastic as I am, and the proposal won't be, but this is a bit of venting/idea bouncing into the world.

Navaria Tarkin
Apr 22nd, 2004, 12:33:23 PM
:|

what the fuck are you talking about incoherant man :lol

Morgan Evanar
Apr 22nd, 2004, 12:45:57 PM
The board. Reset. Bzzzt.

No Luke, Death Star blew up and got him. The Imps are running around headless. The NR is mopping up and trying to form. Yeah baby, the scenario is grand.

Navaria Tarkin
Apr 22nd, 2004, 01:00:50 PM
Hmm.. that small differeance might change Navaria around tho =\

Morgan Evanar
Apr 22nd, 2004, 01:12:12 PM
You got here a few months before me, but Quessadillas?

AmazonBabe
Apr 22nd, 2004, 01:12:40 PM
I love you dearly Morg, but I don't think I much like that idea. =\

It just seems that it would kinda take away the beginnings of these boards... where we started with our love for the SW stories and such. I dunno... it just doesn't feel right to ignore the actual SW history and stuff.

Navaria Tarkin
Apr 22nd, 2004, 01:15:13 PM
The reason Dalethria even came into being was the fact that Luke lived and her Grandfather died in the death star explosion. That little change might have made Navaria become a different person because of that.

Figrin D'an
Apr 22nd, 2004, 01:24:38 PM
Originally posted by Morgan Evanar
The board. Reset. Bzzzt.

No Luke, Death Star blew up and got him. The Imps are running around headless. The NR is mopping up and trying to form. Yeah baby, the scenario is grand.

I'd rather not mess with the actual film timeline, or really mess with a lot of the EU stuff, because there are so many people who do use it for tie-in purposes. We'd never convince everyone to go along with it.

For me, I'd rather just increase the amount of time between our timeline and the film timeline. It's never been clear when exactly our overall story takes place. Some people say 15-20 years after ROTJ. The problem there is that it directly interferes with a lot of the EU. I've always been of the inclination that the timeline is more like 40-50 years post-ROTJ. This gets us out of the way of, essentially, everything that's been established in either the films or the EU, but still allows for valid references back to that period.

I know the history of our RP universe is messed up. We have unrealistic stories and writers to thank for that. But, really, we've done a pretty good job of righting the ship over the past couple of years and making a realm that actually makes sense. There are always going to be inconsistencies, because we'll always have people that don't think before they write, or who just don't know any better.

AmazonBabe
Apr 22nd, 2004, 01:29:22 PM
I've always been of the inclination that the timeline is more like 40-50 years post-ROTJ.

This is the way I've always invisioned it as well.

This gets us out of the way of, essentially, everything that's been established in either the films or the EU, but still allows for valid references back to that period.

Exactly.

Navaria Tarkin
Apr 22nd, 2004, 01:32:34 PM
and I always hated that it was that far ahead since I make no sense being here as Navaria :lol

ah well.. course i made Navaria before we decided on a timeline =\

Morgan Evanar
Apr 22nd, 2004, 01:36:56 PM
I know the history of our RP universe is messed up. We have unrealistic stories and writers to thank for that. But, really, we've done a pretty good job of righting the ship over the past couple of years and making a realm that actually makes sense. There are always going to be inconsistencies, because we'll always have people that don't think before they write, or who just don't know any better. There would be a lot less immediate idiocy though.

I'd rather rediscover stuff.

Navaria Tarkin
Apr 22nd, 2004, 01:38:57 PM
problem is .. lots of people gonna bitch about it :p if we just say.. here it is cope, that isn't going to go over well.

AmazonBabe
Apr 22nd, 2004, 01:46:28 PM
Originally posted by Navaria Tarkin
problem is .. lots of people gonna bitch about it :p if we just say.. here it is cope, that isn't going to go over well.

I know I'd bitch ^_^; ^_^;

Figrin D'an
Apr 22nd, 2004, 01:48:44 PM
That's just it. Those people who have characters with detailed pasts and have RPed stories to develop those characters will find themselves being forced to dump a good portion of their work.

Then, we're honestly back to square one, just having massive character-development holes instead of massive plot holes.

Morgan Evanar
Apr 22nd, 2004, 02:03:36 PM
I guess I'm the only person who would happily write all of my characters again.

Dasquian Belargic
Apr 22nd, 2004, 02:12:07 PM
Originally posted by Morgan Evanar
I guess I'm the only person who would happily write all of my characters again.

I wouldn't mind either.

Figrin D'an
Apr 22nd, 2004, 02:12:37 PM
There might be some who would be willing to do it, for the same reasons that you want to. It's just that, in any "flatten and reinstall" scenario, we're looking at making fundamental changes to the background story, and some of those changes are inevitably going to rip apart characters, leaving only a few valid shreads from which to rebuild.

That's ultimately why I don't think it would fly. Too many people would get pissed off that they would be required to reconstruct their character from the ground up to fit into the new guidelines. It's too much of a revolutionary type of change. People don't react well to that sort of thing, especially when it directly attacks something of their own creation that they care about.

There are times I would like to hit the reset button myself. But, I've accepted that the chances of it happening are pretty much zilch. Not without causing another mass exodus from the boards.

AmazonBabe
Apr 22nd, 2004, 02:39:58 PM
Ugh... no more exoduses :x

I did think about it a bit more, and I still come to the conclusion that I wouldn't want to reset everything. For one, I wouldn't know where the hell to begin with my characters again. I've been RPing them as they are for so long now, it's basically engrained within my very being. To start over would feel like I have to rip something from myself. It would definitely leave a hole.

I mean, I don't know how others feel about their characters and the character's development, but I'm very happy with the way mine have turned out. I don't feel the need for a reset. But that's me and because I like what my characters have become.

Ryla Relvinian
Apr 22nd, 2004, 04:51:02 PM
Yeah, ditto Rie.

Though, now that I think of it, Ryla can really exist at any timeline, as long as there is a Jedi temple, simply because (a) I am too lazy to develop her role in galaxy-wide poitics and (b) I simply don't care about AU.

Frankly, I don't think it would make any difference in the long run, because the people that make problems are not the people who actually have well-developed characters. They're the douchbags who come in and want to fist people with martial arts, and get fed up when we tell them that certain things aren't possible or try to go and bear the worlds most beautiful, musically gifted and force-sensitive quintuplets who will one day take over the galaxy.

I vote we have tighter restrictions on admissions, not a board reset.

Figrin D'an
Apr 22nd, 2004, 07:58:08 PM
Originally posted by Ryla Relvinian

I would vote for this in a heartbeat.

AmazonBabe
Apr 23rd, 2004, 08:38:11 PM
Originally posted by Ryla Relvinian

After what happened to TSO... you get a hearty YES from me on that one.

Estelle Russard
Apr 23rd, 2004, 09:57:48 PM
I also am of the opinion not to hit the 'reset' button.

Morg, you like all your ducks lined up in a row, where so many characters here are just gaggling around. I think, though, there are too many who have too much history with their chars the way things are to redo the whole thing.

While your idea is a neater, more orderly and sense-making plan, too much would have to get "tossed." That would suck.

As for Figs suggestion - do we really even have an admission process? I thought it was basically whoever kind of replies to the recruitment threads gives the nod or no. And its almost always a "nod" except for the moron invasion. ?

edit: I am thinking board-wide (sfw) not just the GJO with my opinion on the reset thing. It might not be quite as drastic a change up if its just the GJO.

(I hope Im making some kind of sense here..)

Morgan Evanar
Apr 23rd, 2004, 10:04:52 PM
While your idea is a neater, more orderly and sense-making plan, too much would have to get "tossed." That would suck. Yeah, maybe if you care about the current scenario. I don't care for it, but I can see that its pretty much Jen and I who don't care if we "loose" anything.

Lady Vader
Apr 26th, 2004, 04:11:51 PM
As for Figs suggestion - do we really even have an admission process?

I dunno if any here at GJO would be interested, but at TSO we're actually putting an application form of sorts together to limit the number of ppl that join there. It would give us the chance to see what their level of intelligence/writing skills are.

Dasquian Belargic
Apr 27th, 2004, 01:07:22 AM
Since I've been doing the recruitment thing, I haven't turned anyone away. They all answer the same questions, and they all give similar answers, and so I can't really pick and choose who to let in and who not to let in.