PDA

View Full Version : Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth

Dasquian Belargic
Apr 20th, 2004, 10:46:45 AM
"Bethesda Softworks today announced that it will publish Call of Cthulhu - Dark Corners of the EarthT, a first-person horror game for PC and the Xbox video game system from Microsoft. Developed by Headfirst Productions, Call of Cthulhu is a mix of horror, investigation, puzzle solving, exploration, and combat as you are faced with the seemingly impossible task of battling evil incarnate."

Proper preview at IGN, here (http://pc.ign.com/articles/505/505274p1.html
). Official website is at http://www.callofcthulhu.com/

I like the stories, so I'm looking forward to it.

As the player enters scary areas or confronts certain enemies, you'll hear your heartbeat increase. If things get particularly frightening, your vision will blur (kind of like the tear gas effect in Rainbow Six). You'll even see this blur effect to simulate vertigo when your character looks down from a great height.

A character who has a broken arm, for instance, can't do anything with stitches and antidotes. He'll have to find both a splint and some bandages before he can set the arm and halt his health loss. The concept of "getting better" seems kind of alien to this game; the best you can hope for is to stop your bleeding and make it through to the end of the level.

Just a couple of cool snipets from the IGN preview.

Zasz Grimm
Apr 22nd, 2004, 03:26:59 AM
that sounds awesome. definitely a must get for xbox for me

( Bethesda also made The Suffering, I believe. )

Dasquian Belargic
Apr 22nd, 2004, 12:52:19 PM
I wonder how they're going to render all the beasties that Lovecraft always said were 'undescribable'. They have pretty big creative license there.

Morgan Evanar
Apr 22nd, 2004, 02:15:57 PM
Bethesda is PUBLISHING.

I really wish people would learn to seperate publisher and developers. You don't praise Bantam books for a, say, Stephen King novel, do you?

Dasquian Belargic
Apr 23rd, 2004, 04:44:00 AM
Well whatever. So long as it rocks I'm happy :p

Pierce Tondry
Apr 24th, 2004, 12:39:42 AM
Originally posted by Morgan Evanar
Bethesda is PUBLISHING.

I really wish people would learn to seperate publisher and developers. You don't praise Bantam books for a, say, Stephen King novel, do you?

*pauses*

*secretly goes off to root through the local mailbox for all his "Thank you Bantam" letters.*