PDA

View Full Version : Concerning the Force Sprites classes.

Wei Wu Wei
Apr 19th, 2004, 04:21:31 PM
Ok, I need to know something about the Younglings' classes.

I've seen threads for the Combat, Alter, and Sense forums.

But do the kids have classes for the Control forum?

If you guys don't have a teacher for that class, I'd be happy to teach it. I've been following the Force Sprites threads and they seem to me to be a lot of fun, and I'd like to jump in if I can.

Thanks in advance for answering my question!

imported_Jacali Danner
Apr 19th, 2004, 07:33:15 PM
We don't have anyone for Control, Wei. Go ahead, it would be awesome!! The kids are really great!! Have fun!!

Wei Wu Wei
Apr 19th, 2004, 09:02:43 PM
Very well, I shall begin immediately. I'm here at work from 11pm to 2am, so it'll give me something to do. Wei has never had to teach more than two people at once, much less children.

EDIT- Here is the URL, in case any of the students happen to check this thread.

http://www.sw-fans.net/forum/showthread.php?threadid=35311

I suppose I ought to PM each of the students and give them the URL as well to make sure they know.

Rognan Dar
Apr 19th, 2004, 10:00:58 PM
Yes, I think that they could use a teacher like Wei. :) So go ahead and do whatever it is you think these kids need to do.

And as for PMing the kids, yeah, that might help them find it better.

Great to have you aboard!

Zeke
Apr 20th, 2004, 07:13:52 AM
Kwiet will come screaming in soon...I just need to catch a break here in class.

Shade Magus
Apr 20th, 2004, 12:12:36 PM
Hey Wei if you need any help Shade would be more than happy to help.

Zeke
Apr 21st, 2004, 11:45:59 AM
A question. In one of the council threads the Force Sprites are mentioned as if they're actually happening. I was under the impression that the classes were a test of a class system, and were supposed to be a future thing with no bearing on the rest of the RP world. So, is the training there legitimate for use elsewhere, or is it still an isolated set of "future" events that have no bearing on the present day?

Also, aren't people other than the students and teacher forbidden to post in those classes?

Shanaria Fabool
Apr 21st, 2004, 12:03:42 PM
Neyasha will not be there long, but it only makes sence that Valora would run to her Mother if she thought there was alot of trouble. I had no choice but to bring in Neyasah for a moment or I would not be playing Valora's character properly. She will be gone shortly.

Zeke
Apr 21st, 2004, 12:10:46 PM
I don't care. The thread is CLOSED. You'd need Rognan's permission to get Neyasha in there in the first place. It's called courtesy when you ask permission to post in a thread where you don't normally belong. You'd do well to use it more often.

Navaria Tarkin
Apr 21st, 2004, 12:22:21 PM
Shanaria - True it does make sense, but the thing is that thread is clearly stated closed. A quick little PM to Rogan that you wanted to post there is what needs to be done for any thread tagged as such.

Whether she is there long or not isnt the issue, or the fact she needs to be there. :)Just respectful to the person that called for the closed thread for a PM. Doesnt matter if it is here or the main forums here.. has to be done.

Leten Snat
Apr 21st, 2004, 12:28:06 PM
I'm sorry, I'm pritty good about asking most of the time, but I've had a busy day, and got caught up in it and forgot to ask this time. If people have such a big problem with it, then one of the admin can delete Neyasha's post and Valora's last post.

Again I'm sorry.

Navaria Tarkin
Apr 21st, 2004, 12:29:04 PM
I will wait and see what Rogan says since it is his thread :)

Figrin D'an
Apr 21st, 2004, 02:14:57 PM
Originally posted by Zeke
A question. In one of the council threads the Force Sprites are mentioned as if they're actually happening. I was under the impression that the classes were a test of a class system, and were supposed to be a future thing with no bearing on the rest of the RP world. So, is the training there legitimate for use elsewhere, or is it still an isolated set of "future" events that have no bearing on the present day?

Details on this will become clear by the end of the thread in which the Council is questioning Rognan. The short answer is Yes, the classes are legitimate now, and not merely a test.

Dae Jinn
Apr 21st, 2004, 03:24:05 PM
I think the Force Sprites need a speech theraphy class. </two cents>

Aside from that, I think those threads are pretty good. :)

Wei Wu Wei
Apr 21st, 2004, 04:50:58 PM
Originally posted by Dae Jinn
I think the Force Sprites need a speech theraphy class.

You too? Don't worry, we'll work on it. Wei has got a lot to teach all those kids. You wait and see.

imported_Natia Telcontar
Apr 21st, 2004, 06:03:57 PM
Might I point out, that those that are being taught are children. Not all of them will have adult speech patterns at this point in their life.

When a toddler is learning to speak, they say things like: Mama, Dada, Baba. So, it only makes sense that those that are young, don't speak as adults.

I don't think that they need speech therapy unless say they are still speaking like that when they are the physical age of 13.

Dae Jinn
Apr 21st, 2004, 07:39:16 PM
Are you saying most of the children being taught are ages 2-4 in those classes? That's what I consider a toddler. :\

Yes, younger children DONT speak like adults. But they don't speak like cartoon characters (w's instead of r's for example). They don't speak in broken english. They should be able to form some-what conherent sentences by the age of 5 or 6.

*had speech theraphy when she was younger* In kindergarten(Or grade one), because I had trouble with certain sounds because I was missing my front teeth. Real children DO NOT speak like some of the Jedi children. It's not realistic, and it makes the thread choppy and annoying to read. IMO.

Rognan Dar
Apr 21st, 2004, 09:44:31 PM
I agree with Dae on the speech thing. Some of my little brothers and sisters are able to speak and understand pretty good english. I have a 4 year old brother that, when he talks, you can understand 99% if what he is saying. I think the speech thing is a little over gone. Thats just my opinion.

But on to the big matter here....hmm....

Zeke has a good point on this. It was designed to be a future 'test' thread. One that would not count on anything except to see if the idea would work in the lest. And I must be truthful, I did not expect to have the kids try and kill eachother. I like the idea and how they are playing it out. But it was something that I would have said no to if someone asked to do it. New ideas have come from it too. If this is going to stick, as Firgin is hinting at, then I'm going to have to get a few teachers and we are going to grill those kids.

Anyone, enough with the blabbering. Um...I think it could be ok. I dont know why Valora would just suddenly run out when Rog is taking care of it. And if it is because of all that has happened, I was unable to really stop it soon enough because of them posting so much. But coming in shortly after she leaves, AND having weapons in your hands as you enter, THEN being so calm and such, I think, is not really nessesary. I would like to keep the thread not cluttered up to much with all this stuff that is not on the basis of the class and teaching. I dont really know though. It is closed and all, so I'm going to have to say no then.

Figrin D'an
Apr 21st, 2004, 11:16:32 PM
Perhaps I should clarify my early statement...

If you wish the current threads involving the "younglings" to be tests, that is fine. However, additional threads you wish to do can be considered legitimate, and if you wish the current threads to be legit rather than just tests, this is also the perogative of the instructors.

Basically, you have options on this, and we're leaving it up to you (ie. the class instructors) to decide how to handle it.

Rognan Dar
Apr 21st, 2004, 11:31:28 PM
Alright. That clears it up. I guess it would make things a lot easyer to say that the threads are real, or going to be. That way we dont have to do it all over again... But I think it should still be closed off, unless its something that the parents feel that the teachers should know about. But I suggest that, if they did, that it would be on the end of the days (since we are doing this in days...if we can even get past the first one).

Figrin D'an
Apr 21st, 2004, 11:39:48 PM
That's fine. Closed thread rules should always be followed, and if these are to be closed threads, specifically for the instructors and the younglings, then they will be treated as such. The class instructors are the leaders of the threads, therefore they set the rules for entry into those threads.

Zeke
Apr 22nd, 2004, 02:04:10 AM
Okay. Now to make sure I follow.

1: The threads are legitimate classes.

2: They are closed to all posters except the students and teachers.

Am I correct?

Leten Snat
Apr 22nd, 2004, 12:12:39 PM
Okay then could somebody please delete Neyasha's post Valora's last posts and any posts that refer to Neyasha being in that thread since I made that mistake.

Navaria Tarkin
Apr 22nd, 2004, 12:55:32 PM
Well, does Rognan want to run with what happened or delete them? It is up to him .. unless I missed that part where he said to delete it o_O

Shanaria Fabool
Apr 22nd, 2004, 01:43:16 PM
Originally posted by Rognan Dar
I dont know why Valora would just suddenly run out when Rog is taking care of it. And if it is because of all that has happened, I was unable to really stop it soon enough because of them posting so much. But coming in shortly after she leaves, AND having weapons in your hands as you enter, THEN being so calm and such, I think, is not really nessesary. I would like to keep the thread not cluttered up to much with all this stuff that is not on the basis of the class and teaching. I dont really know though. It is closed and all, so I'm going to have to say no then.

But I think it should still be closed off, unless its something that the parents feel that the teachers should know about. But I suggest that, if they did, that it would be on the end of the days (since we are doing this in days...if we can even get past the first one).

These are where he said no to Neyasha in there

Navaria Tarkin
Apr 22nd, 2004, 01:44:16 PM
ack :: squints ::

Navaria Tarkin
Apr 22nd, 2004, 01:45:43 PM
crappers... another person posted dealing with Ney... so gonna clean up the thread regardless

Valora Ashen
Apr 22nd, 2004, 03:03:40 PM
Are you saying most of the children being taught are ages 2-4 in those classes? That's what I consider a toddler. :\

Yes, younger children DONT speak like adults. But they don't speak like cartoon characters (w's instead of r's for example). They don't speak in broken english. They should be able to form some-what conherent sentences by the age of 5 or 6.

I don't know the ages of the other but Valora is between 3.5 and 4 years old. I am slowly having her get better with her speach.

Rognan Dar
Apr 22nd, 2004, 09:00:50 PM
The speech thing is not a big deal, except for some that cant stand it. Its just the way you play out your character. If you want them to have a slur, make weird sounds for some words, or whatever, thats your choice. I dont expect children to speek like adults, and frankly, I would rather they didn't. Thats just me, I dont mind it at all. But the facts are the same.

Rognan Dar
May 4th, 2004, 09:49:13 PM
Ok, I have a question for Firgin or anyone other council member and or mod. With the sprites classes being 'real' now, what does that do to the other members that are helping to teach? Wouldn't it be against the Jedi code to have them teach since they are not of knight ranking yet? I have no problem with them teaching, but I have been thinking about what it would mean for them.

imported_Natia Telcontar
May 5th, 2004, 08:35:51 AM

I just might to point out that speaking w's instead of r's is a very common mistake that kids make when they are young. I know I for one still have problems with them and other letter's. And I'm in my early twenties.

And I do believe that all the sentences that are spoken are coherent despite being a bit fragmented.

imported_Jacali Danner
May 5th, 2004, 11:55:52 AM
I too, was a 'w' speaking 'r' person until I was in like 3rd grade, but that was way back when...

My birds were boards. But, it could be far worse than what we've done, I knew this kid who spoke baby talk for a long time. And it drove me up a wall, because his parent thought (esp, his mother) it was cute. So, he kept it up.

He'd say stuff like:

What her want?

All his she's were replaced with 'hers' It drove me insane, thank god we don't have anyone here that speaks that way...but, really the 'r' thing isn't that bad, and they are cleaning it up a bit, I've cleaned up Hunter.

Dae Jinn
May 5th, 2004, 11:59:36 AM
The speech thing is not a big deal, except for some that cant stand it. Its just the way you play out your character. If you want them to have a slur, make weird sounds for some words, or whatever, thats your choice.

It just makes reading the sprite threads semi-annoying for people who enjoy sentence structure and decent grammar.

And I have never heard children speak like the few children do in the kiddie classes. I can see when children are first learning to speak having problems with most r's, th's, etc. Valora posted she is between 3-4 years old -- I can see a younger child having some problems with speech. I don't think every child continues to have problems with it once they are older -- everyone has the occassional mispronounciation, but it's a bit ridiculous when nearly every word is mispronounced, or when someone who was raised speaking english speaks in broken english.

Just my opinion, though, and you're entitled to disagree.

Figrin D'an
May 6th, 2004, 10:42:28 PM
Ok, I have a question for Firgin or anyone other council member and or mod. With the sprites classes being 'real' now, what does that do to the other members that are helping to teach? Wouldn't it be against the Jedi code to have them teach since they are not of knight ranking yet? I have no problem with them teaching, but I have been thinking about what it would mean for them.

Since there is at least once Knight involved now, it's really not a big issue. Think of it like this... you, being the Knight in charge of the project, are like the professor, and the others involved are like your teaching assistants. You all contribute to the curriculum, but you're kind of in charge, and are the one that reports progress to the Council and keeps them advised of any needs, changes, etc.

Just so we all know, it would be good if you could make a brief list of all the "instructors" for the youngling classes, just as a way to keep track of who is involved.

Rognan Dar
May 6th, 2004, 11:04:38 PM
Alright, thats does make sense. Though, I think a better way of looking at it is that I'm more like the principal and they are the teachers. I wouldn't consider Rog, or myself, anything close to professor. I get the idea anyway.

As for said list here it is:

Kack Mebuff - Padawan
Jacali Danner - Padawan
Wei Wu Wei - Knight
Rognan Dar - Knight

Thats all there is for now. Might get some others in on new ideas that come up. So then am I correct in asuming that I can get more, none Knighted people, to work with/under my?

Figrin D'an
May 6th, 2004, 11:16:28 PM
So then am I correct in asuming that I can get more, none Knighted people, to work with/under my?

Yes, so long as they are experienced enough as padawans. Basically, try to get padawans that have been around for a while, not ones that are fairly new.

Rognan Dar
May 7th, 2004, 06:02:32 PM
Yes, I understand. Just wanted to know if I could. Not sure if I will or not, though. Thanks for the info.