PDA

View Full Version : College Basketball mess

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 16th, 2004, 12:41:19 PM
Now we don't need this crap in college basketball going on

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=1783719

The NIT should get over it, they are meaningless and have been so in 30 years why don't they just stop playing that would solve their finiacial problems. I hope they lose the lawsuit, I think it would be bad for Basketball in the long term.

JMK
Apr 16th, 2004, 01:01:59 PM
:lol
Well you can't blame them for trying. I remember hearing who won the NIT a couple weeks ago and thinking 'So what? Who cares? So you're the 65th best team in the nation. Big freaking deal.'

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 16th, 2004, 01:22:20 PM
Heh yeah thats true. There was a time that the NIT winner was the National champion but that was like over 40 years ago. The NCAA slowly took center stage I think starting in the 50's

CMJ
Apr 16th, 2004, 02:40:21 PM
The NIT was the original tournament. Then once the NCAA formed they competed against each other(on fairly equal footing) until the late 50's or so. Even then the NIT was a big deal until the 70's because the selection pool for the NCAA was so small AND pretty exclusive. Alot of major conferences would onl;y get 1 invite well into the 70's - so the NIT could still claim to have a National Champion(afterall look at some recent National Champs that didn't win their league...Syracuse the most recent example).

I still think of the NIT as a big deal. The reason is obvious. Parity. Not much seperates seeds from about 6-13. The schools in the NIT could arguably play with any of those schools. Just depends on the match up...as always. Take Michigan for instance. I think they could've easily won a game in the tourney given the right match up. And they WON the NIT.