PDA

View Full Version : Kill Bill

Madmartigan
Apr 13th, 2004, 02:49:33 PM
Shoot me if there is a duplicate thread somewhere, I went through the first 6 pages and saw nothing.

I just picked up my dvd at Bestbuy and am so phyched about volume 2 on Friday. This movie rocked!

Figrin D'an
Apr 13th, 2004, 03:19:53 PM
I'm going to try to see Volume 2 this weekend. Volume 1 was hella fun.

The deal Best Buy had going for Kill Bill Volume 1 and Reservoir Dogs Special Edition was nice. Since I didn't have RD, I was pleasently surprised to be able to get both for so little.

Madmartigan
Apr 13th, 2004, 03:51:07 PM
WOW I must have just missed that, what were they charging for the two pack I might not have minded having RD.

THis Kill Bill DVD is scaled down anyways, I heard that when he two packs the volumes later on after the release of volume 2 on dvd that it won't be bare bones like this one is and have deleted scenes and more extras.

But I couldn't wait for the better dvd version because the movie must be seen again before volume 2 is seen.

JMK
Apr 13th, 2004, 04:00:01 PM
So there's Kill Bill 2 and The Punisher this weekend?

Great.

Lilaena De'Ville
Apr 13th, 2004, 08:55:49 PM
Wait, Kill Bill and the Punisher both this weekend!?

*moths fly out of wallet*

:(

JediBoricua
Apr 13th, 2004, 09:42:18 PM
My g/f surprised me today with the DVD!

I love that woman!

Pierce Tondry
Apr 13th, 2004, 10:31:52 PM
I haven't seen vol. 1 yet. I'm purposefully waiting until Friday or Saturday, when I can marathon view the entire set. :)

Charley
Apr 14th, 2004, 01:40:07 AM
Purchased and viewed volume one tonight. :)

Ishan Shade
Apr 14th, 2004, 06:30:26 AM
Kill Bill and RD for $20 is a awesome deal, I already had RD or I would have jumped all over it.

I can't wait to see Vol 2 this weekend :)

Madmartigan
Apr 14th, 2004, 12:12:51 PM
Well i wish i had seen that deal of RD and Kill Bill since i payed $14.88 for my dvd and it would have made RD only $5.12.

Lilaena De'Ville
Apr 14th, 2004, 12:27:53 PM
Re-watched Vol. 1 tonight. I love this movie. :D

Sean Piett
Apr 14th, 2004, 11:25:23 PM
Jawesome movie. Going to Kill Bill party this friday :cool

..Pretty much we'll watch Kill Bill.

ReaperFett
Apr 15th, 2004, 09:11:48 AM
I wish KB2 had still been February though. It's less fresh in my mind now.

Madmartigan
Apr 15th, 2004, 02:43:36 PM
Not for me I have watched the dvd 3 times since I bought it.

Ishan Shade
Apr 15th, 2004, 10:01:50 PM
Originally posted by Madmartigan
Not for me I have watched the dvd 3 times since I bought it.

Yep, same for me. I'm trying to get ready for Vol 2 tomorrow, Tarentino is amazing....I'm sure it will be a wild ride.

Dasquian Belargic
Apr 16th, 2004, 03:50:16 AM
It's not out on DVD until monday :x hurry up!

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 16th, 2004, 10:13:04 AM
I watched it last night, I was surprised It was a a better film than what I expected it is a fun movie, I actually like it a lot better than Pulp Fiction.

Ishan Shade
Apr 16th, 2004, 11:40:35 PM
I wouldn't go that far....I'm going to have to see it again soon, but overall I liked it, it did a great job of bringing the whole story together.

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 17th, 2004, 12:17:24 AM
Well my problem with Pulp Fiction is the story jumps around too much for me Chronologically, I just don't like that, but that is me. That didn't happen in this film except for the beginning and I tolerated that and it worked for me. But of course this is just my opinion.

Tessek
Apr 17th, 2004, 12:25:32 AM
Okay, guess I'll be the first in this thread...
I hated that movie, I mean all the movie is is monologues, a couple shots of her talking to people about they hurt her or how shes going to kill them, playing the dumb blonde for a scene or two, and then the rest is filled out with people dying.
HOW IS THIS A GOOD MOVIE?
(And yes, I realize Im going to get yelled at for this, I don't care)

Figrin D'an
Apr 17th, 2004, 12:50:48 AM
Originally posted by Tessek
Okay, guess I'll be the first in this thread...
I hated that movie, I mean all the movie is is monologues, a couple shots of her talking to people about they hurt her or how shes going to kill them, playing the dumb blonde for a scene or two, and then the rest is filled out with people dying.
HOW IS THIS A GOOD MOVIE?
(And yes, I realize Im going to get yelled at for this, I don't care)

Because it's spaghetti western meets Japanese revenge meets Hong Kong action, with homages to things like '70's blaxplotation and traditional kung-fu flicks, all with the certain stylistic flare that Tarantino puts into his films.

It's not for everyone. If you don't at least somewhat like Tarantino's other films, you won't like this one. If you don't like the different source materials from which he drew inspiration, you won't like it either. It's just about personal taste. I think that Vol. 1, for all it's action, was really funny. There's so many little points of dark humor that stole the show, IMO. Not to mention that soundtrack kicks major booty.

I expect Vol. 2 to be a bit different from Vol. 1, in that I expect more traditional Tarantino dialogue to at least match the action in intensity (especially between The Bride and Bill). But, we shall see. I'm going to try to see it Saturday afternoon.

Lilaena De'Ville
Apr 17th, 2004, 01:48:35 AM
The movie was -

Great. :D

And by 'the movie' I mean Vol. 2.

Madmartigan
Apr 17th, 2004, 02:18:37 AM
I loved volume 2, it was more drama and less action and it tied both volumes together wonderfully.

James Prent
Apr 17th, 2004, 09:03:22 AM
The part where Beatrix squished Elle's eye between her toes was so gross! And yet, totally a fitting end for her.

Ishan Shade
Apr 17th, 2004, 06:33:56 PM
I loved that part. :)

Madmartigan
Apr 17th, 2004, 08:29:24 PM
did you sit through the credits, they show an outtake from volume 1 where she rips out one of the crazy 88's eyeballs, also when they went over the cast and credit they put a blade through each of the characters she killed and on Elle's name they put a question mark over her name

Crystal
Apr 18th, 2004, 07:10:07 AM
Saw it last night. I liked it alot. And now I know why Bill kept calling her Kiddo all the time.

Nathanial K'cansce
Apr 18th, 2004, 05:14:54 PM
Twas a good film, both of them. :)

Sanis Prent
Apr 18th, 2004, 09:21:01 PM
Part two has met my expectations.

I was a little upset that Elle doesn't die, because in the version of the script I read, she did die by Kiddo's hand.

There were other parts I wished they could have included, such as the fight between Kiddo and Gogo's sister and Bill's personal elimination of one of his targets. However, they did blissfully shorten the scenes between Kiddo and Bill, which I thought would take forever anyways.

In the end, its very well done, and I think it ties everything in as well as I imagined.

All told, I like Kill Bill better than Reservoir Dogs, and almost on Pulp Fiction's level. An absolute orgy of unrepentant action, style, and revenge. Best movie I've seen in a year or two.

Ishan Shade
Apr 19th, 2004, 10:51:43 PM
Originally posted by Sanis Prent
All told, I like Kill Bill better than Reservoir Dogs, and almost on Pulp Fiction's level. An absolute orgy of unrepentant action, style, and revenge. Best movie I've seen in a year or two.

After seeing it for a second time I totally agree. Tarantino just simply amazes me with his script writing and directing abilities. I have been seriously been thinking about attending film school, and one of my biggest influences is him. I cannot wait for his next project, whatever it may be.

Nathanial K'cansce
Apr 19th, 2004, 11:13:03 PM
Isn't he doing Hero?

Sun Zao
Apr 19th, 2004, 11:45:09 PM
from what I've heard, yes.

EDIT: He's not "making" it, but he's "presenting" it, so its more like pushing it to US markets with his influence.

Ishan Shade
Apr 20th, 2004, 08:44:35 AM
Yeah he didn't have a hand in making it at all, but he is pushing Miramax to release it.

Darth Viscera
Apr 20th, 2004, 10:12:17 AM
:huh mommy, why did the president of the federation from star trek VI act like an evil yoda and steal that woman's eyeball?

Charley
Apr 20th, 2004, 11:20:17 AM
Spoiler tags, you blunderbuss.

ReaperFett
Apr 20th, 2004, 01:19:43 PM
The next thing he is doing is a segment of the adaptation of Frank Miller's Sin City series.

Lilaena De'Ville
Apr 20th, 2004, 02:10:10 PM
Apparently Quentin Tarentino is directing tonight's episode of "Jimmy Kimmel Live." I might have to stay up late and watch it. :D

Mu Satach
Apr 20th, 2004, 03:59:55 PM
I've seen Hero already via an imported DVD from China and it kicks booty badly. I can't wait to see it on a big screen. I highly recomend it to anyone who likes movies like Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.

Madmartigan
Apr 20th, 2004, 06:30:42 PM
The funny thing is they did a trailer for Hero before Kill Bill and I was thinking the entire time isn't this exactly like the movie we are going to see.

A tale of vengeance after a trgedy befalls ones family leads one on a quest to seek justice for the crime committed against them. Facing innumerable odds the hero blessed with great warrior skills will not stop tell they have succeeded.

Oddly familar, no.

Ishan Shade
Apr 20th, 2004, 09:56:10 PM
Originally posted by Charley
Spoiler tags, you blunderbuss.

:lol

upon reading that post I almost burst into laughter...something about the word "blunderbuss" i guess....

Mu Satach
Apr 20th, 2004, 10:37:12 PM
Originally posted by Madmartigan
The funny thing is they did a trailer for Hero before Kill Bill and I was thinking the entire time isn't this exactly like the movie we are going to see.
< snip >
Oddly familar, no.

No.
It is a tale of vengence, but a better plot summery would be "the story of how one man defeated three assassins who sought to murder the most powerful warlord in pre-unified China."

I kind of found the trailer somewhat misleading... though after thinking about it, I can't come up with a better way to try and sell it to a mass audience. In fact when I've forced a few friends to watch it, I don't tell them why or anything about it except "This is one of the most freaking awesome films I've seen in a long time. Now shut up and watch this!" :)

It has a lot more in common with Kurosawa's Rashomon (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0042876/) then Kill Bill... and has loads of mega visual eye candy and color, lots of color which is a trademark of the director Yimou Zhang.

Sun Zao
Apr 21st, 2004, 12:26:10 AM
Hero is less like Kill Bill. Instead, Kill Bill is more like Hero, and the genre it represents.

I guess thats why I like Kill Bill. Its as smarmy as a Broadway play, and it knows it. The movie is implausible, unrealistic, and disconcerted. However, it manages to carry itself on style and thematic elements, which is a pretty powerful tour de force in a film, if it can manage to establish itself in such a way. From that point on, you're learning "B movie action revenge 101", and its extremely fun.

Ishan Shade
Apr 21st, 2004, 10:32:11 PM
Where did you find that image of Pai Mei? I've been looking for a good site with Kill Bill pics.

Sun Zao
Apr 21st, 2004, 11:36:09 PM
Screengrab from the Kill Bill volume 1 DVD :)

Madmartigan
Apr 21st, 2004, 11:50:10 PM
but hes not in volume 1, hes in the trailer but not in the movie

Sun Zao
Apr 21st, 2004, 11:55:54 PM
You don't say!

ReaperFett
Apr 22nd, 2004, 11:52:35 AM
How can a guy play a Texan Sheriff and a Mexican Pimp in one movie? What made QT decide he was ebst for BOTH? :D

Very good. THe Superman speech was great, explained what he was saying perfectly

Mu Satach
Apr 22nd, 2004, 07:51:17 PM
who cares? he was great as both... plus Gordon Liu as both Pai Mei and the General of the Crazy 88's was fun too

Sun Zao
Apr 22nd, 2004, 09:08:44 PM
Interestingly enough, Sonny Chiba's character from Volume 1, Hattori Hanzo, is a character that has been in something around 7 other Japanese television series. Hanzo isn't necessarily the same character, but the name (and Chiba) go into several series dating back to the 70's and 80's.

Also, Pai Mei's character is something of a recurring plot element in a lot of kung fu movies. Not sure if its full out mythology or not, but the priest of the white lotus has a lot of screentime in other things.

Ishan Shade
Apr 23rd, 2004, 09:30:51 AM
The whole movie is basically a homage of Quentin's love for old kung-fu movies and spaghetti westerns.

ReaperFett
Apr 23rd, 2004, 09:57:19 AM
Reguarding QT's next work:

"I've got to like turn off now, from the whole kung-fu, spaghetti western homage I've been doing with Kill Bill and get back the one basic underlying story, alright. Kill Bill is something I think a lot of people will enjoy, alright, but not in the same way as say Pulp Fiction. Kill Bill has a story, but it's told different than my other films. But the equation that I would use is if you're a cook, alright, you can cook a meal for yourself or you can cook a meal for your family who you cook for everyday and they're waiting for it. If everyone's in the kitchen with their silverware, banging away, anxiously awaiting what you've cooked up, then it makes you want to do more and more, in turn, getting more creative along the way. Kill Bill has made me want to challenge myself. I'm going to do a war movie, I'm going to do an straight-up action movie and I'm going to do my first sequel.

It's a sequel to both Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs, actually, it's a sequel and it's a prequel. It's the Vega Brothers, played by Michael Madsen and John Travolta. I have been trying to do it for years, and the more time I take, the older these two guys get. But I've come up with an idea that won't much matter how much they age....the magic of movies. It's going to be great. It'll be funny, and these guys are so great, alright, they're going to be like two oversized mob-men fighting over the last bowl of pasta, that we can't go wrong. It's just going to be John and Michael, and I hope to make this my next movie. We're laying down the pipework for it now."

So it's Sin City, Inglorious Bastards, action movie (BE THE WOO ONE!), Vega Brothers? Sweeeeet :D

Ishan Shade
Apr 24th, 2004, 12:22:53 AM
Nice post of the article Fett, great read........I'm excited. :D

Dasquian Belargic
Apr 24th, 2004, 03:17:46 AM
I finally get to see Vol 2 today. I can't waaaait. :crack

Madmartigan
Apr 24th, 2004, 12:25:22 PM
I saw Kill Bill 2 for a second time yesterday, deffinitly holds up for multiple viewings

Dasquian Belargic
Apr 24th, 2004, 02:49:55 PM
WAHEY how much did I love that film! It was so funny, in parts :)

Vampyre Dalamar
Apr 24th, 2004, 11:04:32 PM
It rocked, and how she dealt with Darylh hannah Classic. I tell you that was great... I actualy said YES!! I must say that was a more perfect revenge than killing her...

Sun Zao
Apr 25th, 2004, 09:54:27 AM
What I find interesting is that the only person that you can't really identify with is the only person who doesn't die. Vernita seems to be trying to live down her past as a mother and homemaker, O-Ren had a majorly terrible childhood, and Budd & Bill are both direct deviations from the "villain" equation. Only Elle Driver fits the mix, and she's the only one of the lot that doesn't get killed.

Dasquian Belargic
Apr 25th, 2004, 10:23:22 AM
Every time I see that avatar, Charley, I crack up. The whole cinema was laughing every time he came on screen.

Madmartigan
Apr 25th, 2004, 12:48:41 PM
Yea but i think Ell's punishment was way more fiiting than killing her. The two I sypathized with were Bill and Vernita. Budd, Elle and O Ren deserved to die in my opinion. Vernita was trying to make herself a good life, and Bill while heartless is still BBs father. O Ren may hav ehad a bad childhood but she was still a heartless wench that deserved to die.

Dan the Man
Apr 25th, 2004, 12:50:39 PM
I sympathized with Budd far more than Vernita

Ishan Shade
Apr 25th, 2004, 10:20:58 PM
Originally posted by Dan the Man
I sympathized with Budd far more than Vernita

Agreed.

Marcus Telcontar
May 2nd, 2004, 04:08:18 AM
Very enjoyable - best part of the film was spotting the subtle and not so subtle nods to other films and genres.

Droo
May 2nd, 2004, 07:19:57 AM
I may just be going to see this film for the third viewing tonight. The scenes between Bill and The Bride are just gold. Having said that, EVERY scence with Bill in is golden - I worship David Carradine now thanks to this film. :)

The Stranger
May 2nd, 2004, 07:21:15 AM
His voice is what gets me. It's got something about it that just makes it so awesome.

Droo
May 2nd, 2004, 07:24:36 AM
Yeah, he has one of those unforgettable voices; it's so gravelly and deep.

Sanis Prent
May 2nd, 2004, 08:59:58 AM
With lines like "I've never been nice my whole life, but I promise I'll try to be sweet." and "I'm a murdering bastard, and you know this. And there are consequences to breaking the heart of a murdering bastard.", it may be impossible not to love Bill's character for what it is.

Budd gets 2nd prize with this jewel: "I don't dodge guilt, and I don't Jew out of my comeuppances. That woman deserves her revenge, and we deserve to die. But then again, so does she. So I guess we'll just see, won't we?"

ReaperFett
May 6th, 2004, 01:34:38 PM
I think Carradine might get an oscar nomination. Best movie/director/actress I doubt, the film was too over the top. But Bill seemed like the type of role that could get recognition.