PDA

View Full Version : This is a thread about game music.

Morgan Evanar
Apr 9th, 2004, 11:58:00 PM
I, like the geekier of us, have a good deal of game music on my hard drive. Some of it is just totally fantastic.

The SNES, or Super Fancom games had some of the best music written, and it usually looped well. Squaresoft was in their prime, and the music for those games was stellar. Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana and Final Fantasy VI (3 US) all had incredible music.

Nintendo put out some stellar ambient and not so ambient tracks for Super Metriod. I can sit here and listen to Super Metriod's music.

System Shock 1 and 2 are known for their incredible audio, and it carries into the music. Its tense, creepy techno for SS2, and tense, energetic MIDI for SS1.

Theif's music, while limited to cutscenes and special events, absolutley suits the game. Dark, grungy guitar, with dissonate bells fading in and out. Mechanical, precise, dark. Even chaotic in spots. They better NOT USE THE CRAP THEY USED IN THE TRAILER FOR THEIF 3.

Activision made godlike tracks for Mechwarrior 2 and Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries. Tribal beats for Mech2, which was the feud between Clan Wolf and Clan Jade Falcon. Mercenaries was straight out rock, and it did.

Lady Vader
Apr 10th, 2004, 01:37:59 AM
I liked the music used for Descent II and WarCraft II & III (yes, I have them on my comp and burned on CD for my listening pleasure)..

I have System Shock 2, but I haven't played it enough to notice the music. I'll pop it in sometime soon and check it out.

Dasquian Belargic
Apr 10th, 2004, 02:21:30 AM
I love the Final Fantasy music. Mostly 7 and 8, since they are my two favorites, but some of it is just... :love

Garrett Blade
Apr 10th, 2004, 03:40:42 AM
I love FF7's music. I can even play Cosmo Canyon on my guitar :p

One of my absolute favourite video game music collection will always be Sonic The Hedgehog. My current fave from those is Carnival Night Zone from Sonic 3.

But my alltime fave is definitely Metal Gear Solid: TEA. That orchestral score is just brilliant, adding a lot to the cinematic experience of the game.

And I agree with Morg on SS2 - the techno stuff in that is great.

http://www.timmymagic.com/sshock2/modules.php?name=BeatBox

You'll have to register to access that particular page. But its quite cool. If your timing is right you can mix the tracks seamlessly into the next one.

Figrin D'an
Apr 10th, 2004, 03:31:33 PM
I have a lot of classic game music myself, much of it from the glory days of the SNES, like Morg mentioned.

So many modern games have such crappy, derivative music. Video games aren't just about graphics. It's about creating an atmosphere that draws the player into the game. Just as with a film, music is part of that with a video game, along with a good story, interesting characters and solid gameplay. This is why I can still pop games into my old SNES and play them for hours. Super Metroid, Final Fantasy VI (3), Secret of Mana, Street Fighter II, Chronotrigger... I still have them, and I still love playing them.

Dasquian Belargic
Apr 10th, 2004, 03:45:19 PM
Street Fighter, ahh. I have lots of SF music. I love Guile's themetune :)

Ati Quai
Apr 10th, 2004, 04:58:07 PM
For me, the music as much as the actual games themselves, the Castlevania series came out with some pretty good music that admittedly, I will listen to on its own. (only got about 60 different CV songs on the computer). Back when Audiogalaxy didn't suck for downloads, I was able to find Castlevania's theme and the Legend of Zelda both performed by the Boston Pops. For some reason, it amused me to think that gaming songs would be performed by them.

Sanis Prent
Apr 12th, 2004, 11:13:10 AM
Max Payne > *

Garrett Blade
Apr 12th, 2004, 02:25:59 PM
I love the end credits' music in Max Payne 2 - its 'Late Goodbye' by Poets Of The Fall.

Dasquian Belargic
Apr 12th, 2004, 03:10:00 PM
Poets of the Fall did do an awesome soundtrack, I agree there.

March Kalas
Apr 15th, 2004, 04:04:45 PM
I liked the music in Legends of Zelda the Windwaker (great game too). I don't really care for it by itself, but it is perfect with the game. I also like the music in Freelancer, Pirates of the Caribbean, and Total Annihilation.

Garrett Blade
Apr 15th, 2004, 05:41:56 PM
TA has very fitting epic music. :)

Charley
Apr 16th, 2004, 08:33:32 AM
TA's music is great, but the king of RTS music is the Command & Conquer series. They always have awesome music.

As for SS2's music, I always disabled music when playing. It made it creepier IMO.