PDA

View Full Version : 2004 MLB Season

JMK
Apr 8th, 2004, 12:57:54 PM
A little late but this is one thread that's gotta happen.

So what are your early impressions of your teams so far? What of other teams?

darth_mcbain
Apr 8th, 2004, 01:26:19 PM
I haven't really been following too much, but I doubt the Rockies will be doing any good this year... Hopefully the Mets will be doing alright, though.

Just so long as the Yanks don't do all that well, I'm good... :)

CMJ
Apr 8th, 2004, 03:28:50 PM
First impression...

Break up the Tigers!!

Who saw this coming?

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 8th, 2004, 09:27:41 PM
I know it took them a month to win 5 games, still it is a long season, it is to early to judge anybody yet.

jjwr
Apr 9th, 2004, 06:15:47 AM
4-0 though! Great start for them, at least give their fans something to cheer about for a little while.

Yankee's look vulnerable.....mmm...overpriced.

JediBoricua
Apr 9th, 2004, 11:33:29 AM
Vulnerable...nah...what about the Sox? It'll take a little time for both teams to get their acts together and have all the forces running smoothly.

Anyway I'm rooting for a Tigers/Brewers WS!

PS Today I'm going to the first Expos/Mets game in San JUan.

Madmartigan
Apr 12th, 2004, 01:39:22 PM
I just have a hard time getting interested in baseball tell July or August. With a 162 game season you could concievaly start 0-40 and still make the playoffs. The baseball season just doesn't have a sense of urgency to me, since it is so long.

imported_J'ktal Anajii
Apr 12th, 2004, 01:45:42 PM
I'm just glad that the Mariners have finally won a game after so abismal a start to their season. I highly doubt they'll do as well as they did last year, though.

jjwr
Apr 12th, 2004, 02:07:15 PM
Agreed Madmartigan, if they could fast foward the season to August then I'd have a lot more interest.

Most of my current interest stems from picking on a co-worker who is a very vocal Yankee's fan, so things have been good so far :)

CMJ
Apr 14th, 2004, 10:28:03 AM
Congrats to Bonds on 661.

jjwr
Apr 14th, 2004, 11:15:36 AM
I do understand the milestone and it is impressive but any recent home run numbers are a joke IMO. So many people are making a run at 500 with many more on the way that the milestone and the records will become obsolete. Way too many small ballparks, watered down pitching, etc.

Odds are Sosa will be there in a few years as well, after him....who knows, A-Rod with a few more good years will be knocking on the door too.

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 14th, 2004, 12:24:31 PM
I agree What Ruth, Aaron and Mays did to me are so much more impressive than what Bonds has done. He doesn't come close to a player as those three were.

JMK
Apr 14th, 2004, 12:31:59 PM
I think Aaron is the best there was, but I think you've got to include Bonds in the same conversation as Ruth, Aaron and Mays. He's accomplished too much to say that he doesn't belong in that company.

CMJ
Apr 14th, 2004, 12:33:19 PM
I'm not a big fan of Bonds - but he is seriously one of the greatest players ever. I'm not talking about just HR either. He's won batting championships, Gold Gloves, MVP's....

He's the only 500HR/500 steals man. No one else even got to 400/400. He'll probably get the all-time walk title in the next season or two. He's much more than just a homerun hitter.

**Ruth will be hard to ever top IMHO. Because he was also Hall of Fame quality as a PITCHER. I mean the guy had more shut outs than Pedro Martinez!

jjwr
Apr 14th, 2004, 12:54:04 PM
I'm not bashing Bonds, I'll admit I don't like the guy but he's been such a good player for so long in so many things, what 6 MVP's now?

He'll go down as one of the all time best no doubt about it.

I personally wish he hadn't beaten McGuire's home run record, considering thats his only 50+ HR season and he gets 73.

JMK
Apr 14th, 2004, 05:59:16 PM
6 MVP's and he should have won more like 8.

His being a jerk is going to cost him. It will be another 60 years before Bonds gets the recognition that Ruth and Aaron gets.

He truly has done it all, except win 20 games as a pitcher. And he shows no sign of slowing down.

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 14th, 2004, 09:21:27 PM
Still if he did use steroids then I say his records are tarnished. I say Mays was the best player ever, he was amazing in the field. Best hitter, Ted Williams easily.

Salvestro
Apr 14th, 2004, 09:22:55 PM
The Marlins are looking strong so far....their pitching, escpecially the relievers (which at the beginning of the season looked like their biggest weakness) are playing good.

jjwr
Apr 15th, 2004, 06:16:27 AM
Marlins are looking very strong, so are the Tigers! :)

I would say the chances are better than average that Bonds did use them, maybe not to the extent that some did who later broke down(Caminiti) but enough to help him bulk up to his current size. Compare side by side pictures to him how he used to look and he's twice the size.

JMK
Apr 15th, 2004, 06:48:06 AM
Yeah the Marlins look good. But the Expos are stinking up the joint. They can't hit a beach ball right now, so I think that's having a role in making the Marlines look so good. But nevermind any of that, Dontrelle Willis is 6/6 at the plate this year with 1 or 2 HR's!

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 15th, 2004, 08:14:37 AM
Bonds used Andro for sure. I am not sure if we will ever know how much he used or how much it contributed to his numbers.

jjwr
Apr 15th, 2004, 09:21:31 AM
And so did McGuire, I think the reason he's not looked at or critisized is even when he first started in the majors and was a skinny kid he almost hit 50HR, he was consistently up there while Bonds never hit over 50 until all of a sudden he jumped up.

JMK
Apr 15th, 2004, 10:45:10 AM
McGwire did take some heat when he first admitted to taking andro, but no one could really say anything because it wasn't an illegal drug.

CMJ
Apr 15th, 2004, 11:15:50 AM
Dontrelle Willis is a modern day Babe Ruth. Has anyone ever seen a pitcher hit like this? I mean he hit really well last season - AND in the playoffs. I'm not talking about 1.000(because he can't keep that up) - but he was in the 300's.

I wonder if he keeps this up for another couple of seasons if they'll turn him into a first baseman or something.

JMK
Apr 15th, 2004, 12:42:27 PM
I don't know if that would be possible in today's game.
I see you working when you say he would be a first baseman where he won't have to throw very much, but he would break down for sure with that act. Still, if that happened, he's an instant classic.

CMJ
Apr 15th, 2004, 08:58:45 PM
It was just a thought. I doubt he'd ever be a power hitter, but you always need guys that can hit for average....

JMK
Apr 15th, 2004, 09:44:02 PM
This season is only a couple weeks old and it's already a nightmare for the Expos. They've been shut out for 33 consecutive innings, Nick Johnson is out and Carl Everett is on the DL for at least 4-6 weeks and possibly the season. And they played a 'home' game in San Juan today in front of about 8500 people. By the time they get back to Montreal they will be 10 games out of first and effectively done for the year. They'd be lucky to draw 8500 people at that point. Whan an endless nightmare this is for the real baseball fans in this town. :(

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 19th, 2004, 01:59:46 PM
Boston took 3 out of 4 from New York this weekend after winning this morning's Patriot Day game. That was huge. A good start for them against their archrivals :)

CMJ
Apr 19th, 2004, 03:41:45 PM
Yeah, it was great.

BUT.....

We're not even a tenth into the season yet. Besides, Baltimore leads the division...not Boston. Long way to go.

I'm not celebrating anything.

jjwr
Apr 19th, 2004, 06:40:01 PM
We've got a huge Yankee at work, I keep telling him to be more worried about Baltimore than the Red Sox. With Baltimore getting better and the Sox & Yankees I highly doubt the wild card will come out of that division, the winner will take all.

Yanks haven't played Baltimore either and the Sox have two more to go after the last two delayed.

Should be interesting.

A fun number .160...nice average A-Rod! :)

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 19th, 2004, 08:38:38 PM
Baltimore has no pitching besides Ponson they will be barely by .500 by July. It is Boston, New York those are the teams that will decide that division.

jjwr
Apr 20th, 2004, 06:17:02 AM
One of those teams will win the division, I have no doubts about that but the with the Devil Rays improved and the Orioels able to put up runs on just about anyone it won't be a cupcake division anymore, both teams will lose more games to those two then in the past, which in turn should keep the records down and keep the wild card out of the division.

JMK
Apr 20th, 2004, 06:37:40 AM
There's a long list of star players that have dismal batting averages this season so far. It's been a weird start to the year...

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 20th, 2004, 09:17:24 AM
I am not sure its hard to say really, Toronto looks bad, and I don't think Tampa has improved that much maybe have Toronto's record from last year at best. I still think the wild Card will come from the Al East the other divisions I feel don't have a second team, except maybe the AL West though Anaheim is struggling right now.

jjwr
Apr 20th, 2004, 11:33:31 AM
The other divisions don't need to have multiple good teams to soak up the wild card, the more bad teams they have and a mediocre team to take advantage of them could be enough.

As for A-Rod, his numbers will improve, he'll end up having a good year but for now I think its quite funny how much he's struggling, especially with Soriano tearing it up :)

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 20th, 2004, 11:38:17 AM
Well the Central division is bad the winner of that division will probably win 90 games (no dominant team just a bunch of mediocre ones) really it is just the west you have Oakland and Anhaiem, one will win the division the other one will be up for the wild card, I say that team and the NY/Boston will be the wild card winner.

jjwr
Apr 24th, 2004, 09:59:47 AM
Lets go Yank....er....Red Sox :)

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 24th, 2004, 10:44:39 AM
Heh Boston did look good last night, hope they can keep it up this weekend.

Ryan Pode
Apr 24th, 2004, 10:56:05 PM
I think while the O's have only Ponson as pitching, they have an on-and-off strong bullpen, and by the break, they should be finding some consistancy. Right now, I'm really impressed with their hitting ability.

On another note, wtf happened to the Yankees?

CMJ
Apr 24th, 2004, 11:36:46 PM
It's not even May yet. Don't write off the Bombers yet. I've seen them come thru too many times to gloat yet.

So far the Sox have won 5 of 6 over the Yanks. The pessimist in me says at least the season series will be 14-5 Yanks and not worse. :p

Until we clinch I just can't get too excited. Following the Sox is a Passion play.

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 25th, 2004, 12:30:19 AM
LOL I know what you mean, I am optimist so I see it like this I was hoping for them to win 5 out of the first 7 and then at they could split the next 11 (win 5-6) and win the series. Now they could sweep Pedro is going and Vaquez is going on three days rest I think that is insane this early in the season, I think it shows Steinbrenner's influence right now. What really has impressed me about Boston is the pullpen it looks a lot better from last year, they have gone 22 straight innings without giving up a ER. As for Baltimore I am not convinced by their pitching they have nothing 2-5. And there Bullpen isn't that good, they have no dominant closer I think they will finish third and above .500.

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 25th, 2004, 10:40:49 PM
The Red Sox swept the Yankees, first time since 99. Also Pedro had a brilliant game going 7 shutout innings. Things are looking good at the moment for my Soxs.

jjwr
Apr 26th, 2004, 04:12:34 AM
Definetly! And the thing with the Sox is they're not even at full strength, all of these men left on base won't be as big of a factor once Trot and Nomar get back on the field and on track.

Its definetly too early to count the Yankee's out, the season is only 1/8th of the way done, yes the Yankee's are 3 games under .500 but they could reel of 20 wins out of their next 30 and be a very solid 28-21....but for now definetly savor the wins, I know we'll be harassing the local Yankee fan at work once he shows up.....well IF he shows up :)

JMK
Apr 26th, 2004, 06:41:29 AM
I wonder if King George is going to fire someone over this?

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 26th, 2004, 11:23:37 AM
LOL I am surprised he hasn't had a fit over it. Still some players on that team might never wake up, there are people saying Williams might be hurt really bad, Gammons said he hit the ball on the screws Saturday and it went nowhere which is really a bad sign. Also Giambi knees are bad who knows how long he can last and if he was using steriods as it now appears (somebody said they saw Conte give them to him) it could be why he had the numbers he did before.

Jedieb
Apr 27th, 2004, 03:18:04 PM
We were your BIATCHES this weekend. What these early season games have made me believe is that ONE of these bitter AL East rivals is not going to make the playoffs. It's too early to tell if it'll be the Yanks or Sox, but Boston has to feel good about how they've handled NY so far. Last year the rivalry was a close one, right up to the end. That's not the case so far. :(

imported_J'ktal Anajii
Apr 27th, 2004, 03:50:52 PM
Good gravy! Could the Mariners suck any worse?

What happened? After last year's amazing season, the M's are just blowing one game after another. Grr, that really annoys me!

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 27th, 2004, 04:26:43 PM
Originally posted by Jedieb
We were your BIATCHES this weekend. What these early season games have made me believe is that ONE of these bitter AL East rivals is not going to make the playoffs. It's too early to tell if it'll be the Yanks or Sox, but Boston has to feel good about how they've handled NY so far. Last year the rivalry was a close one, right up to the end. That's not the case so far. :(

I am not sure about that I think they both could still make it, the only real rival for the wild card, IMO is the Al West second place team, Baltimore just don't have the pitching to win it, and the AL Central is parity on crack.

JMK
Apr 28th, 2004, 06:47:05 AM
Originally posted by J'ktal Anajii
Good gravy! Could the Mariners suck any worse?

What happened? After last year's amazing season, the M's are just blowing one game after another. Grr, that really annoys me!

They could be the Expos. Once the Padres scored 2 runs in the first I literally turned the game off because I knew they couldn't overcome a 2 run deficit with *only* 24 outs & 8 innings to work with. They lost 3-0. They're truly horrible this year with absolutely NO power or ability to even hit the ball. They're 5-16 and in their 5 wins, 4 of them were 1 run victories, the other a 2 run win. They could quite conceivably be 0-21 right now. So sad.

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 29th, 2004, 09:23:07 PM
The Red Sox swept the Devil Rays in a day-night double header, they have won 6 in a row and had a 32 inning shutout streak going. The Bullpen has gone like 30+ innings of scoreless ball, big difference from last season. Right now the Sox have the best record at 15-6, with their Pitching they have a very formidable team.

jjwr
Apr 30th, 2004, 04:33:09 AM
Pitching wins and the Sox have it in spades, as long as their staff stays healthy even in April you can look ahead and think they'll be one of the top teams.

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 30th, 2004, 07:53:41 AM
Yeah the Sox have the pitching, especially with the addition of Schilling and Foulke, those two right now are the difference from last season. The Offense hasn't been great but I figure it will get better when Nomar and Nixon come back.

CMJ
May 1st, 2004, 11:07:26 AM
Well...Martinez is threatening to test the Free Agent market after the season. Looks like this has to be the year for Boston.

Jedieb
May 5th, 2004, 07:20:11 PM
Boston just took a 3 run lead on Cleveland. If they can hold on they'll end this skid. Granted, they'll still have to face the indignity of blowing their early lead on the Yankees in 1 week, but hey, at least they'll have gotten off the snide! :evil

JMK
May 5th, 2004, 09:30:02 PM
Originally posted by CMJ
Well...Martinez is threatening to test the Free Agent market after the season. Looks like this has to be the year for Boston.

I knew he wouldn't keep quiet for a whole season while he shares the spotlight with Schilling.

jjwr
May 6th, 2004, 06:08:44 AM
Still tied with the Yankee's, nothing wrong with that. With the Red Sox early offensive struggles its amazing they've won as many games as they have. With Nomar and Trot missing they were definetly short and did a remarkable job of holding together while they were gone.

As for the Yankee's, everyone knew they would turn it around, they've won 8 now I think but a lot have been close games, they're not as good as this 8 game stretch, but they're not as bad as the first 19 either. A very solid offensive team when all cylinders are hitting, there are some big ? marks in Sheffield and Bernie and Lieber and Brown both have histories on the pitching side, should be interesting to see if they can all hold up for a year.

As for Pedro, what a bum, like getting 17 Million and being the highest paid pitcher in the MLB isn't enough, co-incidence that as soon as he opens his mouth the Sox go on their slide?

JMK
May 6th, 2004, 06:38:01 AM
I'm not prepared to blame this whole losing streak on Pedro, but there was no way he was going to be quiet this season.

jjwr
May 6th, 2004, 09:30:39 AM
Agreed, its not his fault, the hitting had been elaving tons of men on base all year, in one game they were 0-18 with men on base and still won. The hitting woes were there but they were a bit charmed and kept churning out the wins, it finally caught up to them though.

Pedro....he definetly won't be quiet, with everything going so well though that kind of comment wasn't needed, the managemtn did a good job of just being quiet and pushing it away for the time being.

I still say trade him for a young stud type pitcher and move on, with his injury history can you really count on the guy in the long run?

JMK
May 6th, 2004, 10:55:42 AM
He's already lost some velocity off his fastball. In another 2-3 years it's going to lose even more. I'd see how far he can take you this season and then trade him for a young stud, like you said jjwr.

Jedi Master Carr
May 6th, 2004, 11:07:00 AM
Well if they are in the pennant race they can't trade him, you might as well get what you can from this season and let him go next season. Also I think playing on the road helped their slump sometimes you can overcome poor hitting at home better than on the road.

Jedieb
May 6th, 2004, 03:25:55 PM
My biggest problem with Pedro has always been how fragile his body is. For one game, it's hard not to pick him to start your must win. But for an ENTIRE season he wouldn't even make my top 5. I want a guy who'll be there for the entire season. Not someone who'll "shut it down" to protect his arm or nurse yet another nagging injury.

Case in point, the Rocket is off to 6-0 start in Houston. Clemens is a friggin' stud. Anyone see Pedro doing this 8 years from now?

JMK
May 6th, 2004, 03:38:57 PM
Agreed 100%

There's no way in hell 17 million should buy a great pitcher who will shut it down on a whim. 17 million gets you at least 30-35 starts, all of which are good outings. Of course that isn't entirely realistic as every pitcher gets knocked around at some point during the season, but if you're the highest paid pitcher in the league, you HAVE to have the stats to back it up, not the reputation, history or potential.

Jedi Master Carr
May 6th, 2004, 08:31:53 PM
Pedro is in the Koufax and Gibson mold both pictures were small but dominant and their bodies couldn't hold up.

jjwr
May 7th, 2004, 06:14:36 AM
If he can make it through this year without going on the DL then he may have a case but thats highly unlikely. He's had a injury history and theres no reason to believe it won't happen again. On the flip side with Lowe & Schilling in the mix the sox can let him rest more and maybe he will hold up.

Either way he's a huge ???, the majority of the Sox pitching staff is old, they've got Kim & Arroyo who are young but the other 4 starters are all over 30 with Schilling closing in on 40. They need some youth.

JMK
May 7th, 2004, 06:44:41 AM
Yeah, it must suck to be Theo Epstein. Having to negotiate contracts with guys that are older than you. :)

Ryan Pode
May 18th, 2004, 08:05:02 PM
Randy Johnson, 40 years old and still getting no hitters.

JMK
May 19th, 2004, 09:05:27 PM
Never mind no-hitters, he threw a perfect game! Truly remarkable stuff for a 40 year old.

jjwr
May 20th, 2004, 04:43:43 AM
He's down right impressive.

Johnson, Schilling & Clemens, 3 very impressive "old" guys.

darth_mcbain
May 20th, 2004, 08:54:24 AM
Unbelievable, that Johnson. I was hoping to watch that game and I was too busy :mad . A very impressive feat!

jjwr
Jun 3rd, 2004, 06:58:48 AM
Is anyone else disgusted by the MLB All-Star System? The thing is a total joke, take into considerations these little tidbits.

1. Team encourage their fans to stuff the ballot boxes for their hometown players
2. Each team receives at least 1 All-Star
3. World Series Managers picking the Subs
4. The Fan Vote.....Nomar to start? Nuff Said.

What a joke, the 1st one I can see, you'll have that as local fans and teams want their players in, the other 3 are a joke though.

#2 - Why should teams who are already 20 Games out of 1st place by All-Star Break be guaranteed a All-Star? If all the players on said team suck then they don't get a All-Star, simple as that. Stop rewarding the cheap owners who won't pay realistic salaries and forcing a sub-par player in when one who is truly worthy doesn't go.

#3 - We've seen this before and we probably will again, Mr. Torre always likes to load the team up with Yankee's even when they are not deserving. I don't recall the year but it was possibly after their loss to the Diamonbacks that he select numerous Yankee's to the team, many who weren't deserving. This reeks of favortism, the reserves should be selected by a vote from all of the Managers in each League.

#4 - Nomar? I mean really, yeah the guy is good and a very legit All-Star when he's playing but considering he hasn't played a inning yet this year and he's leading the AL in votes. Then you have Jeter in second place, and while he has played all year he isn't any more deserving of being the starting Short Stop than Nomar is. Big Market players get the most votes and most spots while small market players who are having much better years get ignored. Then there are certain players who always make it in on name alone. Giambi at first base? Please. Damon in the outfield? Nope!

Sorry, just felt like doing a little ranting this mornign :)

JMK
Jun 3rd, 2004, 09:14:07 AM
I agree totally. But at least the all-star game doesn't mean anything. It's all meant to appease the fans in the big markets though. If the Yanks and Sox are on the team in droves, then the fans in those big ball markets are more likely to watch. No one in NY or Boston cares if Eric Chavez or Jose Vidro make the all star team.

But Nomar being #1 at short is an utter joke.

jjwr
Jun 3rd, 2004, 10:04:22 AM
Ah but it does mean something, remember it grants home field advantage now.....which in turn could push someone like Torre to put more of his players on the team to try and give the AL a better chance and give his team home field advantage if it makes the World Series(god I hope not!)

JMK
Jun 3rd, 2004, 11:28:19 AM
The way the Yankees are stacked I don't see why they just don't make it the rest of the MLB vs the Yankees. :\

Cyrel Annat
Jun 4th, 2004, 07:01:57 PM
Ah but it does mean something, remember it grants home field advantage now

Which is the biggest bunch of horse droppings they could have come up with. Nevermind the great teams that work their tails off so that they can earn homefield advantage. Suppose you have a wild card team that honestly, barely makes it to the post-season. They hit a stroke of luck and make it to the World Series. They happen to be playing the team that has the best record in baseball, but they're at home because of the All-Star game. It's a crock, plain and simple.

JMK
Jun 5th, 2004, 10:19:27 AM
Yep. Another ploy by Butt Selig to get folks to watch the game and to try and get players to 'care' about being in the game.

Cyrel Annat
Jun 5th, 2004, 10:28:26 AM
Indeed. Whatever happened to the players taking pride in the game and in their play? Oh yeah. They only care about the money. Since the paycheck's there whether they go 4-4 or 0-4, I guess it's no big deal. >_< :verymad

Jedieb
Jun 5th, 2004, 09:51:39 PM
Is the AllStar game determining HF any worse than the previous system? I always thought alternating HF between leagues every year was ridiculous. Every other major sport, except the NFL of course, lets record determine HF. That's the way it should be. Still, it's hard to defend the AllStar game determining HF. It doesn't make much sense. hopefully Bud will change his mind sometime soon.

Cyrel Annat
Jun 7th, 2004, 11:46:06 PM
Change his mind to another equally retarded idea. It should simply be the way that it usually is for most sports. The team with the best regular season record is rewarded by having homefield advantage. It's that way in every sport save for football, when the championship is played on neutral ground. (Usually, though there have been cases where one team is much closer to home).

jjwr
Jun 8th, 2004, 06:23:38 AM
Baseball is just silly in a lot of ways, stupid rules that have been around so long they don't change them.

Home field should be decided by best record, simple as that, the team with the better record gets 4 out of the 7 games, why must it be so difficult?

JMK
Jun 8th, 2004, 06:41:47 AM
Because jjwr, don't you know, playing that way would make WAY too much sense. Selig needs to have things more complicated than they need to be. I'll be so glad when he's gone, though he's already left his damaging mark.

jjwr
Jun 8th, 2004, 12:17:59 PM
Too true, using common sense with baseball means its automatically a no.

Jedieb
Jun 8th, 2004, 09:03:19 PM
As bad as Selig has been, he still accomplished something his last few predesessors(sp?) couldn't, a labor agreement without a strike. That's a pretty sad commentary on MLB, it's union, and their recent labor history.

But let's get back to actual baseball.
Yankees 36-20 (Best record in baseball)
Red Sox 34-23
Good gawd, how do you guys live through the agony? :evil

Clemens is going for 9-0 tonight. I'm really glad to see he's having a great season.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 8th, 2004, 11:08:24 PM
We are still right there with you and we still don't have Nomar, he will back this week not sure if tomorrow or Thursday, than we will get Nixon after that. I think we need one more starting picture, before this season started I didn't think so, but with Lowe's struggles and we don't really have a 5th starter they need to get one. I say Freddie Garcia he is a really good picture.

jjwr
Jun 9th, 2004, 06:16:12 AM
Saying his best accomplishment is a Labor Agreement without a strike is all well and good until you look at the specifics.

For starters the cream-puff drug policy, its a total joke and the only reason it may get changed is the pressure being put on mlb by Congress and with all of the Balco accusations coming out.

Then theres the whole Salary cap issue, Baseball has a severe $$$ inequity, I'm not talking just the Yankee's, Red Sox, etc I'm talking the teams on the other end of the Spectrum. The owners who will barely spend enough $$$ to get a decent team on the field, never pays their Free Agents and offers their fans no real hope of a World Series every year. Baseball Salaries have come down quite a bit, a hard 2 level Salary Cap would do the game a world of good, you would have parity and a number of teams who actaully have a chance to win the series rather than be eliminated by May.

As for the Yankee's.....well if a 2.5 game lead over a team who's been missing arguably its best player all year makes you happy then so be it :)

Oddly enough both the Red Sox & Yankee's have the two best records in baseball, so much for my thought about the rest of the division being good enough that the Wild Card wouldn't com from that division. At this point I think its a lock.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 9th, 2004, 01:06:04 PM
Well Tampa Bay has been worst than last year, and Toronto has been very bad too, Baltimore has been a little better but not enough to make a difference so far. The only challenger for the Wild card for Boston is Oakland and I don't think they will make it, they have little offense and no closer I see them finishing well behind Boston or New York for the wild card.

JMK
Jun 9th, 2004, 02:05:38 PM
Originally posted by jjwr
Then theres the whole Salary cap issue, Baseball has a severe $$$ inequity, I'm not talking just the Yankee's, Red Sox, etc I'm talking the teams on the other end of the Spectrum. The owners who will barely spend enough $$$ to get a decent team on the field, never pays their Free Agents and offers their fans no real hope of a World Series every year. Baseball Salaries have come down quite a bit, a hard 2 level Salary Cap would do the game a world of good, you would have parity and a number of teams who actaully have a chance to win the series rather than be eliminated by May.

That's partially the problem with teams like the Marlins and Angels (pre Arturo Moreno sp?). With small market teams winning the World Series under the current system, it just gives people the ammo they need to say "See? The current system works just fine. You don't have to be rich to be competitive".

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 9th, 2004, 02:13:01 PM
I don't see the Angels and Marlins as small markets personally (how could anybody call LA and Miami small markets??) I say they are almost big markets, IMO. They have more money to spend than the Brewers and Pirates, and Expos those teams are in poverty.

JMK
Jun 9th, 2004, 03:27:34 PM
Well they aren't huge baseball markets. It's why the Marlins had a firesale after the 97 WS, and a mini one after the 2003 WS by losing Lee, Santiago and Pudge. The Angels have always been overshadowed by the Dodgers, but in recent years it's been swining the Angels' way because they've been good. But check the attendance figures in Miami, they're nowhere near what you would call big market draws. Heck, all of Florida doesn't really seem to care a whole lot about MLB, Barry Bonds' first visit to Tampa drew less than 14000 fans.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 9th, 2004, 03:54:21 PM
Oh and by the way I wasn't talking to you :p it was too the media's attention to them. Well I think the Marlins have been misrun especially after they won the WS the first time the team was gutted and after that the people didn't come back so that hurt that franchise honestly. But it used to be a big market before that. The Angles until recenently have used their resourses right they are now are close to big market in part because of the Dodgers troubles. That is why personally I divide up Baseball into big market teams (ala Boston, Mets, Yankees, Cubs, Braves,etc)
Mid Market teams (Angels, Marlins, Twins, A's) Small markets (Pirates, Padres, Expos, Brewers)
Right now the only small market team that is doing well is the Padres, but they are in such a bad division I almost don't want to count it :p

Jedieb
Jun 9th, 2004, 05:18:27 PM
Saying his best accomplishment is a Labor Agreement without a strike is all well and good until you look at the specifics.
That's why I said it was a sad commentary on recent MLB labor history. It's always been bad, but things are actually better now than they were a couple of years ago, I think.

JMK
Jun 9th, 2004, 10:08:22 PM
Maybe marginally better, but the sport is still sick and I fear it always will be.

jjwr
Jun 10th, 2004, 06:27:37 AM
True things are better, just still not good :)

Nomahhh!!

JMK
Jun 17th, 2004, 06:54:19 AM
Please tell me someone saw the Twins' 11th inning "homerun" last night? What a bloody joke MLB is.

jjwr
Jun 17th, 2004, 09:01:13 AM
I didn't see it....what was the story?

JMK
Jun 17th, 2004, 09:05:48 AM
Well after the Umps called 2 Expo hitters out on clear check swings, in the top of the 11th Luis Rivas hits a line drive down the 3rd base line which was so clearly foul it's incomprehensible that anyone...especially trained pros could get it wrong. Especially in extra innings! I have nothing but contempt for MLB.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 17th, 2004, 05:05:25 PM
Well at least they aren't as bad as the NBA :p

Jedieb
Jun 18th, 2004, 03:38:05 PM
Some pretty good interleague showdowns are coming up. The Sox are facing Barry Bonds and the Giants. Pedro V. Bonds! The Sox are saying they WILL pitch to Bonds and let's hope no one dares to tell Pedro to walk Bonds. Also, the Yankees and the Dodgers are playing each other. Let the 70's and 80's clips begin!

The Cubs have a bit of winning streak going and are within 2 of St. Louis. Maddox and Prior both had solid starts against Houston. And out of nowhere the Devil Rays are acting as if they've joined the MLB! They've got the second best record in MLB over the last 20 games. Granted, they had a strecth where they went 3-19, but hey, you take good news where you can find it. Hey, who's got the best record in MLB over the same stretch? Oh, that's right..... sorry Sox fans. :evil

Cyrel Annat
Jun 18th, 2004, 10:06:36 PM
The Cubs have a bit of winning streak going and are within 2 of St. Louis. Maddox and Prior both had solid starts against Houston.

Which unfortunately came to an end today against the A's and frankly, this is what I was concerned about going into this series. The Cubs played lights-out ball down in Texas and really, they're without their key guys. Prior is most definitely back, but his outings are still a bit short due to him just now coming back. Wood is out though has been doing more bullpen work to get back into the rotation again (bullpen practice, not pitching in games). And Sosa is just now back. But still, I will take a 6-game streak against very solid baseball teams. The A's are another strong team from the AL that the Cubs are up against. And Houston had their key pitchers on the mound, they're just having a rough time of it right now.

I'll be curious to see how the Cubs fare in the next two games against more power-pitching from Mulder and Zito (I think those are the next two, I know Zito for sure but can't remember if it's Mulder or Hudson tomorrow). Today, maybe it was just a letdown, but the A's pitcher (I forget his name right now) was a finesse pitcher and the Cubs seem to have problems with that. They tagged Houston's typical power pitchers in Oswalt, Redding, etc.

As far as the rest of the season goes, I really feel like I can say this is the year. I can at least hope. The pitching has been just short of fantastic as far as starters go. Zambrano has nearly made himself the ace of the staff, Clement gave another solid performance today despite the loss. Only gave up two runs. Maddux is simply Maddux. Prior will be back, Wood's coming back, and then there's that guy named Glendon Rusch who pretty much came out of nowhere and has pitched some great baseball.

The run support has been there for a change, with a few exceptions, yet there's been no Sosa. Sure, I'm glad he's coming back and I look forward to the patended hop when he belts one out of the state, but I really do wonder if they need him. In years past, I would have said yes, but the Cubs right now are all picking each other up and not relying on the 'big name.'

Jedieb
Jun 29th, 2004, 12:58:48 PM
Big series in NY today. This could be it for the Sox. If the Yanks sweep then the AL East race is OVER. That's right, I said it! If Boston goes down 9 games in early July they'll never catch NY. The Sox have to avoid a sweep at all costs. Even 1 measly victory would only cost them a game. They can afford that, but not 3. Tonight it's Javier Vazquez against Derek Lowe. Lowe's last 3 starts have been excellent and Vazquez has been the Yanks' best overall pitcher this season. Let the fun begin!

CMJ
Jun 29th, 2004, 01:14:11 PM
I'm expectin g the Yanks to take 2 of 3. Though I hope of course the other way around.

JMK
Jun 30th, 2004, 06:43:57 AM
Sorry boys. I can no longer talk about baseball. The Expos suck and Frank Robinson's ineptitude as manager has lobotomized us all up here. If he was managing ANY of the other 29 teams he would have been fired long ago.

Jedieb
Jun 30th, 2004, 08:14:03 PM
Honestly, how do you Sox fans continue to breathe? At some point, don't you just want to swallow a bullet? Another error at first base, another Yankee come back, another heartbreaker. Rivera is coming on now to put you out of your misery. You poor bastards. Why do you keep fighting? THE CURSE WILL NEVER LET YOU GO! :evil

jjwr
Jul 1st, 2004, 08:10:10 AM
Poor starting pitching will hurt the Yankee's in the post season, all of these come from behind wins they're getting now will bite them come playoffs.

As for the Sox, they're errors are a little on the wierd side, they've lost a number of games this year due to them.

JMK
Jul 1st, 2004, 10:26:48 AM
The Yanks have too much of a psychological edge over the Sox. That's the end of it right there. The Sox have to MUCH better than the Yankees on the field to overcome this giant intangible advantage.

JMK
Jul 1st, 2004, 08:40:41 PM
I hope some of you are watching this game. It's been great. The Red Sox showed a lot of character coming back from a 3-0 deficit, but they should have found a way to win that game in the top of the 11th. Bases loaded, no out and A-Rod turns that brilliant double play. You could almost hear the cries of agony from Boston.

CMJ
Jul 1st, 2004, 08:52:21 PM
I'm keeping track - but the game isn't televised here.

Honestly though, the news about Coack K leaving Duke has knocked me out. I'm still in a daze.

Doc Milo
Jul 1st, 2004, 10:51:50 PM
Jeter saves the game by making a fantastic catch and giving up his body, diving head-first into the stands. He leaves the game bloodied and bruised, looking like a boxer that had just gone 15 rounds.

Sox -- ManRam -- goes deep giving them a 4-3 lead. Two outs bottom of the inning. Looks like Yanks are about done. Then Sierra gets on base, Miguel Cairo hits a double into the gap that scores Sierra and ties the game. Flahtery comes up, pinch hitting for the pitcher -- yes, that's right, the pitcher was due up to bat because the Yankees had to give up their DH. Jeter had to be pinch hit for an inning before because of the injuries. Arod was moved to short, Sheffield to third, and Williams, who had been the DH was moved to the OF. Flahtery, the last Yankee on the bench (the backup catcher) hits a long fly to center, base hit, Cairo scores, the Yankeess win! Thuhhhh Yankees win!

Here's the difference between the heart of the Yankees and the heart of the Sox. Jeter and Garciaparra. Jeter plays hard, gives up his body, gets his face bloodied, all to keep hold of the ball he caught to save the game. Garciaparra opts to sit this game out (his choice according to the manager.) Third game of the Yankees/Red Sox series, his team had lost the first two. A must win for the Sox from purely a moralle standpoint if not a mathematical one -- and Garciaparra opts to sit it out. Jeter would have played if his arm was falling off and his legs were amputated at the knees!

During the game, the only person from both sides not on the top step, edge of their seat, hanging on the railing was ... Garciaparra.

Mark my words, he will be traded by the trading deadline.....

Figrin D'an
Jul 1st, 2004, 11:11:16 PM
Originally posted by CMJ
Honestly though, the news about Coack K leaving Duke has knocked me out. I'm still in a daze.

He isn't gone yet. He's only been offered the Lakers job. To be honest, I'll be surprised if he leaves Durham. He's a college coach, through and through, and there are still some incentives for him to stay in the college game (not the least of which would be breaking the D-1 career wins record).

Back on topic, though... Cubs won in dramatic fashion, with Sosa homering in the bottom of the 10th. They took 2 out of 3 from Houston at Wrigley, to go with the 4 game sweep of the Astros at Minute Maid Park last week. Not too shabby. Just have to catch those darn Cardinals now. St. Louis is all hitting. Their starting pitching has to collapse at some point.

jjwr
Jul 2nd, 2004, 07:49:05 AM
Nomar is as good as gone, if he wasn't before then he will be after this. the Team was doing fine before he came back and hasn't really gotten anythingg from him since he came back. Trade him now, get it over with.

Great game though, I didn't see it but from what I've heard it was incredible.

Wow Coach K in LA.....that will be interesting if it happens.

JMK
Jul 2nd, 2004, 08:07:54 AM
What a heel Nomar has become. I can't believe he wasn't willing to participate in yesterday's game, which was a must-win for the Sox. Just terrible.

Jedieb
Jul 2nd, 2004, 04:01:32 PM
Some great baseball yesterday, but all ESPN seems to want to focus on is the Lakers soap opera. I saw Sammy's walk off extra inning homer, it was great to watch. As for the Yankees, I'm starting to regret not forking down the cash for the YES network or whatever package would give me access to these games. The line for that game is just amazing. One comeback after another. Wasted opportunities by both teams. Reese makes a great play, Jeter gives up his body. Manny homers for the second time. The Yanks are down to 2 outs with no one on base. Then The Curse works its magic and Boston is devastated yet again. The division race is now over. Make no mistake, on paper the Sox should still win the WC, but if they don't improve their defense and get their house in order, they will get caught by a team and miss the playoffs altogether.

jjwr
Jul 8th, 2004, 08:59:35 AM
I still find it funny the curse always gets brought up with the two of them, the Sox had been doing the samet hing all year, leaving runners in scoring position, and the Yankee's had been doing the same thing, scoring runs late to win.

Division race definetly isn't over yet, the Sox have their full lineup together for the first time this year and are coming on strong. Yankee's starting pitchers are still mediocre and without the offense to bail them out they will lose games. I think at least 4 more games left to play between the two teams, including a series at the very end of the season.

The big question will be what moves the two teams make, I really wouldn't be suprised to see Randy Johnson end up with one of these two teams, if he wants to win another Championship before he retires then these are his best chances, Arizona is going nowhere. Should be interesting.

JMK
Jul 8th, 2004, 10:13:58 AM
I just think the Red Sox are in a world of hurt. They see the Yankees way in front, they see clubhouse controversy, they see an unhappy Nomar, the pressure of beating the Yankees, killing the curse...all that compounded stuff is almost impossible to overcome. Or seemingly impossible. I don't know what it's going to take for them to get over the hump, but as the Yankees continue to roll, the Sox are gripping the bats tighter and tighter and in this day and age, every move a member of that organization makes is magnified and takes on a life of its own. The constant frustration is going to build to a critical mass and just collapse. Then what? They start over...get out of the war that they seem to never want to end with the Yankees and just play ball. Then they may win something.

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 8th, 2004, 05:24:51 PM
Although the Yankees are hurting right now losing 4 out of their last Five. Boston has been beating up on Oakland. I think Boston can still get the wild card, if they can get their pictching worked out. Really Lowe has been the problem for them this year he has been awful, big difference from Last year. And I can't come up with an explanation for it. Now about Randy. ESPN thinks he won't go out East, they say he will go to Anaheim if anywhere, although you got to wonder if Schilling could make a pitch to him, would be an amazing three man rotation if it could some how happen, although I bet he stays in Arizona right now.

JMK
Jul 8th, 2004, 06:10:28 PM
Why would Randy Johnson go to the east? He's got his ring. He's pitched a perfect game this year, reached 4000 K's, both this season. Why would he ruin that by going to the Yankees or Red Sox? Anaheim really is the perfect fit for him. They have all the hitting they could ever need to win in October, a dominant guy like Johnson could be all the Angels need to do it again.

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 8th, 2004, 06:16:53 PM
I actually thinks he will go nowhere he is happy where he is, the only possibility is if Schilling can talk him into coming to Boston, but I see that as unlikely. If Boston wants pitching they are going to have to go after somebody like Kris Benson, maybe David Wells when San Diego falls out of the race.

JMK
Jul 9th, 2004, 01:41:55 PM
Ugh...ESPN is reporting that Johnson is NOT opposed to playing for the Yankees if he were to be moved to a contender. :x

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 9th, 2004, 01:55:12 PM
How about Boston?? I think he would rather go there because of Schilling. Also the Diamonbacks owner hates Steinbrenner if he is going to trade him to NY he will want more than probably any other team, he did that with Schilling he asked for Sorano and Contrereas and got almost nothing from Boston for Schilling.

JMK
Jul 9th, 2004, 02:37:07 PM
Well they said that Schilling's wife was trying to get tickets next to Johnson's wife so she could try and sway her to Boston. The story though is that if he were going to go to an eastern contender it would be the Yankees. Then again, that could be the New York media trying to whip the Boston media / fans into a frenzy and send them further into the crapper.

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 9th, 2004, 05:24:20 PM
It could be a bogus story too, Johnson has said repeditely that he doesn't want to leave Arizona, it wouldn't shock me if this was made up. Sure Boston might try to get him, but I don't think he would be successful. Also how about this Boston bringing back Clemens. Houston is falling apart they could try to get something for him, but I think that is unlikely not sure if he would want to go back there. People in Boston still call him a traitor.

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 9th, 2004, 09:47:12 PM
Also I wouldn't believe the NY Daily News rumor that is nothing more than a trash rag. Also anybody see the piece on ESPN about RJ landing in NY and Clemens back in Boston? I don't think it would happen but that would be some fantasy thing. I am also looking at the Boston board though and they all seem to think Boston will get RJ, I guess because of the Schilling connection. Schilling reportedly said on NESN that RJ wouldn't veto a trade to Boston, don't know if that means anything, Arizona may never trade him, or trade him to Anaheim.

JMK
Jul 10th, 2004, 07:27:49 AM
Someone probably made those trades on their XBox or PS2 and figured 'WOW! Imagine if that were to really happen!"

Jedieb
Jul 10th, 2004, 12:35:05 PM
If Johnson didn't already have a ring a trade to the Yankees or the Sox would be a done deal. I think that ring may just keep him in Arizona. I wouldn't be surprised to see him finish his career in Arizona.

CMJ
Jul 10th, 2004, 12:49:28 PM
Plus, he loves living there. I don't think he'll want to uproot again.

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 10th, 2004, 08:41:55 PM
yeah I this is more the media starting this then anything else. I am sure NY and Boston would love to have them, but they no they probably won't. And where has the Red Sox offense come from?? Wow they go home and have scored like 10 runs a game in the last five games. I still think they need some pitching, I am not high on Benson and am not sure what else will be out there.

Figrin D'an
Jul 10th, 2004, 08:46:07 PM
If Johnson goes anywhere, it'll be to Anaheim. They have the young talent Arizona wants, and seem willing to make a deal to get a big time veteran for their staff. And it's still reasonably close to Phoenix.

JMK
Jul 10th, 2004, 09:39:19 PM
Anaheim would just be a perfect fit for Johnson. The way that team can hit (I got to watch them pound the Jays today), having a monster like Johnson out there would be huge for them.

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 10th, 2004, 09:59:47 PM
Yeah but I am not sure he will make a difference, Anaheim has been a huge disapointment this year only Houston has been the bigger dud in MLB so far (I guess Florida needs to be included in this). I guess he could help them though, who knows that division is kind of weird the winner probably will win 90 games.

Cyrel Annat
Jul 11th, 2004, 12:16:06 PM
Well, one of Anaheim's biggest letdowns this season has been subpar and sporadic pitching. Their offense is not lacking, and adding someone like Johnson to the staff would be huge. Not only does it give a solid pitcher, but he has plenty of experience in big games and can pass that on to the others.