PDA

View Full Version : Colin McRae 04

Morgan Evanar
Apr 7th, 2004, 01:00:59 PM
Oh hey. We have a bazillion different cars, including the Group B specs, 48 different tracks, A m a z i n g graphics and detail on said cars, suspension/gearbox tuning, tire choice, and

NOT DISTRIBUTING THE PC VERSION IN THE STATES. :rolleyes

GG NEXTSTAGE. I realize that Rally isn't the most popular form of motorsport in the US. NASCAR would easily take that title. I'm not bashing the skill of the NASCAR drivers, but ovals are so boring. Rally? Well, we race on backroads in some of the world's most exotic locations, have some of the deepest racing history, and aren't afraid of any terrain.

Snow? Sure. Gravel? You bet. Tarmac? Sure. Altitudes ranging from sea level to over 4000 feet? We got that. Only thing it doesn't have is a V8 rumble. I think I can live with that.

From what I can tell in the demo, the handling model for the cars is stellar. Each terrain feels distinctive. Tightening up and dropping the car will easily shave several seconds off in spain. Sweden? Better make those sway bars stiffer than carbon fiber. Tire choice is huge.

So, wth? GIVE ME MY RALLY.

JMK
Apr 7th, 2004, 01:14:08 PM
Rally racing rules the world.

Morgan Evanar
Apr 7th, 2004, 01:35:34 PM
Yes, so does international football. I love American Football, and I can understand why soccer isn't the most popular thing here. Nascar baffles me though. I don't care if its open wheel or not, ovals suck. I'd love to see a Nascar street race. That would be cool. But really, Codemasters, give us a chance.

Morgan Evanar
Apr 7th, 2004, 01:46:27 PM
http://www.fileshack.com/file.x?fid=4814 Demo of most fine tastyness.

JMK
Apr 7th, 2004, 02:37:40 PM
Nascar is cool though it has nothing on other types of racing that don't involve 500 laps of nothing but left turn. :)

Marcus Telcontar
Apr 18th, 2004, 04:05:54 PM
We have had NASCAR racing around Bathurst - whhhhhheeeeeee! Cool as! No aero to speak of, tiny brakes, not so good tyres makes for spectaclar racing.

But anyway...

Only thing it doesn't have is a V8 rumble

In Australia, it does. Ossum to hear a V8 trench digging in a forest.

But anyway.....

Tried the demo out on a decent PC. My impressions are as follows -

a) The closet to a drivng game I loved

Doing the real thing tends to tint my vision on driving games. Most driving games I get bored with extremely fast. C04 did hold my attention for longer.

b) Learn how a car really handles before playing.

Pretty good in this respect. Changes to the car seem to actualy affect the car accuratly.

c) Oh, SHINEY!

Loved the graphics.

d) Get a wheel and pedal set

Keyboard playing sucks

I liked the demo. Given my quite normal non gaming staus and general dislike of driving games, that's probably as good as an endorsment as I'll give. I'll point out I am exceptionally harsh judge, so a "Yeah, worth a look" is worth plenty.

Doesnt beat the real thing tho :D

Makoto Neo
Apr 18th, 2004, 05:59:31 PM
Edit: Nevermind, it's loading! :D

imported_Ambrose Braeden
Apr 19th, 2004, 11:00:34 AM
I would have to say that C04 is the best racing game yet...

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 29th, 2004, 01:09:42 AM
Originally posted by Ambrose Braeden
I would have to say that C04 is the best racing game yet...

Not hard. Most of them blow chunks.

After playing the real thing on PC, I am impressed. The handling is actually pretty nailed. Wheel and pedals however.... use them.