PDA

View Full Version : Where to find the Real Jedi Archives

Dasquian Belargic
Apr 3rd, 2004, 07:10:25 AM
http://www.irish-architecture.com/onsite/jedi_archives/

I just thought that was quite interesting :)

JMK
Apr 3rd, 2004, 10:01:13 AM
That is really cool. Nice catch. :)

Captain Tyle
Apr 3rd, 2004, 10:39:12 AM
I'm not exactly sure what legal precedent they'd be able to file dispute over, since you don't exactly copyright buildings, and there are such things as public domain, statute of limitations, etc.

Pierce Tondry
Apr 3rd, 2004, 12:35:15 PM
Wouldn't there be something against using an image or likeness of the college for business other than the college's promotion, without written consent?

I don't really know. It just seems the college would have some legal recourse to capitalize on images of its structures.

Marcus Telcontar
Apr 3rd, 2004, 06:36:11 PM
Originally posted by Captain Tyle
I'm not exactly sure what legal precedent they'd be able to file dispute over, since you don't exactly copyright buildings, and there are such things as public domain, statute of limitations, etc.

Actually, buildings are very much copyrightable, or even better, trademarked.

Google for "ANZAC Bridge" and articles on this subject can be found. Teh RSL in Aust enforces it's right of trademark very aggressivelly and is the best example I know of of a building or structure in a similar situation as the college. Consent to use an image or other image that can be constued as the Anzac bridge must be authorised by the RSL, as the holder of the rights to the bridge.

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 4th, 2004, 11:27:50 AM
I am not sure about that. They have put buildings in movies a lot and they never have to pay the people who own the building, if they did movies would cost twice what they cost now. I doubt most buildings are copyrighted at least not in this country.

Marcus Telcontar
Apr 4th, 2004, 02:39:09 PM
Originally posted by Jedi Master Carr
I am not sure about that. They have put buildings in movies a lot and they never have to pay the people who own the building, if they did movies would cost twice what they cost now. I doubt most buildings are copyrighted at least not in this country.

Wrong - Sony had a real fight with NYC over the prices the council there wanted. You just cant film wherever you want. Buildings are very much copyrighted and trademarked.

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 4th, 2004, 09:26:51 PM
I still don't think so yeah there are city filming rights you pay so much for filming in the city. But you don't have to pay individual companies for each building not in the U.S. I know Law and Order film in New York I don't they have to pay for every building they pass. Now Australia law might be different than the U.S so I don't know there.

JMK
Apr 4th, 2004, 10:09:19 PM
I would imagine that if a company's logo and/or a clear relation to that company/building is established in the movie, then they need to be consulted. But then again, I'm no lawyer.

Ryla Relvinian
Apr 5th, 2004, 11:11:02 AM
No, Mark is right. A copyright can cover:

literary, dramatic, musical, artistic, and certain other intellectual works. This protection is available to both published and unpublished works.

So that would include buildings, under "artistic" and possibly also under "intellectual works."

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 5th, 2004, 11:31:55 AM
I am still not sure about that. Why then does NBC not have to pay the building owners for every building in New York then? Also some buildings can't be call artistic things in my opinon unless they are old and by that point they are genearally owned by the state and then it usually doesn't matter.

Pierce Tondry
Apr 5th, 2004, 11:50:45 AM
Artistic doesn't necessarily mean old.

Any building with a certain uniqueness to it, be it an architectural style of the building itself, a color scheme, placement of statues in or around it, can be considered art. There is a strong difference between calling the Seattle space needle or the Sears Tower art as opposed to one of the few random skyscrapers in my home town.

Artistic just means the building comes with an added symbolism.

Senator Thareena
Apr 5th, 2004, 12:23:39 PM
lmao, Carr, if the library was made in the late 1700s, doesn't that count as very old?

I would imagine that this is a case where the library 'people' should have been asked if Lucas could use their library likeness in the movie, and some money should have changed hands. It only makes sense, it's basically CGI plagurism (can't spell) otherwise, imo.

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 5th, 2004, 05:48:46 PM
But the Harry Potter movies have recognizable buildings in their films and I don't think they are paying anybody either. The problem is it is hard to defintely prove. Second this is overseas and they would have to take it to the World Court and according to World Court rules if Lucas decides not to go there would be no case.

Marcus Telcontar
Apr 5th, 2004, 10:00:55 PM
Originally posted by Jedi Master Carr
But the Harry Potter movies have recognizable buildings in their films and I don't think they are paying anybody either. The problem is it is hard to defintely prove. Second this is overseas and they would have to take it to the World Court and according to World Court rules if Lucas decides not to go there would be no case.

Want to bet they dont pay? If it's on location you pay. All film makers must do this if their work falls within certain boundaries. News items, reporting, documentaries are I believe exempt. But, as you are making a derivative work in a film that uses "a recognisable landmark of structure", you pay. There are also council filming fees too.

There are statuers of fair use that allow some use of imagery to be used, but Lucasfilm is a long, long away out of those.

Second this is overseas and they would have to take it to the World Court and according to World Court rules if Lucas decides not to go there would be no case.

Again, want to bet? There'strade agreements that cover copyright and WOULD allow the college to sue and get repatriations in USA courts. If you are the copyright holder or trademark holder in Ireland, then you better believe you can persue a case, even if the offence happened in Califoria.

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 5th, 2004, 10:12:43 PM
Well I still don't know I think its silly that have that kind of copyright power. I am certain Law and Order doesn't pay every building they show in the TV show, they might get a break by the city for it because it gives such recogniziation for Tourism.