PDA

View Full Version : Ze Database, it is wonky!

Morgan Evanar
Apr 1st, 2004, 01:38:29 PM
I'm sure many of you have noticed lately that things at Fans are bizzare. Since I can't touch the server, I'm not really sure whats going on with it. Ogre did mention something about a software issue that munches CPU time, and that it was being worked on. That was something like a month ago and things are still pretty wonky.

I was wondering if an SA style forum archive would help? I'm sure it would make for a smaller, lighter search index.

TheHolo.Net
Apr 1st, 2004, 01:51:25 PM
I am currently working with the host on some MySQL issues.

Please document any issues you come accross for me, thanks.

From what I have seen so far the main issue present to the posters is failure to update thread info with latest post information on some occasions, which is mainly due to the fact that the DB is soemtimes available and sometimes not available, because of the work through the issues the host has been doing over the course of the last six weeks.

The issues I am currently working with the host to try and fix are in fact queries that are very intensive and operate against our largest DB table. The 'post' table has over half a million records. As of right the query issues against that table are making it so that the adminCP main page will not load, the Statistics page wasn't loading until I temporarily disabled the "Posts in the last 24 hours" query, and I am also currently unable to moderate new posts made to the News forum.

As for a SA style Archive. It would require the purchase of another vB license, and then it would require a great deal of custom PHP coding to be able to export topics in their entirety, something I know the wizard coders at SA are capable of but would take me a great deal of effort. >_<

Morgan Evanar
Apr 1st, 2004, 02:04:43 PM
I just figured dump everything older than a year into a different box and it would fly.

I wish I had some money to contribute, but my car is going to eat an engine within the next six months, I just got new suspension (BEFORE the engine decided to start gnawing on the timing chain), and I'm probably moving overseas within the next four to five months. So right now, pretty much every cent is spoken for.

The main issue is the boards being non-responsive for thirty second chunks, which is far more annoying than the post issue. I could probably scrounge $50 twoards another VB liscence, but thats it. :(

Edit: Why not just replicate the board in its current state, dump all of the newer stuff, lock it down, and call it an archive?

TheHolo.Net
Apr 1st, 2004, 02:10:58 PM
Originally posted by Morgan Evanar
The main issue is the boards being non-responsive for thirty second chunks, which is far more annoying than the post issue. I could probably scrounge $50 twoards another VB liscence, but thats it. :(

Edit: Why not just replicate the board in its current state, dump all of the newer stuff, lock it down, and call it an archive? The non responsive for 30 second chunks is directly related to the issues I am working with them on now I believe. I think someone on their end re-configured MySQL and those r-configurations are causing these issues.

As for your suggestion on an archive, That would work if MySQL was functioning properly. At this point I doubt a DB backup would functiona at all, much less a restore and then a trim of that mgnitude.

Morgan Evanar
Apr 1st, 2004, 02:12:57 PM
Ughhhhhhhhhh why did they do that.

Sorry, I'm on 4 hours of sleep, running a fever etc.

What did they do to the SQL db? I mean, jeez.

TheHolo.Net
Apr 1st, 2004, 02:25:36 PM
I don't know. I can't get them to admit they did, but the functions I stated weren't working any more for me, were working last week, so its about the only answer as to why. MySQL must have been tweaked, or something that affected it was.

Right now, one of the host's techs is logged in as my "Ogre" name verifying the problems and trying to figure out how to remedy them.

TheHolo.Net
Apr 1st, 2004, 02:50:16 PM
I don't know. I can't get them to admit they did, but the functions I stated weren't working any more for me, were working last week, so its about the only answer as to why. MySQL must have been tweaked, or something that affected it was.

I have provided the host's techs my "Ogre" administrative name so they can verify the problems and try to figure out how to remedy them.

So if your see "Ogre" logged in without one of my typical IPs its the hosts. After they are through I will change the account's PW again and their access to that account will no longer be vlalid.

TheHolo.Net
Apr 1st, 2004, 04:33:33 PM
mysqldump functioned perfectly, which surprises me with all the query problems I have been having the last couple of days.

Its always a good feeling to have a complete backup in my own possession. Well, I will have the complete backup in my own possession in about another 40 minutes or so. After I get the compressed backup completely downloaded.

Morgan Evanar
Apr 1st, 2004, 04:36:01 PM
Nothing like 200 megs of data to totally saturate a pipe.

TheHolo.Net
Apr 1st, 2004, 06:24:05 PM
The host has now said that a recently visiting cPanel tech did make some MySQL config changes and they are contacting him to revert the settings.

Morgan Evanar
Apr 1st, 2004, 06:25:01 PM
Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay. I don't understand why cpanel is so popular when there have been so many issues with it lately.

TheHolo.Net
Apr 1st, 2004, 06:34:39 PM
I myself like cpanel alot from my side of things. We had it at ochosting too. Compared to what I have at Meras and what we had here before we left Tera-Byte its pretty good stuff. But the newly upgraded ensim at Meras is getting better. I just wish Tera Byte had some good deals on larger hosting packages and that they would offer things like non safe mode PHP. If they did, this site would be hosted there.

Morgan Evanar
May 23rd, 2004, 02:34:37 PM
Bump for peformance crappyness. I don't know what the loads are like, but its crawling.

Navaria Tarkin
May 23rd, 2004, 05:25:59 PM
yeah.. it's been a bear this weekend. Everything was fine for awhile then poof... bizarreness o_O

Navaria Tarkin
May 24th, 2004, 10:15:17 AM
http://sw-fans.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=35832

and apparently one of the links getting here is frelled?

Lilaena De'Ville
May 24th, 2004, 10:23:21 AM
*raises hand* I've noticed the general crappiness of our performance. I've worried about my connection, but Meras works like a charm. So..?

(in fact, it's taking forever for this 'quick reply' to go through.)

Jedi Master Carr
May 24th, 2004, 01:51:31 PM
it was down for me completely earlier and yeah I have noticed the slow connections for replies.

TheHolo.Net
May 24th, 2004, 10:55:57 PM
Yeah. I am aware of the issues with the server and the host is now investigating. I suspect someone started an account on the same server that is taxing it bad, since the first few weeks on this server went pretty smoothly.

And the swforums.net URL is now functional again. The host missed updating it in their DNS info recently but have now readded it.

Jedi Master Carr
May 24th, 2004, 10:59:41 PM
Cool, hopefully they will be able to get the problem fixed :)