PDA

View Full Version : Art of the Wheel of Time

Lilaena De'Ville
Mar 30th, 2004, 01:50:52 AM
I just finished reading the tenth book in the WoT series (ending on a cliff hanger...AGAIN! So frustrating.) and I couldn't sleep tonight...

So this is the result of my late night net wanderings.

http://www.wotism.net/art/Hamilton-Cline This Hamilton Cline draws beautifully, and I had to share. I really like his work. The white on black picture titles "imhere" is probably my favorite of the bunch.

http://www.hamiltondraws.com/?archive=archive/wheeloftime Hamilton's website is AMAZING.

Vampyre Dalamar
Mar 30th, 2004, 03:22:24 AM
Yeah I hate not knowing what happens to Perrins Wife!!!

Lilaena De'Ville
Mar 30th, 2004, 11:19:40 AM
If WoT was a RP, this last book consists of one or sometimes two posts per character. I wish it had been at least three times longer. >_<

Vampyre Dalamar
Mar 30th, 2004, 12:19:32 PM
Yes it branches out. Becoming 4 or 5 different stories yet all tied together! I think its excellent writing. Ive read them all twice some three times. Knowing how big the books are you know thats a lot of reading. But hey, its that good.

Lilaena De'Ville
Mar 30th, 2004, 01:23:49 PM
I agree, I think that the writing is great once you get into it. On the surface it can be a little 'Tolkienish' with all the descriptions, but it makes for a rich background for the imagination.

The only complaint is that it keeps dragging on and on! I don't think I'd complain if I didn't have to wait two years+ for every new book now. I think I'm going to have to pick up the 'prequel' Jordan managed to write (he should have been doing a SEQUEL shame on him!) and get a little read of that.

...Although last night I had a dream that Darkhounds were chasing me. :cry

Pierce Tondry
Mar 30th, 2004, 01:26:03 PM
I stopped reading this series of books a while ago. I understand that Jordan wants this to be a grand epic, but truthfully I think he needs to start wrapping things up. It's just gone on way too long with no clear end in sight.

Sean Piett
Mar 30th, 2004, 03:02:51 PM
I also jumped overboard, somewhere in the middle of the eigth book.

I really recommend the Song of Ice and Fire books, by George R. R. Martin. Awesome series without any of its due recognition. The first book is "A Game of Thrones". I picked it up during one of the slower parts in WoT, and didn't turn back.

I think Crossroads of Twilight is the tenth, right? And the most recent book out? Pick it up (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0553573403/qid=1080680442/sr=8-1/ref=pd_ka_1/103-5361025-0257424?v=glance&s=books&n=507846) while you're waiting for WoT 11.

Lilaena De'Ville
Mar 30th, 2004, 03:46:54 PM
Sean, I also think that G.R.R. Martin's books are superior, although the last one was a little too sexual - more could have been left to the imagination I think. Tirion (can't remember the spelling!) is probably the best fictional fantasy character ever concieved.

However, I've come so far with WoT I won't be called a quitter. I only own two of the books, but I probably will buy the others now that I have a complete Terry Pratchett Discworld book collection. (bwahaha!!) I own all of the A Song of Ice and Fire books. Love 'em. Can't wait for the gal (Danae something?) with the dragons to come to Westeros and claim what's hers!

I need to read these books again, my memory is fading. Any word on when GRRMartin's new book A Feast for Crows is coming out? I thought it was supposed to be fall of this year..

Dasquian Belargic
Mar 30th, 2004, 03:50:07 PM
:thumbup to the art. very nice!

Lilaena De'Ville
Mar 30th, 2004, 04:08:06 PM
Makes me want to draw. :cry

Titus
Mar 30th, 2004, 04:25:54 PM
I stopped reading this series of books a while ago. I understand that Jordan wants this to be a grand epic, but truthfully I think he needs to start wrapping things up. It's just gone on way too long with no clear end in sight.

I've read in several good articles that he plans on ending at book 13.

Sean Piett
Mar 30th, 2004, 05:07:57 PM
Awesome :)

To be honest, I don't think theres a solid release date for AFFC. GRRM is pretty much working at his own pace to get it right.

I'm looking forward to it, though. I'm really looking forward to seeing how things pan out.

I'm also in agreement about how much Tyrion (pretty sure on that) rocks. I really like him, Littlefinger, and Varys.

Lilaena De'Ville
Mar 30th, 2004, 05:24:30 PM
Book 13 makes sense, actually, as the number 13 has significance in the books. (13 Aes Sedai to link together, etc)

Titus
Mar 31st, 2004, 09:24:58 AM
13 doesn't include the three prequels he's working on now though.