PDA

View Full Version : Anh = Fotr?

Dasquian Belargic
Mar 29th, 2004, 11:12:45 AM
At the start of my Film Studies course, the teacher also compared ANH to The Wizard of Oz. I think this is more plausable.

http://www.ameritech.net/users/sean_ohlson/page1.htm

Wei Wu Wei
Mar 29th, 2004, 11:16:37 AM
Wow. Interesting comparison. If that's true, then I wonder where Lucas got the ideas for his first 3 episodes?

Ishan Shade
Mar 29th, 2004, 11:53:15 AM
Interesting comparison indeed....a nice find.

Zeke
Mar 29th, 2004, 12:41:16 PM
However it works. I saw an interview with Lucas that said he was influenced more by The Seven Samurai and The Hidden Fortress than anything else when he was making Star Wars, but meh.

Razielle Shadana
Mar 29th, 2004, 01:31:59 PM
nifty :lol

Ka' el Darcverse
Mar 29th, 2004, 01:52:46 PM
Don't forget, Han/Strider marries Leia/Arwen and rule the NR/Realms of Men benevolently

Marcus Telcontar
Mar 29th, 2004, 02:12:14 PM
Originally posted by Zeke
However it works. I saw an interview with Lucas that said he was influenced more by The Seven Samurai and The Hidden Fortress than anything else when he was making Star Wars, but meh.

Exactly, there may be some influence by LOTR, but it's not that much. Original link is drawing too long a bow.

Dasquian Belargic
Mar 29th, 2004, 02:16:17 PM
I don't think the link is trying to say that he was influenced by it, but that there are a lot of similarities between the two movies (I don't know about the book, because I never finished it :rolleyes)

Figrin D'an
Mar 29th, 2004, 02:59:00 PM
There are just as many similarities between Star Wars and old Saturday morning serials from the '40's and '50's. Or between Star Wars and Kurasawa'a films. That doesn't mean any of the these tell the same story.

The author of that website is taking a very simplistic approach, and neglects a great many things.

imported_Blade Ice
Mar 30th, 2004, 01:39:31 AM
Thats a good read.

All I know is george Lucas didn't know what the heck he was doing when he made the first film and I highly doubt he knows what he is doing now but at least there fun to watch.

Titus
Mar 31st, 2004, 09:32:24 AM
The author of that website is taking a very simplistic approach, and neglects a great many things.

Aye. For instance:

Our hero must first go to the (Mos Eisley Cantina/Prancing Pony Inn) While not far from home, it is the first time (Luke/Frodo) meets other races.

Uh huh, did someone forget buying droids off of Jawa's, or Luke mentioning that he had wanted to go into town?